• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

what has happened to the transfer section?

oh the irony

How is that ironic?

He wouldn't score enough goals to make up for what he lacks in the rest of his game.

If he scored 30-40 goals in a season then yes, it would make sense for barca to have him, but he doesn't have the ability to do it.

We're just going in circles.

On the scale of Berbatov to Tevez in defender harrassing he's closer to Berbatov. (imo)

Gomez is a striker. Strikers are meant to score goals. He scores a lot of goals. Thus i rate him highly.

Granted you can have strikers who add to all round play. However if you are scoring as many as Gomez has you don't really need to.

Gomez is great striker on his day but he's a big match bottler. Mentally he doesn't have it.

This is the Turkish striker who was scoring for fun last season (we were linked, iirc)

Ended up signing for Galatasaray (around €5m) - and is now joint top-scorer in the CL along with 19 in 23 apps (all comps)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Burak_Yılmaz

His goal was quality on Tueday night, btw

Wish we took a punt when the agents were 'advertising' - sick of this Damiao flimflam

Last edited:
whatever happeed to collins john that big black dutch striker at fulham, i always thought he would turn into a handy player.

I just wiki'd.. apparently after several different clubs and hardly playing OR scoring he joined Barnet only to get injured and released!

Years Team Apps† (Gls)†
2002–2004 Twente 35 (11)
2004–2009 Fulham 95 (20)
2007–2008 → Leicester City (loan) 11 (2)
2008 → Watford (loan) 5 (0)
2008–2009 → N.E.C. (loan) 7 (2)
2009–2010 Roeselare 11 (3)
2010–2011 Chicago Fire 17 (3)
2011 Gabala 3 (0)
2011–2012 Mes Sarcheshmeh 9 (3)
2012–2013 Barnet 1 (0)
National team‡
2004–2006 Netherlands U21 9 (4)
2004 Netherlands 2 (0)

Still only 27 too

EDIT: He also has a brother who plays called Paddy believe it or not

Last edited:
When Arsenal host Villa this weekend the home fans may well have their eye on an opposition player as well as their own with the Gunners, along with fierce rivals Tottenham, strongly linked with the visitors prized asset.

Christian Benteke has been a revelation in his first season in English football and has shone in a struggling side that without him may have already bitten the dust this season. If the Villa faithful have one thing to thank Paul Lambert for, it is certainly the young Belgian’s arrival, having already picked up a somewhat iconic status at the club.

This week, when asked about the links between the forward and the two North London clubs, teammate Gabby Agbonlahor stated, "He’s gifted in what he can do, so he’s going to be linked with a lot of clubs. I think he’s good enough for even higher than them."

His transfer fee was certainly one that alarmed most fans, with the Midlands outfit, after a drawn out series of negotiations, eventually stumping up around £7m for their man. When asked about the proposition of his star striker leaving the club, whether they were relegated or not, Lambert replied “If someone wanted to buy Christian, they’d better have a few quid in their pocket." In response to the suggestion as to whether or not he had doubled his transfer value the Scot added, "Yes, by miles."

It's clear that the relegation battlers won't let the 22 year old go on the cheap, no matter what level they are playing their football next season, but just how good is Benteke?

While most will point to the youngster's stature as his main point of strength, and Villa have looked to utilise this, Benteke has arguably been one of the most pivotal players to a team in the league this season. His 11 goals (15 in all competitions) and 4 assists account for 44% of the team's overall league tally this season, which is a higher percentage than any other player in the top flight. However, it isn't just his direct contribution to Aston Villa's meagre goal haul that makes him so important.

Few teams focus almost the entirety of their attacking intent through one player, and the Belgian has a key role to play in the build up of moves prior to any attempts he has at goal himself. Of all forwards in the league only 4 have averaged more touches per game (45.6) and considering that all of those (Rooney, Tevez, Berbatov and Suarez) have played in withdrawn roles this season his inclusion in play from the perspective of an out-and-out striker is huge. Indeed, of each Premier League team's most used forward, Benteke is only responsible for a lower proportion of his side's average touches (8%) than Berbatov and Suarez.

2013%2f2%2fBenteke-Touches.jpg

Of course there is no getting beyond the Belgium international's 6'3" frame, often literally, but Benteke's willingness to challenge for every ball is highly commendable. He has competed in 50 more aerial duels (330) than any other player in Europe's top 5 leagues and, in turn, has unsurprisingly won more than any other player (192). While Villa often don't get the men around him needed to spark a successful attack, Benteke still brings teammates into play superbly.

He has both attempted (141) and completed (116) the second most lay-offs per game behind Santi Cazorla and also found a teammate with the second most accurate flick-ons in the top flight (67), behind Crouch. One could then suggest that were he to play in a more successful team he would be able to link up attacks with far greater success than he can at Villa, who have only averaged more shots per game (11) than Stoke and Reading.

It seems that most reservations as to whether he could make the step up to the likes of Arsenal and Spurs already regard his team play, and overall passing game. His accuracy in terms of the latter, at 65.3%, is not poor for a player of his position. Indeed it is worth noting that his figure is better than the likes of Crouch, Carroll and even Olivier Giroud, who all represent similar focal points for their side's attacks, though you'll get a different opinion from every Arsenal fan that you ask with regards to the Frenchman's abilities.

Chance creation is another area in which he has excelled expectations this season, which may encourage fans of the Belgian's respective suitors. Benteke has set up 34 chances for teammates from open play, which is enough to rank 5th of all strikers in the league and again behind players who tend to be able to drop and allow others to overlap (Suarez, Lambert, Berbatov and Tevez) - a luxury rarely afforded to the former Genk man this season.

If there is perhaps one key department in which his figures could do with some work it is probably his finishing, though his recent form in that area suggests progress is being made. His 11 league strikes have come from 74 shots, leaving him with a conversion rate of 14.9%. That’s only enough to rank 13th of the 17 players to have reached double figures this season but, significantly it’s some way up on the likes of Giroud (11.7%), Defoe (10.2%) and Adebayor (8.7%).

Few can question the ability that Benteke has, or indeed the impact that he has made at Villa Park, but whether Lambert can keep him in the Midlands will certainly revolve around survival in the Premier League. Quotes from the striker earlier in the season left little doubt as to the side that he dreams of lining up for ahead of this weekend’s fixture, stating “Arsenal are the club I love,” but if Villa can avoid the drop this season, another year as the main man will certainly stand him in good stead for the future.

One thing’s for sure, when the travelling fans sing ‘Don’t you wish your striker was Ben-tek-e?’ come Saturday, they will certainly be wary of the hosts getting their wish in the summer.

Fuego (won't quote your posts in order to avoid clutter) - similar and / or inferior strikers are currently playing for top PL sides - which was my initial point to indianspur's comment on 'Bottom 14 sides only' - not sure why you insist so much on 'categorising' him away from what you believe this mythical all-round striker must be in order to be considered 'good enough for the top'

Along with the 10% loss of possession comment, sorry but that is simply nowhere near true - you make him sound like a mid-Championship player. He's scored goals everywhere he's played, and I'm sure if a top team were to take a punt - much of same pattern would continue along with the added quality of improved service. And before the next 'goals is all he offers' - tell me, would you prefer 10 goal/season strikers at Spurs who run around and close players or a 30 goal/season poacher who gets the job done. This season if anything should have confirmed how utterly impotent we seem in converting chances or even threaten the opposition goalie.

Oh, well by that logic Kane, Campbell and various other young strikers played for us, Arsenal have had several extreme fudge ups for strikers and Chelsea have Torres playing for them even now, so sure. If you're point is simply that "worse players have been in top squads", sure.

I categorize him because Heskey played for England and if someone asked him his position he would have said "striker". There are goalkeepers that score more than Heskey. By your logic every single English man between 18 and 32 should have been eligible to play for England a couple of years ago because they could score as many goals as Heskey.

No, doesn't have to be a striker that's good at everything to be picked for a top side. But you can make a list of qualities a top side would want in a striker and if they fulfill half of them, they'd probably get in. It can be a hard working, tactically aware, disciplined player... It can be a 10 foot tall guy purely there for knockdowns and defensive headers, it can be a creator... There are many different types of strikers and if you even look at Berbatov who was PL top goalscorer despite hardly playing any games, he didn't make it into United's side very often the season after, supporting my argument that you can't just look at goals. (That said, Berbatov offers the same as a target man or as a creative forward so he offered way more Bent would have.) However, the common theme is a pure finisher that offers nothing else does not become a regular at a top club. There are a few exceptions across Europe but if you look at the managers of the PL clubs we're talking about, you can generally tell the strikers they like.

-------------

Along with the 10% loss of possession comment, sorry but that is simply nowhere near true - you make him sound like a mid-Championship player.

No, I was only talking about around a 5% swing both ways. Take one of the high possession 4-3-3 Liverpool performances this year or high possession 4-3-3 Swansea performances last year, change it to a 4-4-2 by removing a midfielder and adding a striker, then watch what happens. Defoe would be the same. Each shot = loss of possession unless it goes out for a corner or something.

I was simply stating the trade off. Bent's style is not to work with the team to create little areas around the ball in which his team outnumbers the opposition in order to pass through them, his style is generally to hang around on the shoulder of the last defender and ask for a ball over the top, this ball over the top is likely to result in possession changing hands, even if Bent does get on to it, it should create a chance for him to shoot, which will then probably result in possession changing hands. In each trademark Bent position, he is getting in a position to shoot.

I said he'd get a ton of goals, so I'm not sure why you think I made him sound like a mid-championship player. You know Rodgers has the "play it only when it is safe, else recycle it until the opposition gets bored and leaves space for us" philosophy, but you also know Rodgers had until he signed Sturridge a "oh brick, we only have 2 people that score goals regularly" problem. So he has been playing another striker with Suarez lately... Before he signed Sturridge, if he had been given Bent, he might have played him because he needed goals. That said, they might not have. When Barca had Ibra up front, they didn't hit the ball long to him even when they were losing/drawing games because they couldn't find a way to score. Sometimes philosophies aren't compromised and people seem stubborn as a result.

He's scored goals everywhere he's played, and I'm sure if a top team were to take a punt - much of same pattern would continue along with the added quality of improved service. And before the next 'goals is all he offers' - tell me, would you prefer 10 goal/season strikers at Spurs who run around and close players or a 30 goal/season poacher who gets the job done.

For every "goals is all he offers" comment I make, you make a comment about "Darren Bent scores goals"... I know he scores goals, I'm sure he'd score lots of goals for top clubs. I'm not arguing against that.

There's not enough information in that question for me to give a true answer. If the 10 goal/season striker is just a Defoe that runs around but doesn't score much and the 30/season is a Defoe that scores with almost all his long shots but doesn't run at all, it's a case of not wanting either.

How many games do we usually play a season? 60? 38 league + europa league + cups... If we don't get knocked out about 60, if we get knocked out I guess about 45-50...

So let's look at the best and worst case scenarios. In a 60 game season, you start half your games with a 1-0 advantage but play all games with 10 men. In a 45 game season you start 75% of your games with a 1-0 advantage but play all games with 10 men.

In a 60 game season, you start 10 of your games with a 3-0 advantage but play all of your games with 10 men.

Ok, so playing games with 10 men is probably a bit harsh because even if the guy doesn't run, press, mark, pass, do anything, it shouldn't be that bad. But if that player takes all free kicks/penalties and the focus of your play goes through him, to the point that he takes the vast majority of your team's shots... How would anyone want that guy?

This season if anything should have confirmed how utterly impotent we seem in converting chances or even threaten the opposition goalie.

We have a fudgeton of shots on target, we generally have in the last couple of years.

R Team Shots pg Shots OT pg Dribbles pg Fouled pg Offsides pg
1 Tottenham 18.3 6.3 8.3 10.7 1.6
2 Emirates Marketing Project 17.5 6.1 8 9.3 1.8
3 Liverpool 19.9 5.8 10.1 9.8 2.4
4 Everton 17 5.8 5 13.7 2.9
5 Manchester United 15 5.8 6.5 11.1 2.6
6 Chelsea 16.2 5.5 7 11.4 2.2
7 Arsenal 15.7 5.4 11.2 10.7 2
8 Saudi Sportswashing Machine 14.4 5.1 8.5 11.3 1.8
9 Swansea 13.2 4.7 5.2 11.4 2.3
10 Fulham 12.7 4.6 5.8 11.4 1.5
11 West Ham 13 4.1 4.9 9.9 2
12 Wigan 12.6 4.1 6.9 11.7 2.3
13 Queens Park Rangers 12.7 4 8.5 11.9 2.8
14 West Bromwich Albion 12.8 4 5.3 10.3 2.7
15 Southampton 13.2 4 5.4 9 2.2
16 Sunderland 11.1 3.8 5.9 12.8 1.9
17 Norwich 11.5 3.6 5 10.5 2.6
18 Aston Villa 11 3.4 5.8 8 2.6
19 Reading 9.7 3.2 4.9 12 2.3
20 Stoke 9.9 3.1 3.8 9.5 1.8

Sorry, I'm too lazy to make that table pretty, but we're top of shots on target per game. Opposition goalies are busy when they play us.

I'm not sure why this season should have confirmed we're impotent in converting chances or threatening the opposition GK. For the record, we started this season with Defoe, the finisher...

Telegraph says that there has been tentative interest from Spurs in Edin Dzeko, who in all likelyhood will be put up for sale by City in the summer.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/fo...0m-bid-for-Napoli-striker-Edinson-Cavani.html

Notice that the article is written by AVBs "friend in the media" Jason Burt, so it may have some truth to it.

We should have gone after him and not adeyabor he is much more suited to how avb plays. Would love this to be true.

I dont see how we can try and buy ANY Emirates Marketing Project players. The wages that they are on is so far beyond what we would be willing to pay.
Look at how long the Adebayor negotiations dragged on for...

When Arsenal host Villa this weekend the home fans may well have their eye on an opposition player as well as their own with the Gunners, along with fierce rivals Tottenham, strongly linked with the visitors prized asset.

Christian Benteke has been a revelation in his first season in English football and has shone in a struggling side that without him may have already bitten the dust this season. If the Villa faithful have one thing to thank Paul Lambert for, it is certainly the young Belgian’s arrival, having already picked up a somewhat iconic status at the club.

This week, when asked about the links between the forward and the two North London clubs, teammate Gabby Agbonlahor stated, "He’s gifted in what he can do, so he’s going to be linked with a lot of clubs. I think he’s good enough for even higher than them."

His transfer fee was certainly one that alarmed most fans, with the Midlands outfit, after a drawn out series of negotiations, eventually stumping up around £7m for their man. When asked about the proposition of his star striker leaving the club, whether they were relegated or not, Lambert replied “If someone wanted to buy Christian, they’d better have a few quid in their pocket." In response to the suggestion as to whether or not he had doubled his transfer value the Scot added, "Yes, by miles."

It's clear that the relegation battlers won't let the 22 year old go on the cheap, no matter what level they are playing their football next season, but just how good is Benteke?

While most will point to the youngster's stature as his main point of strength, and Villa have looked to utilise this, Benteke has arguably been one of the most pivotal players to a team in the league this season. His 11 goals (15 in all competitions) and 4 assists account for 44% of the team's overall league tally this season, which is a higher percentage than any other player in the top flight. However, it isn't just his direct contribution to Aston Villa's meagre goal haul that makes him so important.

Few teams focus almost the entirety of their attacking intent through one player, and the Belgian has a key role to play in the build up of moves prior to any attempts he has at goal himself. Of all forwards in the league only 4 have averaged more touches per game (45.6) and considering that all of those (Rooney, Tevez, Berbatov and Suarez) have played in withdrawn roles this season his inclusion in play from the perspective of an out-and-out striker is huge. Indeed, of each Premier League team's most used forward, Benteke is only responsible for a lower proportion of his side's average touches (8%) than Berbatov and Suarez.

2013%2f2%2fBenteke-Touches.jpg

Of course there is no getting beyond the Belgium international's 6'3" frame, often literally, but Benteke's willingness to challenge for every ball is highly commendable. He has competed in 50 more aerial duels (330) than any other player in Europe's top 5 leagues and, in turn, has unsurprisingly won more than any other player (192). While Villa often don't get the men around him needed to spark a successful attack, Benteke still brings teammates into play superbly.

He has both attempted (141) and completed (116) the second most lay-offs per game behind Santi Cazorla and also found a teammate with the second most accurate flick-ons in the top flight (67), behind Crouch. One could then suggest that were he to play in a more successful team he would be able to link up attacks with far greater success than he can at Villa, who have only averaged more shots per game (11) than Stoke and Reading.

It seems that most reservations as to whether he could make the step up to the likes of Arsenal and Spurs already regard his team play, and overall passing game. His accuracy in terms of the latter, at 65.3%, is not poor for a player of his position. Indeed it is worth noting that his figure is better than the likes of Crouch, Carroll and even Olivier Giroud, who all represent similar focal points for their side's attacks, though you'll get a different opinion from every Arsenal fan that you ask with regards to the Frenchman's abilities.

Chance creation is another area in which he has excelled expectations this season, which may encourage fans of the Belgian's respective suitors. Benteke has set up 34 chances for teammates from open play, which is enough to rank 5th of all strikers in the league and again behind players who tend to be able to drop and allow others to overlap (Suarez, Lambert, Berbatov and Tevez) - a luxury rarely afforded to the former Genk man this season.

If there is perhaps one key department in which his figures could do with some work it is probably his finishing, though his recent form in that area suggests progress is being made. His 11 league strikes have come from 74 shots, leaving him with a conversion rate of 14.9%. That’s only enough to rank 13th of the 17 players to have reached double figures this season but, significantly it’s some way up on the likes of Giroud (11.7%), Defoe (10.2%) and Adebayor (8.7%).

Few can question the ability that Benteke has, or indeed the impact that he has made at Villa Park, but whether Lambert can keep him in the Midlands will certainly revolve around survival in the Premier League. Quotes from the striker earlier in the season left little doubt as to the side that he dreams of lining up for ahead of this weekend’s fixture, stating “Arsenal are the club I love,” but if Villa can avoid the drop this season, another year as the main man will certainly stand him in good stead for the future.

One thing’s for sure, when the travelling fans sing ‘Don’t you wish your striker was Ben-tek-e?’ come Saturday, they will certainly be wary of the hosts getting their wish in the summer.

Oh well JD.... at least you're more influential than Djbril Cisse...

I just wiki'd.. apparently after several different clubs and hardly playing OR scoring he joined Barnet only to get injured and released!

Years Team Apps† (Gls)†
2002–2004 Twente 35 (11)
2004–2009 Fulham 95 (20)
2007–2008 → Leicester City (loan) 11 (2)
2008 → Watford (loan) 5 (0)
2008–2009 → N.E.C. (loan) 7 (2)
2009–2010 Roeselare 11 (3)
2010–2011 Chicago Fire 17 (3)
2011 Gabala 3 (0)
2011–2012 Mes Sarcheshmeh 9 (3)
2012–2013 Barnet 1 (0)
National team‡
2004–2006 Netherlands U21 9 (4)
2004 Netherlands 2 (0)

Still only 27 too

EDIT: He also has a brother who plays called Paddy believe it or not

Cheeky £15m bid?....\o/

I dont see how we can try and buy ANY Emirates Marketing Project players. The wages that they are on is so far beyond what we would be willing to pay.
Look at how long the Adebayor negotiations dragged on for...

I'd assume that we would do the same as we did with Adebayor, prey that no richer clubs are interested and get City to subsidise his wages.

Back