• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Andre Villas-Boas - Head Coach

Re: ***The Official AVB Discussion Thread***

Honestly I can really see him going this weekend if we don't win.

Some have said they think that Levy will give him time but it's not often Levy gives a manage the whole of the income we get from sales, this time he has and it's a world record fee he's chucked into the coffers and one which he spent months of very hard work obtaining.

I can see Levy getting very angry at how things are going and how lackluster and mundane our performances are. He'll be expecting a top 4 finish this season more than ever and I think even by his standards the trigger won't take long to be pulled.

Noooooo. If he takes everyone to Tromso, he will deserve to get sacked for that decision alone.

Forget Tromso. Use all his so called brilliant tactical genius to get us three points off each of United, Fulham and Sunderland. Show us all he is a top coach. Stop leaving his hidden talents for another day. Show us all what he can do NOW.

Doesn't matter anyway, the wheels are turning regardless of whatever ******** we exchange mate…for the record, he has to show up in Tromso it's an obligation (he is contractually obliged to be at the press conference, etc)…I fear he is retreating back into his nervous and OCD shell right now. He is learning how to handle extreme pressure, but he has not learned yet. It's a great shame…

I'll use this post as an opportunity to answer Jurgen's question of earlier with regards to what I see as his grand plan.

I believe his first objective was to assemble a squad of players who could all play several different styles and positions in their respective areas. Footballers who could quickly adapt and switch according to the ebb of the game.

I believe his plan was to play high-line football with full-backs pushing on to supply width and inverted wingers used to check in and make channel runs/runs/get into creative spaces.

I believe that from day one he craved Moutinho, a passer, and that this type of player remains the one he needs to get it all flowing.

I believe that he wanted us as a team to both dominate possession and slowly pick teams off, squeezing the play and controlling the game, in effect playing the game in the other team's half.

I believe that his first order of call was to make sure the defense was tight and the keeper played as an auxillary defender, watching for breakthroughs and snuffing out whenever the defense could not recover.

I believe that he was looking to eventually develop several points of sustained attack by virtue of controlling the ball; through the channels, from the overlapping full-backs, and from the inverted wingers. Essentially looking to blitz with quick to-feet touches and movement around the box, sustained pressure being the safe-cracker.

I think he was probably 60% of the way there. PERSONALLY, I would like to see him approach a slightly more 'sheepskin coat' approach to management sometimes, where he occasionally drags a case of beer into the dressing room and reinforces the camaraderie and togetherness that these highly paid children need nonetheless. I would like to see him employ a bit more psychology in this regard. I am sadly convinced that due to a lot of new faces, due to not ever getting 'the player' he REALLY wanted, and due to the increasing pressures and expectations of managing a club like ours, some of his old nervous tics have reappeared. His comments about the fans, whilst 100% correct IMO, were ill-advised. His comments during the Lloris saga, whilst once again not the worst, were once again ill-advised. And again, even though I agree with everything he said post-Sunday, those are the times you have to either take it on YOUR OWN shoulders as the manager, or write it off as a freak. When Martinez's Wigan lost 9-1 at ours, he wrote it off. I'll bet he didn't in the dressing room. So inexperience and nerves rising to the surface again…

It's all really sad. All of it. I mean look real LIFE is obviously much sadder, but in the football sense and as Spurs supporters, this is all really sad.

I hope I'm wrong, but I hear the bell tolling in the background…again, hope it's actually someone's car alarm!!!!

Honestly I can really see him going this weekend if we don't win.

Some have said they think that Levy will give him time but it's not often Levy gives a manage the whole of the income we get from sales, this time he has and it's a world record fee he's chucked into the coffers and one which he spent months of very hard work obtaining.

I can see Levy getting very angry at how things are going and how lackluster and mundane our performances are. He'll be expecting a top 4 finish this season more than ever and I think even by his standards the trigger won't take long to be pulled.

You honestly think Levy will judge AVB against getting a win against Manure - something only he our of our last 6/7 managers has done in the last 12 years??
If Levy is close to the trigger surely he'll judge more harshly if we lose at Fulham

I'm just hoping levy remembers how he's handled this situation before and how long it took to normalise afterwards

also previously he has only acted when relegation looked possible, even if we don't score another point this season we are gonna finish comfortably ahead of palace/Sunderland/fulham/west ham

This is mostly nonsense. The media didn't have a problem with Wenger or Mourinho, managers who brought in very professional set ups into their teams. Ferguson's teams were hardly 'go and ****ing kick it about'. Ancelotti?

The only thing I agree with is that I don't think he's near the sack and the media printed the same bullcrap last season before we won at OT.

The thing that has shaken me is that Hytner is very well connected and this piece is unlike any I've ever read. It really does read like he's been briefed by someone...

I don't think it is agent of players.
Its from within the Tottenham board.

It looks like Levy wants him out and is flying a kite for the idea in the media to see how the supporters react to the idea.

When I made my initial comment I had not yet seen Hytner's piece. having seen it, I agree with you 100%. Discussed it with a few other people who also feel the same.

How 'well-connected' to Spurs is Hytner really??
What's the proof of the 'connections'?

Doesn't matter anyway, the wheels are turning regardless of whatever ******** we exchange mate…for the record, he has to show up in Tromso it's an obligation (he is contractually obliged to be at the press conference, etc)…I fear he is retreating back into his nervous and OCD shell right now. He is learning how to handle extreme pressure, but he has not learned yet. It's a great shame…

I'll use this post as an opportunity to answer Jurgen's question of earlier with regards to what I see as his grand plan.

I believe his first objective was to assemble a squad of players who could all play several different styles and positions in their respective areas. Footballers who could quickly adapt and switch according to the ebb of the game.

I believe his plan was to play high-line football with full-backs pushing on to supply width and inverted wingers used to check in and make channel runs/runs/get into creative spaces.

I believe that from day one he craved Moutinho, a passer, and that this type of player remains the one he needs to get it all flowing.

I believe that he wanted us as a team to both dominate possession and slowly pick teams off, squeezing the play and controlling the game, in effect playing the game in the other team's half.

I believe that his first order of call was to make sure the defense was tight and the keeper played as an auxillary defender, watching for breakthroughs and snuffing out whenever the defense could not recover.

I believe that he was looking to eventually develop several points of sustained attack by virtue of controlling the ball; through the channels, from the overlapping full-backs, and from the inverted wingers. Essentially looking to blitz with quick to-feet touches and movement around the box, sustained pressure being the safe-cracker.

I think he was probably 60% of the way there. PERSONALLY, I would like to see him approach a slightly more 'sheepskin coat' approach to management sometimes, where he occasionally drags a case of beer into the dressing room and reinforces the camaraderie and togetherness that these highly paid children need nonetheless. I would like to see him employ a bit more psychology in this regard. I am sadly convinced that due to a lot of new faces, due to not ever getting 'the player' he REALLY wanted, and due to the increasing pressures and expectations of managing a club like ours, some of his old nervous tics have reappeared. His comments about the fans, whilst 100% correct IMO, were ill-advised. His comments during the Lloris saga, whilst once again not the worst, were once again ill-advised. And again, even though I agree with everything he said post-Sunday, those are the times you have to either take it on YOUR OWN shoulders as the manager, or write it off as a freak. When Martinez's Wigan lost 9-1 at ours, he wrote it off. I'll bet he didn't in the dressing room. So inexperience and nerves rising to the surface again…

It's all really sad. All of it. I mean look real LIFE is obviously much sadder, but in the football sense and as Spurs supporters, this is all really sad.

I hope I'm wrong, but I hear the bell tolling in the background…again, hope it's actually someone's car alarm!!!!

Lots of very good points in your post Steff. For me though if AVB has been given all the players he wants EXCEPT the Moutinho-type player he should be able to get us playing better than we have. Or tell Levy categorically that he needs that Moutinho-type player above all else.

The thing that has shaken me is that Hytner is very well connected and this piece is unlike any I've ever read. It really does read like he's been briefed by someone...

it's still a bit a-level though, a team that cost 100m shouldn't lose to west ham, shouldn't they play 2 up front

it's not the work of someone who understands football IMO

We shall see mate, but he is not someone who stirs the soup without knowing ALL the ingredients...

Not sure about that personally; surely it's the sort of article you write before the Fulham game NOT before the game against the Champions (who we've beaten once in 12 years..)

it's still a bit a-level though, a team that cost 100m shouldn't lose to west ham, shouldn't they play 2 up front

Plus the sketchy details such as the 'ashamed' comments as being not about him as well, plus the 'Sandro behind Capoue'

Way too sketchy imo

Regardless of that mate, and you might well be right, the bottom line is it really feels like a big wheel is turning...

Not sure about that personally; surely it's the sort of article you write before the Fulham game NOT before the game against the Champions (who we've beaten once in 12 years..)

Again, I hope I'm hearing a car alarm, but this could be setting the table before dinner's actually ready? I cannot put my finger on it, but this absolutely got me. Only a total rebuke, and stiff retort from Donna Cullen, would convince me otherwise right now...

Regardless of that mate, and you might well be right, the bottom line is it really feels like a big wheel is turning...

Nah, have faith Steff; there were articles ,like this last autumn when we were WINNING ffs

The Guardian is no friend of Spurs (or AVB) remember.

Let see how the players play for him against Tromso as well; if they want him gone and see a possibility that this article has any merit they'll play like turd in Norway

if this happens I'm probably
gonna go from a staunch Enic supporter to wanting them out as soon as possible

we'll never succeed with such a short term attitude to management

if this happens I'm probably
gonna go from a staunch Enic supporter to wanting them out as soon as possible

we'll never succeed with such a short term attitude to management

I'm veering towards this. Arsenal and other fans may have been laughing after Sundays bad scoreline, but they'll laugh much louder if we sack AVB so soon...

I thought this too up until the summer. It dawned on me when he bought Paulinho and then Capoue when we already had Sandro and Dembele. We where never gonna play a real meaningful possession game with any combination of that midfield.

Nah, have faith Steff; there were articles ,like this last autumn when we were WINNING ffs

The Guardian is no friend of Spurs (or AVB) remember.

Let see how the players play for him against Tromso as well; if they want him gone and see a possibility that this article has any merit they'll play like turd in Norway

I hope you're right my friend.

In the meantime, another supportive piece, this time from the Fail's Martin Samuel, the writer who helped Harry with his book…BTW, nice of Harry to make some comments too. He hasn't been our manager for over a year yet he still has plenty to say about us. FFS. What a joke! Why not ask Jol what HE thinks too while they're all at it…

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2513987/Andre-Villas-Boas-best-thing--elses-fault--MARTIN-SAMUEL.html

just looking at our previous manager list, there is only one post war manager in our history who didn't need 3 seasons to pick up a trophy, Juande Ramos

that's Bill Nic, Arthur Rowe, Keith Burk, El Tel, all would have been cast aside by current standards

Back