• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Andre Villas-Boas - Head Coach

Re: ***The Official AVB Discussion Thread***

Regarding Liverpool, used by many as an example: They are NOT bedding in a lot of players. Of the 8 players signed this summer only Mignolet started against Everton. The rest barely makes the bench.

Last season Rodgers was under heavy criticism as they looked **** poor and clueless at home. This season they are far more settled, but rely on either Sturridge or Suarez to do something.

Wow, what an absolutely massive steaming pile of utter tripe. There is so much nonsense in that story that is so easy to tease out that I just don't think it's worth bothering mentioning any of it. Awful, awful article and Neil Ashton just shows himself up to know not very much about football.

Good on Jan though, great quotes and exactly what I was looking to see. With the players on board we can still have a good season.

Wow, what an absolutely massive steaming pile of utter tripe. There is so much nonsense in that story that is so easy to tease out that I just don't think it's worth bothering mentioning any of it. Awful, awful article and Neil Ashton just shows himself up to know not very much about football.

Good on Jan though, great quotes and exactly what I was looking to see. With the players on board we can still have a good season.

We don't know if they're on board though? Vertonghen doesn't speak for everyone and he might not be telling the truth anyway.

Regarding Liverpool, used by many as an example: They are NOT bedding in a lot of players. Of the 8 players signed this summer only Mignolet started against Everton. The rest barely makes the bench.

Last season Rodgers was under heavy criticism as they looked **** poor and clueless at home. This season they are far more settled, but rely on either Sturridge or Suarez to do something.

No they didn't...they looked very good and created chances galore but the finishing was diabolical.

We don't know if they're on board though? Vertonghen doesn't speak for everyone and he might not be telling the truth anyway.

I think they are, and if they weren't there would have been something easier to see in the quotes to show it. But to me those quotes are so much on the 'we must all stick together' kind of line that I think that is what is going to happen.

I must say though, I am surprised that the players have been so much behind AVB and complimentary of
him in the past, even in the last few weeks, because they clearly are not comfortable with the style he wants yet. It must be frustrating for them on the pitch and yet they continue to try and carry it out. They must really like the guy or he must actually take a lot of pressure off of them and say they don't need to be bang on it just yet. I've always found that particular dynamic interesting though.

The 2-0 win over Villa springs to mind, element of fortune with our first goal but we completely locked them up, they created one half chance in the entire game, total domination.

Really? I thought we were fortunate in that game, especially when Benteke came on they were creating chances at will before Soldado finished them off on the break. We looked very shaky before that!

No they didn't...they looked very good and created chances galore but the finishing was diabolical.

Not until the end of the season from what i remember - lots of 'we won the possession/passing' quotes which they were roundly mocked for as they controlled games but never looked like doing anything with it

You know…for a few hours I had left up a snappy, quite rude and very brisk retort to the above.

But then I say back and thought…and you know what I thought? I thought, 'what's the ****ing point? NWND is never ever going to admit their contribution to this shi-te fest, and I'm feeding what looks to me to be pretty close to a good bit of trolling on his behalf. In fact,' i concluded with myself, 'I, too, will be nothing more than a troll should I allow it to sit there unedited.'

I thought about all those who leap about with great indignation whenever a mod dares to say anything which isn't vanilla, and I thought about all those who shout loudly whenever a mod gets too subjective.

So, NWND, you know what? I heartily apologize for questioning your persistent wisdom. You are right. You don't need telling of anything by anyone about anything. So peace brother…

p.s. glad to see you have a firm managerial target in mind. It might have taken a fair old while, plus a bit of reading, but good on ya!

I don't mind being pulled up on my points. I will enjoy looking like a complete prick if AVB turns us around. I really will, because i'm first and foremost a Spurs fan. Nothing would please me more than this to happen, especially as I actually like the bloke, unlike Redknapp, who I hated.

What I don't take kindly to is being told I was calling Rogers a clown etc when I wasn't and people making assumptions such as I wouldn't give a new manager time.

I'm all for giving a new manager time, if there are signs of something good happening, or signs of progress, of them having a positive impact on the team.

Take Emirates Marketing Project, for example, they've actually been pretty inconsistent this season, but the signs are there that Pelegrini, by making them a bit more open (and thus slightly more prone to the odd lapse while they're getting to grips with the system) is building a truely frightening team.

They've taken apart both us and United this season and spannered Norwich out of sight. Yes, they might have had a few slip-ups, but if I was a City fan i'd be content to give him time as I can see the potential in the good performances.

Where are our equivalent performances? And please, no 2-0 wins over c*** teams like Villa. I mean where do we get a team rock up at WHL and truely do them 4, 5-0 like we did sometimes under Redknapp? Not every game is easy, but if you're a serious top 4 contender, which we were under Redknapp, you should spanner a good few teams over the course of a season.

Would you realy expect Jan to slate AVB while he is still manager of the club ?

Same could be said of us, though. The only two new players we are actually bedding in regularly are Paulinho and Soldado.

Really? I thought we were fortunate in that game, especially when Benteke came on they were creating chances at will before Soldado finished them off on the break. We looked very shaky before that!

hyperbole really does your arguments no favor, they had a brief spell in the second half where they had one clear chance and a couple of half chances.

Your points would be better served if you could aknowledge some of the positive aspects rather than relentlessly repeat posting everything that is wrong.

Sometimes as well you have to look at the detail of the quotes. What's he gonna say to the press? Yes, we all hate AVB.

I think they are positive quotes from the point of view that they could be a lot worse, but what interested me was that he says "the manager tries to make the right choices, sometimes they work, sometimes they don't"

With this line, its a clue that perhaps Vertonghen thought AVB was to blame for the City defeat.

Vertonghen comes across as an intelligent bloke and I'm sure he isn't going to back-stab AVB, but to me he clearly thinks that he has been making mistakes at times.

hyperbole really does your arguments no favor, they had a brief spell in the second half where they had one clear chance and a couple of half chances.

You see, all I said was "i thought", whereas you're stating your own opinion as fact. I did think we were fortunate in that game. It was an even contents with neither side creating anything until Townsend scored a fluke. To be fair we did enter a dominate spell in the game, but then they brought on Benteke and I thought they got on top then, until we hit them on the break. So my point was it wasn't a start-to-finish dominate performance, like the poster made out. Infact, if you fish out the official match thread on here, the amount of moaning like "we are terrible" before we score and then get the 2nd tells you all you need to know about the quality of performance in the game.

Would you realy expect Jan to slate AVB while he is still manager of the club ?

I'd expect him to be a lot less forthcoming, a lot less positive that things could turn around and a lot less understanding of the manager. Basically he could choose not to give too much away - he doesn't need to say anything.

Sometimes as well you have to look at the detail of the quotes. What's he gonna say to the press? Yes, we all hate AVB.

I think they are positive quotes from the point of view that they could be a lot worse, but what interested me was that he says "the manager tries to make the right choices, sometimes they work, sometimes they don't"

With this line, its a clue that perhaps Vertonghen thought AVB was to blame for the City defeat.

Vertonghen comes across as an intelligent bloke and I'm sure he isn't going to back-stab AVB, but to me he clearly thinks that he has been making mistakes at times.

Interesting point

You see, all I said was "i thought", whereas you're stating your own opinion as fact. I did think we were fortunate in that game. It was an even contents with neither side creating anything until Townsend scored a fluke. To be fair we did enter a dominate spell in the game, but then they brought on Benteke and I thought they got on top then, until we hit them on the break. So my point was it wasn't a start-to-finish dominate performance, like the poster made out. Infact, if you fish out the official match thread on here, the amount of moaning like "we are terrible" before we score and then get the 2nd tells you all you need to know about the quality of performance in the game.

I was at the game and it was what i saw - even game up until we went ahead, from then on it was pretty much our game asides from a couple of instances where Villa knocked it long to Benteke.

If we start using OMTs as a reference we may as well give up now - the few times im unfortunate enough not to be at a game i feel like topping myself after spending 5minutes in them :D was the same when we were doing well a couple of years ago - you'd never have believed it if you read the OMTs

Agree with Billy - the amount of times you've completely denigrated our performances when they actually have been nowhere near as bad as you've said has made your arguments harder to take. I thought you made a really good post a page or so back that was hard to disagree with but according to you some of our performances mean our season isn't 'we played well that game'...it becomes 'the opposition had a good spell...which means we didn't play well' which is just nonsense. Most of the time every team will have a good spell in the match. Even we did against City. Doesn't mean City's victory was any less convincing. It's the Premier League.

Games this season we've played very well in: Palace - Siggy and Defoe missed as clear chances as they will get all season, and Chadli missed a pretty easy header but I won't count that as too clear. We could have easily won that game 3/4-0 because they never once made it look like we were in any danger - but you're analysis is 'we needed a lucky penalty'. We didn't, we had many more chances.

Swansea - I thought we were clearly the better team here. We looked more fluid than most other games at home to similar level teams last season. Not the best performance ever but in the first home game following pre-season it was certainly encouraging. The penalty we got was fairly lucky but we had a clear one turned down too, plus a few other good chances. Swansea never threatened us.

Arsenal - good possession but didn't create much. They are good this season. It can happen. Teams will play a lot worse.

Cardiff away - utter domination. Again we should have won that 4-0. We didn't 'need extra time', we simply battled until the end and fully deserved it.

Norwich - great performance. We didn't score more than 2 but it doesn't take away from the fact our movement and passing was excellent.

Chelsea - good first half, bad second half. Could have won it at the end with Defoe.

West Ham - pretty awful.

Villa - we were by far the better team. They had a spell because most home teams in this league will at some point. But I think beyond one Benteke header we could have racked up far more than 2 goals by the end of it.

Hull - bad performance. Not clicking.

Everton - good performance in terms of stopping them playing - which they have shown they are capable of doing - but needed to feed Soldado better. Still, teams will play a lot worse than we did on their ground.

Saudi Sportswashing Machine - bad first half but in terms of chance creation one of our best performances in the second half. Bad luck and good goalkeeping denied us the points.

Emirates Marketing Project - awful, awful, awful.

I think if you look at it like that, the season so far hasn't been as terrible as you say. But what you have been doing is painting games that are mostly positive in to overwhelming negatives. It makes it harder to have a rational discussion.

Interesting point

I think that quote is an acknowledgement that in football, it doesn't make the manager bad just because his choices don't work, because there are no absolutes and nothing is certain to work. It is an acknowledgement that he tried to affect the game. I don't think he is blaming the manager in any way at all there. Certainly not any more than the players. Everyone appears to be in it together. AVB has said that he, along with the players, should be ashamed.

I think that quote is an acknowledgement that in football, it doesn't make the manager bad just because his choices don't work, because there are no absolutes and nothing is certain to work. It is an acknowledgement that he tried to affect the game. I don't think he is blaming the manager in any way at all there. Certainly not any more than the players. Everyone appears to be in it together. AVB has said that he, along with the players, should be ashamed.

Agreed. Seems like the interpretation most likely to be accurate by far.

I think almost whatever Vertonghen or our other players say at this point those that want AVB out will find a way to interpret that in a way that's negative about AVB.

Back