• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Transfer Rumour Thread

we should go and nick Raheem Sterling from Liverpool whilst they are in turmoil. Comolli played a big role in getting him there and the kid has barely been given a chance

The problem is with this new Elite Player Performance Plan that's coming in. It will allow clubs to recruit youngsters from all over the UK, not just within a 20/40 minute-drive of the training ground. However, to do this you need to have a top-tier, Category One academy, with living, educational and health facilities in place for the youngsters, at least 18 full-time staff and a yearly budget of at least 2.5 million quid. We don't. If I remember correctly, our academy is currently rated as Category Three, so we won't be able to do it. And it'll take time and effort for our academy to be brought up to Tier One standard, and in that time, mosto f our best youngsters can, and probably will be poached by other clubs for nominal fees.

Where did you get all this info from then? Cant believe we are tier three.

What clubs are tier one? Chelsea, UTD, Villa, Arsenal?

how did you decide on that list if i may ask? what of bentley, landsbury, gilbert
.......i take it people like that didnt make the 20 game mark?

interesting stat though i must say

I went through the Arsenal.com websites list of players and tried to identify those English players who arrived at the club post-1996 and played more than 20 senior games for them.

Actually just re-looked. It was starts rather than games. Might have missed one or two but:

Bentley only had 5 starts
Lansbury appears to have had 1 start since 2007
Keera Gilbert had 10 starts before leaving the club in 2010 and is now at Shamrock Rovers
Jermaine Pennant has 12 starts (and 26 appearances)

We're only now starting to see the emergence of talent from our academy since the shake up when Arnesen was appointed. Most of them have yet to turn 20, so plenty of time to establish themselves.

Some recent players to come through: Mark Yeates (Watford), Lee Barnard (Southampton), Jake Livermore, Archibald-Henville (Exeter), Charlie Daniels (Leyton Orient), Andrew Barcham (S****horpe), Joe Martin (Gillingham), Ronnie Henry (Stevenage)

We're only now starting to see the emergence of talent from our academy since the shake up when Arnesen was appointed. Most of them have yet to turn 20, so plenty of time to establish themselves.

Some recent players to come through: Mark Yeates (Watford), Lee Barnard (Southampton), Jake Livermore, Archibald-Henville (Exeter), Charlie Daniels (Leyton Orient), Andrew Barcham (S****horpe), Joe Martin (Gillingham), Ronnie Henry (Stevenage)

Also, it's all over the news today that QPR have put in an offer for Alex Pritchard, so we must be doing something right with him.

I don't understand this apparent bid. If his contract is over this summer, why would they bid for him now, when they could get him for free in 2 months time?

I don't understand this apparent bid. If his contract is over this summer, why would they bid for him now, when they could get him for free in 2 months time?

Apparently the vultures are circling and there are a few clubs would like to take him off our hands. Seeing as they will have to pay compensation for him anyway, given his age, then putting in a bid for a player they want isn't such a mad idea.

Where did you get all this info from then? Cant believe we are tier three.

What clubs are tier one? Chelsea, UTD, Villa, Arsenal?

http://www.cartilagefreecaptain.com...performance-plane-means-for-tottenham-hotspur

They mention the plan, plus us not being a category one club. I can't seem to find exactly where I read that we were a Category Three one, but it was on the London Evening Standard or somewhere similar. I'll see if I can find it. In the meantime, Category One will probably be City, United, Saudi Sportswashing Machine, Arsenal and Liverpool. Those are the ones I remember having youth residences and big academies.

http://www.cartilagefreecaptain.com...performance-plane-means-for-tottenham-hotspur

They mention the plan, plus us not being a category one club. I can't seem to find exactly where I read that we were a Category Three one, but it was on the London Evening Standard or somewhere similar. I'll see if I can find it. In the meantime, Category One will probably be City, United, Saudi Sportswashing Machine, Arsenal and Liverpool. Those are the ones I remember having youth residences and big academies.

Bit off topic, but in the comments there was a really interesting article on Ajax's academy, long but a good read

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/06/06/magazine/06Soccer-t.html?pagewanted=all

I doubt this will significantly hinder Spurs. Not least because I imagine if it turned out to be an issue with lack of residencies, that Spurs would find somewhere to stick up a building on the 67 acres of the new facilty, or nearby:

http://www.tottenhamhotspur.com/spurs/The+Club/training-centre/the-scheme.page

Surely there's space there somewhere if needed.

But in general I can't see how this scheme won't be a disaster for smaller clubs. I'm really not sure what's to keep a kid at Crewe or Millwall if one of the big clubs nearby fancies taking him. That sounds very unhealthy and a big price to pay just so that a small number of kids can, in theory, get better coaching at one of the elite clubs and thus, again in theory, make the England national team better in future.

Is that really worth it? If Ashley Young had come up at Manyoo and not Watford, would he be any better? Probably not. Similarly, the majority of players who make it won't be significantly hampered by being brought up in small, but dedicated and homely, local academies. So really what you're left with is the small number of kids who would be improved at Manyoo rather than Watford. How many could that be? Meh, no more than a few here and there would be my guess, making the whole endeavour a net negative given the damage that might be done to smaller clubs.

Last edited:
It will be an utter death blow for a lot of the youth academies in the lower leagues. The system of compensation they've set up is ridiculous, with clubs receiving a fraction of what they'd previously have gotten. It'll lead to a lot of the lower clubs abandoning youth development entirely ,since it isn't profitable anymore, and will lead to the top club having bloated academies full of somewhat talented youngsters, most of whom will never make it at the club anyway, and will actually be worse off due to lack of playing time/personal attention. The Premier League basically bullied the Football League clubs into voting in favor by threatening to withhold youth development funding. I don't know if they can see just how shortsighted and destructive their policy will be to lower league football and to the careers of countless young hopefuls. I think they can't, or won't, though.

We've pretty much got Douglas from FC Twente and Romain Amalfitano signed, deals fully agreed etc.

The departure of Liverpool's Head of Sports Medicine/Science Peter Brukner today has been met with shock by some at Anfield. Brought in by Purslow after Benitez demanded a better medical dept, he was credited with the club now having best fitness stats in PL. Described by 1 senior source as one of LFC's "few employees of truly global standing-but never fitted in more 'traditional' Dalglish regime".

Another casualty in Liverpool's night of the long knives, along with their club lawyer and a couple of tea ladies most likely.

We've pretty much got Douglas from FC Twente and Romain Amalfitano signed, deals fully agreed etc.

Do you mean Morgan Amalfitano's brother? Never heard of him, but heard of Morgan. Good player. Douglas would be a real coup for you guys if you can get him though ,seems solid and dependable.

The departure of Liverpool's Head of Sports Medicine/Science Peter Brukner today has been met with shock by some at Anfield. Brought in by Purslow after Benitez demanded a better medical dept, he was credited with the club now having best fitness stats in PL. Described by 1 senior source as one of LFC's "few employees of truly global standing-but never fitted in more 'traditional' Dalglish regime".

Another casualty in Liverpool's night of the long knives, along with their club lawyer and a couple of tea ladies most likely.

get him in at Spurs!!

Back