• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Andre Villas-Boas - Head Coach

Re: ***The Official AVB Discussion Thread***

Do you think David Hytner has got nothing better to do then have a go at AVB out of nowhere.
I'd understand if it was one of the usual anti AVB media outlets like talksport or the like or one of Harry mates.
But this guy has been behind AVB and writing whatever the Tottenham Press Office direct him to like a boring club reporter.

AVB and Spurs are big BIG news right now; so riding the wave and reporting more negativity would only happen if he has 'nothing better to do'??
Guardian is not pro-Spurs. Are you saying this guy has NEVER written an article on AVB that WASN'T positive?

Dawson doesn't always play well, no player is perfect every game, even Ledley had bad games.

Do you think David Hytner has got nothing better to do then have a go at AVB out of nowhere.
I'd understand if it was one of the usual anti AVB media outlets like talksport or the like or one of Harry mates.
But this guy has been behind AVB and writing whatever the Tottenham Press Office direct him to like a boring club reporter.

yes, he's a football journo, most of the time there is no news yet they still have to file ten thousand words

I'd love to know the percentage of printed football conjecture that doesn't come to pass, it's gotta be in the 90's

With regard to the Guardian.

Tottenham used Hyther in the summer to leak to in an attempt to get an upper hand during the Bale negotiations.
Remember when Madrid backed off after the Morata swap story - http://www.theguardian.com/football/2013/jul/31/tottenham-gareth-bale-alvaro-morata

David Hynter also reported that AVB turned down PSG and Madrid to stay at Spurs: http://www.theguardian.com/football/2013/aug/16/andre-villas-boas-tottenham

Did they leak that as well? Makes AVB look good, not sure about us or the Board though

If this was politics, I'd say Hytner's been briefed by a whistleblower.

It stinks of it.

He is not often off the mark and has very good connections to the parts of the club that actually count.

I'm sorry to say it looks very, very ominous right now for AVB, and I hate saying that.

I expected media games in the coming days, but this is not a game piece, it's a statement. Very different. There is no lack of conviction to it. In fact, I do not remember ever having read a piece on a manager's future that was so crisp and 'press release' like…

Swings and roundabouts…I wonder…from Levy's standpoint, he spent nothing in the summer so anything he gets is a bonus. We still have the Lewis loan. I hope upon hope it isn't what I see right now, because my entire core is repulsed by the 'instant gratification' generation, but these are different times and there is little doubt that no manager is EVER going to get the amount of time I believe they deserve to implement a long-term system which works. The days of Fergie's Man U have been shot down by oligarchs and oil barons…

The whole thing is very very depressing to me...

Martin Samuel of The Daily Mail. A West Ham fan, his own agenda, a media mate of Redknapp, and a huge apologist of the latter.

Unbiased and balanced journalism? Bollox.

The press. I stopped taking them seriously when Led Zep's In Through The Out Door was slaughtered in the press, after being released. And that was 1978.

Next.....

It stinks of it.

He is not often off the mark and has very good connections to the parts of the club that actually count.

I'm sorry to say it looks very, very ominous right now for AVB, and I hate saying that.

I expected media games in the coming days, but this is not a game piece, it's a statement. Very different. There is no lack of conviction to it. In fact, I do not remember ever having read a piece on a manager's future that was so crisp and 'press release' like…

Swings and roundabouts…I wonder…from Levy's standpoint, he spent nothing in the summer so anything he gets is a bonus. We still have the Lewis loan. I hope upon hope it isn't what I see right now, because my entire core is repulsed by the 'instant gratification' generation, but these are different times and there is little doubt that no manager is EVER going to get the amount of time I believe they deserve to implement a long-term system which works. The days of Fergie's Man U have been shot down by oligarchs and oil barons…

But if he really has been briefed, why would get something so fundamentally wrong like mis-quoting AVB about the club being 'ashamed' of the loss and using it to mean everyone else except him being ashamed??
Why the business about Sandro being behind Capoue?? WTF??

Would a REAL whistle blower get these basics wrong??

same here, I'm actually struggling to decide on who I would want to take over if he does get the sack, it's a mental shift for me, if we give up on this plan that easily there is no hope for us, we can't buy the finished article, we have to build our way up

I'd like to believe that we can be cute and canny and think our way to a title and a European cup, if that's not the case then I'm not sure I care anymore, the game
is all about winning, if you have no chance of winning then what's the point

It stinks of it.

I'm with you on this one. Especially as we came so close to another year of CL in Redknapp's last season. This is all so very sexy - choking and losing vital points, Chel$ki winning the CL after both Barca AND Bayern miss crucial penalties. Ahhh, this is sadly the very essence of what it is to be a Spurs fan over the past 20 years.

COYS!!!!

Simply causing unnecessary unrest at Tottenham?

Date: 26th November 2013 at 6:34 pm
Written by Ollie Bishop | Comments (2)

The press can be cruel even at the best of times, but with Tottenham manager AVB they always seem to reserve a special brand of spite. The prodigal understudy to Mourinho has never been welcomed on our shores; his arrival at Chelsea was greeted with suspicion and his move to North London with ridicule.

Spurs fans probably think pundits have it in for the club itself, but in my opinion this all part of a much nastier targeted campaign against the Portuguese tactician. Turn the clock back 12 months and the situation wasn’t too dissimilar; suggestions from certain corners that AVB has a couple of game to save his job, that he had lost the dressing room and that he was a fraud.

So even after a 6-0 Premier League drubbing, it would perhaps be wise to take some of the press fallout with a pinch of salt. Jan Vertonghen even went some way to dispelling suggestions that the AVB tenure was beginning to crumble, speaking to the Guardian he had the following to say:

“Is there a problem between the players and the manager? Absolutely not. There are also no troubles between [individual] players. This [defeat] was painful. Also the way we lost. I’ve the feeling I want to play this game again.”

“We even could have conceded more goals. This is a painful experience, but it’s just a snapshot. Not everything is lost. Not only the defence was to blame, the whole organisation wasn’t there. The manager tries to make the right choices. Sometimes the choices turn out to be good, sometimes not.”

Vertonghen himself has been branded as unhappy because he has been forced to play out wide to cover for Danny Rose; of course the Belgian wants to play centre half but as a stop gap this is hardly the start of a revolution. Similarly stories have emerged in the press that Dembele is unhappy at playing time and on his way out of the club in January. In my opinion you should be more worried when a player doesn’t see lack of playing time as a concern, you want all of your squad pushing for a first team place and to be hungry for it; this isn’t the calamity that so many media sources would have you believe.

So why the unrest?

Spurs have always had more than their fair share of ridicule; it comes with the territory. A side that has traditionally flattered to deceive, snatching defeat from the jaws of victory on numerous occasions. The tortured existence of a Spurs fans is something that even they laugh about; this isn’t anything new.

What has changed though is the way in which the media are digging their claws into the manager, this isn’t a jovial attack but something much more vindictive. Even when Spurs saw a revival under AVB during the middle part of last season there was never a sense of apology from those that had castigated him, rather a wave of silence waiting to pounce at the next sign of weakness. That time has clearly come, and the vultures are circling.

For me what separates AVB from many of the established managers is a new brand of footballing intellectualism. Gone is the whole go out and enjoy yourselves mentality, replaced by a much more calculated way of playing the game, something that Spurs fans should relish after the ‘Del Boy and Rodney’ approach of the last regime. It is different to what you would get from say an Allardyce or even a David Moyes, it doesn’t surprise me that Chelsea nicknamed him ‘DVD’.

AVB has brought a new brand of professionalism to Spurs, and unsurprisingly this just doesn’t wash with the media. Harry Redknapp, the media darling, replaced by the polar opposite in AVB. There does seem to be an aversion to change and a general lack of patience as soon as times get tough, the whole if it ‘ain’t broke don’t fix it mentality’.

At Spurs though the ambition is much greater than settling for second best, Levy has a vision for the club and feels a change in approach is necessary to achieve these goals. It may not be pretty or even successful in the short term, but the club are clearly willing to show the degree of patience that seems lost on the press.

I don’t know if there is just a severe bout of anti-intellectualism amongst certain parts of the media or simply a personal issue with AVB, but it certainly isn’t necessary and clearly isn’t helping.

Is it time to give AVB a break?

Would be a shambles if AVB was sacked in the coming months

This is mostly nonsense. The media didn't have a problem with Wenger or Mourinho, managers who brought in very professional set ups into their teams. Ferguson's teams were hardly 'go and ****ing kick it about'. Ancelotti?

The only thing I agree with is that I don't think he's near the sack and the media printed the same bullcrap last season before we won at OT.

Basically this means that this year is a waste as will next year be when our new manager has to have a year to try to bring through his own ideas and players.

The media have always had daggers for AVB, they don't like him because he doesn't fit in with what they like. Jaimie Redknapp takes a pop at Spurs every chance he can because his dad got the sack, he's actually the worst one out the lot for slating us.

The media have always had daggers for AVB, they don't like him because he doesn't fit in with what they like. Jaimie Redknapp takes a pop at Spurs every chance he can because his dad got the sack, he's actually the worst one out the lot for slating us.

Funny thing is that Jamie was slating us big tome immediately before his dad got the job as well, lol.

This is mostly nonsense. The media didn't have a problem with Wenger or Mourinho, managers who brought in very professional set ups into their teams. Ferguson's teams were hardly 'go and ****ing kick it about'. Ancelotti?

The only thing I agree with is that I don't think he's near the sack and the media printed the same bullcrap last season before we won at OT.

Tbf, the media give less time to foreign managers in terms of of long they judge them. All the above foreign ones you mentioned hit the ground running and took over teams that were very near the top anyway.

If they had the exact same wobbles that an equivalent British manager did they would see more negative headlines - unless of course like the like of Harry, Fergie, Wenger, Jose et al they hbad built up many friends in the media industry.

If Harry had gone through a similar run that AVB (and had spent the same amount etc) is whilst we might be up in arms do you think the media would be calling for his head?

Back