• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Transfer Rumour Thread

You are missing the fact that no one begrudges any player a move. Its about how you conduct yourself as a so called professional.

If we had Messi, I wouldnt blame him for wanting to join Barca.......but if he refused to play, Id think he was a complete c#nt, and I wouldnt want him here.

Absolutely.

It was the same with Campbell for me.

It wasn't the fact that he wanted to leave. No reasonable Spurs fan could have begrudged him the chance to win major trophies. He wasn't going to get that here. He was, to be blunt, too good for our team as it then was.

It was all about the manner of his leaving - only exacerbated by his choice of new club.

I agree. Let's face it, before the start of this season Spurs had just come 4th and then come 5th, whereas Chelsea had done the double and then been runners up. They were in the CL, we weren't. Chelsea have the backing of Abramovic and splash out ?ú50 million on the like of Torres, we have to live within much much stricter means.

I'm sure Modric will have loved the bumper wage increase too, but I think most people would look at the two clubs and think that the odds were much more in favour of Chelsea winning a major trophy before we did. To say that it was definitely only money that motivated Modric wanting to move to Chelsea is a bit silly really.

Yep.

It's easy to forget that we weren't considered to be anywhere near Chelsea's level before the season started.

Everybody knew that Chelsea's time was coming to an end.

There whole squad is full of players like Terry,Lampard,Essien,Drogba,Cole and Cech who are all shadows of there former selves.
Add average players like Malouda,Mikel,Torres,Luiz,Boswinga and others to the mix.

You have an average side.

Apart from Mata and Sturridge, Would any other Chelsea player get into the Spurs side on a long term basis?

Luiz is by no means average, he's fudging quality, he's taken his time to settle in but I don't believe you've watched Chelsea play much recently if you think he's average.

And you can ask how many chelsea players would get in to our side but it doesn't mean anything. How many of Arsenals get in to our supposed best side? I'd guess not many would be the general thought on here but they still tore us to shreds. If our squad is so much better than why have both of these teams regularly finished above us in recent years? There is a lot of work to be done for us to be considered the best team in London yet.

There whole squad is full of players like Terry,Lampard,Essien,Drogba,Cole and Cech who are all shadows of there former selves.
Add average players like Malouda,Mikel,Torres,Luiz,Boswinga and others to the mix.

Apart from Mata and Sturridge, Would any other Chelsea player get into the Spurs side on a long term basis?

I rate Ramires as well.

But if they really are an average side, they must be overachieving if they're in 5th place and in the QF of the UCL.

Nonsense.

It might have been common knowledge that the current Chelsea squad would soon need an overhaul if they were to maintain their status as one of the top two or three PL clubs in the coming years. But no one was predicting the kind of fall from grace that they've suffered this season.

They were still very much seen as one of the title favourites. And I'm sure that Modric would have believed that to be the case too.

I agree. Let's face it, before the start of this season Spurs had just come 4th and then come 5th, whereas Chelsea had done the double and then been runners up. They were in the CL, we weren't. Chelsea have the backing of Abramovic and splash out ?ú50 million on the like of Torres, we have to live within much much stricter means.

I'm sure Modric will have loved the bumper wage increase too, but I think most people would look at the two clubs and think that the odds were much more in favour of Chelsea winning a major trophy before we did. To say that it was definitely only money that motivated Modric wanting to move to Chelsea is a bit silly really.

Agree

Most top players want to win things, thats one of the things that makes them top players. I am sure the money is welcome but Berby, Carrick and Modric thought that by moving they stood more chance of winning things. As fans of a club we may feel that is wrong but players do not have the emotional attachment to a club the way we do.

That's why they where 1/10 to finish top 4 and 13/5 to win the league at the start of the season?

Just because Chelsea went on effective strike during AVB's reign doesnt turn all their players into average players.
Terry, Drogba and Cole would walk into any team in the league, including ours.

Whatever his reasons, he went about it the wrong way. Thats the only problem as far as Im concerned.

Have you actually seen Drogba,Cole and Terry play this season?

Drogba - 18 Games - 5 Goals - 1 Assist.
Adebayor - 25 Games - 11 Goals - 11 Assists.

Cole has been a shadow of himself; He has been a liability and he should have been sent off on numerous occasions; The stamp on Hernandez and the kung fu kick against Wolves.
Terry would not be a long term signing; He has 1 or 2 years left and he is way too much trouble, Could you see him playing for us with our large black community in North London?

I'd take Courtious, Ivanovic, Cole, Drogba, Mata, Sturridge if offered to me if I am honest with you.

AVB didnt exactly play to Drogba's strengths. He tried to get him to play neat and tidy link up player. On wednesday Chelsea played to his strengths and the old Drogba was back. Look at the difference in these 2 games. He dominated the game as a route one target man.

06Wr5.png

As I said before you can't right off these Chelsea players because of how they failed to perform under AVB.

Have you actually seen Drogba,Cole and Terry play this season?

Drogba - 18 Games - 5 Goals - 1 Assist.
Adebayor - 25 Games - 11 Goals - 11 Assists.

Cole has been a shadow of himself; He has been a liability and he should have been sent off on numerous occasions; The stamp on Hernandez and the kung fu kick against Wolves.
Terry would not be a long term signing; He has 1 or 2 years left and he is way too much trouble, Could you see him playing for us with our large black community in North London?

It's not a question of which of their players, on this season's form, would get into our team.

What matters is how Chelsea and Spurs were respectively regarded before the season started.

And the truth is that Spurs were a Europa League participant that was believed to have an outside chance of finishing 4th in the Premier League while Chelsea were a Champions League participant that was believed, like every season for the past eight years, to have a good chance of winning the title.

So I repeat, you have no basis for claiming that Modric wanted to move to Chelsea solely or primarily for the money.

In the past decade, we've finished in the top 4 once (and then got to the QF). Chelsea have finished in the top 4 every one of those seasons. We have won a carling cup. They have won 3 league titles, 3 FA cups and 2 league cups. Even in the past 2 seasons, they've finished 1st and 2nd, with an FA cup and we've finished 4th and 5th.

In our 'best season' for ages and Chelsea's worst in years, we're still only currently 4 points ahead of them. This is with them going through a new manager, who the players clearly hated.

Let us not get ahead of ourselves here. Berbatov and Carrick may also have picked up more money in their moves but they wanted to leave to win more trophies. Which they did. Same with Modric too.

The future for both us and Chelsea is very unclear imo but Chelsea at least have Abrahmovich's money and the prestige gained over the past 10 years. Its far too easy to dismiss these moves as simply for money.

Good article with some insights on agents and transfers.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/blog/2012/mar/16/secret-footballer-agents

The Secret Footballer: an agent not afraid to bend the rules is key

Precocious talent like that of Lille's Eden Hazard is easy to spot. It's easier still when sporting director Zinedine Zidane says: "I would take him to Real Madrid with my eyes closed."

Those inside the game have been aware of the Belgian for several years and it is fair to say that since Sir Alex Ferguson watched him play at the weekend, everyone will now know his name. I was talking to an Arsenal fan last week about whom he'd love to see his team sign this summer. "Eden Hazard," he replied. "Have you ever actually seen him play?" I asked. "No," came the reply, "but he's meant to be excellent."

Yet look outside the obvious candidates for a transfer this summer and there are hundreds of other, perhaps less glamorous, deals already being worked on as agents trawl through their contacts, putting deals in place with players who had no intention of leaving to sign for a chairman who had no intention of buying, from clubs that never wanted to sell in the first place.

When I started my career I was incredibly naive as to why certain things in football happened the way they did, transfer deals being one of them. Amazingly I used to think that a player earned a move by playing well. Don't get me wrong, many do but plenty more don't. There is no logical reason for why some transfers happen, or at least little proof.

The reality is that there is always somebody somewhere who has an agenda for wanting to do a deal and it is more often than not motivated by money. When I was at my first club we had a young, talented striker whose prolific goalscoring at youth level brought him to the attention of all the agents and scouts affiliated with the top clubs. Because he was 17 he had yet to sign a professional contract, which made both him and the club vulnerable.

Almost every day he would come into training with yet another business card that had been pushed through the letterbox of his parents' home. I remember one letter that he showed me from the team he supported as a kid, which read like a ransom note: "Dear Mr and Mrs 'Smith', we would like to talk to you about your son's career prospects, please call the number below."

That young player made one big mistake. He had a great career at his feet and, despite many of the senior players' protestations, he signed a deal with the Professional Footballers' Association to represent him. I know very few players who are represented by the PFA now, and for one very good reason: their agents have to play by the rules.

What he should have done is signed with an agent who could deal with some of the names attached to the business cards. But then again, show me a teenager who always makes the right decision and I'll show you 30 millionaire professional footballers, on the move again this summer, who can't tie their own boots.

Perhaps the most curious transfer in recent years was United's capture of the Portuguese winger B?®b?®. It caught the eye not only because of the price tag ÔÇô ?ú7.4m ÔÇô but also because of comments from Ferguson at the time. "I didn't see any videos of him," the United manager confessed. "You've got to trust your staff at times and our scout in Portugal was adamant we must do something quickly." If I were to put into print what I thought of that deal, I'd probably find myself in front of a high court judge before you could say "lawsuit".

That said, there are times when a scout really pulls a gem out of the bag. A very good friend of mine who has been scouting for years would often go along to matches with a view to making his mind up over a target, only to be more impressed by someone else and end up signing them instead.

A little while back I thought I was getting an unexpected move when a former manager rang me up. I got excited at the prospect of a reunion only to learn that he wanted my opinion on another player at my club and whether I thought he would be interested in leaving. It placed me in an awkward position but I did what I hoped my team-mate would have done for me if the shoe were on the other foot.

There was another occasion, a few seasons ago, when I had a call from a Premier League manager in February thanking me for choosing his club in the summer. He said that he was looking forward to working with me and urged me not to get injured in the end‑of‑season run-in. I immediately phoned my agent, who was also in the dark.

As it turned out, an agent claiming to be working for me had agreed a sale price with my parent club and even personal terms on my behalf. His next phone call was going to be to my official agent to strike a deal for a percentage of the sale price, something like a finder's fee. In effect I had already been sold and bought before I knew a thing about it. Thankfully the buying manager let the cat out of the bag before he got any further.

But none of this means a player has to move clubs. The final say always rests with us, even when a manager would be prepared to drive you to another club just to see the back of you. Recently our physio approached our most experienced player, a man who has won almost everything worth winning in the game and who has a few quid in his pocket, to inform him that he'd had a chat with his counterpart at a Championship club and learned that Doncaster were interested. "Great," replied our player. "What do they want me to do, buy the club?"​

has anyone worked out the secret footballer yet?

the last paragraph suggests its either a United or chelsea player

Back