• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Christian Benteke

i get the feeling that Benteke's all or nothing.

i've not seen masses of him, but what i have he's either single-handedly destroying a (poor) Liverpool team in an even poorer Villa side or he's like Emile Heskey in disgiuse; the ball bouncing off him all over the shop.

he's young, clearly got plenty of attributes but i'm not sure he has the all-round game (yet) and i don't know that our lovely lot would give him time if he doesn't hit the ground running.

anything north of £20m is steep, but with resale value, reasonable wages and the possibility of 15+ goals, then maybe it's a punt worth taking, bearing in the mind the cost and availability of the alternatives.

that's settled it, i've talked myself into it.

f*****g hell, Levy and Baldo, hurry UP!

25m for Benteke? In that case lets go for the Soldado's, Dzekos of this world who have proven it for more than a season. My view.

i dont want us to pay so much for Benteke, unfortunately I cant see many other options. Soldado apparently doesnt want to leave Valencia/Spain, is very into his home comforts, Dzeko is an option but maybe Pellegrini has plans for him and wont sell

25 mill for any of those 3 is a massive risk for various reasons. thats why i was much more in favour of 6 mill for Altidore who i think will have a Benteke like impact for Sunderland next season.

Buying talented players for low fees always tend to work out better in the long run imo

no offence dude but you submitted a post in aunty Pauline thread...something along the lines of:

'why are we huffing and puffing over a midfielder when we need a striker!'

This is a potential answer to our striker woes and you yourself are huffing and puffing lol........whilst I totally get you may not rate him that your opinion and I have respect for it. It would be nice if you would offer up your honest opinion on 3-4 strikers we should really be in for.....you watch a lot of games/players so must have a few in mind you would like us to be in for.....

we have just spunked 17m on aunty Pauline and most are not questioning this ?????????????? yet we have a player who ripped teams to shreds in our league is a Belgium international.......bottom line most of us have seen benteke to form an opinion........we know jack about Paulie.

the 25 mill price tag on Benteke's shoulders is going to be a very heavy burden to carry. The kind of expectation it creates has broken many a good player

no offence dude but you submitted a post in aunty Pauline thread...something along the lines of:

This is a potential answer to our striker woes and you yourself are huffing and puffing lol........whilst I totally get you may not rate him that your opinion and I have respect for it. It would be nice if you would offer up your honest opinion on 3-4 strikers we should really be in for.....you watch a lot of games/players so must have a few in mind you would like us to be in for.....

we have just spunked 17m on aunty Pauline and most are not questioning this ?????????????? yet we have a player who ripped teams to shreds in our league is a Belgium international.......bottom line most of us have seen benteke to form an opinion........we know jack about Paulie.

£17,000,000 is a lot for a midfielder when we need a striker. Then we are going to go and spend £25m+ on a striker? I don't see it personally.

to be fair Mumorn did offer one interesting option, Phillip Hosiner....again will be cheap, looks like a natural finisher, has a bit of Lewandowski about him imo

[video=youtube;_imk5fM9mXM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=_imk5fM9mXM[/video]

that video is the only time ive seen Hosiner.

24 years old though, 32 goals in 36 games last season.

£17,000,000 is a lot for a midfielder when we need a striker. Then we are going to go and spend £25m+ on a striker? I don't see it personally.

£17m isnt a great deal if you have £100m. Its got to be in context. We dont know how much we have to spend. Im assuming we have around £20m to spend on a striker otherwise £17m spent on a midfielder when we have £10m left to buy a striker would be ridiculous I agree.

Whilst midfield is vitally important, I see a striker as a priority and if we can spend £17m on a midfielder I am sure we can spend just as much if not a bit more on a striker.

If we went for Benteke, we really are going for a battering ram approach.

Really don't see us spending £25M, but math is a strange thing that Levy has mastered
- Is £23M (assuming Levy negotiates something) +60K in wages any different from £15M (outside of Villa, any striker will cost a minimum of) +100K in wages over a 4 year contract?
- even more interesting if we added a player ala Hudd to bring the cost down (as it would be less output, and wage trade as well)

Not saying Benteke is the answer, but for all the people saying we would never pay that much
- Outside of the odd case like Villa/Ade, what do you think a striker better than JD/Dempsey will cost?
- Wages, Benteke is on low wages, so even doubling his wages keeps him well under what other player might want

you are right in the respect as time goes by Valencia may be more flexible.... but we have played this game before with little reward...

If we are desperate to push on to establish ourselves in the top 4 with a chance of winning trophies then we need to act.... im not comfortable in the slightest with just 2 strikers....WE ARE DESPERATE if we have a limit of signing him whats the point in waiting on Benteke - Villa are in a decent position it makes no sense to wait.....now seems to be the perfect opportunity to go in hard when arse chels pool have so many ins & outs in the limbo stage.

This is going off track and into transfer policy territory, but what the hell...

We are not desperate.

We are trying to compete with clubs with significantly bigger budgets than ourselves. We must make smart moves in the transfer market to continue our progress.

Getting desperate, rushing, potentially overpaying is not the answer imo. We have to find the right deals at the right price.

If Chelsea want Benteke and he prefers going there it pretty much doesn't matter how hard or how quickly we push. We won't get him. If he's Chelsea's backup option, or someone they're just keeping tabs on we could save millions by not rushing the deal. Millions that can then be spent elsewhere.

If we went for Benteke, we really are going for a battering ram approach.

Really don't see us spending £25M, but math is a strange thing that Levy has mastered
- Is £23M (assuming Levy negotiates something) +60K in wages any different from £15M (outside of Villa, any striker will cost a minimum of) +100K in wages over a 4 year contract?
- even more interesting if we added a player ala Hudd to bring the cost down (as it would be less output, and wage trade as well)

Not saying Benteke is the answer, but for all the people saying we would never pay that much
- Outside of the odd case like Villa/Ade, what do you think a striker better than JD/Dempsey will cost?
- Wages, Benteke is on low wages, so even doubling his wages keeps him well under what other player might want

Very good point, wages play a massive part for us.

Yep wages could be Levy friendly for Benteke, as if he turns out to be turd we can shift him on (unlike Ade)

Wonder if Verts and Dembele may have an inside track if we have eyes for Benteke.

Yep wages could be Levy friendly for Benteke, as if he turns out to be turd we can shift him on (unlike Ade)

Wonder if Verts and Dembele may have an inside track if we have eyes for Benteke.

In addition to being good if a player flops and the obvious monetary savings low wages are great if the player is a massive success as it puts us in a much stronger position to renegotiate a new contract.

Modric signed a 6 year deal because his initial wages were (reportedly) low. We also got Bale to sign a new contract and we're still in a position to potentially renegotiate another extension with him. For Modric it obviously put us in a much stronger position when Chelsea and later Madrid came calling, allowing us to keep him another year and make a very tidy profit in the end. For Bale only time will tell I suppose.

Had they (or similar players) been signed on initial massive wages there could easily have been issues to get them to extend their contracts when they turned out to be awesome. I think Arsenal have had problems with this with some relatively high wages being given to some of their players coming in, there are many other examples around the football world as well of course.

BKZBdlWCYAIdJbZ.jpg

He's not a 1 season wonder though. He scored exactly the same amount of goals for Genk in the previous season. He's consistent. My concern is the number he spends at a club. Gone from Genk (one season) to Aston Villa (potentially one season). Could he be gunning for a bigger move if he impresses for Spurs?

Back