• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Transfer Rumour Thread

It's similar to suggesting Rogers or Lambert or whoever's managed a few wins against Wigan and Bolton in a Championship side this season

It's similar to suggesting Rogers or Lambert or whoever's managed a few wins against Wigan and Bolton in a Championship side this season

but you like AVB who took last seasons 2nd place Chelsea, double winners from 2 seasons ago also, to being a team outside the top 4 for the first time in recent memory

i need to know, is it the deep gravelly voice, the trench coat tied tightly round the waist, the constant sideways squatting on the touchline, the ginger hair, the refusal to shave, what really impresses you about AVB?:)

but you like AVB who took last seasons 2nd place Chelsea, double winners from 2 seasons ago also, to being a team outside the top 4 for the first time in recent memory

i need to know, is it the deep gravelly voice, the trench coat tied tightly round the waist, the constant sideways squatting on the touchline, the ginger hair, the refusal to shave, what really impresses you about AVB?:)

I personally didnt notice any of that, you seem to know quite a bit about him.

Sounds like you want to fcuk him :D

What on earth is a gravelly voice anyway? Springsteen?

He was given around 3 and a half hours to carry out their first major transition since the lotto win while the old guard watched him like eagles from the shadows dressed in blazers and smoking cigars, waiting to strike at every opportunity

I personally didnt notice any of that, you seem to know quite a bit about him.

well the football his team was serving up wasnt that impressive so i started to look for what is so amazing and unique about AVB

he is quite a character, in a Monty Python kind of way

Moyes is not the way forward for our club, at this stage of our development. By the way, where did the Lescott money go? I hear they pay wages from loaned money. This is things that the manager has a part in.

Opinion is opinion but no one has any facts to back these kinds of comments up.

Based on theories along these lines would Wenger have ever got the job at Arsenal? Managing in Japan and turning out to be one of the most succesful managers in Arsenals history. I am not saying he should or he shouldnt because that day has not come, but you could mount a strong argument of there being more reasons for Moyes to get the Spurs job than there was for Wenger to get the Arsenal job.

Although we would feel 100% more comfortable taking on a manager with a massively successful past there is never any guarentees it would work. some of the best managers in the world have taken over some of the best club sides in the world and failed, whilst on the flip side you have managers that were plucked from virtual obscurity and failed pasts who have worked wonders.

Look at Rodgers and Holloway, both sacked from previous jobs and both found a right fit in their current clubs.....

I want the most qualified man for the job don't get me wrong but no manager guarentees success and the likelyhood of a Mourinho coming to Spurs is slim. Would Moyes be the worst manager for the job, I don't think so personally....

Last edited:
Sounds like you want to fcuk him :D

What on earth is a gravelly voice anyway? Springsteen?

He was given around 3 and a half hours to carry out their first major transition since the lotto win while the old guard watched him like eagles from the shadows dressed in blazers and smoking cigars, waiting to strike at every opportunity

have sexual relations with him? nah, he is a bit short and scrawny for me. I like 'em tall and muscular tbf. Plus im not a fan of beards

Springsteen and gravelly, yep that is along the lines. Sometimes AVB's voice would go so low and croaky that i couldnt understand a word of his post match interviews. Have to say though he has a very good grasp of the Queen's English. This most definitely is a plus point over another brick hot foreign coach who came to these shores, this time at Spurs, and didnt quite live up to expectations Where is Juande these days by the way?

The old guard at the lotto winners? i think they had a good time under AVB. Certainly invented a few good games. The one where they would wait until the last seconds before piling into the training ground car park just on time, under the nose of the on looking AVB, was quite ingenious. Maybe if AVB wasnt so anal about the rules, timekeeping, the players would have been a bit more responsive. Who knows

where is AVB these days by the way? Awfully quiet is our Portuguese friend? Hope his voice in ok

It would be similar if people suggest these guys BECAUSE they managed a few wins over Wigan and Bolton.

However, if someone suggests these guys (or anyone else) because they believe in their management ability and potential then you do them a disservice

Look at Rodgers and Holloway, both sacked from previous jobs and both found a right fit in their current clubs.....

I want the most qualified man for the job don't get me wrong but no manager guarentees success and the likelyhood of a Mourinho coming to Spurs is slim. Would Moyes be the worst manager for the job, I don't think so personally....

Fitting the club is mostly the basis on which I believe Moyes would not do well with us at all.

And, funnily enough, is the basis for me to think Rodgers would be a better appointment than Moyes.

I have other points with Moyes, but the main crux of my not wanting him is that he just wouldnt work here. His playing style wouldnt be accepted at all.

It would be similar if people suggest these guys BECAUSE they managed a few wins over Wigan and Bolton.

However, if someone suggests these guys (or anyone else) because they believe in their management ability and potential then you do them a disservice

I find it weird why some may suggest rogers for example who has won fudge all apart from a couple of decent no pressure games in the prem over a manager that has won a top tier title in his league, a european trophy, super cup and domestic cup (thanks google) in AVB. He also went around 30 games unbeaten with Porto. Allardyce won a few games in the prem too. I can understand flavours of the month, cause England loves it, but ffs be realistic with targets.

Bringing out the C.V's :rolleyes:

What's Harry won? One FA Cup in 30 years? So what? Winning the league with Porto is hardly a massive achievement, you think AVB could've done as good a job as what Rodgers is doing at Swansea? So basically, whoever's at the top is doing the best job. Mancini is the 2nd best manager in England because Emirates Marketing Project are 2nd. AVB's better than Rodgers because Chelsea are 5th and Swansea are 8th. Forget context, it's just as simple as looking at the league table and basing your opinion solely on that.

I find it weird why some may suggest rogers for example who has won fudge all apart from a couple of decent no pressure games in the prem over a manager that has won a top tier title in his league, a european trophy, super cup and domestic cup (thanks google) in AVB. He also went around 30 games unbeaten with Porto. Allardyce won a few games in the prem too. I can understand flavours of the month, cause England loves it, but ffs be realistic with targets.

What is unrealistic about Rodgers (in this scenario)?

Success is relative. Just because he hasnt won trophies does not mean he hasnt been successfull.

Much to Arcspaces annoyance I compared the Portuguese league to the SPL. While I accept it is a better quality, I stand by the fact that only a small number of teams actually compete in it - and winning with Porto is akin to winning the SPL with Celtic.

Getting Swansea into the premier league is a tremendous achievement. To then go on and have them comfortably top half is also a great achievement. The best of all though is that he has done that without playing like Moyes, like Allardyce, but by playing a fabulous style of football.

AVB on the other hand, went from the richest team on one league, to the second richest in another, with a star studded squad, and couldnt get them to play their way out of a wet paper bag.

So why is AVB the better candidate?

What I like about Rodgers is that he has a clear and exciting phylosophy. I know that if he took over at Spurs he would have us trying to play like Barcelona. If he took over, despite relative his lack of experience I would find it a very exciting time. If the players took to him it could be brilliant.

He has experience at Chelsea under Mourinho, knows how the master works and also what life is like with big egos and players. He was sacked at Reading, a learning experience I am sure. He spent years travelling to watch and learn from better teams. So much time spent at Barcelona that he learnt SPanish fluently. He has now taken a low budget, unfancied team and got them to play excellent and winning football.

I think at this point he has shown enough to suggest he is an exciting manager with something about him.

AVB was fantastically successful with Porto, firstly well done but it was with Porto in Portugal, secondly he has shown so far he cannot translate that to England.

Of the two, right now I would choose Rodgers to manage Spurs.

Of Lambert/AVB, I would probably go AVB

Of Moyes/AVB I would be torn, but lean toward AVB

Its not as simple as tarnishing someone as only wanting flavour of the month managers.

i see you like a bit of the foreign

ok, for your AVB, i raise you Fatih Terim

4 times in a row winner of the Turkish Super League with Galatasaray...in 1999-2000, his Gala team won the League, the cup, and the Uefa cup, beating the scum Arsenal in the final.

from wiki... In the summer of 2001, he was named the coach of AC Milan turning down offers from other clubs like Barcelona and Liverpool. Immediately he signed Rui Costa, ?£mit Davala and Filippo Inzaghi to the club. He transformed Milan's system, playing with a system very similar to the Total football style of Rinus Michels, playing a 4-3-1-2 with Rui Costa as the key player.

took Turkey to the semi finals of Euro 2008. Yes little ol' Turkey, they were known as the comeback kings in that tournament

so how about it, are you tempted by a little bit of Fatih?

What is unrealistic about Rodgers (in this scenario)?

Success is relative. Just because he hasnt won trophies does not mean he hasnt been successfull.

Much to Arcspaces annoyance I compared the Portuguese league to the SPL. While I accept it is a better quality, I stand by the fact that only a small number of teams actually compete in it - and winning with Porto is akin to winning the SPL with Celtic.

Getting Swansea into the premier league is a tremendous achievement. To then go on and have them comfortably top half is also a great achievement. The best of all though is that he has done that without playing like Moyes, like Allardyce, but by playing a fabulous style of football.

AVB on the other hand, went from the richest team on one league, to the second richest in another, with a star studded squad, and couldnt get them to play their way out of a wet paper bag.

So why is AVB the better candidate?

What I like about Rodgers is that he has a clear and exciting phylosophy. I know that if he took over at Spurs he would have us trying to play like Barcelona. If he took over, despite relative his lack of experience I would find it a very exciting time. If the players took to him it could be brilliant.

He has experience at Chelsea under Mourinho, knows how the master works and also what life is like with big egos and players. He was sacked at Reading, a learning experience I am sure. He spent years travelling to watch and learn from better teams. So much time spent at Barcelona that he learnt SPanish fluently. He has now taken a low budget, unfancied team and got them to play excellent and winning football.

I think at this point he has shown enough to suggest he is an exciting manager with something about him.

AVB was fantastically successful with Porto, firstly well done but it was with Porto in Portugal, secondly he has shown so far he cannot translate that to England.

Of the two, right now I would choose Rodgers to manage Spurs.

Of Lambert/AVB, I would probably go AVB

Of Moyes/AVB I would be torn, but lean toward AVB

Its not as simple as tarnishing someone as only wanting flavour of the month managers.

I was absolutely aghast at the thought of Rodgers when the idea was first mooted, but excellent posts like this are starting to change my mind. Or at least making me more open to the idea. There is definitely the element of an exciting punt about it.

My huge fear of course is "second season" syndrome. We've seen it so, so, so many times with players and managers that it scares the crap out of me. Also, Spurs is a bigger job than it was 5 years ago. If we were consistently finishing 6th - 9th as we did for so many years, I'd be much sweeter on the idea of Rodgers. But we're a Champions League level club now. That makes the step up from Swansea that much bigger. Aston Villa are the type of club who should break the bank for Rodgers. He would turn the entire mood there around. But Spurs in 2012? It's not so certain.

I have to say I find myself pining for Ancelotti more and more. It's not going to happen but it's annoying that the timing was just a bit off, because I think he'd have come and I think he'd have been perfect.

I was absolutely aghast at the thought of Rodgers when the idea was first mooted, but excellent posts like this are starting to change my mind. Or at least making me more open to the idea. There is definitely the element of an exciting punt about it.

My huge fear of course is "second season" syndrome. We've seen it so, so, so many times with players and managers that it scares the crap out of me. Also, Spurs is a bigger job than it was 5 years ago. If we were consistently finishing 6th - 9th as we did for so many years, I'd be much sweeter on the idea of Rodgers. But we're a Champions League level club now. That makes the step up from Swansea that much bigger. Aston Villa are the type of club who should break the bank for Rodgers. He would turn the entire mood there around. But Spurs in 2012? It's not so certain.

I have to say I find myself pining for Ancelotti more and more. It's not going to happen but it's annoying that the timing was just a bit off, because I think he'd have come and I think he'd have been perfect.

I'm with Chancer on this... I guess if you look back in time, Man U were taking a bit of a punt on Ferguson... he had won the Cup winners Cup at Aberdeen, but was still a bit of an unknown quantity, and there were questions at the time as to whether some success in Scotland (admittedly knocking Rangers and Celtic off their perches for a couple of seasons) could be replicated at United... and look how he turned out. I like the style of football that Swansea play, and there is something Tottenhamesque about their style. My biggest concern is whether he could handle big time charlie egos... and they are bubbling below the surface at Spurs

Im not a huge advocate of Rodgers, its not like he is my first choice, but I wouldnt be against it at all.

To dare is to do, and all that.

If he went to a club that embraced a stylish and attacking brand of football, that had high calibre players and a budget to allow him to buy in top talent I genuinely think he could be a sensation.

The things with Swansea that I like are all things I would love here. They have a complete system of play, the team moves and flexes as one. Over Christmas he changed 6 players between games 2 days apart, won the both, in the same style, with the same quality. They were THAT organised. Everytime I watch them I think "Imagine what he could do with Bale, VDV, Modric, Adebayor..."

They work HARD. He accepts they arent tacklers, so instead they mark channels and intercept. They chase and harry all over the field.

They are patient. Did you see their second against Fulham last week? The ball went back to front back to defence back to front again until they got the opening and scored. There was also another section of play where for a full 90+ seconds they just kept the ball and Fulham couldnt get near it.

They are so composed under pressure. Never panic, always technique first.

Rodgers never takes the credit, he tells you its all about the players and that the success is only because they share his ideas and learn from him. He was on Goals on Sunday this week, from the little I saw he came across as though he was in awe of the players.

He is so engaging, and interesting, I certainly wouldnt be against him taking the job on. I think if (probably a big if) the players bought into his ideas it could be sensational.

I don't think we have any real big egos in the squad, and if we did then Rodgers is about building a team, not just around a couple of players. I just think this is our chance to go long term and get in place a manager for potentially the next 10-15-20 years. He's shown what he can do whilst working under a budget, something we may have to consider with the new stadium still on the way. The combination of him and the new training ground is perfect, his whole ethos is built around coaching and working with younger players, we might actually develop one or two of our own for once. I can definitely see the appeal as a young player to choose Spurs with Rodgers and his coaching staff at a state of the art training ground.

I really don't want a quick fix 2/3 year stint manager given the job, that's not what Spurs should be about.

Back