• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Tim Sherwood…gone \o/

Do you want Tim Sherwood to stay as manager?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Re: Tim Sherwood - Head Coach

How in gods name is Lennon the least of our problems? We struggle to create goals, if anything we should look to the attacking players to see who's not creating anything. And Lennon hasn't achieved the potential he had, it says something when the most used compliment about an attacking player is 'he puts in a good defensive shift'.

Naughton did perfectly fine, and rose got sold out by a massive error by bentelab. The weren't that bad. We conceded a single goal. Our issues were further up the pitch.

exactly, with a side that includes Eriksen, Dembele, Paulinho, Lennon, Lamela, Soldado, Ade, and you think it's a individual player issue?

Naughton/Rose are players that need replacing, the remaining players both defensively and attacking need a system to work with.

exactly, with a side that includes Eriksen, Dembele, Paulinho, Lennon, Lamela, Soldado, Ade, and you think it's a individual player issue?

Naughton/Rose are players that need replacing, the remaining players both defensively and attacking need a system to work with.

Of those players, the only ones I'd consider to be particularly creative are Erikson, lamela and ade when he's on song. So yes, it is down to player issues as well as system issues. If you have a large number of players on the pitch who can't create, you're unlikely to have many opportunities.

Lennon bears the brunt of my frustrations because he's been failing in this regard for a number of years.

Does anyone think that the players are bulking up too much, I've noticed that a lot of the players are really adding lots of upper body muscle. Would this not impact them, there quickness, there agility. Dembele looks slower than Huddlestone was after 60 minutes.. yeah I said that.

I've noticed the above since the move to the new facility.. look at Rose now and Rose three years back when he scored that volley, Lennon also, he has bulked up and I feel he has lost his main weapon because of it. Is the squad doing too much on the physical side, and not working on things like stamina, intensity etc.

Maybe its that we don't have the right mix any more. Of the speed types, its like everyone is moving towards physicality, which means we play with a slow, deliberate way.

Does anyone think that the players are bulking up too much, I've noticed that a lot of the players are really adding lots of upper body muscle. Would this not impact them, there quickness, there agility. Dembele looks slower than Huddlestone was after 60 minutes.. yeah I said that.

I've noticed the above since the move to the new facility.. look at Rose now and Rose three years back when he scored that volley, Lennon also, he has bulked up and I feel he has lost his main weapon because of it. Is the squad doing too much on the physical side, and not working on things like stamina, intensity etc.

Maybe its that we don't have the right mix any more. Of the speed types, its like everyone is moving towards physicality, which means we play with a slow, deliberate way.

Maybe its just them maturing? remember we have had some of them since they were teenagers.

It's wrong though. In terms of mobility there is no real comparison. There may be a case that Hudd has some better attributes than Dembele but moving is not be one of them. Let me also add that I am a massive fan of Huddlestone and was truly gutted when we sold him but Dembele ****es all over him running with the ball or without it. Hiuddlestone is still the best passer by a country mile though.

As for your general point on the players looking a bit beefy, then yes you might have a point, but then again maybe their shirts are just tighter :-k

Tim Sherwood is the man!

TS should be given 2 full seasons.
We are roughly where we should be in the table and there is maybe only a handful of managers in the world who would take over under the same circumstance and have us higher in the league than TS.
If you think TS should come straight into the PREMIER LEAGUE amongst the best teams and players in the country and change us overnight - in mid season - with no experience - DURING THE TIGHTEST TITLE RACE IN YEARS, then you dont live on planet earth, or maybe you should go apply for the job yourself if think its that easy. We are 10 points off 1st in the most difficult league in the world and still in sight of Liverpool who have a settled manager, settled team and the most lethal strike partnership. The 4 managers above TS have all had pre seasons, bought there own players and except for Pellegrini (who has the richest and best squad) have years of premiership experience with their current team and yet can only separate themselves from Tim by 10 points or less.

If he is doing this well now then he will only get better. If he leaves, he will succeed elsewhere and in time we will regret what we lost.

This isnt Championship Manager - in real life with all the variables success in football takes time, playing time, mistakes, more mistakes, pre seasons, money, and a whole lot more.

Right now, with this squad and the current climate (form, injuries, new players settling etc) we shouldnt be asking/expecting for much more. Unless you seem to think there are not 4 teams better than us and we should by some divine right with players like Rose Dawson and Naughton be in the top 3 or 4.

Last edited:
Re: Tim Sherwood is the man!

you are of course entitled to your opinion..but shouldn't this be posted in the Tim Sherwood thread? IBTL

Re: Tim Sherwood is the man!

TS should be given 2 full seasons.
We are roughly where we should be in the table and there is maybe only a handful of managers in the world who would take over under the same circumstance and have us higher in the league than TS.
If you think TS should come straight into the PREMIER LEAGUE amongst the best teams and players in the country and change us overnight - in mid season - with no experience - DURING THE TIGHTEST TITLE RACE IN YEARS, then you dont live on planet earth, or maybe you should go apply for the job yourself if think its that easy. We are 10 points off 1st in the most difficult league in the world and still in sight of Liverpool who have a settled manager, settled team and the most lethal strike partnership. The 4 managers above TS have all had pre seasons, bought there own players and except for Pellegrini (who has the richest and best squad) have years of premiership experience with their current team and yet can only separate themselves from Tim by 10 points or less.

If he is doing this well now then he will only get better. If he leaves, he will succeed elsewhere and in time we will regret what we lost.

This isnt Championship Manager - in real life with all the variables success in football takes time, playing time, mistakes, more mistakes, pre seasons, money, and a whole lot more.

Right now, with this squad and the current climate (form, injuries, new players settling etc) we shouldnt be asking/expecting for much more. Unless you seem to think there are not 4 teams better than us and we should by some divine right with players like Rose Dawson and Naughton be in the top 3 or 4.

I kinda agree that he's done about as well as can be expected under difficult circumstances.

I see no supporting rationale for your statement that he will only get better though, how on earth can you claim this with any certainty?

Come the summer it will be about finding the best solution, no manager will ever be given two years regardless of performances and results. If Sherwood is chosen by Levy I will support him, but if Levy feels that the best man to take us forward is someone else I will support that too.

As many others on here I was willing to give TS a chance (didn't have a choice, really), but yesterday was a disastrous managing performance. When we desperately needed creativity, Eriksen remains on the bench. We were **** for 60-70 minutes - absolute dog**** - before he even made a change, when everyone could see that the 11 men on the pitch had been going nowhere for the entire game.

Two strikers worked well for about three minutes; unfortunately Soldado's shooting boots are still in Spain, otherwise we could have gotten lucky and held the mighty Norwich to a draw. But he missed, and we kept on banging our collective and clueless head into Norwich's defensive wall. We were DESPERATELY in need of creativity - not Townsend, a good player on his day, but more likely to shoot from 50 yards than to play the killer pass inbetween the defenders that we were so sorely missing.

Bentaleb - I like the kid, and he's done well for us overall - but he's not the Messiah that Timmeh seems to think. At least not yet. I'm happy to see youngsters playing, but not for the sake of them being youngsters. Time for a rest.

Lloris and Vertonghen - thanks and good luck wherever you go next seson. The shaking of heads...I fully understand. How frustrating must it be to see the shower of ****e in front of them, with a bunch of relatively talented players running around like headless chickens with no structure, no system and no game plan. It's a ****ing shame that we will lose these to great players (I'm certain they will move on), and can only hope Levy will shift them abroad.

As for Levy...what a massive, massive mistake sacking AVB in the middle of the season was. He had his faults, and things were certainly not going as well as we expected, but at least he seemed to have some sort of plan and system to how we were playing. Boring to watch? Yes. But not shockingly devoid of any form of tactics like yesterday. Not giving AVB until the end of the season, and then replacing him with a proper manager (or even kept him, had the results picked up), is the stupidest mistake Levy has made as a chairman of this club.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing, of course, but you don't have to be a rocket scientist to see that getting rid of a manager that was average at the very worst, and replacing him with a former player with no - zero - top level managing experience, was a hell of a gamble. Right now our only hope is that Adebayor somehow fires us into the CL (highly unlikely!), which allows us to keep our best players and attract a proper manager with a vision, a system and a game plant to take us further again.

[/RANT]

How in gods name is Lennon the least of our problems? We struggle to create goals, if anything we should look to the attacking players to see who's not creating anything. And Lennon hasn't achieved the potential he had, it says something when the most used compliment about an attacking player is 'he puts in a good defensive shift'.

Naughton did perfectly fine, and rose got sold out by a massive error by bentelab. The weren't that bad. We conceded a single goal. Our issues were further up the pitch.

Naughton did as much as he could for his level of ability however he's a very average full back. On several occasions Lennon was in space tucked inside - literally no Norwich player within 10 yards but Naughton chose a safe ball backwards rather than trying to find Lennon (wasn't a difficult pass on those occasions). That has a massive impact on your attacking impetus.
Rose - Bentaleb made the initial error but he made very little effort to chase back. If he'd got his backside in gear and actually moved he would've got back in time and stopped the shot.

I like benteleb a lot got a lot of promise but a club going for the title/top 4 shouldn't be relying on a 19 year old player to their holding player,its just penny pinching at the most......when will sandro play a full season well at least a few months without getting injured,can his injuries be sorted out once and for all.

As many others on here I was willing to give TS a chance (didn't have a choice, really), but yesterday was a disastrous managing performance. When we desperately needed creativity, Eriksen remains on the bench. We were **** for 60-70 minutes - absolute dog**** - before he even made a change, when everyone could see that the 11 men on the pitch had been going nowhere for the entire game.

Two strikers worked well for about three minutes; unfortunately Soldado's shooting boots are still in Spain, otherwise we could have gotten lucky and held the mighty Norwich to a draw. But he missed, and we kept on banging our collective and clueless head into Norwich's defensive wall. We were DESPERATELY in need of creativity - not Townsend, a good player on his day, but more likely to shoot from 50 yards than to play the killer pass inbetween the defenders that we were so sorely missing.

Bentaleb - I like the kid, and he's done well for us overall - but he's not the Messiah that Timmeh seems to think. At least not yet. I'm happy to see youngsters playing, but not for the sake of them being youngsters. Time for a rest.

Lloris and Vertonghen - thanks and good luck wherever you go next seson. The shaking of heads...I fully understand. How frustrating must it be to see the shower of ****e in front of them, with a bunch of relatively talented players running around like headless chickens with no structure, no system and no game plan. It's a ****ing shame that we will lose these to great players (I'm certain they will move on), and can only hope Levy will shift them abroad.

As for Levy...what a massive, massive mistake sacking AVB in the middle of the season was. He had his faults, and things were certainly not going as well as we expected, but at least he seemed to have some sort of plan and system to how we were playing. Boring to watch? Yes. But not shockingly devoid of any form of tactics like yesterday. Not giving AVB until the end of the season, and then replacing him with a proper manager (or even kept him, had the results picked up), is the stupidest mistake Levy has made as a chairman of this club.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing, of course, but you don't have to be a rocket scientist to see that getting rid of a manager that was average at the very worst, and replacing him with a former player with no - zero - top level managing experience, was a hell of a gamble. Right now our only hope is that Adebayor somehow fires us into the CL (highly unlikely!), which allows us to keep our best players and attract a proper manager with a vision, a system and a game plant to take us further again.

[/RANT]

No reason to think that AVB would have done any better than Sherwood.

Going by reports I don't think AVB left Levy with much of a choice, he was falling out with players and backroom staff, he had reportedly even fallen out with Baldini - the DoF/technical director he himself wanted to work with. He was asked to at least considering bringing Ade back, and refused. He was seemingly freezing out Freund.

I don't think it would have turned around under AVB, the odds were heavily stacked against him and our signs of improvements were falling behind our signs of collapse in frequency.

Sherwood was a gamble, but one worth taking imo. Try to make something happen. Levy obviously tried for a couple of proven managers at least, but when our targets weren't gettable he decided to give Sherwood a chance and keeping his options firmly open for the summer. I think it was a good choice in the circumstances.

As for the tactical decisions yesterday, I think they're outweighed by the motivational factors.

Bentaleb was our either our man of the match or close to it against Saudi Sportswashing Machine, he's certainly no messiah, but he's deserved to keep his place so far.

Tim Sherwood - Head Coach

Ok let's ignore avb for a moment.

It was a dire performance all round with no positives for me ....except that it showed up Tim's inexperience and worse still poor decision making for a person who claims to know spurs and the way we play through and through.

Maybe those coaching badges so count for something.

Since levy is so imaginative with how the club should be run, it surely is in his powers to let freund run the first team for a while.

bit of a pointless comment but ill say it anyway. what does inexperience have to do with substitutions? as fans we have never managed the club so if we can see from our arm chair that subs need to be made surely so can the manager. there obviously a method to his madness - maybe, eriksen isnt as fit as he hopes or maybe he was poor in training this week or maybe etc etc etc. who knows. no job, business, sport etc is ever as basic as it seems from the outside

bit of a pointless comment but ill say it anyway. what does inexperience have to do with substitutions? as fans we have never managed the club so if we can see from our arm chair that subs need to be made surely so can the manager. there obviously a method to his madness - maybe, eriksen isnt as fit as he hopes or maybe he was poor in training this week or maybe etc etc etc. who knows. no job, business, sport etc is ever as basic as it seems from the outside

You're quite right. Stupidity will always come through no matter how much experience.

No reason to think that AVB would have done any better than Sherwood.

Going by reports I don't think AVB left Levy with much of a choice, he was falling out with players and backroom staff, he had reportedly even fallen out with Baldini - the DoF/technical director he himself wanted to work with. He was asked to at least considering bringing Ade back, and refused. He was seemingly freezing out Freund.

I don't think it would have turned around under AVB, the odds were heavily stacked against him and our signs of improvements were falling behind our signs of collapse in frequency.

Sherwood was a gamble, but one worth taking imo. Try to make something happen. Levy obviously tried for a couple of proven managers at least, but when our targets weren't gettable he decided to give Sherwood a chance and keeping his options firmly open for the summer. I think it was a good choice in the circumstances.

As for the tactical decisions yesterday, I think they're outweighed by the motivational factors.

Bentaleb was our either our man of the match or close to it against Saudi Sportswashing Machine, he's certainly no messiah, but he's deserved to keep his place so far.

Not picking on you specifically, but that's the difference between a fan view and a business view.

You DONT take a gamble on a 120M a year business

Back