• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Andre Villas-Boas - Head Coach

Re: AVB -> Napoli!

thumbs_gorilla-brawl.jpg

AVB isn't going anywhere to me. I think finishing just outside the top 4 will push him on to do better next season. There's nothing more important than hunger in a spurs manager and he has tons.

Had a quick listen last night during my drive home...we werent mentioned once, whats going on???

I didn't hear the one that specifically related to AVB and Napoli so no idea what he said. I was just making an observation on his general approach to all things AVB. For example:

1. When we were struggling early in the season, constantly reminding us what a useless waste of space AVB was and never wasting a chance to express his incredulity that we could have hired him to replace Redknapp. He even went as far as introducing a new segment on his show called "AVB hasn't got a clue" which was supposed to become a regular feature a la "the Daily Arsenal" to spotlight AVB's daily failings;

2. Berating him for celebrating "too aggressively" after the win at Old Trafford;

3. Going strangely quiet on the "AVB hasn't got a clue front" during our long unbeaten run, before laughably breaking his silence with the claim that he had been laying off of him lately as he had 'wanted to give him a chance';

4. Claiming that QPR would finish above Spurs when Redknapp took over at Loftus Road (something else he went noticeably quiet on after about 3 games into Redknapp's reign, and thereafter never mentioned again) ;

5. Never missing an opportunity to tell everyone that Gareth Bale was overrated before changing tack completely and constantly criticising Spurs for being a one man team (not directly related to AVB but he would often suggest that AVB was lucky to have a match winner in Bale as he was otherwise so tactically inept).

Last edited:

i wonder if he's purposefully winding up a huge % of talksports audience in order to get them to phone in and put him right. . .

everyone complains, but it doesn't stop you from tuning in does it - Durham 1 - moaners - 0

:p

i wonder if he's purposefully winding up a huge % of talksports audience in order to get them to phone in and put him right. . .

everyone complains, but it doesn't stop you from tuning in does it - Durham 1 - moaners - 0

Don't be silly,I don't listen myself, I just er, heard all of this from a friend :)

Apparently they're losing listeners and therefore income from advertisers.

I'm glad if Benitez has taken the
Job.

It shows how much AVB (in one year) has instilled in me the belief that he can do great things with our club. I would have been very sad if he had left. I want to see him with a full summer to prepare and kick on next year!

i'm not really sure what we would be missing if he left. save for organisation on the pitch

we stil have bale, for the time being at least. we could always get a good manager and do well if we have the players....which we tend to have almost every season now.

not saying he is bad, am just saying i wouldnt really be worried that we couldnt replace him. actually his organisation and his guidance in on field discipline...(when it works) are pretty good i must say....but again...quite a few talented coaches out there

I think we will miss stability if AVB leaves. The new manager will bring his own idea and tactics and all the players have to spend time get used to that. Remember, AVB struggled initially after Modric, King and VDV left. I think Bale will be affected the most as he seemed to have improved greatly under AVB.

I think we will miss stability if AVB leaves. The new manager will bring his own idea and tactics and all the players have to spend time get used to that. Remember, AVB struggled initially after Modric, King and VDV left. I think Bale will be affected the most as he seemed to have improved greatly under AVB.

that implies that we had stability more last year than the previous years? in which case there is no upside to AVB as he already had stability in his bag last season

but if we DIDNT have stability last year then we wouldn't miss it going forward. what you're probably talking about is stability going forward. i definitely agree with that...but at the same time...if he wants to leave then we wouldn't miss stability with him cause we didnt have it in the first place. all we would need to do is fill his spot with another talented manager

and i also dont think bale improved greatly, i think he is the same guy, but with AVB i think bale was utilised more into the position where he had more opportunities to score, hence he scored more and got more confidence and belief, something given to him i must say by AVB as he clearly trusts bale to roam, and then bale just kept on shooting.

bale has improved as far as being finally put into a position where he causes the most danger on the stat sheet...simply by getting moved. same thing happened with him under harry when he got moved from full back to wing position. over the course of his career in tottenham though he has improved. i think bale likes avb cause AVB puts him in a position that he always wanted to play in and has done wonders for his career.

actually i just realised i didnt understand what kind of improvement you might have been talking about, if by improvement you mean goals and assist tallies etc then yes he has definitely improved

also i think AVB struggling was more down to him not having all the players he needed at the time. once he did..results picked up quick

a good coach is a good coach , AVB is a good coach but there are other good coach and better coach also out there

that implies that we had stability more last year than the previous years? in which case there is no upside to AVB as he already had stability in his bag last season

but if we DIDNT have stability last year then we wouldn't miss it going forward. what you're probably talking about is stability going forward. i definitely agree with that...but at the same time...if he wants to leave then we wouldn't miss stability with him cause we didnt have it in the first place. all we would need to do is fill his spot with another talented manager

and i also dont think bale improved greatly, i think he is the same guy, but with AVB i think bale was utilised more into the position where he had more opportunities to score, hence he scored more and got more confidence and belief, something given to him i must say by AVB as he clearly trusts bale to roam, and then bale just kept on shooting.

bale has improved as far as being finally put into a position where he causes the most danger on the stat sheet...simply by getting moved. same thing happened with him under harry when he got moved from full back to wing position. over the course of his career in tottenham though he has improved. i think bale likes avb cause AVB puts him in a position that he always wanted to play in and has done wonders for his career.

actually i just realised i didnt understand what kind of improvement you might have been talking about, if by improvement you mean goals and assist tallies etc then yes he has definitely improved

also i think AVB struggling was more down to him not having all the players he needed at the time. once he did..results picked up quick

a good coach is a good coach , AVB is a good coach but there are other good coach and better coach also out there

He played in the middle a bit last season too, I think there's some coaching been happening regarding finding and using space. I also think the rest of the team is doing better at getting him that space.

The one thing we're not doing properly yet is utilising the other space when he's triple marked.

Re: AVB - Making Tottenham His Own

Apparently they're losing listeners and therefore income from advertisers.

I'm not surprised by this. Talksport used to be a brilliant listen. Adrian Durham was also completely different to how he is now.

I remember they used to have really intelligent football shows that were really different and interesting such as a regular Monday night European football show with Durham, Gabrielle Marcotti & Guilleme Balague. They actually had an intelligent football debate and it was mostly about them talking to each other about football and the guest journalists rather than callers phoning in.

Their other shows were along similar lines and they had decent pundits on who knew their stuff.

There was a shift in ideology and programming a few years ago. Out went the journalists and intelligent pundits and in came the "MOTD" style clueless cliche-ridden ex-pros like Quinn, Gough and the like. Durham was clearly told to act the prick and pick topics that generate angry calls.

It became more about shock-jock tactics to encourage callers to ring in for a shouting match. To compliment Durham and his new training they started a policy of recruiting anyone controversial? George Galloway - thinks Sadam Hussein is a nice person? Come on in! Keys & Grey? Openly racist and sexist? Great - we've got a job for you! They filled their station full of pricks and dumbed down their content significantly doing the typical out of touch executive mistake of assuming the majority of working class Britain are thick ignorant proles that can't think for themselves. It's starting to back-fire for them as I haven't listened to talksport regularly for over a year when I used to love it and it seems like I'm not alone in turning my back on them!

He played in the middle a bit last season too, I think there's some coaching been happening regarding finding and using space. I also think the rest of the team is doing better at getting him that space.

The one thing we're not doing properly yet is utilising the other space when he's triple marked.

i think it was much more that he drifted into the middle from the wing last season. remember it was him on one side, lennon on the other and VDV in the middle. if no VDV then we played two up top

he most definitely drifted into the middle last season i agree but one thing i will conceed is that his mindset of being in the middle primarily to score or be a focal point for scoring opportunities doesnt seem to be as much then as it is now. Nowadays that kid is looking to bust the net wide open at all times. which is great, thats good coaching .

i also do agree that the rest of the team is doing a good job spacing out the pitch to alow bale room, it wasnt like that for him last season as VDV , a dropping deep ade and at times modric all cluster fudged that central area bring their markers with them.

i still think that this is the case because bale now OWNS that position behind the front man as opposed to last season when it was owned by VDV

and once again i agree that we dont make good work with the triple teaming on bale. i blame the fact that we dont have any playmakers capable of doing it in a 2 man midfield

Bale has certainly improved under AVB imo. On the other hand:

BAE
Walker
Adebayor
Parker

have all regressed.

Lennon
Defoe
Dawson

have performed at the same level.

Adebayor is Adebayor. If there was no contract to be played for he was always going to play like he has this season. Arsenal and City fans warned us, we laughed at them last year, they're laughing at us this year.

Ekotto was out injured, came back and his partner down the left which was such a good partnership is gone and moved around to the middle or on the right, he had the whole left side to himself at times, he doesn't play like he's interested at times.

Walker always relied on pace. He was good last season, but he was still out of position a lot. He just seems to have gotten more stupid this year. I don't really remember him doing pathetic back passes EVERY game under Harry so it might be an AVB thing that we pass back when there's nothing on. He definitely improved at the end of the season though.

Parker just misses a ball playing creative midfielder next to him in Modric. He's also playing too far forward so yeah he has definitely regressed. Could also be down to him getting on a bit but he's definitely not the Parker we saw for 4 months last season.

AVB's definitely played a big role in turning Bale into a superstar, but Redknapp might have done exactly the same thing. He got no credit last season for playing Bale in the middle - instead he was just told "Gareth Bale, he plays on the left."

The first signs of Bale becoming one of the world's best players were in that 2-0 away to Norwich.

AVB's definitely played a big role in turning Bale into a superstar, but Redknapp might have done exactly the same thing. He got no credit last season for playing Bale in the middle - instead he was just told "Gareth Bale, he plays on the left."

The first signs of Bale becoming one of the world's best players were in that 2-0 away to Norwich.

He got no credit because Bale wasn't winning games for us like he is this year. People are just looking at the stats. Under Redknapp, Bale scored 26 goals in 3 seasons.. under AVB he has scored 26 goals in 1 season. I don't know if a manager can be put down to improving a player when it's down to the player himself. Bale IS better on the wing. Most of his goals have come from cutting in from the right where in my opinion he probably should be playing. Start him in the centre if you wish, it might mean teams don't try doubling up on him on the wing, then move him out there during the game. We have players in Dempsey, Sigurdsson etc who can play in the centre if Bale chooses to switch.

Back