• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Transfer Rumour Thread

I don't see what the fuss is - we already have much better players in our team

Bale, Modric, VdV, Adebayor are all better players as far as I can see - will anyone here claim they aren't better than Hazard?

They would all tear up Ligue 1

It's "nice" but seems a lot of money to spend on this kid - it doesn't seem a good use of our transfer budget to me

I kinda agree - I would rather spend 20m on a striker and another 20m on a winger and a defender

However i think this signing would be a statement of intent.

I kinda agree - I would rather spend 20m on a striker and another 20m on a winger and a defender

don't think we need a defender (cover at rb maybe)

King, Caulker, Kaboul & Dawson (maybe Gallas as well)

plus he is a winger - so all we would need is to either sign Adebayor or a replacement and we are set

Would you be happy with ?ú30 million on hazard and ?ú10 million on Adebayor?

Think we're going to look to the youth to add to the defence.. Caulker or the brazilian chappy will be our 4th or 5th choice..

Aren't we going for Vertonghen anymore?

I honestly don't think we need him. Caulker has impressed at Swansea, i don't think i'd want to bring in another defender in front of him because he is someone we will want at the club for years to come, i hope.

Bringing someone in before him will just mean he gets far less game time.

Bale, Modric, VdV, Adebayor are all better players as far as I can see - will anyone here claim they aren't better than Hazard?

It's "nice" but seems a lot of money to spend on this kid - it doesn't seem a good use of our transfer budget to me

How much have you seen of him?

I honestly don't think we need him. Caulker has impressed at Swansea, i don't think i'd want to bring in another defender in front of him because he is someone we will want at the club for years to come, i hope.

Bringing someone in before him will just mean he gets far less game time.

I still think we need a defender - dont forget Bassong and Gallas will most probably leave as will Nielsen. Dawson, Kaboom, King and Caulker? King isnt reliable and maybe Dawson (but some dont think eh is good enough) so would you be happy relying on Caulker?

I love Adebayor I really do BUT I still think we would need another striker. a more clinical one. Also even if we do get Ade, we dont have anyone even comparable to him as back up.

Surely the purchase fee for Hazard would be accounted for, in the club's books, over a few years. The player is young, likely to be an asset for us well in to the future, and will have a re-sale value should we decide to sell in the future.

Add to that the fact that we have barely spent, as a club, in the last few seasons and I don't think it would be as ridiculous a dent in the transfer budget as it first would appear.

I still think we need a defender - dont forget Bassong and Gallas will most probably leave as will Nielsen. Dawson, Kaboom, King and Caulker? King isnt reliable and maybe Dawson (but some dont think eh is good enough) so would you be happy relying on Caulker?

I love Adebayor I really do BUT I still think we would need another striker. a more clinical one. Also even if we do get Ade, we dont have anyone even comparable to him as back up.

Caulker has been playing week in week out at swansea, whenever he has been available, he is one of the reasons they have conceded so few goals at home this season. I would most definitely be happy relying on Caulker.

We might be getting in the under 20 brazilian captain, who also plays in central defence. If we get him there would probably be a high possibility of him being loaned out with a recall option next season, so he can get some first team experience and adapt to the english game a bit more.

So if we end up having a horrific injury crisis then we can at least recall him and throw him into the mix.

Although i will not get to see him in action, so we will have to see if the club thinks he is good enough/has potential.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/fo...ear-contract-extension-Tottenham-Hotspur.html

Gallas is here until 2013, though it will have to be seen how he recovers from his current injury issues.

Caulker has been playing week in week out at swansea, whenever he has been available, he is one of the reasons they have conceded so few goals at home this season. I would most definitely be happy relying on Caulker.

We might be getting in the under 20 brazilian captain, who also plays in central defence. If we get him there would probably be a high possibility of him being loaned out with a recall option next season, so he can get some first team experience and adapt to the english game a bit more.

So if we end up having a horrific injury crisis then we can at least recall him and throw him into the mix.

Although i will not get to see him in action, so we will have to see if the club thinks he is good enough/has potential.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/fo...ear-contract-extension-Tottenham-Hotspur.html

Gallas is here until 2013, though it will have to be seen how he recovers from his current injury issues.

Didnt realise Caulker has played that many games. I thought gallas was just a two year thing. GHod im uneducated.

We also need a right back dont forget. The more you look at the squad the more gaps you may well find. Right back back up, left back back up, Winger back up (altho solved if we get Hazard), Striker. Keeper (Cant rely on two 40 yr olds)

How much have you seen of him?

That's just my point - I haven't seen much of him at all

But I feel certain he wouldn't be one of our best few players, so for me he isn't worth ?ú30m

With FFP we need to find good value

He's a good player but I'm not sure it is worth the risk, as he isn't proven and is still young

He might go into his shell, he might go into nightclubs, he might be as good as Lennon if we're lucky

I would pay big money for a 25 year old proven star, but with FFP I think transfer fees and wages will plummet, so I don't want to pay over the odds

It's not like we're buying Van Persie or Adebayor for a cut price deal at the end of his contract... it's just another kid on the production line

People were saying Bojan would be massive, and Quaresma, and loads of others, but .... I'm still waiting

Its the potential he has which would be good. If he at least reached the levels Nasri reached last season at Arsenal he would be an improvement in attacking midfield. However he is being talked about potentially becoming as good as Ronaldo/Messi.

Do you remember when everyone was hoping for the next Maradona. How Riquelme was supposed to be it, Aimar, then D'Alesandro then Saviola. Finally it came to Messi and people began to see how class he has become and how the others were all false dawns.

The same thing happened with the next Zidane, Apparently it was Cheyrou, then Gourcuff,Ribery, ben arfa, Nasri, taarabt, etc. Now its Hazard, i know he's not french but he came through their system. He is class up compared to any of those players when they were his age. He is a player that has been developing and delivering from a young age and he has the potential to easily add 10 goals and 10 assists to our team next year at the age of 21/22. Injury barring he has things which you cannot teach or are hard to teach, technique, inventivness and pace. Players like quaresma where tricky but slow; that means nothing nowadays as most defenders are great athletes. Hazard has the ability to run past them or trick his way past them. Things like teamwork and tactical awareness are things that come with experience and can be taught. If we buy him for 25mil to 35 mil we can easily make a 15 mil profit on him. One way of thinking is, how good would Niko be if he had the pace of Lennon; to me that is Hazard.

Last edited:
Didnt realise Caulker has played that many games. I thought gallas was just a two year thing. GHod im uneducated.

We also need a right back dont forget. The more you look at the squad the more gaps you may well find. Right back back up, left back back up, Winger back up (altho solved if we get Hazard), Striker. Keeper (Cant rely on two 40 yr olds)

Right/left back = Naughton.

The Striker and Keeper are causes for concern though i agree.

Caulker is expected to be an England Centre back of the future, I think he is expected to be called up for the squad relatively soon. Though this might be partly due to his dual nationality, the England team want to make sure he stays eligible for them.

As for being uneducated i had a sneaking suspicion, but i had to look up the Gallas contract thing to be sure :p

Surely the purchase fee for Hazard would be accounted for, in the club's books, over a few years. The player is young, likely to be an asset for us well in to the future, and will have a re-sale value should we decide to sell in the future.

Add to that the fact that we have barely spent, as a club, in the last few seasons and I don't think it would be as ridiculous a dent in the transfer budget as it first would appear.

yeah, ive been saying for a while now that i think we have been positioning ourselves to make a big impact in the transfer window at some point. fairly little net spend and shifting deadwood, signing players like Saha/Gallas/Nelson. we will now be in a position to make the most of the past few seasons of 'penny pinching' IMO it has all been leading up to this moment

hopefully this will prove to be the case

Last edited:
Its the potential he has which would be good. If he at least reached the levels Nasri reached last season at Arsenal he would be an improvement in attacking midfield. However he is being talked about potentially becoming as good as Ronaldo/Messi.

Do you remember when everyone was hoping for the next Maradona. How Riquelme was supposed to be it, Aimar, then D'Alesandro then Saviola. Finally it came to Messi and people began to see how class he has become and how the others were all false dawns.

The same thing happened with the next Zidane, Apparently it was Cheyrou, then Gourcuff,Ribery, ben arfa, Nasri, taarabt, etc. Now its Hazard, i know he's not french but he came through their system. He is class up compared to any of those players when they were his age. He is a player that has been developing and delivering from a young age and he has the potential to easily add 10 goals and 10 assists to our team next year at the age of 21/22. Injury barring he has things which you cannot teach or are hard to teach, technique, inventivness and pace. Players like quaresma where tricky but slow; that means nothing nowadays as most defenders are great athletes. Hazard has the ability to run past them or trick his way past them. Things like teamwork and tactical awareness are things that come with experience and can be taught. If we buy him for 25mil to 35 mil we can easily make a 15 mil profit on him. One way of thinking is, how good would Niko be if he had the pace of Lennon; to me that is Hazard.

Thanks Punk, that's good to hear

But that does echo my own worry - is he another of those underlined above, or is he the next big star? I don't know, but I've seen so many false dawns I am concerned. OK I'd be happy if he was Riquelme or Saviola, but do you remember Bruno Cheyrou at liverpool with Florent Sinama Pongolle? Dear me.

On the subject of Caulker - I think he has a great physique and probably a great future... but right here and now he will by definition have a LOT to learn about being a centre back.

I don't really like young centre backs learning their trade at Spurs - I don't mind young wingers or young strikers as those positions can afford mistakes... but there are very few 21 year old centre backs that are as good as 25 year olds that have learnt when to go tight, when to nudge a player off-stride, when to tackle etc.

Maybe Caulker is a prodigious talent like King or whatever... but remember the "Rio Ferdinand learning years" back at West Ham and Leeds? He was ridiculed for his errors, it usually takes a lot of years before a centre back is top class and ready to win the league.

You're doing him a little bit of a disservice though. For someone who has just turned 21, he's already won young player of year twice in Ligue 1, which was followed up last year with player of the year, he's contributed massively to win Lille their first League title in 50 odd years. It's not some kid in a youth team we're talking about here, there's a reason why he's the most sought after young player in Europe along with Bale and Goetze, not saying I'm an expert on him here(I've only watched him twice) but I don't really remember Cheyrou and Pongolle having similar things said of them.

Would you be happy with ?ú30 million on hazard and ?ú10 million on Adebayor?

Think we're going to look to the youth to add to the defence.. Caulker or the brazilian chappy will be our 4th or 5th choice..

I'd be happy with Adebayor or Cavani and then Hazard as well.

It's all in hand mate. Naughton will have a whole (successful) season of PL by next season, care of Norwich. Him and Rose make the FB covers (and don't forget that Gallas and Kaboul both cover well at RB). CB we still have King, Gallas, Daws and Kaboul, whilst Caulker is probably going to give Harry a selection headache when he gets integrated next season. Add to that this Brazilian lad and Rumours of Vertonghen and CB looks like it is under control for the foreseeable future.

As you say, wings will be solved with Hazard, whilst Niko gives us a different option and Townsend is progressing.

There have been a few rumours about our long term keeper target, which only really leaves a long term striking option as the main cause for concern... Can't really complain IMO.

Hope that, if he has said he wants to join us to Lille, they may accept €25M as was rumoured to be the amount Chelsea were going to offer.

Even better, €20M and Gio, maybe with a 10% sell on clause or summit.

I like this from his youth team coach;

Lille youth academy director Jean-Michel Vandamme countered both managers criticism by arguing that Hazard simply possesses an intellectual honesty that is out of the ordinary and unexpected of today's footballer declaring "He is a real competitor, not a cheat, nor a moaner, because you don’t hear him complaining when he gets fouled". Hazard's calm and cool demeanor on the field has been cited as one of his best attributes.

Haven't seen anything much of him (except when he was fairly average against Marseille when Harry was watching 'Remy apparently'). But sometimes levels of hype mean you know someone is quality, making the gamble much less IMO.

Also, as said by others, it signals a level of intent, to Bale, Modric, Sandro et al. Plus to our shirt sponsors whose deals expire in the summer, this type of signing might make the deal worth ?ú2M extra a season (paying ?ú8M of his fee over 4years), plus the new stadium naming rights, it is just the right time for a marquee signing IMO, in order to maximise commercial influx where there might be hesitancy by big business to meet Levy's prices (with corps thinking we are as likely to fall back to 5th-10th as we are to become perennial challengers).

Last edited:
Back