• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Transfer Rumour Thread

People have been talking about Sigurdsson on here for weeks.

Personally, I havent seen enough of him to judge, but Im not sure why some people are making snidey comments about people rating him on yesterdays goal.

He had 2 shots in the whole game. Did absolutely nothing else. I think we sold Bent for only scoring and he is a million times better than him.

He will be a top signing this summer for someone though, Swansea, Wolves, Blackburn, Bolton et al.

Sigurdsson does more than scoring. He put in some very good set pieces yesterday and has done previously this season and he has put in some very nice passes and gotten a couple of assists because of it. We dealt with him very well, by putting 3 men in midfield and denying him space and service.

I wouldn't be convinced about us signing him, I think he needs to play a supporting striker/attacking midfield role to work, he doesn't have the pace to play as a winger and I don't think he would work in a 4-4-2. We don't really need a player limited to that position. But for a team like Swansea where he fits the formation very well he is a good player.

Agreed. Him and Clodgers proved yet again they're working in a no-pressure environment populated with talenteless overachievers who like to pass the ball around and enjoy their time in the PL. Happy days.

I knew his goal yesterday would trigger the 'sign him up' comments though - it is inevitable. Average player scores a Premier League goal against us = transfer links. Thankfully we won else the Clodgers fest would have been unbearable this week.

But have there actually been any sign him up comments? Indianspur just said he would be a top signing for someone, Libero mentioned Saudi Sportswashing Machine. And like totman said people have been talking about him for a couple of weeks at least now, the only post that only looked at the game between us and Swansea was the one you quoted and agreed with.

According to the stats they flashed on screen yesterday, Sigurdsson (or "Singhasoon" to quote David Pleat) topped the game with the most distance covered - yes, even more than any of our beloved grafters.

Agreed. Him and Clodgers proved yet again they're working in a no-pressure environment populated with talenteless overachievers who like to pass the ball around and enjoy their time in the PL. Happy days.

I knew his goal yesterday would trigger the 'sign him up' comments though - it is inevitable. Average player scores a Premier League goal against us = transfer links. Thankfully we won else the Clodgers fest would have been unbearable this week.

"Clodgers" got a hugely unfancied team to Premier League safety with two months of the season remaining. And he did it without going down the traditional route of playing muscular, brutish football. Remarkable achievement.

Swansea's passing isn't of the pointless variety. It has helped them to overachieve massively.

Whether or not Rodgers has what it takes to man manage top level players and a top level club, I couldn't say. But give him players like Bale, Modric, Van Der Vaart, Lennon, Huddlestone, Adebayor etc instead of Britton, Allen, Gower, Graham etc and it could be a devastating team. Possession alongside awesome pace and end product.

Phil Brown performed similar miracles in his first season

We play very similar style of football at times so by the same argument you could say Arry is doing a perfectly fine job. Win more than we lose, etc.

Would only be fair, imv to pass judgement on him following his second PL season with Swansea and their subsequent from, position, style of play, etc. - i.e. post-honeymoon period

Last edited:

We play very similar style of football at times so by the same argument you could say Arry is doing a perfectly fine job. Win more than we lose, etc.

Would only be fair, imv to pass judgement on him following his second PL season with them and their subsequent from, position, style of play, etc. - i.e. post-honeymoon period

Brendan Rodgers is not the first or last manager to get promotion and then make a stand in the league. Phil brown and Owen coyle come to mind. Give him a second season when people get used to swanseas style of play and we'll see if he is a tactical genius

Sent from my Nexus S using Fapatalk

Would only be fair, imv to pass judgement on him following his second PL season with them and their subsequent from, position, style of play, etc. - i.e. post-honeymoon period

What Brown did at Hull was very different. All enthusiasm and gung ho - sometimes suicidal - attacking.

There was no plan. No pattern of play. No sophistication. No ability to defend.

Swansea under Rodgers have all those things. You don't get to play the way that Swansea play by accident. You have to work very, very hard at it.

And let's not forget that Hull only escaped relegation by the skin of their teeth. Nothing like Swansea's position.

And yes, we sort of play a similar system under Harry. But with a far better level of player. And, in case you hadn't heard yet, there's every chance that Harry might move on in the summer. ;)

What Brown did at Hull was very different. All enthusiasm and gung ho - sometimes suicidal - attacking.

Swansea under Rodgers have all those things. You don't get to play the way that Swansea play by accident. You have to work very, very hard at it.

And let's not forget that Hull only escaped relegation by the skin of their teeth. Nothing like Swansea's position.

And yes, we sort of play a similar system under Harry. But with a far better level of player. And, in case you hadn't heard yet, there's every chance that Harry might move on in the summer. ;)

They're overachieving massively and playing with zero pressure whatsover.

Sophistication? Sorry fella but Blackburn have scored 8 more goals than them this season. Norwich City - 7. Sunderland - 7. WBA (massive cloggers) have also managed to score more than the mighty Swansea.

Hull had scored the exact same amount of goals at this stage in their debut season. Had also beaten Tottenham and Arsenal away

As already mentioned - many managers have kept newly promoted teams up in their debut season but it would only be fair to see how they do in their second stint, havng been found out by most teams and set out on the field to match that.

Amazes me how some REFUSE to see it.

And Arcy, WBA Cloggers? Have you seen them recently? They have been playing some decent stuff under Woy.

There's more to football than playing nice stuff, yes Swansea passed it well yesterday but their defending was shocking.
When did Adebayor last score a goal from a header?

This love in for Swansea is a joke and motd tried desperately to imply that we had to change our way of playing to cope with Swansea's wonderful style. There was only one team looking like they would score in that 1st half and it wasn't them.

For me we returned to the way we were playing at the start of the season when we just kept winning.
Long may it continue.

Amazes me how some REFUSE to see it.

And Arcy, WBA Cloggers? Have you seen them recently? They have been playing some decent stuff under Woy.

No, they have been doing a slightly less inspired version of the Moyes 'choke' and relying primarily on Odemwingwe's decent form (who's also been linked with us before and no doubt would be mentioned soon again. Perhaps him and Pogrebnyak are this summer's surprise signings, who knows)

Why do you insist on painting Clodgers as some kind of tactical genius extraordinaire when up to date he has done nothing which hasn't been done before by numerous managers in identical positions to his? Newly promoted team winning a few games and looking to survive the drop. Woo. Hoo. I think those Mourinho quotes are doing him more harm than good.

2 seasons in the PL should be the absolute minimum criteria for any overachieving newly promoted team/manager. And especially one being mentioned as the successor in a team looking to be a regular Top 4 participant.

I think the current media love-in for Swansea is to be fair a bit OTT but can't deny he has done something extra there, like turning Leon Britton into Europe's most successful passer, even higher completion rate than Xavi! Arguably he also has "worse" players than Holloway or Brown did, but has made them better through pure coaching.

This love in for Swansea is a joke and motd tried desperately to imply that we had to change our way of playing to cope with Swansea's wonderful style. There was only one team looking like they would score in that 1st half and it wasn't them.

I think there's a general admiration for the fact they attempt to pass the ball a bit instead of parking the bus or doing 60 yard throw ins (fair enough) but they're very naive in certain aspects of the game and extremely light-weight both in the middle and upfront

Back