• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Victor Wanyama

Our DM was probably our best player. Died had one of his best games for me.
I don't deny that but what we need is more than a dm. I thought Bentaleb was woeful . Sideways or backward passes no drive no creativity.. It's someone in his position we need as well

Well we missed the boat on that... our exhalted recruit department didn;t think Cabaye was good enough for us - now see what he has done to Palace's midfield!!!! :mad:

It's an interesting one.

On the few occasions I've seen Cabaye, he's never struck me as a defensive midfielder. Is that fair?

On that basis, I think it was the correct decision to not pursue him, as we very much need someone predominantly defensive minded - and we already have Bentaleb and Mason who can sit alongside a DM and are both good, developing players.

It's an interesting one.

On the few occasions I've seen Cabaye, he's never struck me as a defensive midfielder. Is that fair?

On that basis, I think it was the correct decision to not pursue him, as we very much need someone predominantly defensive minded - and we already have Bentaleb and Mason who can sit alongside a DM and are both good, developing players.

He always looks seconds away from a booking to me. In that position you must have controlled aggression not headless chicken mode.

It's an interesting one.

The post was that we needed another Modric, not a Wanyama. And Cabaye would have be the answer for that.

I think we need one of each. Yes Dier was great, but with his age he is likely to be extremely inconsistent, plus we need depth. I would trust Alli for the other role, but again, so young. But that leaves us with a lot of midfidlers. Get a DM in, Dier as back up, Bentaleb, mason and Alli for the other spot.

The post was that we needed another Modric, not a Wanyama. And Cabaye would have be the answer for that.

I'm surprised - in my mind, we need a very strong defensive presence in the middle, as a priority, rather than a Modric type.

Would, in your opinion, a Cabaye and Mason/Bentaleb partnership be defensively strong enough or would we then need to buy another midfielder as well?

Obviously, this is as well as a new striker and two new wingers etc.

Well we missed the boat on that... our exhalted recruit department didn;t think Cabaye was good enough for us - now see what he has done to Palace's midfield!!!! :mad:
I like Cabaye, but there's a massive range of ability that's able to do wonders for Palace's midfield whilst still not being good enough for a starting spot with us.

because he's a better central midfielder. box to box destroyer. something we need next to dier.

thats way too generic i feel, especially as they have skill sets that are distinctly different

wanyama cant, or at least i havent seen him, do what bentaleb can do.

plus..a box to box anything needs to be a scoring threat...which wanyama is not...not even a little bit on average

i honestly dont understand how you can compare those two together.

And i have to be honest...bentaleb for me has more in his locker than Wanyama....i feel what the latter has is size and a domineering physical presence.

if bentaleb was part of package for instance for us to get wanyama then i would say they can keep wanyama

thats way too generic i feel, especially as they have skill sets that are distinctly different

wanyama cant, or at least i havent seen him, do what bentaleb can do.

plus..a box to box anything needs to be a scoring threat...which wanyama is not...not even a little bit on average

i honestly dont understand how you can compare those two together.

And i have to be honest...bentaleb for me has more in his locker than Wanyama....i feel what the latter has is size and a domineering physical presence.

if bentaleb was part of package for instance for us to get wanyama then i would say they can keep wanyama
Bentaleb just keeps things ticking over . Does nothing with ball except pass ball to walker and rose or sideways passes .. What we need is a player who sees forward passes , who can play between lines and doninate play .. What did he do yesterday in all fairness , can't remember one single thing .. Not picking him out but it's such vital area of pitch in any game and top teams needs a real player in their . He is far from top player and won't get us top 4.. The whole concept of a dm is to help back 4 and pass the pall keep it simple and pass the ball to more creative players , what does Bentaleb do ???? He does the same as the dm !!!

Bentaleb just keeps things ticking over . Does nothing with ball except pass ball to walker and rose or sideways passes .. What we need is a player who sees forward passes , who can play between lines and doninate play .. What did he do yesterday in all fairness , can't remember one single thing .. Not picking him out but it's such vital area of pitch in any game and top teams needs a real player in their . He is far from top player and won't get us top 4.. The whole concept of a dm is to help back 4 and pass the pall keep it simple and pass the ball to more creative players , what does Bentaleb do ???? He does the same as the dm !!!

thats fair enough, but for me i dont agree with that at all...i'll look for his stats but for the time being i personally saw

the numerous interceptions
positional awareness but in occupying space on the defensive and offensive end
his 2 shots on goal
loads off times he didnt pass the ball side ways or back but rather in an incisive progressive manner
his composure on the ball , (something that if i am honest very few people realise the importance off)...
an eagerness and willingness to receive the ball and make plays

Another problem is that you see bentaleb as simply a dm , he is more than that IMO. he is the best ball recylcling mid that we have on our books that naturally plays a deeper position.

but like you said..you yourself didnt see any of this which explains why you think he does nothing.....were you here during the infamous thread "carrick, what does he do?"...your post reminds me of the guy that started that thread

edit:- wanyama is actually thr guy that is going to do what you are criticising bentaleb for...

"a real player?" i dont know what that means...its too vague for me personally. it sounds like you are talking about size and physical appearance. And i am not even sure how you can say bentaleb wont get us top 4. its not solely down to him to get us top 4 and even if it was his role to do it alone ,...wanyama hasnt got any unique skill that we can identify that will get us top 4 on his own either

getting the ball to the creative players is actually incredibly hard...its REALLY hard,.,....and for me ironically its that skill that i feel bentaleb has over wanyama

do you have any proof that wanyama can do it? ie. get a ball and recyle it to the right people significantly faster than bentaleb? can he make incisive progressive passes all the time? is he the one thats going to split the ball through the midfield to the transitioning attacking players with excellent weight on theball and vision? or even to their feet nice and early so that they have time and space to operate?

in short, when on The Lord's green earth did wanyama become a deep lying playmaker? or even DM with an excellent short range passing game?

Last edited:
It was very obvious that after the fudge up at Man U and poor display last week bentaleb was not trying anything to ambitious.
He can and set up some very good chances. Cough-arsenal-cough

I suspect the truth is somewhere in between here - a duo of Wanyama and Bentaleb would be pretty good.

It's a defensively solid duo, reasonably comfortable on the ball, with a reasonable ability to get the ball forward. That's a decent start.

Wanyama, of course, could be better on the ball. Bentaleb, of course, needs to do a little more forward thinking - reality is, we're Spurs, we're not going to get players that tick every box.

Wanyama may not be 'great' on the ball but you'd have to think he does well enough seeings as Poch had him for a year at Southampton and is looking to bring him here (presumably that's the case) and would be well
aware of his pro's and con's...think you could pair him with any of our current crop of CMs who all seem more in the box to box mould

Back