• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Transfer Rumour Thread

One more thing Arcspace: One of the players you keep mentioning is Hoilett, yet you say "Why not instead go and buy 1 great player than 3 average ones?" Hoilett would be on a (probably small) tribunal fee in the summer and probably cost around one tenth of what a great player would cost.

One more thing Arcspace: One of the players you keep mentioning is Hoilett, yet you say "Why not instead go and buy 1 great player than 3 average ones?" Hoilett would be on a (probably small) tribunal fee in the summer and probably cost around one tenth of what a great player would cost.

And also probably have a tenth of the impact a great player would.

There is no way Levy would spend money on two RWs so it would have to be Hoilett or Hazard. If the latter is not available then we need to seek other options instead of going for the easy way out, imv

Last edited:
We have gotten to where we are by being shrewd in the transfer market. Not by just buying big name players or making statements.

Sorry - but many on here (including myself) feel last January (2011) we blew a massive opportunity to consolidate our position and push for a consecutive top 4 finish instead of imploding and missing out while being laughed at for placing 35m+ bids for playes on dead-line day. Zero structured approach in place whatsoever. So if that is what shrewd means that I'd rather give it a skip.

And also probably have a tenth of the impact a great player would.

You don't see value in adding another quick winger to our squad so that we can keep a similar shape if Lennon is injured instead of reshuffling the team. He can also cover for VdV and to some extent Bale I think. We will need more players ready for first team action next season. And he's young and can still develop (same age as Walker). And the risk is very low.

Sure, buying a top class superstar to our team would be better, but those players aren't always available. Look at Liverpool, with a ton of money available last summer to find wingers/wide players to feed Carroll they ended up buying Downing and Henderson. And they have someone connected who should know the market in charge.

I also don't get why you think Bentley or Gio would be better. Bentley did get games, he was dropped because he didn't perform. He then got games on loan and again failed to get games. Gio got games, failed to perform. He even got chances this fall in the EL and looked poor again. Why would they be as good as Hoilett?

Milos Krasic's agent believes the Juventus winger will leave the Serie A outfit this summer.

Tottenham targeted a loan move for the wide man on deadline day in the January transfer window, but the Serbian favoured a permanent deal.

He hasn't played a single game since the transfer window closed. Best desicion of his life.

Gio got games, failed to perform. He even got chances this fall in the EL and looked poor again. Why would they be as good as Hoilett?

Must have missed that - in the few cup games I watched earlier this season he looked lively and involved in most dangerous play upfront. The positions Hoilett could cover as mentioned above - can well be done by Gio if given a chance. Hoilett plays every week and is full of confidence - give Gio 5 consecutieve games and let's judge on a fair platform

I think that Gio could perform if given a chance in our first team but also that Hoillet would make a really really good signing. So I guess I disagree with both of you Brain and Arcy \o/

Sorry - but many on here (including myself) feel last January (2011) we blew a massive opportunity to consolidate our position and push for a consecutive top 4 finish instead of imploding and missing out while being laughed at for placing 35m+ bids for playes on dead-line day. Zero structured approach in place whatsoever. So if that is what shrewd means that I'd rather give it a skip.

And I agree, if those players are available we need to go for them, but what players were available to sign that would instantly impact our first team? Chelsea ended up signing Luiz and Torres for 70 million. Again the example with Liverpool this season, last summer Wenger needed a wide man and he has a decent reputation, he ended up signing Gervinho - who I don't think would have been in our first team right now. Ancelotti (another one with a good reputation) had money available, needed players to replace the then fading Cole and Malouda, who did he find?

It's not as easy as just spending 20-25 million on a player and have him work out. A big investment for us carries a great deal of risk with it. Rebrov set us back years and a similarly ineffective signing could have the exact same effect now, rather than consolidate we could end up falling. Many teams could be mentioned as examples of exactly this happening. That risk means that we have to be very certain that the player we sign is the right man for the job before spending. I think we will spend if that right player is available, but if he's not - and even if he is, I want us to continue doing clever business in the transfer market to make sure we maximize our chances of still being in a good position a couple of years down the line regardless of how those big money transfers turn out.

Or in short, yes to Hazard, but also yes to Hoilett or someone similar.

I think that Gio could perform if given a chance in our first team but also that Hoillet would make a really really good signing. So I guess I disagree with both of you Brain and Arcy \o/

Gio is the most one footed player in our squad. He will never make it on the right of a 4-4-2 or 4-4-1-1. He isn't quick enough, or a good enough crosser to play as a left winger. He is nowhere near VdVs standard as a central attacking midfielder and probably not even as good as Kranjcar, or as good an option as going 4-4-2 with Defoe or Saha. He is a decent, maybe even good player, but he's severely limited. Only if we played a different formation/system he could be alright, but even then he wouldn't be good enough to hold a first team spot. Not going to happen.

rather than consolidate we could end up falling

In conclusion (as there is very little to debate forward from here without being repetative)

Glass half empty/full mentaility

We can use this justification every window to make ourselves either feel better or demand better transfer structure

Gio is the most one footed player in our squad. He will never make it on the right of a 4-4-2 or 4-4-1-1. He isn't quick enough, or a good enough crosser to play as a left winger. He is nowhere near VdVs standard as a central attacking midfielder and probably not even as good as Kranjcar, or as good an option as going 4-4-2 with Defoe or Saha. He is a decent, maybe even good player, but he's severely limited. Only if we played a different formation/system he could be alright, but even then he wouldn't be good enough to hold a first team spot. Not going to happen.

You've kust described Holiett above bar the lack of match-fitness and confidence. Potato. Potatoe

I don't play FM, so spare me that one, pal

The 2 players being mentioned right now are no better than Bentley and Gio were prior to us signing them. In fact - Bentley was one of the best right wingers in the Prem (on form) as opposed to some over-hyped players who are over-achieving in a Championship promoted team.

Have our current replacements even been given a chance? Those 2 would sit on the bench just like the current ones. Gio did well in his earlier cup runs. Certainly not worse than Hoilett for exampe.

So why should we go and buy 2 more of the same having just gone through a massive clean-out process ridding our wage-structure of squad players who are not good enough to compete in this squad. Why not instead go and buy 1 great player instead 3 average ones because that is exactly what those are? Why is that concept so alien and difficult to understand? Is brickgursson the type of signing to signal out there our current progress and send a message to all Hazards and Llorentes - come to Spurs, we're building for the future? We need to improve our starting 11 - we have a decent bench, bar 1-2 positions plus once we improve the first 11 - the current players would form a very strong bench. Simples really.

r.e. finances - We sold many, bought very little over the last 3 years and have the CL income in addition to that. We also bid massive fees (35m +) for players last January. These are all facts

You must have very modest expectations/aspirations for us as a club as far as our transfer dealings go (fair enough) but don't be surprised if there are fans out there who feel we can and should be attracting players better than Championship standard over-achievers. Our last few transfer windows have been shambles and those dead-line day bids were nearly embarassing. If anything - a more structured approach is needed as opposed to being linked with the latest clogger who looked good on the weekend

First off, I am not your "pal" as you call it so don't refer to me as that.

Your first paragraph shows to me that you are in actual fact an FM style fan/manager/chairman. By the sheer fact that you rated Bentley as one of the best right wingers (when he could never be a winger) says to me that you react to clammer, like those of the tabloids and lazy football journalists who link us with all and sundry.

Gio has had more than enough of a chance to sort his career out in the 4 years he has been here. Whether it be down to bad attitude, not being good enough, not able to settle...etc its all academic - he isn't suited to this country or this league and to my mind actually is not a particularly good player at all, Braindead would be my description in terms of his thought processes as a player.

The point and reasons I gave I believe demonstrate they are not just 2 more of the same players. You disagree which is fair enough but the manner and the way your are constructing your disagreement is displaying to me your understanding of our standing in the transfer market, finances and the need to keep all areas of our squad strong, not just the first 11 is limited and therefore poor.

I think it would be fair to say that no top class player we sign expects that every other signing we make is going to be at that level. Possibly there are 3-4 teams in the wolrd that can do that all factors considered and we are certainly not one of them.

And you can confirm them as all facts can you? You have the documentation to prove that we actually bid ?ú35m + for players last January? I think you mean it was widely reported and you have taken it as fact. Whilst also making a lot of money from the Champions League, we also payed out alot of money in bonuses as well which sent our wage budget soaring. That will also be the case for next season should we hold onto our position so its not just as simples as you think.

I don't have modest expectations, what I have is realistic expectations. I expect us to bid a big price for somebody like Llorente/Rossi/Hazard and I would be very disappointed if we didn't get a marquee signing in the summer and one that actually is in a position we need. But I also think we need to be bringing in people that enhance the squad at the same time as people who improve the 11 otherwise the back ups will never be of sufficient standard to just slot in when we need them.

Like with anything its about a balance and a mix, not this bull in a china shop way of bidding for everything over ?ú20m which is what I believe your advocating with your stance on this. Its about buying the right players not always the best or most expensive.

Have you ever witnessed Bale trying to shoot with his right foot? Oh, my bad...I don't think he has ever tried has he?

I have actually, he even scored a pretty decent goal with his right against Chelsea. His isn't great on his right, but still a lot better than Gio.

You've kust described Holiett above bar the lack of match-fitness and confidence. Potato. Potatoe

Hasn't Hoilett done quite well for Blackburn as a winger? Either way you seem to think that the type of signing he represents is the problem, this is where we disagree. I think looking for smart, good value purchases while also trying to find top quality players is the way to go. While you seem to think that looking for good value players will prevent us from signing top quality players. I don't understand why.

Agreed 100%.

If we aim to be serious title contenders and CL regulars, we have to be structured in our approach, we have to aim high, and we have to stop the ridiculous last-minute player hunt that we seem to have been doing for the past transfer windows. The theory is simple - identify which areas of the team needs strenghtening, find the best players available, and then try to seal the transfers as early as possible in the summer. If the best players don't want to come, we move on to the next ones on the list immediately. No more dingdonging around for months, before we sign Mr Average who is available for a cut price transfer on deadline day. It takes us nowhere.

Yes, it will be more expensive, but the plus sides outweighs that. Players brought in early will have a full pre season with the team, they will start the season knowing the system and their team mates, we can avoid months of fruitless speculation, and by securing top quality players at an early stage in the transfer window, we signal that we mean business and are ambitious - not least to our existing star players, like Bale and Modric, who will not want to stay at Spurs if the only players we buy are the likes of Pienaar and Falque.

In conclusion (as there is very little to debate forward from here without being repetative)

Glass half empty/full mentaility

We can use this justification every window to make ourselves either feel better or demand better transfer structure

Our transfer structure under Levy is what has brought us to where we are at the moment.

It's not a glass half empty/full thing at all. I will be super optimistic if we do sign someone like Hazard, and every transfer window I hope we do pull a top class signing out of the hat. But if that player isn't available, I'd rather we didn't blow 50 million pounds on players that aren't worth it rather than just sign someone big name to make a statement or take unnecessary risks.

Agreed 100%.

If we aim to be serious title contenders and CL regulars, we have to be structured in our approach, we have to aim high, and we have to stop the ridiculous last-minute player hunt that we seem to have been doing for the past transfer windows. The theory is simple - identify which areas of the team needs strenghtening, find the best players available, and then try to seal the transfers as early as possible in the summer. If the best players don't want to come, we move on to the next ones on the list immediately. No more dingdonging around for months, before we sign Mr Average who is available for a cut price transfer on deadline day. It takes us nowhere.

Yes, it will be more expensive, but the plus sides outweighs that. Players brought in early will have a full pre season with the team, they will start the season knowing the system and their team mates, we can avoid months of fruitless speculation, and by securing top quality players at an early stage in the transfer window, we signal that we mean business and are ambitious - not least to our existing star players, like Bale and Modric, who will not want to stay at Spurs if the only players we buy are the likes of Pienaar and Falque.

Last summer we signed Parker, Friedel and Ade (on loan), all have been very important players for us. Why only mention Falque?

I agree that getting players in earlier would be better if possible. But we can't compete with United, City and Chelsea in an all out transfer battle. We have to be smarter than them, we have to find better value signings. The extra cost they can easily absorb, we might not be able to absorb every season until we have a bigger stadium.

Agreed 100%.

We did miss a trick not getting someone in last January, I don't think you will find anyone that disagrees. However, we are not going to sign purely Hazard-esque type players all the time, its just not feasible. Those sorts of signings are made alongside prudent, thought out signings that offer us the best chance of depth within the squad to address all or most eventualities over a season.

I don't get where this conversation has gone, no one has mentioned enjoying bidding for squad players on the last day as a last resort as a good way of doing business. The debate has been over whether Hoilett on a free as an example is worthy signing for Spurs or just championship toilet as Arcespace said.

Last edited:
Last summer we signed Parker, Friedel and Ade (on loan), all have been very important players for us. Why only mention Falque?

I agree that getting players in earlier would be better if possible. But we can't compete with United, City and Chelsea in an all out transfer battle. We have to be smarter than them, we have to find better value signings. The extra cost they can easily absorb, we might not be able to absorb every season until we have a bigger stadium.

I mentioned him because, like Pienaar, he looks a completely pointless signing in terms of actually improving our team.

Last summer we signed Parker and Ade on deadline day (or thereabouts). Reportedly we wanted them all summer. Why didn't we seal them earlier? It could've made a big difference when we played the two Manchesters. That's the issue I have with those two signings.

In earlier seasons we have ended up with Raziak, the worst player I have ever seen play for Spurs, and Pav (decent enough) on deadline day. It probably saves us some money, but what did it do to the team? We knew Berbatov was leaving, and we knew we could make Manure pay brickloads for him, so why not seal a proper replacement earlier, instead of waiting until deadline day when everyone knew we were desparate and loaded with cash?

We have done good business on deadline day (VDV), but the problem for me is that we seem to rely on deadline day bargains instead of using a systematic approach to strengthen the team as early as possible. I don't think that strategy is good business in the long run, even if it saves us a few bucks in the short run.

And while the richer clubs compete at a whole different level than us, it doesn't stop us from trying to be systematic, to be smarter earlier, and to buy players that we need - when we need them. We know we can do it: Sandro came out of nowhere, Modric was sealed early (expensive, but worth every penny), Berbatov we also signed pretty early, if I remember correctly.

I, like everyone here, don't want us to be the next Leeds or Sheik City FC, but I feel there's a lot of improvement to make in our transfer strategy before we are anywhere near that.

Back