• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

American politics

So I see congress/Pence has declared Biden the winner (again).

Vice President Pence declared Democrat Joe Biden the winner of the presidential election after Congress counted the electoral votes after a violent day at the Capitol. Pence also announced that Sen. Kamala D. Harris (D-Calif.) was the winner of the vice presidency.

Early Thursday morning, the Senate and House had voted to reject Trump loyalists’ challenges to Biden’s win in Pennsylvania. Congress resumed the count after a pro-Trump mob had attacked the Capitol.

Then encouraging this will not help his cause. Those motivated by these kinds of events might all throw him a few $ but that's not where the money is in politics.

The big money in politics will be scared off by something like this -again, it's all about winning. In order to make real money from donors, Trump needs to show some chance of winning. Most big donors don't care about his politics, they care that he's going to be president and owe them a favour. This theory all falls down when there's no way he can be president.
Are you assuming that he always acts rationally?

The US situation is going to get worse before it gets better.

Sad times. As usual it will be innocent people that get caught in the crossfire.
In terms of medium to long term consequences, or short term violence and general chaos or both?

Hopefully the spectacular failure this was will have a chilling effect on short term violence. If this was the worst day it wouldn't be worse than expected imo.

So someone got shot by the police last night. Must have been racism.

What we need is more protests and violence until the police stop shooting.

Did I get it right?
Wow. Domestic terrorism directly attacks democracy and the peaceful transition of power, spurred on by the president and his cronies.

Bit yeah, protests and sporadic violence in response to police brutality is a problem.

So many thoughts after last night (i take an interest in politics/geo-politics anyway):

1. nice to not have to read about coronavirus for a change
  2. the police and other security bodies will put on a show when black people are protesting, and arrested 14,000 people during george floyd protests, but last night, only 52 people were arrested for literally breaking and destroying the nations capitol building
  3. as i said on another page, this isn't down to trump solely but all those that enabled him, Cruz, Fox News etc
  4. This isn't over. After the return to the vote, over 140 republicans voted to block the Pennsylvania votes for Biden. If you thought "well finally they might learn their lesson" - they haven't
  5. yes it was good to see some republicans call out the horse brick, but bolting the door well after the horse has disappeared benefits no one
  6. the people who stormed the capitol today are the same people who found Kaepernick kneeling disrespectful (stolen from Twitter)
  7. they won't invoke the 25th
  8. Serial winner Trump has lost the House, the Senate and the Presidency. Unfortunately, it's his party now and the Republicans will not bring it back in the next four years. Expect more of the same and him or one of his lackeys up in 2024.

What I do find odd is I told the wife this would happen a couple of weeks ago, as soon as I saw at Trump tweet on wait until the 6th...

why was this kinda unexpected?

the missus literally said to me this morning this is exactly as you predicted over here in sunny (icy) Bedford... are you some kind of genius (which clearly I’m not)

We know America is a huge country with many great and sensible people. Hell every country has their element of nutters too, it’s just rare for them to be elected to lead those countries.

But the lack of control and foresight here is just bizarre IMO. There was and is no way he was going out without a bang, to leave his mark and stroke his ego. It’s his whole MO and literally how people even know who he is

just very odd and quite disheartening in the modern age

What I do find odd is I told the wife this would happen a couple of weeks ago, as soon as I saw at Trump tweet on wait until the 6th...

why was this kinda unexpected?

the missus non-figuratively said to me this morning this is exactly as you predicted over here in sunny (icy) Bedford... are you some kind of genius (which clearly I’m not)

We know America is a huge country with many great and sensible people. Hell every country has their element of nutters too, it’s just rare for them to be elected to lead those countries.

But the lack of control and foresight here is just bizarre IMO. There was and is no way he was going out without a bang, to leave his mark and stroke his ego. It’s his whole MO and non-figuratively how people even know who he is

just very odd and quite disheartening in the modern age
I'm feeling like exaggerating a bit for effect here, but had this been BLM or Antifa the police would have prepared for a massacre.

I'm feeling like exaggerating a bit for effect here, but had this been BLM or Antifa the police would have prepared for a massacre.
10000%
I said it yesterday, Im kinda surprised they didnt just kill a random black person
TBF i did see eventual swastika beating flags
I mean hey let’s all hug a nazi :mad::mad:

I don't think this will end up in end full scale uprising - mainly because the US is too spread out and the majority of Trump supporters are more mouth than action and won't want to risk their secure lives.

That said, the events of yesterday are a very normal early act in uprisings that lead to months of civil unrest - I think we'll see pockets of that.
There is a really interesting documentary about the Ukrainian uprising of 2013/14 - Winter on Fire. It's on Netflix if anyone has any free time :D:D

In terms of medium to long term consequences, or short term violence and general chaos or both?

Hopefully the spectacular failure this was will have a chilling effect on short term violence. If this was the worst day it wouldn't be worse than expected imo.

Violence. Can't see this ending well at all. Hopefully I am wrong. I usually am.

Back