• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

what has happened to the transfer section?

we are 16 points away from the 70-point mark, and just two ahead of Arsenal. we have just suffered two losses back-to-back. We have nine difficult games left to play. This is not the time to plan for the fudging summer.

Two?

Of course we should be planning for the summer already. I would be very disappointed indeed if Levy, AVB et al hadn't already drawn up a list of targets and at least put out the first tentative feelers.

Of course we should be planning for the summer already. I would be very disappointed indeed if Levy, AVB et al hadn't already drawn up a list of targets and at least put out the first tentative feelers.

I would say almost certainly that's the case.

Of course when we're playing two games a week AVB will focus almost entirely on the first team, the next game, training, analysis etc. However the scouts will be working at least indirectly based on his instructions, Levy and/or Sherwood will be doing stuff alongside the head scout and of course when there's a bit of time like now when there's an international break I would expect AVB to be planning for the summer.

I would say almost certainly that's the case.

Of course when we're playing two games a week AVB will focus almost entirely on the first team, the next game, training, analysis etc. However the scouts will be working at least indirectly based on his instructions, Levy and/or Sherwood will be doing stuff alongside the head scout and of course when there's a bit of time like now when there's an international break I would expect AVB to be planning for the summer.

Exactly.

So, considering the likes of Higuain and Moutinho are the names being mentioned, what on Earth could Levy do in the middle of March to start laying the ground for a move? We know that we can't just buy anyone; at this stage, our team will only improve with genuinely good players. These players will not come to a non-CL club. Therefore, what exactly would be gained by bigging up our prospects of CL to them (or their agents) in mid-March? After we've just suffered a loss against fudging Fulham?

There is nothing to be gained in distracting ourselves with targets until AFTER we know how this season goes.

we are 16 points away from the 70-point mark, and just two ahead of Arsenal. we have just suffered two losses back-to-back. We have nine difficult games left to play. This is not the time to plan for the fudging summer.

Really?

Do you think AVB and Levy are sitting around twiddling their thumbs and saying this?

I sure don't.

So, considering the likes of Higuain and Moutinho are the names being mentioned, what on Earth could Levy do in the middle of March to start laying the ground for a move? We know that we can't just buy anyone; at this stage, our team will only improve with genuinely good players. These players will not come to a non-CL club. Therefore, what exactly would be gained by bigging up our prospects of CL to them (or their agents) in mid-March? After we've just suffered a loss against fudging Fulham?

There is nothing to be gained in distracting ourselves with targets until AFTER we know how this season goes.

The names being mentioned in the press aren't necessarily relevant. There are other players that we could be lining up.

We managed to sign Modric ahead of a host of other clubs, both here and abroad, because we HAD obviously planned, well in advance of the summer, to do so. In fact, we were sufficiently advanced in our planning to have completed the signing nearly a month before the end of the season.

Likewise, it is perfectly obvious that plans to sign Dimitar Berbatov were at an advanced stage long before the end of the 2005-06 season, since the signing was announced only 10 days after the end of the season.

Two of our most successful, all time transfers. Planned well in advance of the end of the season. QED. It also happens to be the case that both signings came from out of the blue - completely unpredicted by press and itk alike.

"Planning" doesn't just mean making contact with players or their clubs. It can mean drawing up a list of first, second and third choice options; determining which positions are a priority; buying young players for the future; scouting; assessing a potential signing's qualities; and, yes, maybe also making contact with other clubs and the players we've targeted.

It would not, as you claim, distract the manager from his job.....for the simple reason that it is an integral element of the manager's job to be on top of such matters. The players have nothing to do with it, so there's no danger that they would be distracted.

Lastly, we don't know what motivates individual players. By all accounts, Moutinho was very keen to sign for Spurs back in the summer and would have done so but for a last minute hitch involving third party ownership. Champions League involvement wasn't an issue for him then. It won't necessarily be an issue for him in the summer. His respect for, and faith in, AVB could prove to be a more powerful incentive. We've signed some great players over the years without being a Champions League club. So we don't need to (and absolutely cannot afford to) wait until the summer before starting to plan for next season.

The names being mentioned in the press aren't necessarily relevant. There are other players that we could be lining up.

We managed to sign Modric ahead of a host of other clubs, both here and abroad, because we HAD obviously planned, well in advance of the summer, to do so. In fact, we were sufficiently advanced in our planning to have completed the signing nearly a month before the end of the season.

Likewise, it is perfectly obvious that plans to sign Dimitar Berbatov were at an advanced stage long before the end of the 2005-06 season, since the signing was announced only 10 days after the end of the season.

Two of our most successful, all time transfers. Planned well in advance of the end of the season. QED. It also happens to be the case that both signings came from out of the blue - completely unpredicted by press and itk alike.

"Planning" doesn't just mean making contact with players or their clubs. It can mean drawing up a list of first, second and third choice options; determining which positions are a priority; buying young players for the future; scouting; assessing a potential signing's qualities; and, yes, maybe also making contact with other clubs and the players we've targeted.

It would not, as you claim, distract the manager from his job.....for the simple reason that it is an integral element of the manager's job to be on top of such matters. The players have nothing to do with it, so there's no danger that they would be distracted.

Lastly, we don't know what motivates individual players. By all accounts, Moutinho was very keen to sign for Spurs back in the summer and would have done so but for a last minute hitch involving third party ownership. Champions League involvement wasn't an issue for him then. It won't necessarily be an issue for him in the summer. His respect for, and faith in, AVB could prove to be a more powerful incentive. We've signed some great players over the years without being a Champions League club. So we don't need to (and absolutely cannot afford to) wait until the summer before starting to plan for next season.

I agree entirely with th epost with the exception of the bolded sentences.

Without CL we may be able to afford Zamora but with CL we may be able to afford Cavani. The situation evolves and the transfer list will also as a result change.

What I am assuming though is there is a best and worst case scenario going on in the background. Best case we have 50m to spend and these are the players we want. Wrsot case is 20m and these are the players we want. There could be and certainly should be some kind of analysis along with the variables so that if we achieve something the money goes up and vice versa.

One thing is for certain though - our squad needs beefing up., We have an excellent first team (except a striker) but the back ups of key individuals such as a Dembele, a striker and a winger has proven costly already.

Archibald re: Luke Shaw

in the driving seat on this one

I've thought for a while that there was a fair chance that we'd sell Benny this summer. I rate him more than many on here but I think that this is probably the point where we can maximise our return on him.

If Southampton stay up i reckon he would stay as he'd get first team football there. Though i thought he would be more likely to leave with Adkins gone.

Would want, would take some convincing to make me think it was likely though.

Rumoured to be £15m in the media. I have not watched him enough to rate him that highly yet though.

Signed extended contract this jan.

http://www.thefa.com/England/mens-u19s/News/2013/luke-shaw-signs-new-deal-at-southampton-100113

And by all accounts is a Chelsea fan.

Shaw was answering questions from fans on the social networking site and asked if he was a Chelsea fan replied: '#championsofeurope yes I am'.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/fo...e-Shaw-reveals-Chelsea-fan.html#ixzz2O7EZDIBU

Last edited:
As he's a Chelsea fan and we're rumoured to be interested, cue Roman to buy him for £20 mil, then loan him out somewhere for the next five years.

Can't see this happening anytime soon......if at all.

Southampton are no longer a team that needs to sell players. They'll avoid relegation comfortably enough, I think, and the new manager looks as though he could make them into a very useful unit next season - especially since there's plenty of money behind the club.

So Shaw (who, only two months ago, committed himself to Saints for another five years) will have no reason to go anywhere for a while. He's already at the perfect club for his development.

Would we not be more likely to sell Rose and bring Shaw in as understudy?

Possibly but I've got a feeling that Benny isn't an AVB type of player and that we could get a decent price for him this summer but that his price would be decreasing pretty sharply after that. It just seems like an opportune time to part company.

Possibly but I've got a feeling that Benny isn't an AVB type of player and that we could get a decent price for him this summer but that his price would be decreasing pretty sharply after that. It just seems like an opportune time to part company.

There always PSG. Or maybe the next financially doped club, looking for a quick way to the next level and no regards for age or actual value.

Back