• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Transfer Rumour Thread

There was some comment from poch in the papers over the weekend saying that we would be an attractive club both for young players as well as top class players. The way he mentioned the latter made it sound like he had something in mind....

Personally I hope we either sign an up and coming CF, like Berahino, who wouldn't have a problem if Kane was ahead of him in the pecking order, or a more experienced / low-key CF who has played at a huge club, such as that Depoitre guy we've been linked with. Sounds odd to say it but signing a bigger name would be a lot more risky, mainly from a squad morale perspective

There was some comment from poch in the papers over the weekend saying that we would be an attractive club both for young players as well as top class players. The way he mentioned the latter made it sound like he had something in mind....

Personally I hope we either sign an up and coming CF, like Berahino, who wouldn't have a problem if Kane was ahead of him in the pecking order, or a more experienced / low-key CF who has played at a huge club, such as that Depoitre guy we've been linked with. Sounds odd to say it but signing a bigger name would be a lot more risky, mainly from a squad morale perspective

I think Austin in January would be ideal. English, 26 yrs old, has experience of the league and has scored goals. I really think signing him and maybe a younger forward like Dembele at Fulham would give us a massive push going into the last part of the season. We have enough depth elsewhere tbh.

I think Austin in January would be ideal. English, 26 yrs old, has experience of the league and has scored goals. I really think signing him and maybe a younger forward like Dembele at Fulham would give us a massive push going into the last part of the season. We have enough depth elsewhere tbh.

Austin and Dembele could be a great fit and not cost much money in the grand scheme of things

Austin and Dembele could be a great fit and not cost much money in the grand scheme of things

Right, but between Austin and Depoitre, who'd cost more? And who'd be happier sitting on the bench behind Harry Kane: a relatively low-profile Belgian player (who might be able to get into the national side despite Kane's permanent presence as first-choice), or another Englishman who knows that his only chance of getting into the England side is to play in lieu of Kane?

Right, but between Austin and Depoitre, who'd cost more? And who'd be happier sitting on the bench behind Harry Kane: a relatively low-profile Belgian player (who might be able to get into the national side despite Kane's permanent presence as first-choice), or another Englishman who knows that his only chance of getting into the England side is to play in lieu of Kane?

Depoitre is getting good reviews but may feel he can start regular for Belgium with games

Austin will see it as a step up and stay in London

Both have pros and cons

I like the look of Dembele as a young option

Berahino would get my vote; young, versatile and wouldn't have a problem playing back-up to Kane, but would also push him. Additionally, he's PL-ready so we're covered in the event Kane picks up a season-ending injury on Feb 1st

Depoitre is getting good reviews but may feel he can start regular for Belgium with games

Austin will see it as a step up and stay in London

Both have pros and cons

I like the look of Dembele as a young option

Yeah, Dembele might be a wild-card we could use, and perhaps Austin might come in January and be happy with a supporting role for Kane, who knows: if they're both happy to come, then I'd definitely prefer Austin, since he's been here and done it in the Prem, and he knows what it's like. But I hope the management and (mrrrhm) Levy see that we do need someone decent: I think they do, given their pursuit of Berahino even after signing Son, but one can never be sure given our recent history in January.

Berahino would get my vote; young, versatile and wouldn't have a problem playing back-up to Kane, but would also push him. Additionally, he's PL-ready so we're covered in the event Kane picks up a season-ending injury on Feb 1st
And we are interested (or were).

I haven't really seen a whole lot of West Brom this season. How is he performing?

And we are interested (or were).

I haven't really seen a whole lot of West Brom this season. How is he performing?

West Brom fans on their forum (westbrom.com, I think it was) seemed very ready to let him go in January: when I checked last week, they were bemoaning Peace's stupidity in not accepting the last-minute offer we made, bashing Berahino for playing lazily and looking disinterested, and jumping on Pulis' statements about Berahino being overweight after the saga (they think he still is, although honestly I can't tell, having watched him a bit against United). The sentiment seemed to be that they'd be lucky to get anything close to what we offered in January.

The one thing I would say about this is that cost shouldn't, within reason anyway, dictate who we sign out of Depoitre/Austin. Personally, I know nothing about the Belgian but we do know that barring something bizarre occurring, Austin would fit in and settle very, very quickly here or at least the chances heavily stack in that favour. They wanted £15m in August but lets face it, they aren't going up and will have 4 months left and receive nothing whereas we would probably offer £6-8m which is probably about right and to me that would be great value.

Haven't seen much of Dembele at Fulham but would trust the scouting if we bought him. I would do what we did with Alli and loan him back to Fulham before joining up fresh in the summer. Not a massive outlay in January overall, Maybe an initial £12-15m covering both signings. We could break virtually even by selling Townsend thus carrying on the work of clearing out those unfit for the managers purpose whilst rebalancing the squad with a minimal net spend, if any.

West Brom fans on their forum (westbrom.com, I think it was) seemed very ready to let him go in January: when I checked last week, they were bemoaning Peace's stupidity in not accepting the last-minute offer we made, bashing Berahino for playing lazily and looking disinterested, and jumping on Pulis' statements about Berahino being overweight after the saga (they think he still is, although honestly I can't tell, having watched him a bit against United). The sentiment seemed to be that they'd be lucky to get anything close to what we offered in January.
Well that all sounds like Berahinho is on a bit of a go slow. We'll surely go in with a lower offer in Jan (in true Levyesque fashion) so it sounds like our negotiating position has been strengthened somewhat.

The one thing I would say about this is that cost shouldn't, within reason anyway, dictate who we sign out of Depoitre/Austin. Personally, I know nothing about the Belgian but we do know that barring something bizarre occurring, Austin would fit in and settle very, very quickly here or at least the chances heavily stack in that favour. They wanted £15m in August but lets face it, they aren't going up and will have 4 months left and receive nothing whereas we would probably offer £6-8m which is probably about right and to me that would be great value.

Haven't seen much of Dembele at Fulham but would trust the scouting if we bought him. I would do what we did with Alli and loan him back to Fulham before joining up fresh in the summer. Not a massive outlay in January overall, Maybe an initial £12-15m covering both signings. We could break virtually even by selling Townsend thus carrying on the work of clearing out those unfit for the managers purpose whilst rebalancing the squad with a minimal net spend, if any.

Sure, that works. Like I said, if they're both happy to come, then go for Austin, definitely: he knows the league, and he's scored at Kane-esque levels in the league before. But risking a bit of disharmony by having Austin (for example) grumbling about being second-fiddle to Kane and thus not getting into the England side that Kane's already in...not sure if that's the best thing to do given the chemistry we presently possess.

We won't spend anything beyond what we make in January, but I agree that we could still get the cover we need without going into the red spending-wise: we might need to shift Townsend, but that doesn't leave us short of cover in the area he's vacating anyway.

Well that all sounds like Berahinho is on a bit of a go slow. We'll surely go in with a lower offer in Jan (in true Levyesque fashion) so it sounds like our negotiating position has been strengthened somewhat.

I'm not sure we would pay big money for Berahino in January but you never know. Berahino in January with Austin on a 'unofficial' pre contract to arrive for free in the summer would be perfect.

Well, we are dealing with Jeremy Peace here: as Alfred put it in The Dark Knight, some fellows just like to witness the world go up in pyrotechnics and ash. :p

Back