• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Andre Villas-Boas - Head Coach

Re: ***The Official AVB Discussion Thread***

I thought this too up until the summer. It dawned on me when he bought Paulinho and then Capoue when we already had Sandro and Dembele. We where never gonna play a real meaningful possession game with any combination of that midfield.

I see your point, but I actually saw Capoue as a utility player for the DM and CB spots, and Paulinho as a Lampard-esque box-to-box goalscoring striker. I wonder how much he flirted with the idea of keeping Carroll and giving him some proper time, as he is precisely the sort of player who could make things happen in the creative area...

I hope you're right my friend.

In the meantime, another supportive piece, this time from the Fail's Martin Samuel, the writer who helped Harry with his book…BTW, nice of Harry to make some comments too. He hasn't been our manager for over a year yet he still has plenty to say about us. FFS. What a joke! Why not ask Jol what HE thinks too while they're all at it…

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2513987/Andre-Villas-Boas-best-thing--elses-fault--MARTIN-SAMUEL.html

I expect they have but Jol has too much class to comment

If this was politics, I'd say Hytner's been briefed by a whistleblower.

It stinks of it.

He is not often off the mark and has very good connections to the parts of the club that actually count.

I'm sorry to say it looks very, very ominous right now for AVB, and I hate saying that.

I expected media games in the coming days, but this is not a game piece, it's a statement. Very different. There is no lack of conviction to it. In fact, I do not remember ever having read a piece on a manager's future that was so crisp and 'press release' like…

Swings and roundabouts…I wonder…from Levy's standpoint, he spent nothing in the summer so anything he gets is a bonus. We still have the Lewis loan. I hope upon hope it isn't what I see right now, because my entire core is repulsed by the 'instant gratification' generation, but these are different times and there is little doubt that no manager is EVER going to get the amount of time I believe they deserve to implement a long-term system which works. The days of Fergie's Man U have been shot down by oligarchs and oil barons…

The whole thing is very very depressing to me...

This. Admittedly, we are currently a shambles, and a lot of that is down to AVB. But if this article is indeed based on leaked information from the board, I'd be very, very disappointed, because it shows that we're not just disorganized on the pitch: we're disorganized at the board level as well. Giving a man 110 million pounds and then sacking him 12 games later is pure madness for a club of our means and stature. For better or worse, the board have given AVB their support. If they're considering withdrawing it this early into their great 'leap into the future', then frankly there's more wrong with this club than just the coach atm.

The guy had a one to one interview with Sandro a few days ago.
http://www.theguardian.com/football/2013/nov/23/sandro-tottenham-manchester-city

Do you honest think Sandro believes he is now 'behind Capoue?'

I KNOW of occasions in the media when journos meet somebody get an article out of it by TOTALLY mis-representing the flow of the discussion. Just because he had a one-on-one chat with Sandro DOES NOT mean he cannot stir things up Sandro related.

Frank Bruno was giving an interview about some charitable work he was involved with to the Guardian/Observer only for the article to scream 'Mad Bruno hit the pits' or something similar. The front page of the paper had a snaphot of him bending over to avoid hitting a low ceiling and they took that snaphot of him holding his head as though he had his head in his hands and 'breaking down'...oh and a small little footnote mentioned the charity....

Media can always stir things and thus Hytner article looks like another stirring one to do with AVB and Spurs

I KNOW of occasions in the media when journos meet somebody get an article out of it by TOTALLY mis-representing the flow of the discussion. Just because he had a one-on-one chat with Sandro DOES NOT mean he cannot stir things up Sandro related.

Frank Bruno was giving an interview about some charitable work he was involved with to the Guardian/Observer only for the article to scream 'Mad Bruno hit the pits' or something similar. The front page of the paper had a snaphot of him bending over to avoid hitting a low ceiling and they took that snaphot of him holding his head as though he had his head in his hands and 'breaking down'...oh and a small little footnote mentioned the charity....

Media can always stir things and thus Hytner article looks like another stirring one to do with AVB and Spurs

The truth.
In this case, I'd be worried about the source...

The truth.
In this case, I'd be worried about the source...

Could be somebody at club who simply doesn't like AVB and is adding a bit of spice to some things. Could even somebody high up like Sherwood - remember the fiasco about players not liking training - ironically before our match away at Manure last season??

Could be somebody at club who simply doesn't like AVB and is adding a bit of spice to some things. Could even somebody high up like Sherwood - remember the fiasco about players not liking training - ironically before our match away at Manure last season??

I think it was NWND!:-k

So two competitors Hytner at the Guardian and Barlow at the Mail decide to publish the same story with the exact same behind the scenes insights at the same time.

Hytner "He called for the club to present a member of the medical department before the press to offer a full explanation, which did not happen, and the effect was to make Villas-Boas look isolated and at odds with the doctors."

Barrow "Villas-Boas called on the club to provide a member of the medical staff for media questions after Lloris was surprisingly absent against Saudi Sportswashing Machine but no-one was made available"

Hytner "Villas-Boas said that the City loss ought to have provoked shame in the players, which went down badly in the dressing room."

Barrow "And, on Sunday, he upset the players by claiming they ought to be ashamed of the performance at the Etihad Stadium..."

So two competitors Hytner at the Guardian and Barlow at the Mail decide to publish the same story with the exact same behind the scenes insights at the same time.

Hytner "He called for the club to present a member of the medical department before the press to offer a full explanation, which did not happen, and the effect was to make Villas-Boas look isolated and at odds with the doctors."

Barrow "Villas-Boas called on the club to provide a member of the medical staff for media questions after Lloris was surprisingly absent against Saudi Sportswashing Machine but no-one was made available"

Hytner "Villas-Boas said that the City loss ought to have provoked shame in the players, which went down badly in the dressing room."

Barrow "And, on Sunday, he upset the players by claiming they ought to be ashamed of the performance at the Etihad Stadium..."

Actual quote: "WE have to be ashamed of OURSELVES and WE have to react to a defeat like this". See hear: http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/25079456

Yes, media stirring!!

- He's got 1 1/2 year left of his contract with us
- He has said that he wants to quit managing quite young
- He has also said he'd want to coach in Spain and South-America

How likely is it really that Andre Villas Boas will become our "Alex Ferguson" or "Arsene Wenger" (sorry), or someone who will start a "dynasty" for us? How likely does it really look now that he will eventually take us to the top and stay with us? He's obviously desperate to not fail for the second time in England, would not be good for his reputation, but everything points towards him leaving at the first opportunity if he indeed succeeds (say win a trophy) with us. He didn't do it this summer, but he had a point to prove, that he could handle a second season with a base of players he had picked himself (I really don't believe Baldini went in and purchased all the players without AVB having any say in it).

The way I see it, we should ideally give him to the end of the season, just to not look like a complete set of tossers. Like someone else pointed out, investing 100 million in a team only to sack the manager 12 matches later doesn't exactly reek of someone who knows what they're doing.

But in the end, I can't help thinking we're just not going to have AVB as our manager in the long term anyway.

How likely is it really that Andre Villas Boas will become our "Alex Ferguson" or "Arsene Wenger" (sorry), or someone who will start a "dynasty" for us? How likely does it really look now that he will eventually take us to the top and stay with us? He's obviously desperate to not fail for the second time in England, would not be good for his reputation, but everything points towards him leaving at the first opportunity if he indeed succeeds (say win a trophy) with us. He didn't do it this summer, but he had a point to prove, that he could handle a second season with a base of players he had picked himself (I really don't believe Baldini went in and purchased all the players without AVB having any say in it).

The way I see it, we should ideally give him to the end of the season, just to not look like a complete set of tossers. Like someone else pointed out, investing 100 million in a team only to sack the manager 12 matches later doesn't exactly reek of someone who knows what they're doing.

But in the end, I can't help thinking we're just not going to have AVB as our manager in the long term anyway.

This is a very good point. He's stated he wants to quit managing after 5 or 10 years to move into other things.

Thing is Levy doesnt give a **** what the media think of him. He sacked Jol, Ramos and Redknapp at times when very few Chairman would.

if this happens I'm probably
gonna go from a staunch Enic supporter to wanting them out as soon as possible

we'll never succeed with such a short term attitude to management

It all depends on what happens next. Even if Chelsea didn't get the right guy in straight away, they still won the CL. It's not the head coach that's building a dynasty, it's the club. We must find someone who can work with the squad we have, no ripping up of plans or transition season while a new squad is assembled.

Every sacking since 2004 has come after long(ish) periods of decline, to the point where a change had to be made. I do think the club is in a much better shape now and only minor adjustments would be needed.

Surely the 'ourselves' part includes the players?

Of course it does, but why should the players be immune to criticism?

Their performance, regardless of the system in place, was nothing short of shameful.. Truly embarrassing effort.

Back