• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

*** Tottenham Hotspur v Aston Villa ***

It’s system football rather than player football
It’s robotic rather than instinctive and it’s never been our way as a club (hence the negativity being the negative football)
I’ve said it before but we haven’t had one solid link to a creative player under conte
We are regularly linked to more of eye same.
Porro is a wing back, the same as Spence
Malinowski is a wide forward like Kulu
The CMs are all of the same ilk
There is no plan B and if plan A isn’t working we’re dead
My hope has been that the club was actively looking for such a player, not completely omitting it. Heck, we've even been buying to complement rather that replacing. Look what getting a proper facilitator has done for Arsenal, and even a rusty one for Man Utd. It's not rocket science, and certainly not down to magical managers or tactics. Hopeful fans probably hoped Lo Celso and such would be the one, but it became painfully clear early on that it wasn't the case. Without it, we're so one dimensional it's borderline zero dimensional.

Conte has spoken to the BBC ahead of this press conference
"In the first half we played with good intensity. We didn't concede anything and we found a team that defended too deep and then we conceded this goal and then the confidence dropped for my players.

"We have to know that our life is this. We have to fight every game for one point or for three points. This is the truth, especially when you are without two or three important players and have difficulties.

"We have different characteristics. We don't have many players who are really good to beat the man. We don't have many creative players in our team. For sure today was really difficult to find space in the first half.

"I'm sure that if we don't concede the goal, we could win the game instead. The goal that we conceded killed us in confidence and in many situations for sure. You have to try and improve and develop these players and especially young players to be even stronger."

On conceding first again: "We have conceded the first goal and for sure we try to play to score goals. There is an opponent like you that can score during the game. We understand very well that the league will be really really difficult for us.

"We have to try to recover all the [injured] players and then we have to know that in every game we have to fight and show that we are strong. The league will be very difficult for us.

"I want to be honest, I want to be very clear. I have said this to the club, I have said my opinions. The fans deserve the best. Maybe to stay in 5th is the best. Maybe 6th, 7th, 5th or 4th is the best."

Conte on the performance
"About the performance I'm not disappointed. From the start to the end I've seen the right committment and desire and intensity. The need to run. If you ask me football is a bit strange. If you ask me we dominated the game, in the first half we didn't create a chance to score because we found a team that defended really deep."

"Then we are unlucky to concede a goal and we affected the belief of the players."

Conte on the squad
We have four players and we have Lucas and Gil, who is a young player but in my opinion he played a good game. Then you have Kane, Son, Kulusevski and Richarlison. If you have these injuries it becomes difficult. Sonny has to continue to improve and it's difficult.

More from the Spurs boss
For the potential of the club, I continue to repeat that we made a miracle. It happened why? Because we played only one competition with 12, 13 players and they didn't have injuries in the last 15 games and we played only the best players. Arsenal were only four points up and we finished 20 points less than Emirates Marketing Project. We did a miracle and I knew the situation.

I was very clear with the club and in the summer people spoke about Tottenham as title contenders. From my experience it was a bit crazy to read this but you have to accept this. To become title contenders you need a solid foundation, 14-15 strong quality players and the young players to develop and every season you can add two players, but two players to invest £60m, £70m players to improve the level of your team.

People think that you arrive and you win in this way. If people are not used to this you need to create this situation, you need time and patience

"In the first half we played with good intensity. We didn't concede anything and we found a team that defended too deep and then we conceded this goal and then the confidence dropped for my players.

"We have to know that our life is this. We have to fight every game for one point or for three points. This is the truth, especially when you are without two or three important players and have difficulties.

"We have different characteristics. We don't have many players who are really good to beat the man. We don't have many creative players in our team. For sure today was really difficult to find space in the first half.

"I'm sure that if we don't concede the goal, we could win the game instead. The goal that we conceded killed us in confidence and in many situations for sure. You have to try and improve and develop these players and especially young players to be even stronger."

On conceding first again: "We have conceded the first goal and for sure we try to play to score goals. There is an opponent like you that can score during the game. We understand very well that the league will be really really difficult for us.

"We have to try to recover all the [injured] players and then we have to know that in every game we have to fight and show that we are strong. The league will be very difficult for us.

"I want to be honest, I want to be very clear. I have said this to the club, I have said my opinions. The fans deserve the best. Maybe to stay in 5th is the best. Maybe 6th, 7th, 5th or 4th is the best."

Conte on the performance
"About the performance I'm not disappointed. From the start to the end I've seen the right committment and desire and intensity. The need to run. If you ask me football is a bit strange. If you ask me we dominated the game, in the first half we didn't create a chance to score because we found a team that defended really deep."

"Then we are unlucky to concede a goal and we affected the belief of the players."

Conte on the squad
We have four players and we have Lucas and Gil, who is a young player but in my opinion he played a good game. Then you have Kane, Son, Kulusevski and Richarlison. If you have these injuries it becomes difficult. Sonny has to continue to improve and it's difficult.

More from the Spurs boss
For the potential of the club, I continue to repeat that we made a miracle. It happened why? Because we played only one competition with 12, 13 players and they didn't have injuries in the last 15 games and we played only the best players. Arsenal were only four points up and we finished 20 points less than Emirates Marketing Project. We did a miracle and I knew the situation.

I was very clear with the club and in the summer people spoke about Tottenham as title contenders. From my experience it was a bit crazy to read this but you have to accept this. To become title contenders you need a solid foundation, 14-15 strong quality players and the young players to develop and every season you can add two players, but two players to invest £60m, £70m players to improve the level of your team.

People think that you arrive and you win in this way. If people are not used to this you need to create this situation, you need time and patience

In summary, “What Mourinho said.”

Conte on the performance

Conte on the squad

More from the Spurs boss

You get time by committing

The one and only reason i wanted conte was because I thought he wouldn't tolerate this brick. He'd call this crap out and do what needed done.
Thats three and four managers some of these charlatans have gotten away with it under.
Not happy under poch or nuno, supposedly two of the nicest guys in management and not happy under jose and conte, two proven winners.
Hiding thier deficiencies by blaming others.

Not exactly inspiring words from Conte. Seems to be sulking and blaming the club instead of looking at himself.

The one and only reason i wanted conte was because I thought he wouldn't tolerate this brick. He'd call this crap out and do what needed done.
Thats three and four managers some of these charlatans have gotten away with it under.
Not happy under poch or nuno, supposedly two of the nicest guys in management and not happy under jose and conte, two proven winners.
Hiding thier deficiencies by blaming others.
He is getting paid too much money to complain enough to get sacked by breaching his contract

Bissouma has always played hus best football in a 3 man midfielder.

What is the point of continually playing a back 3 when we do not have 3 quality centre backs. Romero played in a back 4 for Argentina, just get him a partner and that would improve us.
He looks like a kid here
He got bullied by the young French lad and was a real weak link today

He's not what we need right now. Not saying he cannot be, or that he sometime(s) can do good things, but he's not the answer to anything.
He was a hell of a player ready to step up at Brighton. When pool was buying him 18 months ago I was gutted, as he is exactly what they needed
But here…. He is toilet. Conte must scare him brickless as he is posing his battles everywhere on the pitch and his passing is so so bad

He was a hell of a player ready to step up at Brighton. When pool was buying him 18 months ago I was gutted, as he is exactly what they needed
But here…. He is toilet. Conte must scare him brickless as he is posing his battles everywhere on the pitch and his passing is so so bad

Played under a young freedom of expression manager in Potter.....

There is your difference

That might be so, but we seem to be nullifying every weapon we have by not having a midfielder able to secure the ball for more than 2 seconds allowing some kind of attacking moves to form, Bentancour possibly excepted but the jury's still out on that one for me. And not least recognizing and complement such moves. I guess we have PEH as some breakup-anchor-player-thingy, but what is Bissouma's role? I've yet to identify what his tasks really are or what he's supposed to bring. He's just "there". Could be down to the manager of course or my lack of football intricacy understanding, but that doesn't help me much. We should never have gotten rid of Owen Goal, he was our 12th man Howard Webb who didn't even take up a spot on the team sheet.

I don’t think he will be wondering that at all. He is an intelligent man who will understand the context of the situation and the severity of the impact that this particular context has caused us this season. The amount of games missed this season by Son, Kulu, Richy and Lucas is extraordinary. For it to happen during this world cup year season for a CL club is ultra damaging where the schedule has been insane. If anything he will count his lucky stars that Kane has somehow managed to play 90 minutes in all but a couple of games.

Everyone at the club will be clear headed and understand what we have had to face this season. We then look to recruit and see this season out knowing in terms of the league it can only be salvaged with some extended rest bite from injuries decimating one area of the team combined with good recruitment this month.

Maybe you have a point, but Moura is never a starter even when fit, and Son's form had been terrible before injuries. Richy missing has hurt us for sure. I still feel our style of play is too cautious. I watch Woolwich and they press from start to finish. High intensity stuff whereas we just seem so tepid.

As poor as that was (and it was as dire as I can remember), we have to accept that with 2 or 3 of our starting 11 missing, we won't be at our best. But the problem I have with Conte is that the best managers adapt the system to the players they have available. Conte reminded me of Hoddle today: trying to build a Rolls Royce team but sometimes a Ford Transit team might be a better option. Why not play 442 or add Skip in midfield so Hojberg can play nearer goal?
Incidentally, I thought Docherty was dreadful in the second half - every time he got the ball he just passed it straight back again - but he wasn't why we lost, the lack of midfield creativity is just mind-numbing.

Back