• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

*** Tottenham Hotspur v Aston Villa ***

Well maybe. The alignment between Conte and club doesnt feel like getting closer. I dnt know off the top of my head who might be a better fit, but I wonder how much Conte is at Spurs solely because of the huge salary he's on. Are we better off finding someone for say £7-£8m p.a. who is better aligned?

There is a man who is better aligned waiting at his home a stone's throw from Hotspur Way - Mauricio Pochettino. I have zero doubt him being available is leading to some permutations in Levy's mind atm.

The problem is, Poch would be returning to the same club he left. The key players in the dressing room from his final 18 months are still here (Dier, Lloris, Kane, Sonny), the painful rebuild he asked for has not been completed, and even his failed signings from 2019 are still here in Ndombele, Lo Celso and Sess.

Poch made it clear that we needed to start acting like a big club - buy furniture, to suit the house we had built. If we sack Conte now and go back to him because he's cheaper, it will only prove to him that we are the same club that drained him to exhaustion the last time. I don't doubt he loves us and would agree to return anyway, but it would not end well, for us or for him.

There is a man who is better aligned waiting at his home a stone's throw from Hotspur Way - Mauricio Pochettino. I have zero doubt him being available is leading to some permutations in Levy's mind atm.

The problem is, Poch would be returning to the same club he left. The key players in the dressing room from his final 18 months are still here (Dier, Lloris, Kane, Sonny), the painful rebuild he asked for has not been completed, and even his failed signings from 2019 are still here in Ndombele, Lo Celso and Sess.

Poch made it clear that we needed to start acting like a big club - buy furniture, to suit the house we had built. If we sack Conte now and go back to him because he's cheaper, it will only prove to him that we are the same club that drained him to exhaustion the last time. I don't doubt he loves us and would agree to return anyway, but it would not end well, for us or for him.
We will not be going back to Poch because he is cheaper. We will be going back to Poch because he has proven what he can do. And, as opposed to his first stint with us, now we actually have the money to buy the right furniture and refresh the squad. And a DoF on top of that; someone who will make sure we are not buying any more Ndombeles and Lo Celsos, but rather Romeros, Kulusevskis, and Bentancurs.

Lots have left - Toby, Jan, Eriksen, Dele etc

And lots haven't - Kane, Sonny, Dier, Lloris, Davies, Sanchez. In Kane, Lloris and Dier, we have the leaders of the side. In Lloris, Dier, Davies, Sonny and Sanchez, we have players who have regressed massively since their peak under Poch, but are still here for varying reasons.

I think we could do a lot better with the players we have
Would that work long term… I don’t know
I do know it took Klopp a long time and a lot of windows but he was committed to the cause
Contes about as committed to us as I am to my diet

Fair points, which is why we need to make sure the Paratici-role and signings are independent of Conte and stay on a sustainable basis. Keep signing 2-4 players per window in the 23-25 year age range for £20m - £40m per go

The keep/fire decision re Conte is finely balanced at the moment IMO. Lack of the obvious successor is helping Conte

Nah it's moved on since he left, from one of the lowest net spenders in the league to one of the highest - that alone is a huge difference and along with Paratichi instead of Hitchen alleviates a lot of the problems he faced.

He cleared out senior players who needed clearing out before and wanted to again towards the end of his time - no reason to think he wouldn't do so, if allowed, were he appointed this time around.

We will not be going back to Poch because he is cheaper. We will be going back to Poch because he has proven what he can do. And, as opposed to his first stint with us, now we actually have the money to buy the right furniture and refresh the squad. And a DoF on top of that; someone who will make sure we are not buying any more Ndombeles and Lo Celsos, but rather Romeros, Kulusevskis, and Bentancurs.

Sure, we can go back to Poch for any number of reasons - what I'm pointing out is that he wanted the same thing Conte wants, sustained backing, 60-70m players every window, etc. He asked for it before Conte did. So, he might not be best advised coming back to a club that has not fully committed to that model yet.

And lots haven't - Kane, Sonny, Dier, Lloris, Davies, Sanchez. In Kane, Lloris and Dier, we have the leaders of the side. In Lloris, Dier, Davies, Sonny and Sanchez, we have players who have regressed massively since their peak under Poch, but are still here for varying reasons.

Leaders don't repeatedly put in displays like today, leaders stand up when the chips are down, leaders pull players up a level.
None of our "leaders" do that.

Sure, we can go back to Poch for any number of reasons - what I'm pointing out is that he wanted the same thing Conte wants, sustained backing, 60-70m players every window, etc. He asked for it before Conte did. So, he might not be best advised coming back to a club that has not fully committed to that model yet.

Lets see in a couple windows time. Paratici did well in both 2022 windows IMO

Agree
We have a legacy of players still here who failed here at one time or another
It takes a LOT and time to change that, but it’s key

Maybe you have a point, but Moura is never a starter even when fit, and Son's form had been terrible before injuries. Richy missing has hurt us for sure. I still feel our style of play is too cautious. I watch Woolwich and they press from start to finish. High intensity stuff whereas we just seem so tepid.

Lucas is a key player when all the others bar Kane and Son are missing. There was even one game perhaps more where Son, Kulu and Richy were all missing and an unfit Lucas was wheeled out to play with Kane up front and its seldom been much better than that fitness wise.

Woolwich have had one notable extended injury all season and that is Jesus at the world cup. I guarantee you we’d be ahead of Woolwich in the league now if the two clubs situations were reversed.

Give them extended injuries to martinelli, saka, jesus, saliba, partey in the first half of the season and also have them in the CL playing important games every few days. And give us next to no injuries and us in the EL where we can make wholesale changes in those games…

People would then be questioning Arteta and hailing Conte for the ‘amazing’ job he’d be perceived for doing.

Conte is not responsible for the insane injuries we have had this season especially the ones all effecting one position, he is not responsible for the insane schedule we have had due to the corrupt world cup and CL (unless people blame him for getting top 4 last season), he is not responsible for hugo lloris being a clown and he certainly is not to blame for the ongoing deficiencies in the squad which are magnified even more by the other aforementioned issues of player fitness and the fixture schedule.

He got the reaction because fans are angry that he isn’t getting a chance

Was going to say, if @glasgowspur is saying he was showing intent from the bench that's one thing but it was when he was subbed on and I think you are spot on in the reason you've stated - Either way it was a well needed moment of positivity in another difficult* day for our supporters at the stadium.

*Not looking to catastrophize as it could be worse but think it's fair for fans to want better than they saw today

I want a manager who will go in and tell levy its my way or I'm off.
Tell me what you want and i will tell you what I need to do to achieve it, if you cannot give me that, financially or by backing in the dressing room, don't even think about appointing me.
I thought conte was that man.

Lets see in a couple windows time. Paratici did well in both 2022 windows IMO
I think he has done a blinding job with all apart from soence as he hasn’t made conte accountable for giving him games
His biggest challenge was, and still is, shifting the brick which is much harder than getting the shiny new toys in

I want a manager who will go in and tell levy its my way or I'm off.
Tell me what you want and i will tell you what I need to do to achieve it, if you cannot give me that, financially or by backing in the dressing room, don't even think about appointing me.
I thought conte was that man.
£12m a year is conte
That’s what he was interested in as no one else was paying that kind of money for a coach who would throw the club under the bus

Was going to say, if @glasgowspur is saying he was showing intent from the bench that's one thing but it was when he was subbed on and I think you are spot on in the reason you've stated - Either way it was a well needed moment of positivity in another difficult* day for our supporters at the stadium.

*Not looking to catastrophize as it could be worse but think it's fair for fans to want better than they saw today

The little minutes that spence has had he has shown intent and desire, that's what we all want and we are sadly lacking.
It seems to me too many of players are too comfortable knowing that they are going to get picked every week.
Judging by the crowd noise I'm not alone in that.

£12m a year is conte
That’s what he was interested in as no one else was paying that kind of money for a coach who would throw the club under the bus

We don't know that.
But is it not the same for everybody in football? Nobody is going to pay harry kane any more than spurs are, should we hust ditch him?

Back