• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Christian Benteke

They all seem to think he is worth more along the lines of £30m on that Villa site.

This is going to run for fudging weeks isn't it?

They all seem to think he is worth more along the lines of £30m on that Villa site.

100 % a deadline day jobbo imo

and until then i predict its going to be a dirty affair. Benteke signed for Villa last year on deadline day after threatening to/or going on strike at his former club. looks like Villa are going to be on the other end this time

Given the way Lerner held out on Barry when Liverpool wanted him suggests that they might well stand their ground til Sept 1.

Cant see us going for him given the price tag and find it hard to believe that we cant get greater value elsewhere

Man United would have been more successful if they had a more clinical striker in place of Cole. However it worked there as Man united had the creativity to create multiple chances for him.

We do not possess the creativity to create large numbers of chances against the teams that sit back. Therefore we need a clinical striker to take the chances that we do create against those sides or we need a playmaker to create more chances.

Signing Villa's midfield would not work, their position in the table would have to be taken into account. They were a relegation threatened side. Do you think teams are going to do more defensive or offensive work for playing a relegation threatened side, or a side that is going to be pushing for Champions League?

Villa were not relegation threatened because their offense sucked. They were a relegation threatened side because their defence sucked.

So Man Utd would've been more successful with a more clinical striker.... Then why on earth didn't they play one? I would argue that Man Utd had the name and resources to attract pretty much any centre forward they wanted. The fact that the finest manager English football has ever seen chose to play Andy Cole there speaks volumes. If it was as simple as the rest of the team creating multiple chances for a player who then went and missed most of them then why wouldn't Ferguson simply have replaced that player who missed those chances with a more clinical striker? Do you not think that, perhaps, a huge amount of the battle is getting in those positions to be able to miss (or score) the chances in the first place? I find your analogy incredibly strange.... Why on earth would Alex Ferguson effectively choose to carry a player?

You say that we do not possess the creativity to create large numbers of chances against the teams that sit back and therefore need a clinical striker to take the chances that we do create against those sides or we need a playmaker to create more chances. But have you considered that perhaps what we really need is a striker who is adept at getting himself into goalscoring positions in the penalty area?

Also to take your last point - I would imagine that all of the relegation threatened teams are likely to have done LESS attacking and created LESS chances than a team pushing for the Champions league (I am happy to be proved wrong here though).

Anyway I looked up Benteke's stats in the Premier League last season....

Games Started: 32
Sub appearances: 2
Goals: 19
Assists: 4
Shots: 104
Shots on target: 43

I compared this to Robin Van Persie:
Games Started: 35
Sub appearances: 3
Goals: 26
Assists: 8
Shots: 141
Shots on target: 43

and Gareth Bale:
Games Started: 34
Sub appearances: 0
Goals: 21
Assists: 4
Shots: 165
Shots on target: 73

and Luis Saurez:
Games Started: 33
Sub appearances: 0
Goals: 23
Assists: 5
Shots: 187
Shots on target: 72

So that's the top 4 goal scorers in the league compared....

Van persie gets 30% of his shots on target and scores from 18% of his shots.
Bale gets 44% of his shots on target and scores from 13% of his shots.
Suarez gets 39% of his shots on target and scores from 12% of his shots.
Benteke gets 41% of his shots on target and scores from 18% of his shots.

Does that also mean that Van Persie, Bale and Saurez miss boatloads of chances?.... Or are Benteke's misses actual full on misses where he doesn't even connect with the ball or get his shot away or something and thus skewing the stats? Or did you just see him miss the target with his header at WHL and decide that he must miss loads of chances?

Given the way Lerner held out on Barry when Liverpool wanted him suggests that they might well stand their ground til Sept 1.

Cant see us going for him given the price tag and find it hard to believe that we cant get greater value elsewhere

seriously im struggling to find 3 or 4 alternatives. I said earlier we could have signed Bony and Altidore combined for much less than what Villa want for Benteke

there has been greater value but on a weekly basis the list is dwindling

seriously im struggling to find 3 or 4 alternatives. I said earlier we could have signed Bony and Altidore combined for much less than what Villa want for Benteke

If a player like Altidore is our alternative to Benteke we are truly fudged? Having seen him play quite a lot over the years he isn't even close to the quality of striker we should be looking for cannot believe some even mentioned him as a possibility but I suppose his goal rate this past year put him on the radar again

If a player like Altidore is our alternative to Benteke we are truly fudged? Having seen him play quite a lot over the years he isn't even close to the quality of striker we should be looking for cannot believe some even mentioned him as a possibility but I suppose his goal rate this past year put him on the radar again

If people think JD/Hudd are not good enough, this place would explode with Altidore, that guy is a Championship player level for sure.

think we are the place he wants to be.

question for all the drama queens is

- Would you change your mind if we got Benteke for £17M or £15M +Hudd?

the 15m ball park area is an amount i could live with.

question to those of you who rave about him - had he scored 12 goals (for arguments sake) last season whilst showing the same all round game, do you think you'd be wanting us to sign him? do you think his all round game is good enough to contribute to our teams play minus the goals?

question to those of you who rave about him - had he scored 12 goals (for arguments sake) last season whilst showing the same all round game, do you think you'd be wanting us to sign him? do you think his all round game is good enough to contribute to our teams play minus the goals?

Why couldn't you live with 25m? As far as I'm aware, you're not funding any of this deal? You're just a fan?

Why couldn't you live with 25m? As far as I'm aware, you're not funding any of this deal? You're just a fan?
why stop there? why not 50m? 100m? as long as we get our man right...

why discuss how much we should sell Bale for? how much Modric should have gone for - we don't spend the money as supporters so why does it matter to us?

If he had scored 5 goals less maybe he would have spent more time dove tailing, thus increasing his value by a good five million.

I'm a bit sceptical of Benteke purely because he scored too many goals for my liking.

yes I do - hold up play looks excellent - can you imagine our counter attacking capabilities with him in the side...he will create space for bale and I reckon chip in with a decent wedge of goals.

bit of a strange argument he did score 19 goals an compared to the best strikers in the league ie stats above that's why we do want him.

with the danger of us becoming Belgium fc..... verts, dembele possibly chadli & Benteke... I can see why Benteke will want to come and enhance his national team prospects.

I have given my opinion but Villa are in a strong bargaining position and I don't think levy will pay what they want. so those who don't rate him can feel a little more comfortable compared to those of us who would love to see him in the lilywhite shirt.

If he had scored 5 goals less maybe he would have spent more time dove tailing, thus increasing his value by a good five million.

I'm a bit sceptical of Benteke purely because he scored too many goals for my liking.

is this sarcasm? always find it hard to tell over the interweb...

weren't you dismissing Gomez for the reasons i allude to in my original post? Goals over substance/style of play

yes I do - hold up play looks excellent - can you imagine our counter attacking capabilities with him in the side...he will create space for bale and I reckon chip in with a decent wedge of goals.

bit of a strange argument he did score 19 goals an compared to the best strikers in the league ie stats above that's why we do want him.

with the danger of us becoming Belgium fc..... verts, dembele possibly chadli & Benteke... I can see why Benteke will want to come and enhance his national team prospects.

I have given my opinion but Villa are in a strong bargaining position and I don't think levy will pay what they want. so those who don't rate him can feel a little more comfortable compared to those of us who would love to see him in the lilywhite shirt.

i don't want to buy a striker to primarily help our counter attacking play when it's our possession based game against inferior opposition which needs the most work

is this sarcasm? always find it hard to tell over the interweb...

weren't you dismissing Gomez for the reasons i allude to in my original post? Goals over substance/style of play

It was intended as sarcasm, yes. I'm firmly in the camp who would jump at the chance of signing Gomez. THe more prolific the striker the higher up my list of priorities he would be.

I was being sarcastic as some on here don't seem bothered about a striker scoring goals, and are more concerned about him doing anything BUT putting the ball in the net.

No dis-respect to you however I would sincerely hope that AVB and Baldini and our scouting network have a better knowledge of world football than you. If the only man on our CF list is Benteke then we have the wrong people running the football side of our club

Reports indicate Aston Villa want the Christian Benteke situation solved by the end of the month. Sold or kept. #THFC

At least it'll be ended by the month if true and not drag out through the transfer window.

If people think JD/Hudd are not good enough, this place would explode with Altidore, that guy is a Championship player level for sure.

yeah and Benteke was a belgian league player a year ago

Altidore has improved a lot in the last couple of years. Not everyone is brilliant at 18-20 years of age

Back