• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

I want Poch back

This is why I wish Chelsea hired Poch.

So many Spurs fans still pining for him as if he is the only manager out there that isn't a defensive brickhouse.

It was the right time to let Poch go. He looked a shell of his former self when he left. The performances were going downhill for about 18 months with the CL run papering over the cracks.

Because we didn’t buy anyone for three transfer windows and so he ran the squad we had in to the ground. It was the end of the cycle for a lot of the players and no one was coming in to keep them fresh or to then eventually replace these first teamers.

It was the right time to let Poch go. He looked a shell of his former self when he left. The performances were going downhill for about 18 months with the CL run papering over the cracks.
I don't know if it's the right time for Poch to come back (or if there ever is a right time for a second stint) but I'm sure it would be more enjoyable.

I'd still give Conte another year of rebuilding and see where we are. The second half of last season was entertaining enough and it was winning football. I don't know why the regression in performances this season when I thought we'd really kick on.

Klopp had a similar issue/5 year itch (its arguably happened twice with him), but the club backed him, he reset, and they came back strong again. Whereas Levy chased Mou's skirt and fudged everything up

Because we didn’t buy anyone for three transfer windows and so he ran the squad we had in to the ground. It was the end of the cycle for a lot of the players and no one was coming in to keep them fresh or to then eventually replace these first teamers.
He got players in the last window before he left (turned out to be a brick window when we all thought it was great). It's not just the players and performances, it's how he looked, totally burned out, spark and interest seemed to be gone. He was better off leaving for his own sake as well as the club at that point.

Klopp had a similar issue/5 year itch (its arguably happened twice with him), but the club backed him, he reset, and they came back strong again. Whereas Levy chased Mou's skirt and fudged everything up
With Liverpool? They had one bad year during Covid but came back strong towards the end. They've started poorly this year but still in with a good chance of top 4.
Klopp himself still seems the same moaning clown shoe as ever, nothing's changed.

I remember he also wouldn’t rule out taking over the managerial position at Real Madrid etc and the thought was whether he had reached the end of his journey here. Then we have bounced around with negative football from otherwise excellent managers.

Is down really on?
No it’s not on.
Just mean as a club we’ve moved on. Looking back on what was and could’ve been is not the way to go. Poch will bring good football but surely we don’t need to be going back to previous managers as much as I enjoyed his time here. There must be others out there.

No it’s not on.
Just mean as a club we’ve moved on. Looking back on what was and could’ve been is not the way to go. Poch will bring good football but surely we don’t need to be going back to previous managers as much as I enjoyed his time here. There must be others out there.

For me there is unfinished business there, that's why his name always crops back up. Bad timing with the stadium meaning we couldn't invest at the right time led to it falling apart rather than any particular failing on either sides part, it's rare that's the case imo

I don't want a new m
No it’s not on.

Poch is a double edged sword for me, love him and nothing would give me greater pleasure than him to return and right some wrongs.
But fudge me the pain if it went wrong, and tbh with this club it will go wrong.
I know, to dare is to do, but as poch said we lack balls.

Christian Gross… we must work harder on the training ground. He had so much brick to work with. Think he was better as a manager than he appeared but we had a team half filled with players of the standard of Emerson Royal’s attacking play.

I understand the sentiment of this thread - performances seem to be getting worse and feel like George Graham levels - but i don't think it's good to go back to a previous manager who hasn't shown he has grown himself since he left us.
However, i understand the sentiment as i say

I also have a lot of cheek, I was all in on binning him off, couldn't wait, thought he was doing a shocking job, phoning it in, and I still think he was to a degree, I thought Jose would come in and we'd be instantly back to our best.

To be fair to Jose, we did get better, very quickly, but then it went to brick again, as it did under Nuno, as it has under Conte.

Doesn't matter who manages us, we are gonna Spurs it up.

I love Conte, he has my full support, he's doing as good a job as is possible with this cursed club.

When he is inevitably gone though, I absolutely want Poch back, love him dearly, I've given up on us ever winning anything that matters, so lets have people we love around, my expectation is now zero.

Spurs will always let you down.

If we do it, it needs to be done the right way, the old seat on the board FM switch, he comes back with the understanding that we will never sack him, even when we land in the conference, we all settle together.

For me there is unfinished business there, that's why his name always crops back up. Bad timing with the stadium meaning we couldn't invest at the right time led to it falling apart rather than any particular failing on either sides part, it's rare that's the case imo
I agree 100% with these points. Just have a feeling it would go wrong if he came back.
Suppose we will find out one day but I feel it’s too soon.

Do you know why Pochettino failed? We had three transfer windows with zero activity. The players were ran in to the ground, not fresh and so were stale and under performing. Our league form fell but that was ‘ok’ whilst we were competing for the Champions League. fudge knows what happened with our signings following the CL loss. Ndombele, lo celso and Sessegnon, a LOT of money for players that either weren’t good enough, weren’t ready, or both.

Conte either needs full backing to get the squad that he wants. Or we need to appoint a different manager who gets full backing. One way or another the future is on Levy. We can’t achieve results or play good football whilst our squad is paper thin in terms of quality of players the manager likes.
I simply cannot believe that we made zero signings because Levy refused to get the chequebook out. Rather, I think Poch wanted very particular players, without a plan B for when the moves broke down. Money was spent, eventually, but it was largely on players who simply didn't work out.

This is, I think, the full list of Poch era 1st team signings:

Ben Davies: Signed from Swansea for £11.39m in July 2014
Michel Vorm: Signed from Swansea for £5.12m in July 2014
Eric Dier: Signed from Sporting Lisbon for £4.50m in July 2014
DeAndre Yedlin: Signed form Seattle Sounders for £2.34m in August 2014
Federico Fazio: Signed from Sevilla for £9m in August 2014
Benjamin Stambouli: Signed from Montpellier for £5.31m in August 2014
Dele Alli: Signed from MK Dons for £5.97m in February 2015
Kevin Wimmer: Signed from FC Köln for £5.40m in June 2015
Kieran Trippier: Signed from Burnley for £4.41m in June 2015
Toby Alderweireld: Signed from Atletico Madrid for £14.40m in July 2015
Clinton N'Jie: Signed from Lyon for £12.69m in August 2015
Heung-min Son: Signed from Bayer Leverkusen for £27.00m in August 2015
Victor Wanyama: Signed from Southampton for £12.96m in June 2016
Vincent Janssen: Signed from AZ Alkmaar for £19.80m in July 2016
Moussa Sissoko: Signed from Saudi Sportswashing Machine for £31.50m in August 2016
Georges-Kevin N'Koudou: Signed from Marseille for £9.90m in August 2016
Davinson Sanchez: Signed from Ajax for £36.00m in August 2017
Juan Foyth: Signed from Estudiantes for £11.70m in August 2017
Serge Aurier: Signed from Paris Saint-Germain for £22.50m in August 2017
Fernando Llorente: Signed from Swansea for £13.59m in August 2017
Lucas Moura: Signed from Paris Saint-Germain for £25.56m in January 2018
Tanguay Ndombele: Signed from Lyon for £54m in July 2019
Jack Clarke: Signed from Leeds for £9.9m in July 2019
Ryan Sessegnon: Signed from Fulham for £24.30m in August 2019

Summary by window:

Summer 2014: £37M on Davies, Vorm, Dier, Yedlin, Fazio and Sambouli = 2 hits, 1 okay, 3 failures
Winter 2015: £6M on Dele = 1 absolute hit
Summer 2015: £63M on Wimmer, Trippier, Toby, N'Jie and Sonny = 3 hits, 2 failures
Winter 2016: No-one
Summer 2016: £74M on Wanyama, Janssen, Sissoko and N'Koudou = 1 hit (Sissoko!), 3 failures
Winter 2017: No-one
Summer 2017: £84M on Sanchez, Foyth, Aurier and Llorente = 1 okay (Sanchez), 3 failures
Winter 2018: £25M on Moura = 1 okay
Summer 2018: No-one
Winter 2019: No-one
Summer 2019: £88M on Ndombele, Clarke, and Sessegnon = 2 absolute failures and 1 okay (Sess)

So was it Levy or was it Poch? I'm still going to say a bit of both.

Maybe this is the time for Poch to return refreshed. Maybe Paratici is exactly what he needs. The mood at the club seems to be pretty poor now -- I find myself just waiting for the turgid style of play (first half at least) to catch up with us, as it did with Mourinho.

That said, Conte is capable of getting our motley bunch to play some lovely football, as in the second half against Liverpool. It just isn't happening enough.

I don't want a new m

Poch is a double edged sword for me, love him and nothing would give me greater pleasure than him to return and right some wrongs.
But fudge me the pain if it went wrong, and tbh with this club it will go wrong.
I know, to dare is to do, but as poch said we lack balls.
That’s my fear to . Can see it going sideways.

Back