• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Tim Sherwood…gone \o/

Do you want Tim Sherwood to stay as manager?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Re: Tim Sherwood - Head Coach

WOW. im about ready to take back every good thing I said about TS, maybe its true... he doesnt have a clue.

I see the team sheet and happily find we are playing 2 up front. AND THEN I SEE WE ARE PLAYING 2 INVERTED WINGERS!!!!! We finally play 2 up front and then stick 2 inverted wingers so a) no crosses will be coming in and b) youl have 2 players cutting into to where the strikers are and end up with 4 players in peoples way.

What the hell is that about? Even a child would say from the outset thats not going to work. And lo and behold what happens for 45 minutes? No chances no fluidity.

Seriously these are novice mistakes. What the **** is going on??????? Somebody tell me

I thought Eriksen on the left and Townsend on the right were very effective today. Also thought Eriksen and soldado worked well together.

So what you're saying, is that Tim Sherwood is beyond criticism because we should be giving him a chance?

That's a bizarre line to take.

Criticism is fine, dogs hit abuse is not fair or warranted IMO

Came from behind in a near impossible position against a good European side.

Why can't people just be pleased?

Let's just enjoy. Benfica at the Lane?- yes please, and yes please Benfica awayday. It's what Barclaycards were made for!

Or to flip that - got into an impossible position against some european nobodies and had to play our full strength PL side to dig us out. In the meantime got out-thought by someone most fans regard to be our worst manager of the modern era.

Or to flip that - got into an impossible position against some european nobodies and had to play our full strength PL side to dig us out. In the meantime got out-thought by someone most fans regard to be our worst manager of the modern era.

You could do that for every situation in every game of football ever though. Yes TS has to take criticism for allowing us to get into that situation, but he also has should also be given credit for getting us out of it. It certainly wasn't our full strength PL side, but even if it was, if that is what was needed to win the tie, then he still should be given credit.

He's got Ade playing at the top of his game. I'm sure we're in a better position with him in charge than we would have been had we stuck with AVB. Where would the goals have come from?
I just hope that at some point during the remainder of the season, Tim gets a chance to pick his first choice 11.

You could do that for every situation in every game of football ever though. Yes TS has to take criticism for allowing us to get into that situation, but he also has should also be given credit for getting us out of it. It certainly wasn't our full strength PL side, but even if it was, if that is what was needed to win the tie, then he still should be given credit.

That was as much as a full strength team as he could field wasn't it? Everyone else injured - that makes it our first choice PL team who all should have been resting.

He gets as much credit as a manager can get for beating a nobody team with a (very nearly) full strength PL team. Same tactical naivety led us to (as has been mentioned above) needing to score from a set piece and then against 10 men. Not to mention that the game was changed by the player he inexplicably dropped.

That was as much as a full strength team as he could field wasn't it? Everyone else injured - that makes it our first choice PL team who all should have been resting.

He gets as much credit as a manager can get for beating a nobody team with a (very nearly) full strength PL team. Same tactical naivety led us to (as has been mentioned above) needing to score from a set piece and then against 10 men. Not to mention that the game was changed by the player he inexplicably dropped.

I reckon this thread is just a chance to have a bit of an argument. Everybody needs one now and again! And it can be entertaining.

What some find difficult, is that this guy has stepped into a difficult situation mid season when no alternatives were available. He's giving his all for the club, and actually done okay, yet the bile and hate for him knows no bounds. I think it is partly because some were infatuated with AVB and partly because Sherwood's style is not to their liking. Rational reasoning doesn't seem to come into it. We were shi1 or worse with the same players under AVB. I think its at best distasteful that some are campaigning to undermine him while he's in the job, and changing his name to insult him. Humans can reach pretty low when it comes to discrimination and abuse of others.

Jeez...tough crowd.

We were dead an buried in that match after they scored. So to come back and knock 3 past them, and it could have been more if Soldado had finished a few of his chances, is fine by me.

Special mention for Harry Kane who is biggest time waster I've ever seen, and I mean that in a good way :)

Jeez...tough crowd.

We were dead an buried in that match after they scored. So to come back and knock 3 past them, and it could have been more if Soldado had finished a few of his chances, is fine by me.

Special mention for Harry Kane who is biggest time waster I've ever seen, and I mean that in a good way :)

Yeah that was good by Kane wasn't it.

top work from Kane again, gets the ball laid off to him in the box, he's a young forward trying to break into the first team and what does he do? the right thing, even JD would have been smashing that towards the goal

I've nothing against Tim but I do think we are on the verge of a very bad run of form. The results have been good under him but much better than performances. Last night, we were really, really poor when we went 3-1 up. They could have had a couple and they were playing with 10. We were poor on the ball and all over the place at the back.

Tim won't get us top 4 and he won't win us the Europa League. We'll be taken apart by better sides. The question is, do we want a new manager or do we give Tim time to develop? I'm on the fence at the minute but I have no expectation for the rest of the season.

You make a fair point, it probably was the strongest team he could pick. It's still not our full strength team though, and again he picks the team in order to go out and win the tie. The team done that, and he has to be given at least some credit for it. You can be certain that if he'd sent the youth team out and we'd gone out he would have been heavily criticised.

Eriksen did change the game, and he has dropped him in previous games (which I don't agree with either). But in every game he picks a team to go out and win the game. In this case he scores the goal that turns the game round for us then sets up the other. Rather than TS getting praise for picking him, it's used as a stick to beat him with for not playing him in the previous games.

You make a fair point, it probably was the strongest team he could pick. It's still not our full strength team though, and again he picks the team in order to go out and win the tie. The team done that, and he has to be given at least some credit for it. You can be certain that if he'd sent the youth team out and we'd gone out he would have been heavily criticised.

Yeah, I think we were coming at that statement from different angles. I believe your point was that there were some players unavailable to him (true). Mine was that he picked all the PL starters he could have (also true but IMO bad because we need to concentrate on the PL until 4th is gone).

Eriksen did change the game, and he has dropped him in previous games (which I don't agree with either). But in every game he picks a team to go out and win the game. In this case he scores the goal that turns the game round for us then sets up the other. Rather than TS getting praise for picking him, it's used as a stick to beat him with for not playing him in the previous games.

That's fair enough - he had already received the abuse for dropping one of our best players. Again, he seems to have fixed his mistake but I'm concerned that he's learning these things whilst in charge of our team.

I am well and truly utterly staggered at people defending Tim and that performance. People can't see past the result, the pretty paper over the HUGE CRACKS. March will kill off our season... It's annoying, I'm usually incredibly positive about spurts, always think we'll finish above arsenal and win a cup. Even up to AVB being sacked... Tim has absolutely destroyed it for me. I have literally not hated another rampager as much as this. However awful Pleat, Sanitini, Gross etc were, they didn't do this to me!!

The players need to pick up the pace on the decision making after a turnover in play. The tempo we played in the second half was quicker, and that's why we looked better.

That almost sounds like a direct quote from Sherwood. In other words, I think Sherwood would agree with you. Why he couldn't get the players to do this is another question.

Yeah, I think we were coming at that statement from different angles. I believe your point was that there were some players unavailable to him (true). Mine was that he picked all the PL starters he could have (also true but IMO bad because we need to concentrate on the PL until 4th is gone).

That's fair enough - he had already received the abuse for dropping one of our best players. Again, he seems to have fixed his mistake but I'm concerned that he's learning these things whilst in charge of our team.

But he can't learn from mistakes until he makes them and he couldn't make those mistakes if he wasn't in charge. Now I'm confused :)

But he can't learn from mistakes until he makes them and he couldn't make those mistakes if he wasn't in charge. Now I'm confused :)

He can learn from those mistakes at a club that can afford to make them. Then when he has experience and has proven he has some kind of talent he can ply that trade at a club like ours.

At the risk of nit-picking, I am not sure that team did contain all the PL starters. Bentaleb and Paulinho have been pretty much ever present under Sherwood, as has Lennon.

I think what the anti-Sherwood phalanx are most worried about is Tim doing just well enough to get another season. They want him to either prove straight away he is the Messiah, or they want him to be a very naughty boy. They don't consider the first outcome to be very likely on the evidence of what they have seen so far, and so are hoping, consciously or sub-consciously, for a disastrous run of 2 points from 8 games. Such a run, while it may be painful to endure, could end up bringing about a change in management that is more to their liking.

Or 'Arry coming back ... ;)

All have the club's best interests at heart. Some, in the words of Bonnie Tyler, are holding out for a hero. Some, in the words of Steve Tyler, say: dream on.

Back