• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Andre Villas-Boas - Head Coach

Re: AVB - Making Tottenham His Own

BAE = Has performed way below his usual high levels. Ball watches more, gets caught out of position more, has zero attacking threat (wasn't ever great at that but he was far more of a threat in previous seasons).

Walker = Dear dear GHod. His defending has been horrendous and he's been directly involved in quite a lot of our goals conceded with stupid individual mistakes. Last season he won the young player of the year award but this season he's been nowhere near that level.

Adebayor = Dear GHod.

Parker = AVB thinks he's a box to box midfielder and that's not worked one bit. Lats season he was player of the year and this season he's been...umm....not so good.

What do people think about Lennon though? i was actually going to put him in the regressed list tbh.

Walker was also voted our best ever right back, I wouldn't read much into it. A lot of us overrated Walker mainly because he was young and was actually doing quite well. His pace got him out of trouble and actually caused trouble for opposition as it has a lot of times this season.

Regarding Lennon, the first few months of the season were easily his best in a Spurs shirt since the start of the 09-10 season when we finished top four for the first time. Then he got injured and then same old same old, takes weeks to get going, a good game here and there but not involved as much.

Very difficult to draw causal conclusions about how much the manager has influenced these things. Both for improvements and regressions.

Walker was inconsistent under Redknapp too, but he wasn't punished as often for it.
Parker was excellent under Redknapp in the first half of the season, in the second half he was much more average. He had a long injury layoff, impossible to say how he would have done under another manager.

BAE has also had some injury problems and he's never been the most consistent player.

Bale has improved I think, but it's impossible to say if he would have continued improving under Redknapp too or if this is something caused by AVB.

For some things, where a manager changes the style or emphasis of a team or a player and an improvement or regression follows I think it's plausible to say that the manager caused it. But just comparing one season to another and looking at who performed better isn't enough of a basis.

I think looking at the team as a whole is a better indication on how a manager influences things than certain players like you said. I think as a team we look better under AVB than Redknapp. We press much better as a team, the only thing regressing in that sense is our movement. I don't put that down to AVB though, his Porto and Chelsea teams were as fluid as they come, I just think with a lack of a creative spark in our team like Redknapp had with Modric and van der Vaart we've lacked.

It's why I can't wait until next season, I just know we'll get one in and I think we'll look so much better on the eye. At times we've been very boring this year, but that isn't a BAD thing if it gets the job done. Sure, we like to see nice free flowing attacking football but you have to be a bit boring at times to pick up points. Mourinhos Chelsea were the masters of this, you have to grind out 1-0 wins at times and we have done that at the end of the season when needed (1-0 Sunderland, 1-0 Southampton), it's a sign of a top club when they can do that in my view and we've grown throughout the season as results show.

I think looking at the team as a whole is a better indication on how a manager influences things than certain players like you said. I think as a team we look better under AVB than Redknapp. We press much better as a team, the only thing regressing in that sense is our movement. I don't put that down to AVB though, his Porto and Chelsea teams were as fluid as they come, I just think with a lack of a creative spark in our team like Redknapp had with Modric and van der Vaart we've lacked.

It's why I can't wait until next season, I just know we'll get one in and I think we'll look so much better on the eye. At times we've been very boring this year, but that isn't a BAD thing if it gets the job done. Sure, we like to see nice free flowing attacking football but you have to be a bit boring at times to pick up points. Mourinhos Chelsea were the masters of this, you have to grind out 1-0 wins at times and we have done that at the end of the season when needed (1-0 Sunderland, 1-0 Southampton), it's a sign of a top club when they can do that in my view and we've grown throughout the season as results show.

what?? his chelsea team was turgid to watch. The last thing anyone would say is that they were fluid and no way would i put that side under him in the same sentence with his Porto team.

what?? his chelsea team was turgid to watch. The last thing anyone would say is that they were fluid and no way would i put that side under him in the same sentence with his Porto team.

they weren't as bad as made out, results blind some peoples views on his team. His high line was dangerous though. They were playing some great stuff in my opinion, they were (like they are today) a Modric/Moutinho away from a really great team (hence why AVB went for both), but they got by after signing Juan Mata. 20 goals in his opening 8 or so games in charge too. I liked his use of Romeu, it's why I think he liked playing Huddlestone at the end of the season. Romeu used to just sit in front of the defence, mop up and play a good pass as well as simple ones. I get the feeling that is why he never played Parker defensive midfield like Harry did.

Bale has certainly improved under AVB imo. On the other hand:

BAE
Walker
Adebayor
Parker

have all regressed.

Lennon
Defoe
Dawson

have performed at the same level.

imv Parker and Walkers form started to trail off in the final 3rd of last season - Walker especially. Parker and Ekotto both had half season injury lay offs as well and we should all know that players sometime struggle when coming back from extended time on the sidelines.

think Walker has looked a bit more like the player we saw at the beginning of last season in the past couple of months or so though so that's encouraging - i don't expect to see Parker and Ekotto here next season so we won't get a chance to see if he can get them back to their best form.

imv Parker and Walkers form started to trail off in the final 3rd of last season - Walker especially. Parker and Ekotto both had half season injury lay offs as well and we should all know that players sometime struggle when coming back from extended time on the sidelines.

think Walker has looked a bit more like the player we saw at the beginning of last season in the past couple of months or so though so that's encouraging - i don't expect to see Parker and Ekotto here next season so we won't get a chance to see if he can get them back to their best form.

Do you think Parker is a box to box midfielder? and what players in our squad besides Bale do you feel has performed better under AVB?

BLH5RByCIAI4MyL.jpg

#playerrevolt

Do you think Parker is a box to box midfielder? and what players in our squad besides Bale do you feel has performed better under AVB?

no i don't and i wish he'd be deployed like he was in the first half or two thirds of last season as a pure defensive midfielder.

i think as a team we have been more consistent this season although not as good as when we were on form last year. individually? regular players this season that were playing regular last season - you've pretty much mentioned them all

Lennon Defoe and Dawson all much of a muchness - Parker, after his injury lay off has continued the drop in form which we saw towards the end of last season. Ekotto has been worse for sure. Walker has improved the last couple of months, better than we have seen since about February time last season and Adebayor hasn't been anywhere near as good as he was last year.

no i don't and i wish he'd be deployed like he was in the first half or two thirds of last season as a pure defensive midfielder.

i think as a team we have been more consistent this season although not as good as when we were on form last year. individually? regular players this season that were playing regular last season - you've pretty much mentioned them all

So besides Bale you feel no other player in our squad has improved under AVB?

Last edited:

So besides Bale you feel no other player in our squad has improved in our squad under AVB?

of the players listed Bale is the only one to have shown significant improvement, yes - but then i think he's the only player listed that actually had any room for improvment - most are players who are in their 'peak' years so to speak. i think Dawson has looked better, but it's more in terms of consistency and concentration than actual ability.

Sandro has performed better.

I agree with this although that's probably more to do with the fact that he's actually starting now.

BTW cheers for simply answering the question directly Billy and not trying to twist things into something they're not, much appreciated.

I agree with this although that's probably more to do with the fact that he's actually starting now.

BTW cheers for simply answering the question directly Billy and not trying to twist things into something they're not, much appreciated.

He was playing quite consistently at the back end of last season, but Harry for some reason preferred him in a 3 ALONGSIDE Parker and it really didn't work. That was when Parkers performances started deteriorating, although it could also be because he was playing through injury. Sandro was outshining him and he was putting in some superb performances. He's just looked so much better this year, like you say could be because he's starting and he's getting more confidence etc.

He was playing quite consistently at the back end of last season, but Harry for some reason preferred him in a 3 ALONGSIDE Parker and it really didn't work. That was when Parkers performances started deteriorating, although it could also be because he was playing through injury. Sandro was outshining him and he was putting in some superb performances. He's just looked so much better this year, like you say could be because he's starting and he's getting more confidence etc.

alongside Parker and who?

alongside Parker and who?

Modric.. but it was 2 DM's and Modric and it wasn't working. Thing is, you couldn't really drop Parker due to the form he showed in the first half of the season and Sandro was too good not to actually start so he just stuck both in there which was wrong. He should have studied the opposition and play who he thought could perform better in those games.

Back