• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Christian Benteke

Reports indicate Aston Villa want the Christian Benteke situation solved by the end of the month. Sold or kept. #THFC

At least it'll be ended by the month if true and not drag out through the transfer window.

if Benteke doesnt get his move it will drag on believe me

It was intended as sarcasm, yes. I'm firmly in the camp who would jump at the chance of signing Gomez. THe more prolific the striker the higher up my list of priorities he would be.

I was being sarcastic as some on here don't seem bothered about a striker scoring goals, and are more concerned about him doing anything BUT putting the ball in the net.

strange i had you down as very anti Gomez :lol:

signing a forward who purely scores goals in a team with a similar type of set up to our own would be fine by me as there's more chance of him repeating it with us. signing a player who scores goals for a team which doesn't is a risk as you don't know how he will adapt to the new style of play.

forwards are a funny breed - there are many who look world beaters for one team but put them in an alien environment and the goals dry up. the trick is finding the ones which show the attributes to suggest they can deal with the change - does Benteke do this? Im unconvinced at this point that he has, that's not to say he can't make the step up and If we bid for him then i would assume the club have done their homework and i'll get more on board

No dis-respect to you however I would sincerely hope that AVB and Baldini and our scouting network have a better knowledge of world football than you. If the only man on our CF list is Benteke then we have the wrong people running the football side of our club

if they did why are they going for 25-30 mill rated Benteke??? :)

i don't want to buy a striker to primarily help our counter attacking play when it's our possession based game against inferior opposition which needs the most work

he can hold the ball up and get others involved..... working with his international team mates will also be a plus......they will know his game he will know theirs.....next

he can hold the ball up and get others involved..... working with his international team mates will also be a plus......they will know his game he will know theirs.....next

the second part of that is hardly worth mentioning as id expect any player of ours to know his team mates games by playing with them week in week out for the Club. as for holding up the ball? im more after guile/ingenuity to help us against determined defensive teams - not someone to pump the ball to :p

i don't want to buy a striker to primarily help our counter attacking play when it's our possession based game against inferior opposition which needs the most work

think Benteke is seen as a Drogba type player, not for me a counter attacker, but a bit of a bully/battering ram approach. You look at our issues against the lower level teams (which was the difference between 4th and 5th last year) in the past, too often our strikers just get outmuscled and pushed around (same happens to the Scum over the years as well).

Moyes Everton btw is a perfect example of how a team can use physicality to upset a game, stop a passing/technical team from getting a rhythm and rely on set plays/counters to snatch and grab.

A team with Kaboul/Sandro/Dembele/Paulinho/Bale/Benteke would hardly have to worry about if the opposition wants to get physical

the second part of that is hardly worth mentioning as id expect any player of ours to know his team mates games by playing with them week in week out for the Club. as for holding up the ball? im more after guile/ingenuity to help us against determined defensive teams - not someone to pump the ball to :p

I am not abdicating long ball but he can play the lone striker role in a possession based system he is also deadly on the counter attack. that's my opinion. why is it not worth mentioning - playing with his fellow Belgians will help him settle and they will know when/how he likes the passes played & Visa versa.....how is that not relevant or a positive for a possession game??

but I have stressed in previous posts we need 4 strikers with a blend of attributes. Also his extra goals could mean more points/prizes.

Now that he has handed a transfer request and by all accounts he wants to play for us , we should move quickly and get the deal done and not quibble to much on the price .

http://www.football365.com/f365-features/8816393/Dominating-Benteke-Worth-Every-Penny

He has shown the potential to be a PL top scorer for years to come. 25 million is an inflated price but it's not that much of a standout when you put him up against other top young strikers from around Europe .

click on the image to enlarge
Benteke-WhoScored_2971017.jpg

I am not abdicating long ball but he can play the lone striker role in a possession based system he is also deadly on the counter attack. that's my opinion. why is it not worth mentioning - playing with his fellow Belgians will help him settle and they will know when/how he likes the passes played & Visa versa.....how is that not relevant or a positive for a possession game??

but I have stressed in previous posts we need 4 strikers with a blend of attributes. Also his extra goals could mean more points/prizes.

what I asked was, what is there in his general game that shows he could play for a possession based team to the same level he does for Villa - you spoke about his international team mates and his ability to hold the ball up - neither of which hold much weight with what i was asking - not that they aren't positives.

think Benteke is seen as a Drogba type player, not for me a counter attacker, but a bit of a bully/battering ram approach. You look at our issues against the lower level teams (which was the difference between 4th and 5th last year) in the past, too often our strikers just get outmuscled and pushed around (same happens to the Scum over the years as well).

Moyes Everton btw is a perfect example of how a team can use physicality to upset a game, stop a passing/technical team from getting a rhythm and rely on set plays/counters to snatch and grab.

A team with Kaboul/Sandro/Dembele/Paulinho/Bale/Benteke would hardly have to worry about if the opposition wants to get physical

this is more like it - if we're signing Drogba mkII then id be very happy with that

Circular_reasoning_standard.gif

yeah and Benteke was a belgian league player a year ago

Altidore has improved a lot in the last couple of years. Not everyone is brilliant at 18-20 years of age

He has improved but he still is very limited. His first touch is shocking I would be very surprised if he came close to 10 goals at Sunderland this season

Why do people think we're a possession based team?

possession based may be the wrong term, what I mean is that we need to improve our performances against teams which defend against us - the bulk of our games over the course of a season opponents will set themselves out to stifle us/defend deep - in these games we have the lions share of possession but often lack the nous to do anything with it. as United have proven it's these games which win you titles and as last season proved under AVB it's these which cause us the most problems

what I asked was, what is there in his general game that shows he could play for a possession based team to the same level he does for Villa - you spoke about his international team mates and his ability to hold the ball up - neither of which hold much weight with what i was asking - not that they aren't positives.

this is more like it - if we're signing Drogba mkII then id be very happy with that

so youll jump into bed with raziel but not me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!...................hmmmmmmmmmph.

I think for a striker to be effective in a possession game he needs to be able to hold the ball up and bring others into play, to draw away defenders create spaces through decent movement something which I have seen benteke do.... its not his passing I am worried about, our midfield can take care of that, a lone striker either needs to have pace...or strength or he will struggle to assert himself.......ahhhhhhhhhhh bacon, benteke has both....good I think with benteke we could play short or long if needs be.......variety is the spice of life.

Why do people think we're a possession based team?

We're not, but we're not a pure counter attacking team either. Also worth noting that although we didn't dominate possession last season as we have in the past some of the games where we struggled the most last season was when opponents sat back and allowed us to dominate possession.

We're not, but we're not a pure counter attacking team either. Also worth noting that although we didn't dominate possession last season as we have in the past some of the games where we struggled the most last season was when opponents sat back and allowed us to dominate possession.

to many peeps who creep into their shed at the dead of night & watch highlights of barca on their laptop...creeping out an hour later with an aching wrist.......

sorry to share my night time activities ...

the 15m ball park area is an amount i could live with.

question to those of you who rave about him - had he scored 12 goals (for arguments sake) last season whilst showing the same all round game, do you think you'd be wanting us to sign him? do you think his all round game is good enough to contribute to our teams play minus the goals?

Yes.

He has improved but he still is very limited. His first touch is shocking I would be very surprised if he came close to 10 goals at Sunderland this season

that would be a big improvement on last seasons Ade, 10 goals instead of Ade's 5..........could be the difference between CL or not

Back