• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Tim Sherwood…gone \o/

Do you want Tim Sherwood to stay as manager?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Re: Tim Sherwood - Head Coach

Both the Dembele and Verts info was given to me in confidence by a good source at the club. Cannot independently verify, but doesn't sound way off the mark.

Verts' agent needs sacking if he handed in a transfer request and it wasn't leaked to the press.

As I said, the players have responded positively to TS.

Have they? Again, what does a positively responding player look like? How would you know that from other changes, and why do you feel you are well placed to make those judgements?

I think we need to try and move away from comparing every little thing about Sherwood to AVB. let his successes or his failures be judged own their own merits

Your as much a fanboy of TS as I'm anti-TS. I'm just not blowing smoke up his butt yet. I'm giving him that time as well (though not claimimg he could be our very own cloughie as you did after 3 games....)

It's as much speculation to say AVB would have achieved success here as saying TS will.
In fact, it is also wild speculation by you to say AVB constantly had 'man-management' issues - not unless you're going to say that Redknapp, Jol, Ramos etc also had them as well

Exactly. So why do you rush to every defense of AVB and criticize TS at every opportunity? Just try and be evenhanded. I didnt say he WAS going to be our Cloughie. I said he could be. Only time will tell. You had already written him off before that iirc.

Are you confirming that you are anti TS and unequivocally pro AVB?

Pretty much, yes.

Regular qualification has to be the minimum target - one-off qualification doesn't make that any more likely to happen. In fact, our recent history would suggest that one-off qualification makes it less likely.

If he'd had time to fully implement the system he wanted to then I think we'd have had a very good chance, yes. It's impossible to say something would or wouldn't have happened, but IMO the right steps were being taken to get there.

I'll state again though, as you must have missed it before - simply motivating our players will only get us into the CL if two or more of the richer clubs **** up. We need a long-term system in order to get past them permanently. IMO AVB was implementing a system that will do that, hopefully soon we'll employ a manager who can do that.

Do you really hold the viewpoint that it's all down to players now having been here for 6 months? If you do then which particular players do you feel have suddenly had that '6 month light bulb on' moment that coincided with the new manager taking over?

Also qualifying for the Champions League once makes it MUCH easier to then achieve regular qualification. If we qualify for the Champions League this season then we stand a better chance of the likes of Lloris, Vertonghen, Paulinho, Sandro, etc wanting to stay at the club. We should also be able to attract a better class of player, our revenue also increases so that we have the opportunity to spend more money on transfer fees.

In the three years since Redknapp qualified us for our single Champions league season we have finished:

5th - 6 points off qualification place.
4th - 1 point off 3rd place & qualification taken away through means beynod our control.
5th - 1 point off qualification place.

The one off qualification sets you up to be able to have an attempt at a sustained run, otherwise you constantly have the cycle of losing your best players.

How do players who like/respect their manager look? How do players who are enjoying their football look?​
I would say that players who like/respect their manager continue to work hard for the whole game even if they are losing comphrensively.... I was appalled at our players demeanor on the pitch against Emirates Marketing Project at the Etihad and in our spanking at WHL by Liverpool. Getting a proper tonking will always put the manager under pressure and it appeared to me as though the players didn't care about this.

The way I see it there will always be a number of players that like the manager and a few players that don't , this will be the same with pretty much any manager at any club (unless they come in and do a Cloughie at Leeds of course). Typically the players who like the manager are the ones who are in his plans and those that dislike the manager tend to be ones that aren't. The key is for the manager to be able to ensure that he can still get a good performance out of the players who don't like him.

Or ****-kissing the new boss because he wants a starting place.​
Or perhaps Kaboul genuinely holds those thoughts about Sherwood? From what I have heard around the place many people at the club had been impressed with Sherwood and thought he was likely to be a future manager. I find it interesting that you feel Kaboul must be sucking up to the manager simply because his thoughts differ from yours.

What was important is that after a dozen games, Timmeh showed signs that he's slowly learning his lessons and performed more like a professional in his approach to the match.​
This is an interesting take on things.... I think Sherwood has learnt lessons very quickly. He has regularly changed our formation, personell and shape for games to good effect. The Southampton match early on in his tenure was a good example of this. I don't think he has a real set way of playing - he talks about attacking football and no need for defensive midfielders because they are good 'Spurs' type soundbites I think, however it seems to me as though he is quite adaptable in terms of his football philosophy with one simple ethos which is that he won't be a 'safety first' type manager.

Now I defy you to tell me with a straight face that anyone with a fully functioning brain could stand being in the company of Jamie Redknapp for more than a few seconds.
I trust that you haver never had a conversation with Jamie Redknapp? He is actually a thoroughly nice guy, polite, engaging and intelligent. I wouldn't mind get stuck in a broken down lift with Jamie Redknapp and talking football for a few hours.... My wife said that she would be even more keen to get stuck in a lift with him.... although I can't think why - because she hates football!

Have they? Again, what does a positively responding player look like? How would you know that from other changes, and why do you feel you are well placed to make those judgements?

And why do you feel well placed to say otherwise? To say the players haven't responded positively to TS is to deny the evidence of your own eyes.

Exactly. So why do you rush to every defense of AVB and criticize TS at every opportunity? Just try and be evenhanded. I didnt say he WAS going to be our Cloughie. I said he could be. Only time will tell. You had already written him off before that iirc.

that's exactly what he is doing - by countering your lopsided criticism of AVB.

your opening line there could quite easily be reversed and aimed at you and ironicaly it would probably be more apt.

I trust that you haver never had a conversation with Jamie Redknapp? He is actually a thoroughly nice guy, polite, engaging and intelligent. I wouldn't mind get stuck in a broken down lift with Jamie Redknapp and talking football for a few hours.... My wife said that she would be even more keen to get stuck in a lift with him.... although I can't think why - because she hates football!

:lol:

I don't rush to every defence of AVB and criticize TS at every opportunity. I am defending AVB from the ridiculous man-management crap you've spouted today, pure and simple.
You saying TS could be our new cloughie after 3 games is evenhanded? Or just plain biased (or based on blind faith)?

I didn't expect much from TS but have given praise when due.

As I said, I am as much an 'anti-TS' as you are a 'TS Fanboy'.
That is if you are NOT a 'TS Fanboy' then I am not an 'anti-TS'

I was pro-AVB but like any manager he wasn't immune from criticism. I just disagree with some of the nonsense that some like you today say about him and his 'man-management issues'

And why do you feel well placed to say otherwise? To say the players haven't responded positively to TS is to deny the evidence of your own eyes.

I didn't claim otherwise so I don't need to back it up.

You claimed to see things in our players that I think you (and any other outsider for that matter) are incapable of seeing.

that's exactly what he is doing - by countering your lopsided criticism of AVB.

your opening line there could quite easily be reversed and aimed at you and ironicaly it would probably be more apt.

Suggest you take your own advice ( see above).

I didn't claim otherwise so I don't need to back it up.

You claimed to see things in our players that I think you (and any other outsider for that matter) are incapable of seeing.

So are you denying that the players have responded positively to TS?

I don't rush to every defence of AVB and criticize TS at every opportunity. I am defending AVB from the ridiculous man-management crap you've spouted today, pure and simple.
You saying TS could be our new cloughie after 3 games is evenhanded? Or just plain biased (or based on blind faith)?

I didn't expect much from TS but have given praise when due.

As I said, I am as much an 'anti-TS' as you are a 'TS Fanboy'.
That is if you are NOT a 'TS Fanboy' then I am not an 'anti-TS'

I was pro-AVB but like any manager he wasn't immune from criticism. I just disagree with some of the nonsense that some like you today say about him and his 'man-management issues'

If you are going to quote me, please quote me in full. I said he could be our Cloughie or he could be a failure, only time would tell. You, Scara and GB branded him a failure before he had even started.

Suggest you take your own advice ( see above).

if you can point me in the direction where i have compared Sherwood to AVB then id gladly take a spoonful.

i think if there has been anything consistent with my posting on the matter it's that ive repeatedly stated that comparisons between the two are futile - so im not entirely sure of your point there mate

Can you not perhaps tell by the way we are playing and the effort the players are giving?

Maybe if you ruled out the hundreds of other factors that could cause that.

Another question (sorry, lots I know);

How would you differentiate effort from being told to run a lot?

I think we need to try and move away from comparing every little thing about Sherwood to AVB. let his successes or his failures be judged own their own merits

You asked everyone to move away from making comparisons.

The very next statement you made was about Sherwood and AVB!

You requested that Sherwood be judged on his merits. To that, I say here here. Why haven't you picked up on those that haven't done just that.

This is the TS thread after all, and the sooner we put all references to AVB to bed, the happier I will be.

Maybe if you ruled out the hundreds of other factors that could cause that.

Another question (sorry, lots I know);

How would you differentiate effort from being told to run a lot?

Are you being deliberately cantankerous and argumentative for the sake of it? Don't even know how to start to respond to that quite ridiculous question.

Back