• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Christian Benteke

I don't think it's ridiculous at all to pay that money for him. He is class, complete, and would be great for us.

I think its unlikely for Baldini to have an immediate effect, but £25m for Benteke, some people on here think they are playing monopoly, its a ridiculous amount of money for him, £15m at tops, the only other way is player exchange + cash, Utd, Chelsea and City dont spend £25m often.

but he has been doing this job for many years, most recently at Roma, so he must be up to date on all the talented players out there. Coming to Spurs he simply brings along his contacts/knowledge/lists of players and he uses them for us

I don't really question his qualities. I question his suitability to our team. In particular how he plays in a better team that is given no space, where he's confronted with two banks of 4 and needs to craft out his chances.

I think he'd suit us . We're now a team full of beasts and bullies.

I'd get two players in . Benteke and either a Bernard, Lamelar or Erikson would be good.

Ade and Defoe and a few others should be sold on to help fund these two signings.

I really can't understand some of you not in agreement we should get in Benteke

- Powerful
- Good Finisher
- Good hold up play
- Good in the Air
- Young
- Affordable Wages
- Proven in the Premiership

If ever there was a time to break the bank this is it. As others have said, this is make or break year with Bale. With Benteke we could be legit title contenders, he is the type of striker we have been crtying out for.

Is he overpriced? Yes because Villa don't want to sell but there are times when you have to roll the dice and if not now then when?

Also who the fudge else could we get some of you live in a dream world. Leandro would cost us nearly the same and has proven fudge all.

Lastly, those saying we should have went for a cheaper option like Altidore you are fooling yourselves, I have watched him for years he doesn't have the talent Benteke has in his left toe.

but he has been doing this job for many years, most recently at Roma, so he must be up to date on all the talented players out there. Coming to Spurs he simply brings along his contacts/knowledge/lists of players and he uses them for us

It wont happen straight away, he might know of a really good young CB but we dont need another CB, he needs time to evaluate our needs and act accordingly, also we are not the big draw for foreign players as some people think.

- Powerful
- Good Finisher
- Good hold up play
- Good in the Air
- Young
- Affordable Wages

If ever there was a time to break the bank this is it. As others have said, this is make or break year with Bale. With Benteke we could be legit title contenders, he is the type of striker we have been crtying out for.

Is he overpriced? Yes because Villa don't want to sell but there are times when you have to roll the dice and if not now then when?

Also who the fudge else could we get some of you live in a dream world. Leandro would cost us nearly the same and has proven fudge all.

Lastly, those saying we should have went for a cheaper option like Altidore you are fooling yourselves, I have watched him for years he doesn't have the talent Benteke has in his left toe.

He's not a good finisher, he missed boatloads of chances at Villa. He's good in the air, Powerful and young. Technically i do not think he is good enough for a team who will spend most of their time in the opponents half as the opponents have 10 men behind the ball.

Also one year is not proven. One year is better than zero i will grant you, however there are a number of players who have had good first seasons and then gone on the fail miserably the next.

He is vastly overpriced. 25m? currently 25m is rumoured to get you a Higuain or a Jovetic.

Am i against rolling the dice? no, however we would be a year late rolling the dice on Beneteke. We should be looking to pluck the next possible 'benteke' from Europe and groom him ourselves at a much lower cost, which constitutes a much lower risk.

Edit: 'boatloads' is an exaggeration really, but he missed quite a few chances.

Last edited:
£25m is out of our league, silly money for us.

Then why would we spunk 17m on paulie when we so desperately need a striker?????????????????????????

The 'liar liar' film with Jim carrey in the coutroom exclaiming 'WHY WOULD ANYONE WANNA DO THAT?'' springs to mind.

I think its a doable deal even though villa seem to want to punish us over the Jenas loan debacle!!!!

- Powerful
- Good Finisher
- Good hold up play
- Good in the Air
- Young
- Affordable Wages

good shout, great post.

really hope we have the cojones to do this!!!

Then why would we spunk 17m on paulie when we so desperately need a striker?????????????????????????

The 'liar liar' film with Jim carrey in the coutroom exclaiming 'WHY WOULD ANYONE WANNA DO THAT?'' springs to mind.

I think its a doable deal even though villa seem to want to punish us over the Jenas loan debacle!!!!

Do you seriously believe that we have £25m to spend on a single player? Villa dont want to sell so they will demand favourable payments terms, I thing Benteke is a very good prospect but £25m is too much for us, we ought to stop dreaming and look at viable players we can afford.

He's not a good finisher, he missed boatloads of chances at Villa. He's good in the air, Powerful and young. Technically i do not think he is good enough for a team who will spend most of their time in the opponents half as the opponents have 10 men behind the ball.

Also one year is not proven. One year is better than zero i will grant you, however there are a number of players who have had good first seasons and then gone on the fail miserably the next.

He is vastly overpriced. 25m? currently 25m is rumoured to get you a Higuain or a Jovetic.

Am i against rolling the dice? no, however we would be a year late rolling the dice on Beneteke. We should be looking to pluck the next possible 'benteke' from Europe and groom him ourselves at a much lower cost, which constitutes a much lower risk.

-better late than never in terms of rolling the dice
-benteke looks like he is keen to join us unlike hig & Jov
-there are no guarantee's.....how long do you need to judge a player???? he looks like the real deal and suited perfectly to prem and showed good things last season
-His finishing will improve and its better to have a striker hungry to get in position rather than the strikers we have of no movement or gut busting to make a goal happen!!!
-He can hold the ball up and has really good movement he also has pace and strength which helps for counter attacking and against stubborn teams parking the bus.

-there are no guarantee's.....how long do you need to judge a player???? he looks like the real deal and suited perfectly to prem and showed good things last season
-His finishing will improve and its better to have a striker hungry to get in position rather than the strikers we have of no movement or gut busting to make a goal happen!!!
-He can hold the ball up and has really good movement he also has pace and strength which helps for counter attacking and against stubborn teams parking the bus.

It's not better late than never is the price is that high.

How long? I don't know, if i'd watched him and thought 'Yeah he's good enough' then i'd be all for the transfer, that would even be before someone had played in the PL.

How do you know his finishing will improve? Yeah, he got in good positions. In a team like Villa, which will be a completely different prospect to spurs.

The crux of the matter is i have watched him and i do not think he is a good enough player for us to spend 25m. No amount of discussion will alter that.

I think i am going to try and avoid this thread, as i don't really have anything more than that to say on it.

Do you seriously believe that we have £25m to spend on a single player? Villa dont want to sell so they will demand favourable payments terms, I thing Benteke is a very good prospect but £25m is too much for us, we ought to stop dreaming and look at viable players we can afford.

of course we have 25m to spend on one player but it would obviously limit us with other options... apparently we could afford a 17m outlay on two young Croatians who we would even see for six months/year and are unproven/compared to Benteke.

if we are not in for the likes of Bony - Toivonenen its obvious that we want what we deem is a higher standard of striker......this costs bucks I said before I would be shocked if Levy coughed up 25m - no ideally we need to be trying to get him cheaper.......

My point is and I think a few others feel the same is that we don't want to start again with just Ade & effin Defoe - if Villa play hardball and we are running out of time I would absolutely pay 25m million for him because I believe he could make us a ucl club and the prospect of him and bale in the same time is a really exciting one!!!!

of course we have 25m to spend on one player but it would obviously limit us with other options... apparently we could afford a 17m outlay on two young Croatians who we would even see for six months/year and are unproven/compared to Benteke.

if we are not in for the likes of Bony - Toivonenen its obvious that we want what we deem is a higher standard of striker......this costs bucks I said before I would be shocked if Levy coughed up 25m - no ideally we need to be trying to get him cheaper.......

My point is and I think a few others feel the same is that we don't want to start again with just Ade & effin Defoe - if Villa play hardball and we are running out of time I would absolutely pay 25m million for him because I believe he could make us a ucl club and the prospect of him and bale in the same time is a really exciting one!!!!

I am not so sure that we have that sort of money available.

First off his wages will be very reasonable. Apparently his wages are as low as £20k at Villa. So we could offer to triple his wages and that would still be a nice level for us. Ade is on 130k a week, so costing us 6.7m a year in wages. On 60k Benteke would cost us 3.1m in wages. So you have to factor that into the total amount as well that we would pay for him.

yes he is still a bit rough around the edges. All strikers miss chances. But some of his finishing was very accomplished for such a powerful player. Don't forget that Drogba was pretty cack his first year and he got better and better. I expect the same from Benteke. He is young, fast and powerful and can easily settle in with the other Belgian contingent we have at the club.

We whacked out 18m for crappy Bentley, i think we can go over the 20m for a rising star. He scored a lot of goals in a terrible team. We need someone up front who play the channels, hold up the ball and get in the box to finish. He will be vital against teams that sit deep, and from set pieces and corners he could really chip in as well.

It's not better late than never is the price is that high.

How long? I don't know, if i'd watched him and thought 'Yeah he's good enough' then i'd be all for the transfer, that would even be before someone had played in the PL.

How do you know his finishing will improve? Yeah, he got in good positions. In a team like Villa, which will be a completely different prospect to spurs.

The crux of the matter is i have watched him and i do not think he is a good enough player for us to spend 25m. No amount of discussion will alter that.

I think i am going to try and avoid this thread, as i don't really have anything more than that to say on it.

don't take anything I sad in a bad way fella - I respect your opinion and I enjoy a good debate with spurs fans. I would never knock a fellow spurs fan, my apologies if I come across a little strong.......I only want us to do well.... a forum where everyone agrees would be a sad place.

don't take anything I sad in a bad way fella - I respect your opinion and I enjoy a good debate with spurs fans. I would never knock a fellow spurs fan, my apologies if I come across a little strong.......I only want us to do well.... a forum where everyone agrees would be a sad place.

It's nothing personal, just that if i continue i am just going to end up repeating the same points. All of those points are opinions, and the only thing likely to change those opinions would be watching Benteke play.

Edit: 'boatloads' is an exaggeration really, but he missed quite a few chances.

Any good striker misses plenty of chances, I think more importantly is how many do they create which he did plenty in a brick team. I would honestly have him over Jovetic or Higuain and neither of them want to come to us by the way which is another thing many of us are not coming to grips with. There aren't many strikers out there who would vastly improve us and be willing to come to us that is just the reality.

Genuine question, but out of the people with strong views on him, either way, how many games have you watched him, ie full games?
I'll be honest, I don't have SKY or ESPN, so I either go to the Spurs game or go to the boozer, stream, but don't catch many other teams' games.
There's always a lot of Rafa FSW "fact" sentiment, about other players, lol.

Mate, I'm not a 100% convinced by Benteke, but in my opinion, not many of your arguments hold water

- Villa is probably appeasing fans, they may not want to sell Benteke, but that squad badly needs an overhaul and £15-20M would go a long way to helping that.
- The player wants to leave, has handed in a transfer request (weakens their case considerably)
- £25M is probably a PR number, likely to be negotiated down
- None of us know how much money we have (with new TV deal, reasonably flat net spend in recent times, sponsorship renewal)
- Cost of buying player is not full cost, just as people uselessly quote the Scum spend when they tend to "buy" cheap and pay stupid wages, buying "high" with reasonable wages equates to same thing. i.e. Villa at £5M w/120k wages is £4M (give or take) a year more expensive than Benteke at 50K wages. Do the math by 4 years, factor in resale value, how can you say we can afford one and not the other?

Back