• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Tottenham Hotspur Stadium - Licence To Stand

Re: Northumberland Development Project

Damn! if we build a stadium that actually means i can get a season ticket and then we also have an NFL franchise which i would follow i would spend all my time at White Hart Lane. :)

I know what you mean, If I were still single I'd be looking to move down there, our company has a branch in Tottenham, would have been enquiring about a switch

But then the dots go on...

There's lots of gossip making the rounds these days in Toronto regarding a bid for a NFL franchise. Just like the one London will be getting. The NFL needs a proper stadium to house the team. Spurs are willing to make that happen. Just not quite able.

So, along comes Tim Leiweke and his money management team from Maple Leaf Sports and Entertainment, proud owners of a sports empire that is close to reaching the saturation point in terms of financial success for it's major properties - the NHL's Maple Leafs, the NBA's Raptors and MLS club Toronto FC. They need a new challenge.

By helping Spurs get their stadium built, they help the NFL achieve its goals in London. Sure, they might be in for a piece of ENIC's stake in Spurs and in London's potential NFL team. Or they might prefer to use the goodwill their stadium-building assistance would generate in NFL HQ to streamline their own bid for a NFL team. Hard to lose either way.

Interesting, but in all honesty I think the NFL need to stop deluding themselves that American Football is ever going to catch on in Europe. Europeans have had a good long look at American Football now over many years and they've never come anywhere close to biting.

Yes, they might get 50k a fortnight (or whatever it is) for an NFL game in London, but they are never going to spread the game to any significant degree beyond that base. Not least because Europeans won't watch a game for 3+ hours split into 30 second spurts of action in between 3 minutes of TV ads. Americans are culturally used to that, and of course they love their game so they put up with it. In Europe though? Not ever, ever going to happen in my strong opinion.

I think there's a degree of American arrogance here. There is such a strong belief in America that anywhere that isn't America is basically a black hole of savagery, and that they are bringing light to the darkness in sharing anything American with us. It's an evangelical, proselytising kind of impulse, but I think they have that hideously wrong a lot of the time, and certainly when it comes to spreading their sports overseas.

(That's not at all meant as a cheap shot at Americans BTW. I love the Yanks and I love their mad country, but we all have our faults, and one of theirs is assuming everyone wants to be American.)

Interesting, but in all honesty I think the NFL need to stop deluding themselves that American Football is ever going to catch on in Europe. Europeans have had a good long look at American Football now over many years and they've never come anywhere close to biting.

Yes, they might get 50k a fortnight (or whatever it is) for an NFL game in London, but they are never going to spread the game to any significant degree beyond that base. Not least because Europeans won't watch a game for 3+ hours split into 30 second spurts of action in between 3 minutes of TV ads. Americans are culturally used to that, and of course they love their game so they put up with it. In Europe though? Not ever, ever going to happen in my strong opinion.

I think there's a degree of American arrogance here. There is such a strong belief in America that anywhere that isn't America is basically a black hole of savagery, and that they are bringing light to the darkness in sharing anything American with us. It's an evangelical, proselytising kind of impulse, but I think they have that hideously wrong a lot of the time, and certainly when it comes to spreading their sports overseas.

(That's not at all meant as a cheap shot at Americans BTW. I love the Yanks and I love their mad country, but we all have our faults, and one of theirs is assuming everyone wants to be American.)

Ahem....

British_empire_Color.jpg

:D

)

3 games a season all 90k sell outs with tickets being sold out within an hour

and this from 29/09 - The NFL sent a pair of 0-3 teams to London this week, but it didn’t seem to matter.

As explained by SportsBusiness Daily, a Saturday block party in London drew more than 500,000 fans. Via Alan Robinson of the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review, Steelers players and owners Dan Rooney and Art Rooney II were “overwhelmed” by the turnout on Regent Street, which was closed for the event

Maybe they (je ne suis pas un American) just want to make money? Nothing arrogant about that. The NFL is very successful in the highly competitive field of sports and entertainment and plenty of other leagues are pushing into America. No one is calling Emirates Marketing Project arrogant for partnering up with the NY Yankees baseball club to create NY City FC, soon to join MLS. No one called Arsenal arrogant for partnering up with Colorado or Spurs arrogant for linking with Toronto. No one should assume the NFL sits idly by watching these developments without thinking how they can initiate their own beneficial partnerships.

If 90,000 people - many of them from beyond Britain - choose to show up at Wembley two or three times a year to watch NFL action - as they have reliably done in recent years - then it's a pretty good assumption they've got an audience for an appealing product that is worth trying over a full season with a properly lodged London franchise.

I wouldn't assume the NFL is doing anything more than having a flutter with expanding internationally with London and London alone. It comes down to finding a city that players will be adaptable to, in terms of language and culture. Mexico City was mooted some years back until it became clear that most American players had no intention of moving there to play. London fits the bill and adds greatly to the league's profile. If it works well enough over a certain number of years, it wouldn't shock me to see another team placed in Germany. Apparently there's an appetite for the game there as well.

In the short term, whoever can partner up with the NFL and house that incoming franchise will benefit substantially. The league will likely have a plan in place to create a measure of financial support for the London team to ensure at least a decade's existence. In Spurs case, if this is the final push of the lever to give the stadium project wings, then I'm all for it. If it doesn't work out after a decade or so for the NFL, well tough titties. At least the stadium will be built and Spurs will have what they need to grow as a club.

The world of sports is beginning to see major clubs in different sports link up to share marketing and promotional opportunities. It's not something that is diminishing. It's a good thing for Spurs to get in on the forefront of it.

Last edited:

How do San Jose feel about our new love-in with Toronto? Don't we also have a partnership with them?

The NFL's format does suit a London expansion. A regular season is only eight home games. It's not like basketball or baseball with 82 (?) and 162 (?) regular season games, then interest would quickly wane. With only five extra games the prospects of selling out must be very good and a couple of playoff games shouldn't be hard to sell if they do well enough. There should be a good market for corporate season tickets, both from American companies in London and other companies wanting to attract American business.

I dread to think what the local pool of cheerleaders will look like.

chav-pregnant-lovely.jpg

The NFL's format does suit a London expansion. A regular season is only eight home games. It's not like basketball or baseball with 82 (?) and 162 (?) regular season games, then interest would quickly wane. With only five extra games the prospects of selling out must be very good and a couple of playoff games shouldn't be hard to sell if they do well enough. There should be a good market for corporate season tickets, both from American companies in London and other companies wanting to attract American business.

Great post mate and very true.

This was posted on SC.

Interesting watching the NFL last night that the UK NFL director (or something like that) was being very guarded about the possibility of a London franchise and not directly answering any questions about it. That and having nearly sold out 3 NFL matches for this year make me cautiously excited there might be something in the NFL joint stadium.

I have to admit that in previous pages I went a bit too far in saying that the new stadium has to be 'iconic' and we needed to be more ambitious. What we need is a stadium and we need it now but above else it needs to create not only the maximum revenues but also attract the biggest possible sponsorship deal, one that will enable us to avoid being in the position that Arsenal were in during the first six years of the Emirates

I feel that the stadium also needs to be able to expand in future quite comfortable, if demand sees a sharpe increase again. Just look at City for example not only are they going to expand to 62,000 but they have demonstrated that they can take the Eithad to an even higher capacity in the future if need be.This was posted on skyscr@percity.

With the expansion (62,170):

rxdv.jpg

Future expansion of the east and west stands if required (around 71,500):

c6yi.jpg

We don't need something silly like 100,000 (which was actually rumoured about six years lol) but it obvious that if we do build a new stadium with 60,000 (approx) then I can't imagine our rivals standing still, just look at Man Utd for example, when Arsenal began building the Emirates Utd made their move almost immediately announcing (in early 2004) their plans to fill in the corners and take capacity up to 76,000.

Last edited:

495m for an extra 5K seats, I know it talks about corporate facilities but that is a crazy amount of money to spend for something like that. By their reckoning it will take 20 years to make it back. Plus where do they get that sort of money from, aren't they massively skint?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/25819769

495m for an extra 5K seats, I know it talks about corporate facilities but that is a crazy amount of money to spend for something like that. By their reckoning it will take 20 years to make it back. Plus where do they get that sort of money from, aren't they massively skint?

Apparently there will be 3500ish corporate added which should help make a **** load

That total also includes the cost of constructing a new 12,000 capacity indoor basketball arena which accounts for about £60m and apparently they are only taking out about £160m in bank loans with the rest coming from "existing funds" :-k

So with an extra £24m a year coming in from the new corporate facilities the debt should be paid off within a decade, which is about the same amount of time ARSEnal took to pay for the Emirates afaik.

Barca's principle means of paying for the redevelopment is likely to be a huge naming rights deal.

Whilst we're on the subject of other projects, here's what Atletico Madrid are building.

[video=youtube;r0P659nhtVs]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r0P659nhtVs[/video]

Capacity: 70,000
Cost: €200 million (£164 million)
Completion: 2015

It's on the cheap as it not entirely a new build, the main stand has been there for years as part of the athletics stadium that was part of Madrid's failed bid to host the 2012 games. Nice and simple design overall.

If all goes well with ticket sales then they could be looking at some serious dough, looked to be a lot of corporate seating in that video.

Re: Atleti's new barn. The video makes me think there'll be a dress code there. Bit posh for the Atleti mob. There's a parking lot for Audi's under it. Vicente Calderon currently has motorway full of smoke-spewing Seats running under one stand. Traffic backs up and you get beer dripping on your bonnet.

Must say, I like the simple, straightforward approach taken with expanding City's ground.

Back