• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Christian Benteke

how about when Chelsea took when they signed Drogba for 24 mill way back in 2004 after he had 2 good seasons in the French league? Plus Drogba was 26

id say that if Benteke had 3 good seasons in the PL, was consistently proven as you say, then he would be in the 40-50 mill bracket. Would he be any more certain to be a success at Spurs then? would you pay 40-50 mill on the back of 3 good seasons?

what is the bigger risk....25 mill for one PL season wonder Benteke who is 22 years old, or lets say 25 mill for 3-4 La Liga season wonder Robert Soladado who is 28 years old.

I don't really question his qualities. I question his suitability to our team. In particular how he plays in a better team that is given no space, where he's confronted with two banks of 4 and needs to craft out his chances.

I've quoted the above post as it sums up my worries entirely. Darren Bent was pretty good in a team nobody bothered to defend against either - Benteke has never had to deal with a team parking the bus as we do in the vast majority of our matches.

And I think your valuation is massively overstated. £40-£50 million is sugar daddy money or real world class player money. If Benteke were proven he'd be worth the £25M Villa are quoting, as he's not you have to halve that at least to take the risk factor into account.

If someone could guarantee me 25 goals a season from Benteke for the next 3 seasons I'd say buy him for £25 million now, but let's not forget that's more than RVP (probably one of the top 10 players in the world) went to Utd for.

I've quoted the above post as it sums up my worries entirely. Darren Bent was pretty good in a team nobody bothered to defend against either - Benteke has never had to deal with a team parking the bus as we do in the vast majority of our matches.

And I think your valuation is massively overstated. £40-£50 million is sugar daddy money or real world class player money. If Benteke were proven he'd be worth the £25M Villa are quoting, as he's not you have to halve that at least to take the risk factor into account.

If someone could guarantee me 25 goals a season from Benteke for the next 3 seasons I'd say buy him for £25 million now, but let's not forget that's more than RVP (probably one of the top 10 players in the world) went to Utd for.

To be fair RVP had a year remaining but I get your point £25m is £25m.

The thing is - who are we to say we dont have £25m or we dont want to spend £25m etc etc etc (its been said throughout). £25m is a hell of a lot of money for someone who hasnt, as far as im concerned, proven it yet - one more season then we are talking. Then again he may well be worth £30m in future who knows.

Every transfer has a risk its about mitigating it and taking a calculated one. The calculated one - benteke? £25m? may well be worth it.

Ultimately we are not in a position to pick and choose strikers - theyre at a premium, costly and we are not in the elite (yet).

RVP was 30 years old, only had a year left on his contract and was commanding wages of around £200k a week. The transfer fee may have been similar but the overall package would be very different.

well Villa/Lerner have been well known for getting top dollar for their players, Levy style.....26 mill for Milner, 18 mill for 1 year left on his contract A Young, 20 mill for Stewart Downing :ross:=D>....i mean, Levy is not gonna get away with low balling Lerner, not a chance.

Lerner massively overvalues his players but it seems someone always comes along and obliges. i just hope Levy isnt wasting his time on this. If we have no intention of going anywhere close to what Villa want then we need to walk away and move onto the next target

Yeah. You also have to consider a player's attributes. What has he demonstrated?

Power? Yep
Pace? Yep
Strength? Yep
Work-rate? Yep
Aggression? Yep
Movement? Yep
Eye for goal? Yep

All those attributes will still be there guaranteed next season. The only ones that aren't guaranteed are:

Confidence
Happiness etc

Obviously these can have a big influence on the raw attributes, but we have a really solid squad unity, a couple of Belgians in the team already. We have a good coaching set up and excellent facilities and we have a recent good track record of developing players.

His potential is enormous. He could easily be for us what Drogba was for Chelsea. You HAVE to gamble on him before he becomes that good, as we won't have a hope in hell's chance of getting him once/if he is.

=D> 100% in full agreement, good post.

I'm worried about that and as I don't rate his first touch, I'm even more worried.

It'd also be so typical of us to pay top dollar for a player who has had one good season at a lower midtable club for him to only flop at our place. We've seen it with Bent and Bentley & yes, Benteke unfortunately starts with the same 4 letters too :(

RVP was 30 years old, only had a year left on his contract and was commanding wages of around £200k a week. The transfer fee may have been similar but the overall package would be very different.

I'm not sure contract length matters here as Benteke is forcing a move anyway.

Age will come into it, but let's not forget that we're talking about one of the better players in world football - and people want us to spend more on Benteke?

He may well continue his form - more likely he will than won't IMO, but you can only take a £25m risk when £25m isn't a huge amount of money to you.

None of us know what exact money we have to spend but I can guarantee we can't afford to get a £25m gamble wrong.

I'm not sure contract length matters here as Benteke is forcing a move anyway.

Age will come into it, but let's not forget that we're talking about one of the better players in world football - and people want us to spend more on Benteke?

He may well continue his form - more likely he will than won't IMO, but you can only take a £25m risk when £25m isn't a huge amount of money to you.

None of us know what exact money we have to spend but I can guarantee we can't afford to get a £25m gamble wrong.

if Levy gets it wrong its all his fault anyway for not buying a decent striker sooner :) fcuk him

Reaction as to whether people would pay 25m is very mixed.

I really don't get the 'yeah but he'll do the dirty on us in a year' aside from the fact that Levy is to smart and we would still benefit financially if he was a success. Christian Benteke cares about Christian Benteke's career!!!!!!! we as spurs fans care about finishing in the top 4 and finishing ahead of the other lot!!!!!!!I am like B clough in that I believe in fairies but people most understand that clubs use players and players use clubs we are an attractive proposition to many players but we fall under the line because we are not a super power driven by an oil barren!!!! Berbatov & Modric was a brilliant point made earlier......both loved seeing them play in a spurs shirt....but they used us and housed no loyalty.

So the question is Do you think Benteke could make the difference in finishing in the top 4 and having a pop at some trophies? Do you think he will progress and prove to be an astute investment...like Berba and Modric??????

People seem to want guarantees which you will never get in transfers!!!! I will admit when we signed Bentley my man utd supporting best mate was jealous and I was giving him the wan*** sign in the face....look how that turned out.

People seem to want a proven done it striker that costs about 15m will be on well under 100k a week who loves spurs and will confess their undying love for us every day, has no injury record, has no affiliations with arsenal,is good looking with a solid contract from GHod that ordaines he will score 25 goals for spurs next season!!!!

Bottom Line.....We can get him! wages affordable......he's effin good don't worry about teams that park the bus......he bullies defenders unlike JD & ade........he will improve imo............Yep 25m at this stage of his career is steep and of course its a gamble but what isn't in life!!!!!!!!!!!!if we can but we have to pay 25m then I am all for it....I know that football is defined by fine margins and I believe that Benteke in a spurs shirt will make the difference for us!!!

yeah, spending 25 mill on Benteke defeats the object of having someone like Baldini who is supposed to find us highly talented players at reasonable prices

jeez, i can be director of football at Spurs if we go around buying MOTD players

Reaction as to whether people would pay 25m is very mixed.

I really don't get the 'yeah but he'll do the dirty on us in a year' aside from the fact that Levy is to smart and we would still benefit financially if he was a success. Christian Benteke cares about Christian Benteke's career!!!!!!! we as spurs fans care about finishing in the top 4 and finishing ahead of the other lot!!!!!!!I am like B clough in that I believe in fairies but people most understand that clubs use players and players use clubs we are an attractive proposition to many players but we fall under the line because we are not a super power driven by an oil barren!!!! Berbatov & Modric was a brilliant point made earlier......both loved seeing them play in a spurs shirt....but they used us and housed no loyalty.

So the question is Do you think Benteke could make the difference in finishing in the top 4 and having a pop at some trophies? Do you think he will progress and prove to be an astute investment...like Berba and Modric??????

People seem to want guarantees which you will never get in transfers!!!! I will admit when we signed Bentley my man utd supporting best mate was jealous and I was giving him the wan*** sign in the face....look how that turned out.

People seem to want a proven done it striker that costs about 15m will be on well under 100k a week who loves spurs and will confess their undying love for us every day, has no injury record, has no affiliations with arsenal,is good looking with a solid contract from GHod that ordaines he will score 25 goals for spurs next season!!!!

Bottom Line.....We can get him! wages affordable......he's effin good don't worry about teams that park the bus......he bullies defenders unlike JD & ade........he will improve imo............Yep 25m at this stage of his career is steep and of course its a gamble but what isn't in life!!!!!!!!!!!!if we can but we have to pay 25m then I am all for it....I know that football is defined by fine margins and I believe that Benteke in a spurs shirt will make the difference for us!!!

haha i like your passion for this transfer Nigeyman :)

and the highlighted part is so true ....:lol:

10 mins left of the transfer window

Do you buy Benteke for £25m or suffer with Ade im fudgein brick and cant be fudged and Defoe (who I like)?

I am not going to endure another season of those two

I posted this in the striker poll thread but i'll post it here too as this seems to be the main striker thread now

For the reported £25m it will take to get Benteke, would Javier Hernandez not be a viable option? With Rooney looking like he may stay and RVP and Welbeck ahead of him I think we'd have a decent chance of signing him. He's always played great when I've seen him and his work rate is also very good. He may not be as young as Benteke (25 now) but I certainly think he's more skilfull and a better finisher.

His record last season in the PL was a goal every 95 minutes which is truly superb. Imagine how good he could get with playing 90 minutes every week rather than coming on as a super sub all the time.

I posted this in the striker poll thread but i'll post it here too as this seems to be the main striker thread now

For the reported £25m it will take to get Benteke, would Javier Hernandez not be a viable option? With Rooney looking like he may stay and RVP and Welbeck ahead of him I think we'd have a decent chance of signing him. He's always played great when I've seen him and his work rate is also very good. He may not be as young as Benteke (25 now) but I certainly think he's more skilfull and a better finisher.

His record last season in the PL was a goal every 95 minutes which is truly superb. Imagine how good he could get with playing 90 minutes every week rather than coming on as a super sub all the time.

I have said about Hernandez in another thread - his movement is sublime - I would like both....lol but then we are really hunting down the back of the sofa for loose change. Minimum 3 but imo we need 4 strikers with a blend - if it was a choice between the two I would go for Benteke because I think there is more potential and he can play the lone striker role more effectively. doubt manu would sell him to us they would be looking to move him on abroad if the player wanted a move.

Hypothetically say Villa actually do want £25m for Benteke and GHod forbid we actually want to buy him, I would structure the payments with a lot of bonuses.

If Villa think he is actually worth £25m then they must factor in clauses

1. lump sum up front, say £10m
2. £5m over the next 4 seasons (term of contract without extension)
3. 20+ PL goals the £5m payment rises to £10m over 4 seasons
4. £5m sell on fee

If they really think he's worth £35m, then 20+ goals is a cinch. That's the £25m there, or something like that.

Hypothetically say Villa actually do want £25m for Benteke and GHod forbid we actually want to buy him, I would structure the payments with a lot of bonuses.

If Villa think he is actually worth £25m then they must factor in clauses

1. lump sum up front, say £10m
2. £5m over the next 4 seasons (term of contract without extension)
3. 20+ PL goals the £5m payment rises to £10m over 4 seasons
4. £5m sell on fee

If they really think he's worth £35m, then 20+ goals is a cinch. That's the £25m there, or something like that.

i think thats exactly how Levy will try and structure the deal, along those lines anyway.

we could have signed Bony, Altidore and Eriksen for what it will cost to sign Bentekkers :-k

yeah, spending 25 mill on Benteke defeats the object of having someone like Baldini who is supposed to find us highly talented players at reasonable prices

jeez, i can be director of football at Spurs if we go around buying MOTD players

i thought those days were going to end when Arry left and AVB became manager? that's what i heard on here a lot anyway.

I think its unlikely for Baldini to have an immediate effect, but £25m for Benteke, some people on here think they are playing monopoly, its a ridiculous amount of money for him, £15m at tops, the only other way is player exchange + cash, Utd, Chelsea and City dont spend £25m often.

i thought those days were going to end when Arry left and AVB became manager? that's what i heard on here a lot anyway.

im beginning to doubt how much say AVB has on transfers. Most likely he gives his opinion/targets and whoever really makes the decisions goes on and does their own thing

Back