• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Andre Villas-Boas - Head Coach

Re: AVB - Making Tottenham His Own

Bayern Munich and Dortmund both play a lone striker and are amongst the most entertaining teams around imo. Great players, but no Messi or Ronaldo.

Bayern have the best squad in world football, they don't need a Messi or Ronaldo.
Dortmund just attack freely with no pressure, abit like us in 2011-12.

Bayern have the best squad in world football, they don't need a Messi or Ronaldo.

I don't agree with that, Dortmund hunt you down with ferocious pressure and force you to turn over the ball in dangerous positions on the pitch.

I'm losing faith in AVB, without Bale we'd have been mid table last season, and we're not gonna be anywhere near the top 4 season. We'll do well to make the top 6. He's not making the best of the tools at his disposal. I'd struggle to name more than handful of decent home performances under him.

The point being made by indian was that one striker was boring. I mentioned a couple of teams that play one striker that isn't boring (in addition to Real and Barca). I'm sure you can mention teams that play a lone striker that are boring and I can name teams that play 4-4-2 that are boring. I'm sure you can mention teams that play 4-4-2 that are entertaining and I can name teams that play a lone striker that are entertaining.

My point is more that I don't think a change to 4-4-2 is the solution to our problems and I think it's a bit naive to think so. There are some things going seriously wrong in our buildup play and I think we need more creative players on the pitch. More Lamela, more Eriksen, fewer ball carriers and hopefully more tempo resulting from that. I don't see an additional striker as the only solution, and as long as Ade is not an option in our first team squad (for whatever reason) I don't think we have the players to make it a solution at all. Like the last 20 minutes today illustrated.

The point being made by indian was that one striker was boring. I mentioned a couple of teams that play one striker that isn't boring (in addition to Real and Barca). I'm sure you can mention teams that play a lone striker that are boring and I can name teams that play 4-4-2 that are boring. I'm sure you can mention teams that play 4-4-2 that are entertaining and I can name teams that play a lone striker that are entertaining.

My point is more that I don't think a change to 4-4-2 is the solution to our problems and I think it's a bit naive to think so. There are some things going seriously wrong in our buildup play and I think we need more creative players on the pitch. More Lamela, more Eriksen, fewer ball carriers and hopefully more tempo resulting from that. I don't see an additional striker as the only solution, and as long as Ade is not an option in our first team squad (for whatever reason) I don't think we have the players to make it a solution at all. Like the last 20 minutes today illustrated.

what if we signed Suarez or Rooney to play alongside Soldado? do you think we could make it work and we might see more of a threat in forward areas?

Liverpool played 4-1-3-2 yesterday and looked pretty cohesive and dangerous in attack...oh and they scored 4 goals

I know some people say we can't play with two strikers, but the #120 is still expected to contribute to goals. I'd rather play with a forward as the #10 sitting a little deeper than Soldado, and lose some midfield capacity (not that we would), than a midfielder in#10 an lose some goal scoring opportunities.

Strikers know how strikers think, the know the runs that they make, where and how they want the ball.

We can't get away with a one up top like Soldado, without another striker -as is plain to see from our goal scoring record. If our one up top was Aguerro, or Suarez, or Giroud maybe but it isn't.

what if we signed Suarez or Rooney to play alongside Soldado? do you think we could make it work and we might see more of a threat in forward areas?

Oh for sure. Suarez is world class, Rooney is close and both are proven in the league. Just like adding someone like Modric next to Sandro/Capoue would make us a much bigger threat in a 4-2-3-1.

I prefer 4-3-3/4-2-3-1 in general, but unlike GB I don't think 4-4-2 is outdated. Particularly if we're talking about it as an option amongst several.

A real physical presence up front might also do us a lot of good and could work really well next to Soldado. For now though that option isn't available to us and I think we have the players in our squad to make a 4-3-3 or 4-2-3-1 work given a bit more time. Like it worked in the second half today.

the thing that should worry people is that Saudi Sportswashing Machine like any good disciplined team were tough to break down BUT they didnt park the bus and camp out in their box. Saudi Sportswashing Machine actually came to play

we should be doing better against these guys

Liverpool played 4-1-3-2 yesterday and looked pretty cohesive and dangerous in attack...oh and they scored 4 goals

I always wanted us to go for Rogers and reckon we missed out not going for him. Then again they started poorly last year but he was given time due to the position Liverpool found themselves in after Kennys time in charge. AVB hasnt had that luxury as he has been expected to deliver right from the start and that IMO is part of the problem. A season with no expectations could have been what he needed.

Liverpool setup with a solid base which gives the rest of the players freedom to move around, interchange positions and attack with confidence. AVB has us setup so rigidly that we lack the movement to truly trouble opposition defences. The 3 in that formation consists of 3 fairly energetic (Gerrard was for 60 mins) forward thinking players. There is no reason we shouldn't aim for something similar. I have been banging the drum for a while now on behalf of a midfield with Sig and Eriksen and still stand by my opinion. Today there were passes on for Soldado but Paulinho didnt see/attempt them something I think Sig would do. Those two behind Lamela, Soldado and one other and we could open teams up.

We looked good today with a 433 and if we can play with that intensity from the start in every game I think we could score more often, but AVB has the team playing within itself. The system is the problem. The players lack the confidence and look clueless at times. I echo others here. A different coach with these players would likely have us sitting higher up the table.

I always wanted us to go for Rogers and reckon we missed out not going for him. Then again they started poorly last year but he was given time due to the position Liverpool found themselves in after Kennys time in charge. AVB hasnt had that luxury as he has been expected to deliver right from the start and that IMO is part of the problem. A season with no expectations could have been what he needed.

Liverpool setup with a solid base which gives the rest of the players freedom to move around, interchange positions and attack with confidence. AVB has us setup so rigidly that we lack the movement to truly trouble opposition defences. The 3 in that formation consists of 3 fairly energetic (Gerrard was for 60 mins) forward thinking players. There is no reason we shouldn't aim for something similar. I have been banging the drum for a while now on behalf of a midfield with Sig and Eriksen and still stand by my opinion. Today there were passes on for Soldado but Paulinho didnt see/attempt them something I think Sig would do. Those two behind Lamela, Soldado and one other and we could open teams up.

We looked good today with a 433 and if we can play with that intensity from the start in every game I think we could score more often, but AVB has the team playing within itself. The system is the problem. The players lack the confidence and look clueless at times. I echo others here. A different coach with these players would likely have us sitting higher up the table.

Dare I say it but Harry would have done a better job with the current crop of players I think (IMV). Anyways dont want to open up that can of worms.

Liverpool looked good yesterday against very very poor opposition. They didn't look great last week as they don't actually create much and do struggle defensively. They rely on individual brilliance from freddi mercury which is why when they have had their one test (and I don't count a very poor united team in a derby as one) they were found wanting.

Our problem is exactly what plenty have highlighted, the number 10 in this system has to play as a support forward, not as a midfielder. The only players we have who look like they can do that are Ade and Lamella so far IMO and neither is getting chances in the league

Eriksen today was very hot and cold and for me needs to play on the left whilst adapting. Siggy is just poor, he may get the odd goal but he all round play is very average at best. Holtby is not a 10 and even said a while back he saw himself as a holding box to box type (Paulinho cover) so were left with Chadli who has done very little and the option of two dwarves up front

Personally I'd prefer to give Ade a chance

In some ways maybe Redknapps (just run around a bit) tactics were better. The players were left with the freedom to play. They were only found out against teams who were well organised defensively. I think we all hoped AVB would remedy that but instead we have been left with a team who can't attack well at all.

Liverpool looked good yesterday against very very poor opposition. They didn't look great last week as they don't actually create much and do struggle defensively. They rely on individual brilliance from freddi mercury which is why when they have had their one test (and I don't count a very poor united team in a derby as one) they were found wanting.

Our problem is exactly what plenty have highlighted, the number 10 in this system has to play as a support forward, not as a midfielder. The only players we have who look like they can do that are Ade and Lamella so far IMO and neither is getting chances in the league

Eriksen today was very hot and cold and for me needs to play on the left whilst adapting. Siggy is just poor, he may get the odd goal but he all round play is very average at best. Holtby is not a 10 and even said a while back he saw himself as a holding box to box type (Paulinho cover) so were left with Chadli who has done very little and the option of two dwarves up front

Personally I'd prefer to give Ade a chance

Liverpool create a lot and actually put these poor teams to the sword when they play them.

And we only had 2 strikers in the 18 today. Absolutely ridiculous.

United won the EPL last season with 4-4-2. Some say they did not have 11 excellent players. City won the year before with 4-4-2.
For 4-5-1 to work you need excellent players in every position. We only have very good or promising players.

Last edited:

Its not so much about the formation but what the players do. UTD won with a 442 but Rooney spent a lot of time in a no. 10 role with two very adept passers behind him and a highly mobile RVP ahead. When we setup into a 442 we played with two finishers who offered little more than that and two midfielders whose passing ability isn't the strongest

Its not so much about the formation but what the players do. UTD won with a 442 but Rooney spent a lot of time in a no. 10 role with two very adept passers behind him and a highly mobile RVP ahead. When we setup into a 442 we played with two finishers who offered little more than that and two midfielders whose passing ability isn't the strongest

I agree, it's type of players and combinations/partnerships, rather than a strict definition of a formation. Most formations work if the balance of players is right.

Back