• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Christian Benteke

This is going off track and into transfer policy territory, but what the hell...

We are not desperate.

We are trying to compete with clubs with significantly bigger budgets than ourselves. We must make smart moves in the transfer market to continue our progress.

Getting desperate, rushing, potentially overpaying is not the answer imo. We have to find the right deals at the right price.

If Chelsea want Benteke and he prefers going there it pretty much doesn't matter how hard or how quickly we push. We won't get him. If he's Chelsea's backup option, or someone they're just keeping tabs on we could save millions by not rushing the deal. Millions that can then be spent elsewhere.

Maybe I am confusing the clubs desperation with my own....lol

I wonder if there was a poll 'are we desperate for a striker?' I wonder what the percentages will be?

We cant go into the season with just defoe & ade again if we had at least 1 more striker then defoe & ade would have had better seasons due to not being rushed back from injury or playing when they were tired.

what is desperation. If we want to stay where we are then no we are not desperate......if we want to try and establish ourselves as a ucl club then I think we are in desperate need of extra quality firepower up front.

I say we are desperate...I fully appreciate that arse & chels and man u & city can blow us out of the water....... wages wise Benteke is doable and concerning the fee if we dawdle and other teams ramp up their interest then we will be priced out of a bidding war.#

Most fans I know are desperate for a striker because they like me are desperate for spurs to succeed.......yes we may save a few million quid OR we could miss the boat like last season and miss out on ucl cash....

Fine fudging margins - I love most of our team but Benteke could make a massive difference positively for us which is why im Desperate for us to sign him!!!!! I don't want us to do a pompey/ Leeds but this guy is worth the punt imo.

He's not a 1 season wonder though. He scored exactly the same amount of goals for Genk in the previous season. He's consistent. My concern is the number he spends at a club. Gone from Genk (one season) to Aston Villa (potentially one season). Could he be gunning for a bigger move if he impresses for Spurs?

Chances are if he were to impress with us we'd have a very good chance of CL qualification. If that were tge case then im sure we'd be able to keep hold of our 'star' players - anyone wanting to sign our stars from us will have to cough up big bucks

So win-win basically

Hi folks.

New on here but been reading for a while. This Benteke stuff has provoked me to register.

Anyway, reading folk saying they don't want him. I can't understand that. He scored plenty and was massively influential in a poor side last season. He was absolutely incredible at times when I watched Villa last year. Great touch for a big man but more than capable of playing aggressively as well. A total leader of the line that would create space for Bale/Sigurdsson etc in the final third. He's quality.

Financially £20m may seem steep but realistically another 20 goal season from him and he's worth £30+ and out of our price range. He'll be on circa 50K a week should he sign, well within budget as well. I, personally, would expect us to tempt Villa with £15m plus a combination including one or two of Naughton/Townsend/Livermore. Lambert likes Naughton whilst Townsend/Livermore fit his transfer policy and would improve Villa.

We've just saved plenty with Gallas and Bentley off the books and have agreed high fees twice in the past 12 months (Moutinho/Paulinho). Key to all of this IMO is that Bale is a safeguard for Levy. He knows that he can spend this summer safe in the knowledge that Bale will fetch £50m minimum next year if it all goes pear shaped. It's almost a no lose scenario for Spurs. If it works then then Spurs could literally challenge for the title this year. If it doesn't then Levy sells Bale next year and balances his books anyway.

Redknapp sold him cause he missed that header, silly old taco.

Benteke missed a similar easy header at WHL last season with the goal gaping in front of him and no-one marking him :-k

I hate this one season wonder / flavour of the month flimflam. Spurs aren't in a position where they can wait and sign a striker who proves himself over a number of years, we have to take calculated risks every now and then. I'd rather we potentially overpay on Benteke than be sat here in September still with Defoe and Ade because we couldn't pull the trigger.

I hate this one season wonder / flavour of the month flimflam. Spurs aren't in a position where they can wait and sign a striker who proves himself over a number of years, we have to take calculated risks every now and then. I'd rather we potentially overpay on Benteke than be sat here in September still with Defoe and Ade because we couldn't pull the trigger.

I agree to some extent at least, in essence every transfer we make is a calculated risk.

we also aren't in a position to splash money on the next Michael Ricketts.

there are plenty of examples of players who looked unstoppable in their first season in the Premiership only to never reach those heights again and it's more than a fair worry for people to have.

Why can't we go and take a 'risk' on Lambert then? He'd be cheaper.

Why can't we go and take a 'risk' on Lambert then? He'd be cheaper.

I know what your take is Mumorn, but don't think the Lambert = Benteke comparison is quite on.

For what it's worth (not my info), one of the commentators of Fox Soccer just claimed Benteke is having a medical with us ...

I know what your take is Mumorn, but don't think the Lambert = Benteke comparison is quite on.

For what it's worth (not my info), one of the commentators of Fox Soccer just claimed Benteke is having a medical with us ...

I'm not comparing Lambert to Benteke.

I'm just saying, why not bring him in? He will bring us everything Benteke will bring us, except he's more proven in England. Scored goals at every level. He wouldn't be £25m+

there are plenty of examples of players who looked unstoppable in their first season in the Premiership only to never reach those heights again and it's more than a fair worry for people to have.

I agree with you Billy but at the same time we have been banging on about a striker for a while now. Ade, in my view, wasnt AVBs first option and to be frank I think most of us knew what was coming this season with Ade - we were warned by others.

In my view we cannot wait for the perfect striker, they will cost too much or wont come or are at such a premium we will be waiting a very long time. We need a striker and badly in my view. I dont think we should be splashing £20-£25m on a Benteke but we do need a striker.

I think people jump on the bandwagon - Michu? Benteke? Lambert? all proven it once in the premiership. Now I know bringing in a striker from outside the league will contradict the whole one season wonder as they will have had zero experience in the PL but they are cheaper.

fudge - 25m can buy you a Dzeko? Higuain? and then there is Benteke.

There are also plenty of players who have looked unstoppable and have continued to look unstoppable for many years to come. All transfers have their risks. If Benteke had had an average career and was 27/28 and managed the season he had last year, that's the kind of player I'd be wary of, that's a one season wonder to me. Not a highly promising young player at the beginning of his career. I really don't know what people want but apparently it's a proven top level striker who has done it over many seasons and one that won't cost too much and would be happy to join Tottenham Hotspur - I suggest those people come and join me in the real world.

I agree with you Billy but at the same time we have been banging on about a striker for a while now. Ade, in my view, wasnt AVBs first option and to be frank I think most of us knew what was coming this season with Ade - we were warned by others.

In my view we cannot wait for the perfect striker, they will cost too much or wont come or are at such a premium we will be waiting a very long time. We need a striker and badly in my view. I dont think we should be splashing £20-£25m on a Benteke but we do need a striker.

I think people jump on the bandwagon - Michu? Benteke? Lambert? all proven it once in the premiership. Now I know bringing in a striker from outside the league will contradict the whole one season wonder as they will have had zero experience in the PL but they are cheaper.

That's once more than Dzeko who you seem to think would be a good buy at £25m?

That's once more than Dzeko who you seem to think would be a good buy at £25m?

I know a bit more about Dzeko than I did about Michu and Benteke. Dzeko has proven it in a decent German league and has proven it here. Michu? Benteke? not sure before here and have only proven it in a season. I suspect Michu will not be as effective this season only time will tell. Benteke may well be as he does look like a good player.

What's Dzeko actually proven here though? That he's ok? He hasn't exactly looked like the elite level striker he was billed to be. For £27m and over £100k a week I'd say he's been very underwhelming. I don't really care about Michu and Lambert, my main point was with Benteke. I just don't really see why you'd be fine with paying £25m for Dzeko who's five years older and hasn't had a season as impressive as Benteke's despite playing for one of the top two teams in the league.

I hope we go for Benteke, I like him, but not only that, I don't see a plethora of great striking talent out there. I can't say I'm an expert on some leagues but I get the feeling people on here and football fans in general elevate players playing in other countries purely because they're playing in another country.

While I take your point that £25 million (might) be able to buy you a Dzeko or Higuain you first have to consider the fact whether either of them would be likely to drop from a title challenging, guaranteed Champions League team from one of the top leagues to a hoping to nick 4th place, Europa League contender. There is then also the overall cost to the club. I would imagine that over a 5 year contract a Dzeko or Higuan would costs around £150k a week on top of the transfer fee - that equates to a total of around £64 million over the 5 years with the transfer fee. I would imagine that a player like Benteke would be more like £60k or so a week - so around £40 million over that same period.

I think I would probably rather have Benteke than Dzeko anyway.... I like Dzeko's ability to hold the ball up but worry about his lack of pace.

Benteke does represent something of a gamble, but it would seem to me to be a pretty well calculated one and I'm all for it if we can get him (and - you never know Villa might be interested in a reasonable portion of the fee in a player or two).... they have previously been in interested in Naughton and it wouldn't surprise me if Lambert wanted to add someone like Parker to give them a bit of experience in midfield.

Back