• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

*** Tottenham Hotspur v Aston Villa ***

We can do and back & forth on the relevant abilities & potential of those players without really going anywhere - but i don't doubt that young players in the right environment and with the right coach can develop with game time and support, i don't think when Arsenal were finishing 8th consecutively under Arteta that many of their young players would have been considered on the level they are now.

Anyway i just trying to highlight that the signings are generally on the young side under Paratici and that there would be players for Poch to work with in that regard, i wouldn't expect him to want rid of Kane or Son unless the latter is truly broken beyond repair so his starting team would still jave the benefot of those two as well as Perisic
Of course, I wouldn't expect us to solve anything at all by presenting opinions on a forum. And if the fans would be happy with having Poch on board in our current situation (dipping in and out of top 4, where I fear mostly out plus doing poorly in the cups), then by all means bring him in. But I don't think much have changed from when he was sacked, apart from that his mostly young, hungry and very talented core squad is all but gone or old and not so hungry but still quite talented, and that the young players we have now may or may not be as hungry or talented as his last young, hungry and very talented core squad. Getting sacked twice is not how I want his legacy to be, because for me he actually has one even without winning anything.

Last edited:
Of course, I wouldn't expect us to solve anything at all by presenting opinions on a forum. And if the fans would be happy with having Poch on board in our current situation (dipping in and out of top 4, where I fear mostly out), then by all means bring him in. But I don't think much have changed from when he was sacked, apart from that his mostly young, hungry and very talented core squad is all but gone or old, not so hungry but still quite talented, and that the young players we have now may or may not be as hungry or talented as his last young, hungry and very talented core squad. Getting sacked twice is not how I want his legacy to be, because for me he actually has one even without winning anything.

I agree with the sentiment regarding tarnishing his legacy here but my major concern is more with how we get back to the level we were at - if we have ti risk tarnishing Pochettinos legacy to get there than so be it.

I'd have moved for Potter instead of Conte at the time we went for the latter tbh so I'm not entirely wedded to Poch, I'm just not aware of managers in the game to make a call on someone that can do what he did.

I disagree that not much has changed, budgets are far higher than when he was here last and Paratichi is a big improvement on Hitchen - that's the two biggest hurdles to his success removed afaic. On the playing side i think there's some shoots of positivity in the squad that is starting to take shape, though obviously we disagree on that.

We may not have won anything, but we were in the mix. Given our resources, that is all you could ask for at the time.
Would I swap playing like we did under Poch without winning anything, with playing like we do now with a chance of winning something?

In a heartbeat.

It’s too easy to over-complicate it, I think. The fact that we’ve had Pochettino, Mourinho and now Conte and yet not managed to win a trophy tells me that there’s more to it than managerial failures.

I agree with the sentiment regarding tarnishing his legacy here but my major concern is more with how we get back to the level we were at - if we have ti risk tarnishing Pochettinos legacy to get there than so be it.

I'd have moved for Potter instead of Conte at the time we went for the latter tbh so I'm not entirely wedded to Poch, I'm just not aware of managers in the game to make a call on someone that can do what he did.

I disagree that not much has changed, budgets are far higher than when he was here last and Paratichi is a big improvement on Hitchen - that's the two biggest hurdles to his success removed afaic. On the playing side i think there's some shoots of positivity in the squad that is starting to take shape, though obviously we disagree on that.
Poch would also have the opportunity to finally recreate the Walker/Rose flying full backs with Destiny Udogie and Djed Spence who I guarantee he would love working with. Add to that his compatriot Romero, Skipp, Bentancur, Kulu, Richarlison there is plenty of youth and exuberance plus the likes of Kane for experience. At the very least Poch would make us enterprising and watchable again…..

Got us 3rd, 2nd, 3rd, 4th and to a CL final. And might have won us a title were it not for Chelsea not having any european football the year we got 2nd and maybe even a CL title, were it not us going down a goal in the first minute from a fluke penalty. And all that on a shoestring with the players he had available. We may not have won anything, but we were in the mix. Given our resources, that is all you could ask for at the time.
I loved going to watch us under him
It was a team that resembled all the things I wanted to see

Poch would also have the opportunity to finally recreate the Walker/Rose flying full backs with Destiny Udogie and Djed Spence who I guarantee he would love working with. Add to that his compatriot Romero, Skipp, Bentancur, Kulu, Richarlison there is plenty of youth and exuberance plus the likes of Kane for experience. At the very least Poch would make us enterprising and watchable again…..
Poch would need a few more attacking options. One creative player at least
And he would have to deal with the loss of Kane and probably son

It’s too easy to over-complicate it, I think. The fact that we’ve had Pochettino, Mourinho and now Conte and yet not managed to win a trophy tells me that there’s more to it than managerial failures.

Trophy talk is a nonsense tbh - Mourinho had one full season and Conte hasn't even had that yet and they both walked in to a situation where we weren't a club in any ppsition to be winning trophies. Poch got us close and at our peak we had a team that could go toe to toe with the best but due to financial restrictions did not have the depth our rivals have/had.

We need to crawl before we can walk atm and first step is to build a good team, with potential and strength in depth.

I'm with you there i think on paper the squad is shaping up nicely as a group of players that would suit him - it would be back to the early days though where we are trying to break the top 4 and that will be tougher this time around given the strength of the sides around us.

So it wouldn't be a magic bullet in any sense but i believe we'd soon have a team we could all get behind again.

I'm with you there i think on paper the squad is shaping up nicely as a group of players that would suit him - it would be back to the early days though where we are trying to break the top 4 and that will be tougher this time around given the strength of the sides around us.
And we would need to find the striker to play that system
Poch inherited Kane who became exceptional
He would know he inheriting a team trying to replace him

No chance for me
What too clumsy
He is a 9 but not on Kanes level
Would need to have so many other scorers
Vlahovic could
Osihmen could
May well be others too

Not on Kanes level but he's a hard working forward who puts pressure on defenders, so there's a fit there in to what Poch would want?

I mean we're not likely to pull another Kane out of the hat so there's going to be some drop off in certain aspects of his play - if we got a left sided player to contribute at a similar level to Kulu then as a unit they could work well

Got us 3rd, 2nd, 3rd, 4th and to a CL final. And might have won us a title were it not for Chelsea not having any european football the year we got 2nd and maybe even a CL title, were it not us going down a goal in the first minute from a fluke penalty. And all that on a shoestring with the players he had available. We may not have won anything, but we were in the mix. Given our resources, that is all you could ask for at the time.

Whilst I agree with all that, others may say that’s just a load of excuses ;)

Would I swap playing like we did under Poch without winning anything, with playing like we do now with a chance of winning something?

In a heartbeat.

Did you enjoy it second half of last season when we smashed multiple teams 4-0 and 5-0 etc?

Amazingly that was when there was no extended injury crisis effecting one position and no insane schedule caused by the corrupt world cup and our audacity to qualify for the CL last season.

Did you enjoy it second half of last season when we smashed multiple teams 4-0 and 5-0 etc?

Amazingly that was when there was no extended injury crisis effecting one position and no insane schedule caused by the corrupt world cup and our audacity to qualify for the CL last season.

The insane schedule that makes the situation a par for every other team?

10 games in a row going behind, meaning 8 of those were before that WC.

This patchy form has been more than injuries and WC, come on now

Back