• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Christian Benteke

Mate, I'm not a 100% convinced by Benteke, but in my opinion, not many of your arguments hold water

- Villa is probably appeasing fans, they may not want to sell Benteke, but that squad badly needs an overhaul and £15-20M would go a long way to helping that.
- The player wants to leave, has handed in a transfer request (weakens their case considerably)
- £25M is probably a PR number, likely to be negotiated down
- None of us know how much money we have (with new TV deal, reasonably flat net spend in recent times, sponsorship renewal)
- Cost of buying player is not full cost, just as people uselessly quote the Scum spend when they tend to "buy" cheap and pay stupid wages, buying "high" with reasonable wages equates to same thing. i.e. Villa at £5M w/120k wages is £4M (give or take) a year more expensive than Benteke at 50K wages. Do the math by 4 years, factor in resale value, how can you say we can afford one and not the other?

Exactly!! Infact, I believe Graham Hunter last summer said when the Ade deal was completed that it was the most expensive transfer deal (factoring in wages, signing on fees and bonuses over the life of the contract) that Spurs had ever completed!

It's not better late than never is the price is that high.

How long? I don't know, if i'd watched him and thought 'Yeah he's good enough' then i'd be all for the transfer, that would even be before someone had played in the PL.

How do you know his finishing will improve? Yeah, he got in good positions. In a team like Villa, which will be a completely different prospect to spurs.

The crux of the matter is i have watched him and i do not think he is a good enough player for us to spend 25m. No amount of discussion will alter that.

I think i am going to try and avoid this thread, as i don't really have anything more than that to say on it.

Most people agree with you tbh.
I dont wanna see Tottenham spunk 25m on the new Kenywe Jones.

Mate, I'm not a 100% convinced by Benteke, but in my opinion, not many of your arguments hold water

- Villa is probably appeasing fans, they may not want to sell Benteke, but that squad badly needs an overhaul and £15-20M would go a long way to helping that.
- The player wants to leave, has handed in a transfer request (weakens their case considerably)
- None of us know how much money we have (with new TV deal, reasonably flat net spend in recent times, sponsorship renewal)
- Cost of buying player is not full cost, just as people uselessly quote the Scum spend when they tend to "buy" cheap and pay stupid wages, buying "high" with reasonable wages equates to same thing. i.e. Villa at £5M w/120k wages is £4M (give or take) a year more expensive than Benteke at 50K wages. Do the math by 4 years, factor in resale value, how can you say we can afford one and not the other?

they sold Downing for 20 mill, Milner for 26 mill.........you cannot seriously think they will sell Benteke for anything less?

Genuine question, but out of the people with strong views on him, either way, how many games have you watched him, ie full games?
I'll be honest, I don't have SKY or ESPN, so I either go to the Spurs game or go to the boozer, stream, but don't catch many other teams' games.
There's always a lot of Rafa FSW "fact" sentiment, about other players, lol.

I have sky and espn and have watched him at least 10 times....full games.....epl - league cup of course I haven't watched him all my life.

I think this question is good and perhaps more relevant to Paulhinho.

again how long does it take to judge a player??????? There are no guarantees he could be poo. I watch a lot of Spanish footie on sky and Italian on espn, I have been eying strikers from those leagues and epl to see who I would like at spurs. as you do. Benteke looks like he fits the bill imo

Opinion is obviously fairly evenly split in terms of whether people rate Benteke or not (I personally, for all the reasons stated previously by various posters, do not). As this split in opinion highlights, signing him represents a major risk, and obviously proven talent in his age group would be prohibitively expensive. So for me it's whether the risk is worth it or whether we'd be better off spending the money on an older more proven talent (albeit not in the prem) like Soldado or Negredo with little to no sell on value. For me it's the latter as I think the chances of keeping Bale and CL qualification, and therefore our ability to sustain our development over the next few years, are far greater.

Paulinho for 17 mill is as big a shocker as 25 mill for Benteke

Our views really depend on how much Villa play hardball on the price, previously they have not shifted on player valuations when selling, we will soon see as hes been quoted saying we are his prefered destination.

they sold Downing for 20 mill, Milner for 26 mill.........you cannot seriously think they will sell Benteke for anything less?

To clubs that would pay overinflated fees, the only way they will get £25M for Benteke is if Cheat$ki go for him
Add the fact that the Villa that sold the previous players was in a much stronger position that current Villa side. Based on last season, they must be in bookies favorites to go down this year unless they significantly improve the squad.

but he has been doing this job for many years, most recently at Roma, so he must be up to date on all the talented players out there. Coming to Spurs he simply brings along his contacts/knowledge/lists of players and he uses them for us

Part of our approach should be to sign proven Premiership players.

How much did you know about Paulinho before he was linked to us? We've clearly been interested in the Croatian kids, who knows what else has been going on behind the scenes.

It's not like this "match of the day" scouting is obvious anyway. Yes Benteke should be well known to everyone by now, but it's not like he's the only PL striker we could target.

Had match of the day scouting done by fans decided our transfers in recent years we would have signed both Jelavic and Patinkle Cisse. Choosing the actual talents from the one hit wonders is not easy, it's not something fans get right with anything even approaching consistency and if Baldini can help us do that it would make him a massive asset to the club.

I think this as well, one gamble is enough for me.

not when we need someone to bang em in topside........every transfer is a gamble.

I would rather we take a punt and have a chance of not suffering st totteringhams day... that doesn't mean I want us to do a Leeds.....if it stretches us and leaves our kitty empty I still say he his worth it.

To clubs that would pay overinflated fees, the only way they will get £25M for Benteke is if Cheat$ki go for him
Add the fact that the Villa that sold the previous players was in a much stronger position that current Villa side. Based on last season, they must be in bookies favorites to go down this year unless they significantly improve the squad.

we have a history. Bent for 16 mill in 2007 after one and a half good seasons at Charlton was shockingly an overinflated fee. Bentley for 16 mill in 2008 after one good season for Blackburn was even worse. 15 mill for Pavlyuchenko after a just a good Euro 2008.....back then those transfer fees were massive

Now 17 mill for a Brazilian midfielder who only a few years ago was playing in Poland and then in the Brazilian 2nd division?

He's not a good finisher, he missed boatloads of chances at Villa. He's good in the air, Powerful and young. Technically i do not think he is good enough for a team who will spend most of their time in the opponents half as the opponents have 10 men behind the ball.

Also one year is not proven. One year is better than zero i will grant you, however there are a number of players who have had good first seasons and then gone on the fail miserably the next.

He is vastly overpriced. 25m? currently 25m is rumoured to get you a Higuain or a Jovetic.

Am i against rolling the dice? no, however we would be a year late rolling the dice on Beneteke. We should be looking to pluck the next possible 'benteke' from Europe and groom him ourselves at a much lower cost, which constitutes a much lower risk.

Edit: 'boatloads' is an exaggeration really, but he missed quite a few chances.

Why are people so concerned over how many chances a player misses? That doesn't matter. What counts is the number of goals the player scores. The perfect example was Andy Cole. He used to be absolutely slated by fans of other clubs for the number of chances he missed - and yet Alex Ferguson saw it fit to have him as his first choice centre forward in a title winning Manchester United team. Give me a striker who gets 8 chances a game and has a hit rate of 1 goal for every 8 chances any day over a striker who gets 2 chances a game and scores 1 in 3.

If Benteke could get 19 goals while still missing boatloads of chances for a poor Aston Villa side then he must be a phenominal player to get himself into so many goalscoring positions (as well as having the confidence to keep putting himself there after missing so many chances!).

Part of our approach should be to sign proven Premiership players.

How much did you know about Paulinho before he was linked to us? We've clearly been interested in the Croatian kids, who knows what else has been going on behind the scenes.

It's not like this "match of the day" scouting is obvious anyway. Yes Benteke should be well known to everyone by now, but it's not like he's the only PL striker we could target.

Had match of the day scouting done by fans decided our transfers in recent years we would have signed both Jelavic and Patinkle Cisse. Choosing the actual talents from the one hit wonders is not easy, it's not something fans get right with anything even approaching consistency and if Baldini can help us do that it would make him a massive asset to the club.

i was simply saying that there should be no adjustment period required, time needed, to begin to work for Spurs in a productive way. His job is essentially to offer solutions to squad/team positions that need filling. For this he already has the contacts/knowledge/lists of players

we have a history. Bent for 16 mill in 2007 after one and a half good seasons at Charlton was shockingly an overinflated fee. Bentley for 16 mill in 2008 after one good season for Blackburn was even worse. 15 mill for Pavlyuchenko after a just a good Euro 2008.....back then those transfer fees were massive

Now 17 mill for a Brazilian midfielder who only a few years ago was playing in Poland and then in the Brazilian 2nd division?

good points.... I think people are more in uproar over a player they have got to know about for one season rather than someone who has been watched in 1-2 confed cup matches.

because he has had a season on view in the epl people are more comfortable being pro or anti benteke and forming an opinion.

lets be honest the majority of us know sweet fa about paulie but are strangely not rasing much objection that he is our record transfer.......strikers always bring out the best debate.......if we never signed anyone for fear of being one season wonders we would miss out on quality players while our rivals left us behind.

Last edited:
i was simply saying that there should be no adjustment period required, time needed, to begin to work for Spurs in a productive way. His job is essentially to offer solutions to squad/team positions that need filling. For this he already has the contacts/knowledge/lists of players

I agree with that, but that was part of the conversation where you asked what the point was with Baldini if we were going to spend massive amounts of money on Benteke or something to that effect.

Why are people so concerned over how many chances a player misses? That doesn't matter. What counts is the number of goals the player scores. The perfect example was Andy Cole. He used to be absolutely slated by fans of other clubs for the number of chances he missed - and yet Alex Ferguson saw it fit to have him as his first choice centre forward in a title winning Manchester United team. Give me a striker who gets 8 chances a game and has a hit rate of 1 goal for every 8 chances any day over a striker who gets 2 chances a game and scores 1 in 3.

If Benteke could get 19 goals while still missing boatloads of chances for a poor Aston Villa side then he must be a phenominal player to get himself into so many goalscoring positions (as well as having the confidence to keep putting himself there after missing so many chances!).

Yep couldn't agree more.

Back