• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Christian Benteke

We probably need a poll on what people think Spurs should pay for Benteke.

My tuppence is that £25m is too much and I'm sure his wages will be north of 80k too in all likelihood. The way I see it is if we are about to smash our transfer record by some considerable distance then the target should have as little risk associated with it as possible. Yes all transfers have risk but players that have proven it over a number of seasons would likely be deemed as lower risk, I think you'd agree.

I trust the educated opinions of our management to do the right thing, but I also trust what I can see myself and Benteke has not 100% convinced me yet. Benteke at 16mil would be a calculated risk we could rather painfully absorb if need be if things didn't work out. Benteke at 25mil could be our worst ever transfer if things didn't work out. This place would suffer a meltdown of RAWK proportions if Benteke had a poor season for us.

good points.... I think people are more in uproar over a player they have got to know about for one season rather than someone who has been watched in 1-2 confed cup matches.

because he has had a season on view in the epl people are more comfortable bering pro or anti benteke and forming an opinion.

lets be honest the majority of us know sweet fa about paulie but are strangely not rasing much objection that he is our record transfer.......strikers always bring out the best debate.......if we never signed anyone for fear of being one season wonders we would miss out on quality players while our rivals left us behind.

I don't think that's strange. People can't start slating an unknown quantity any more than they can be dancing around the streets about it, hence why the reception's been fairly muted abeit hopeful re Paulinho. As you say most people have seen Beneteke play on numerous occasions.

Why are people so concerned over how many chances a player misses? That doesn't matter. What counts is the number of goals the player scores. The perfect example was Andy Cole. He used to be absolutely slated by fans of other clubs for the number of chances he missed - and yet Alex Ferguson saw it fit to have him as his first choice centre forward in a title winning Manchester United team. Give me a striker who gets 8 chances a game and has a hit rate of 1 goal for every 8 chances any day over a striker who gets 2 chances a game and scores 1 in 3.

If Benteke could get 19 goals while still missing boatloads of chances for a poor Aston Villa side then he must be a phenominal player to get himself into so many goalscoring positions (as well as having the confidence to keep putting himself there after missing so many chances!).

i agree with all this. Some strikers simply have the knack of being in the right place at the right time/all of the time, know how to make good movements in the box to get on the end of crosses/passes. If they miss they miss, at least they were on the end of the chances. I prefer these to those who are static and easily marked out of games.

plus it makes me laugh when people say its easier for Benteke to score goals in a side that has to defend all the time than if he was at Spurs where we would be doing all the attacking and the opposition would have 10 men behind the ball......jeez, Lambert must be brick hot at training his team to counter attack and create a bucket load of chances for Benteke to miss :-k

Why are people so concerned over how many chances a player misses? That doesn't matter. What counts is the number of goals the player scores. The perfect example was Andy Cole. He used to be absolutely slated by fans of other clubs for the number of chances he missed - and yet Alex Ferguson saw it fit to have him as his first choice centre forward in a title winning Manchester United team. Give me a striker who gets 8 chances a game and has a hit rate of 1 goal for every 8 chances any day over a striker who gets 2 chances a game and scores 1 in 3.

If Benteke could get 19 goals while still missing boatloads of chances for a poor Aston Villa side then he must be a phenominal player to get himself into so many goalscoring positions (as well as having the confidence to keep putting himself there after missing so many chances!).

Against the better teams you get a limited number of chances as they usually defend well.

But i guess it doesn't matter if we get two/three chances in 90 minutes, and he misses them all.

Bit silly comparing us to a Manchester United team that were comfortably champions, of course they will have created more chances than we do.

I don't think that's strange. People can't start slating an unknown quantity any more than they can be dancing around the streets about it, hence why the reception's been fairly muted abeit hopeful re Paulinho. As you say most people have seen Beneteke play on numerous occasions.

what I find strange is that a lot of posters were not raising the same concerns fee wise over a player who they have barely seen over someone who outscored defoe & ade.

our cash is precious and its good that peeps don't want us to get ripped off.....obviously.......

in terms of strikers I love it when they stand up to be judged....get themselves in positions to score. more respect than players who hide.

i dont agree with the 25 mill price tag, but like i said earlier if Levy does a deal that amounts to this then I trust we can afford this transfer.

if we do pay this kind of fee, whats the worst that can happen. Even if he flops, surely we will get 10-15 mill by selling him on?

Plus something else to think about. Andy Carroll cost Liverpool 35 mill after half a good PL season. Maybe 25 mill for Benteke is a reasonable deal in comparison ;)

hahahaha, Liverpool even managed to get 15 mill for Carroll from West ham......we may be crazy to pay 25 mill for Benteke, but imo someone even crazier will bail us out if he flops :lol:

Against the better teams you get a limited number of chances as they usually defend well.

But i guess it doesn't matter if we get two/three chances in 90 minutes, and he misses them all.

Bit silly comparing us to a Manchester United team that were comfortably champions, of course they will have created more chances than we do.

Hold on a minute.... Surely by the same analogy that you are quoting comparing Man Utd to us it would also hold true that we would create more chances than Villa seeing as how we missed out on 4th place by 1 point while Villa narrowly avoided relegation?

i agree with all this. Some strikers simply have the knack of being in the right place at the right time/all of the time, know how to make good movements in the box to get on the end of crosses/passes. If they miss they miss, at least they were on the end of the chances. I prefer these to those who are static and easily marked out of games.

plus it makes me laugh when people say its easier for Benteke to score goals in a side that has to defend all the time than if he was at Spurs where we would be doing all the attacking and the opposition would have 10 men behind the ball......jeez, Lambert must be brick hot at training his team to counter attack and create a bucket load of chances for Benteke to miss :-k

I think there are player types, including strikers, that fit a mid or lower half table team better than teams at the top end of the table. I don't see Benteke as that player type though and I'm not quite sure what it is about him that makes people think this.

i dont agree with the 25 mill price tag, but like i said earlier if Levy does a deal that amounts to this then I trust we can afford this transfer.

This is essentially my attitude and why I'm quite relaxed about this one. If we can't make a deal happen for him then we'll get someone else instead.

Hold on a minute.... Surely by the same analogy that you are quoting comparing Man Utd to us it would also hold true that we would create more chances than Villa seeing as how we missed out on 4th place by 1 point while Villa narrowly avoided relegation?

Not really no, the analogy between Villa and us is completely different to the analogy between that Manchester United side and us.

if we do pay this kind of fee, whats the worst that can happen. Even if he flops, surely we will get 10-15 mill by selling him on?

Plus something else to think about. Andy Carroll cost Liverpool 35 mill after half a good PL season. Maybe 25 mill for Benteke is a reasonable deal in comparison ;)

hahahaha, Liverpool even managed to get 15 mill for Carroll from West ham......we may be crazy to pay 25 mill for Benteke, but imo someone even crazier will bail us out if he flops :lol:

This is my thinking as well. We are going to get SOMETHING as a sell on fee. Either 10-15m as you say if he flops or doesn't fit us properly or we will get 40m plus if he moves on to a mega club. I would much rather by someone young like him than an Higuain type who if he flops we will get fudge all

This is my thinking as well. We are going to get SOMETHING as a sell on fee. Either 10-15m as you say if he flops or doesn't fit us properly or we will get 40m plus if he moves on to a mega club. I would much rather by someone young like him than an Higuain type who if he flops we will get fudge all

Higuain is still 25 so I think there will still be an upside regarding him if things dont go well......however, someone like Soldado is the biggest risk of all because he is 28/29 and if he fails in England then his value will plummet quite dramatically.

Not really no, the analogy between Villa and us is completely different to the analogy between that Manchester United side and us.

Ah I see.... So in your view it was OK for Man Utd to have Andy Cole (who was consistently written off by the press/fans of other clubs as requiring umpteen chances to score a goal) because Man Utd created loads of chances so it didn't matter that Cole missed most of them....

Alex Ferguson obviously was able to think "ah well we create so many chances that we can afford to have that useless lump Andy Cole there as if we keep teeing him up he'll fluke one in eventually" Whereas we're not in that lucky position. Villa however - in their eventual successful quest to (narrowly) avoid relegation - are also in that same lucky position as Man Utd where it doesn't matter that their main centre forward can miss a host of chances?

FYI - Benteke scored at a rate of 0.56 goals per game last season. A rate bettered only by Bale (0.64) Van Persie (0.68) and Suarez (0.7). I am thinking that we should be all over signing Villa's entire midfield!!!!.... After all they must've created an unbelievable amount of chances last season for Benteke to have missed a boatload. In fact Villa must've been desperately unlucky to have had to have suffered Benteke up front - I mean just imagine how many goals they would've scored with a decent centre forward able to tuck away all those chances they created! :lol:

Ah I see.... So in your view it was OK for Man Utd to have Andy Cole (who was consistently written off by the press/fans of other clubs as requiring umpteen chances to score a goal) because Man Utd created loads of chances so it didn't matter that Cole missed most of them....

Alex Ferguson obviously was able to think "ah well we create so many chances that we can afford to have that useless lump Andy Cole there as if we keep teeing him up he'll fluke one in eventually" Whereas we're not in that lucky position. Villa however - in their eventual successful quest to (narrowly) avoid relegation - are also in that same lucky position as Man Utd where it doesn't matter that their main centre forward can miss a host of chances?

FYI - Benteke scored at a rate of 0.56 goals per game last season. A rate bettered only by Bale (0.64) Van Persie (0.68) and Suarez (0.7). I am thinking that we should be all over signing Villa's entire midfield!!!!.... After all they must've created an unbelievable amount of chances last season for Benteke to have missed a boatload. In fact Villa must've been desperately unlucky to have had to have suffered Benteke up front - I mean just imagine how many goals they would've scored with a decent centre forward able to tuck away all those chances they created! :lol:

Man United would have been more successful if they had a more clinical striker in place of Cole. However it worked there as Man united had the creativity to create multiple chances for him.

We do not possess the creativity to create large numbers of chances against the teams that sit back. Therefore we need a clinical striker to take the chances that we do create against those sides or we need a playmaker to create more chances.

Signing Villa's midfield would not work, their position in the table would have to be taken into account. They were a relegation threatened side. Do you think teams are going to do more defensive or offensive work for playing a relegation threatened side, or a side that is going to be pushing for Champions League?

Villa were not relegation threatened because their offense sucked. They were a relegation threatened side because their defence sucked.

Last edited:
Man United would have been more successful if they had a more clinical striker in place of Cole. However it worked there as Man united had the creativity to create multiple chances for him.

We do not possess the creativity to create large numbers of chances against the teams that sit back. Therefore we need a clinical striker to take the chances that we do create against those sides or we need a playmaker to create more chances.

Signing Villa's midfield would not work, their position in the table would have to be taken into account. They were a relegation threatened side. Do you think teams are going to do more defensive or offensive work for playing a relegation threatened side, or a side that is going to be pushing for Champions League?

they won the PL, FA cup, CL treble with Andy Cole scoring 25 goals in 50 games that 98-99 season:-k.....i guess if they had lets say Alan Shearer then they would have won the league cup too ;)

think we are the place he wants to be.

question for all the drama queens is

- Would you change your mind if we got Benteke for £17M or £15M +Hudd?

like has been said many times before, swap deals very rarely happen. The deals will be separate, so we will have to do a 25 mill deal for Benteke and if they want Thudd for 7 mill lets say then that will be done separately

Villa fans obviously not happy with him. I did laugh at the one post describing Levy. The ball looks squarely in our court..

http://www.villatalk.com/index.php/topic/9216-christian-benteke/page-481

Levy is tighter than a pair of spandex pants on Gareth Barry

Jesus :lol:

I think Benteke is worth a punt personally, although I wouldn't want to go any higher than £20m I think this could be a very good chance to end the striker problem we've had since Berba left, if this kid fulfills his potential we would have one of the best strikers on the planet with a strike rate better than Berba's. Wouldn't be surprised if it isn't just English clubs after him, can see the likes of Napoli, Inter, Dortmund and Atletico amongst others sniffing around.

he is Belgium, they are all the rage atm...... what can possibly go wrong

Back