• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

I want Poch back

I always see him a bit like my extra/shared dad. I think older fans maybe had the same with Burkinshaw or Nicholson

Burky was that.
Poch was that.
I think Jol is buzzing near, but the first two were special.
What Poch did was special. For the record, I don't want him back.

By the way, history is a great leveler.
There were many, many supporters who did not believe Poch deserved time and backing in the period before he was sacked. I will never forget it. Twas when I realized once and for all that no club is immune to fickle fans.

That was when we were losing 7-2 v Bayern and 3-0 against Brighton. I think supporters unfortunately support if there is evidence that positive times are there, or coming, but when there are no positive signs even if just for a temporary period, then people will find reasons to believe the sky is falling and to demand change.

How much did Poch get to spend on new players? Conte got to spend more these last two windows than Poch did in his last 3 years.

Just remember that when Levy did allow him free reign, he bought NDombele, LoCelso, Sess and Clarke. There is no doubt in my mind that at least the first two were his choices. Signing hew players under his watch was generally a disaster. So much money wasted.

By the way, history is a great leveler.
There were many, many supporters who did not believe Poch deserved time and backing in the period before he was sacked. I will never forget it. Twas when I realized once and for all that no club is immune to fickle fans.
Let's be honest Steff the last 18 months of him in charge lucky CL run aside was pretty much abysmal in terms of results & performances

Him coming back wouldn't work unless it was a completely new fresh set of young hungry players

Spence Romero Udogie Skipp Bentancur Sarr Kulusevski Richarlson

Plenty to get going with next season

And yeah the last 18 months were poor but there were obvious mitigating factors that led us to that point

Yes, but not yet.

At his best with young hungry players. At his best with a team willing and able to press high. We don't have that, we won't have that until the post-Kane era.

Very much trust Conte to turn this around. We've been good, we've been entertaining, we've showed progress. Just not recently when injuries, fixture congestion and too much reliance on subpar players has made us stale and poor way too often.

This part of the season just needs to end. Be over with. Give Conte a hopefully somewhat refreshed squad with fewer injuries when things start up again. And hopefully a couple of good additions in January.

I don't think I'll get too impatient quickly after the restart either. If we're still looking similar come end end of January, start of February, with Conte having had time to get us back to form I may change my mind.

Just remember that when Levy did allow him free reign, he bought NDombele, LoCelso, Sess and Clarke. There is no doubt in my mind that at least the first two were his choices. Signing hew players under his watch was generally a disaster. So much money wasted.

Poch was never that interested in transfers, he was a coach. He just wanted a DoF he could trust/defer to. Unfortunately Levy hired Steve Hitchin

And yeah the last 18 months were poor but there were obvious mitigating factors that led us to that point

I agree. There's a group there. Could add others too like Spence, Bissouma and Hojbjerg even though not as young, could be good fits.

But still too many of the old guard, too many I think wouldn't be a good fit any longer. And they're role at the club is too big.

damn right we do, and none of us should be happy until it is, we're not going to win anything first, but we can win it better

And when it isn't all lovely and perfect you sometimes need to shake things up, kick people up the arse and be hard nosed.
We don't seem to have that.
The four senior pros i mentioned earlier, along with Dembele, jan, toby should be ruling that dressing room.
They should be demanding a higher level of performance, but they should also be leading by example, and for me they don't.
They are passive and that is allowed to happen, that calls into question their desire to win.
Look at the players we have brought in that we have said are going to make a difference, peh, Bentancur, romero and perisic in this cycle alone, Joe hart (still can't believe that), bale and even jose, they talk the talk when they get here and then fall into the complacency and easy life that is tottenham.
Hugo, jan, kane, son and eriksen, all fantastic players, has any club ever made a real concerted effort to get them, that points to something in my view.
We have mediocrity because we accept mediocrity, we accept it because we don't want to upset anyone.

I agree. There's a group there. Could add others too like Spence, Bissouma and Hojbjerg even though not as young, could be good fits.

But still too many of the old guard, too many I think wouldn't be a good fit any longer. And they're role at the club is too big.

I think given that at the time Poch was speaking about tough decisions needing to be made by the club and that he was happy to move on from Walker & Alderweireld when it became apparent they were either not here for the cause or no longer up to it (and by all accounts ready to move on from Eriksen) that it's arguable that he wouldn't have a problem ushering out those that need to be now - that and the fact he called the painful rebuild as well shows he has a good eye for the medium to long term

I think given that at the time Poch was speaking about tough decisions needing to be made by the club and that he was happy to move on from Walker & Alderweireld when it became apparent they were either not here for the cause or no longer up to it (and by all accounts ready to move on from Eriksen) that it's arguable that he wouldn't have a problem ushering out those that need to be now - that and the fact he called the painful rebuild as well shows he has a good eye for the medium to long term

We should never hold onto a player that does not want to be here.
Get the best fee possible and get them out.

Yes, its not the right time to make a decision on changing manager yet

Need to get through the next two transfer windows and hopefully bring in a couple players in Jan and 3-4 in the summer.

If the football is as desperate next season as it is now and we're not in the top 4, then fine to change and maybe you do go back to Poch, but changing now wouldnt make much sense

I think that as with practically everything the truth lies somewhere inbetween. @billyiddo @thfcsteff are absolutely right that Poch should have been given time to do his rebuild - I wasn’t so sure personally but with the magic of hindsight and the calibre of manager we’ve had in since and no real progression you can’t argue against that.

However, its also easy to forget that Poch was a shadow of the energetic charismatic coach we grew to love by the end. He was having meltdowns and coming out with unexplainable things, and he physically looked like a broken man. It was the best thing for himself more than anyone else that he left by the end - regardless of whose fault it was that he was in that state.

As for now, let’s see what things are looking like by the end of the season. Things change so quickly in football. New signings in the window and potentially Conte will change tactic after the World Cup in terms of these slow starts, who knows. And despite the doom and gloom (of which I was very much part of yesterday) we are still in the top 4 and in the Champions League knockouts - most teams in this league would give their left nut for that. I believe Conte will get this team firing before the end of the season. But if not and Conte doesn’t seem up for the challenge going forward? Poch would be tempting for next season for sure…..

Yes, its not the right time to make a decision on changing manager yet

Need to get through the next two transfer windows and hopefully bring in a couple players in Jan and 3-4 in the summer.

If the football is as desperate next season as it is now and we're not in the top 4, then fine to change and maybe you do go back to Poch, but changing now wouldnt make much sense

I'm not backing the opinion we should make any change now - i mean if Conte was to walk i wouldn't hesitate to bring Poch in personally but if it's down to me- we see what the 2nd half of the season brings, this could easily be a season where the end justifies the means.

The big question will be if we have a dodgy second half of the season and Conte remains uncommitted - do we risk going in to a new season with a manager who might walk away? At that point unless he's happy with the backing he is getting and is indicating that he's committed to the project of building the team over several windows it may be best to not take uo the extension

I'm not backing the opinion we should make any change now - i mean if Conte was to walk i wouldn't hesitate to bring Poch in personally but if it's down to me- we see what the 2nd half of the season brings, this could easily be a season where the end justifies the means.

The big question will be if we have a dodgy second half of the season and Conte remains uncommitted - do we risk going in to a new season with a manager who might walk away? At that point unless he's happy with the backing he is getting and is indicating that he's committed to the project of building the team over several windows it may be best to not take uo the extension

We don't do common sense on this forum.

Back