• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Tim Sherwood…gone \o/

Do you want Tim Sherwood to stay as manager?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Re: Tim Sherwood - Head Coach

I would say the question of respect for a coach is extremely relevant. TS seems to have it from the players, who look like they are enjoying their football under him, I am not sure AVB did have the respect of the players. To me at least, the players really didn't look like they enjoyed the football under AVB.

When players are winning everything is rosy. We are winning so the question of respect is not so much an issue...though there were quotes about apparently from Capoue which some would argue may show a lack of respect...basically any player going 'off-message/controversial' could be perceived as showing a lack of respect..

When players are winning and a team is challenging near the top, for cups etc, it all looks good. A better time to judge is perhaps when things are not going so well results wise.

I really don't know where you get this idea that the players didn't respect AVB; at least any less than any of our recent managers.
Have you any actual examples to show this 'lack of respect'?
I'm sorry but unless you have some clear examples (and you are not simply using Ade as your 'proof') it seems this is an idea purely in your own head

i have it on good authority that the players were fully made up with the AVB appointment and genuinely liked the guy - you only have to look at his and Bales mutual affection which was on display several times last season to see that. It may possibly have turned a bit sour this season (can't see him being sacked if the players were in full support of him at the time) but i think you may be overlooking last season a fair bit Pirate and what seemed to be a very strong squad harmony. Sherwood has been here a fraction of a seasons length so far so there's no real comparison at this time.

Thank you

Younes Kaboul believes Tim Sherwood's White Hart Lane history is behind his great start to life as Tottenham head coach.

Sherwood replaced Andre Villas-Boas in December following five years on the coaching staff at White Hart Lane and has collected seven wins from his 12 games in charge in all competitions as Tottenham continue their challenge for a UEFA Champions League place next season.

Having worked closely with the first time throughout his time at Tottenham, Kaboul feels the 45-year-old is the perfect man to lead the club.

Tottenham have been linked with a move for a more experienced head coach at the end of the season, with Louis van Gaal reported to be a candidate, but defender Kaboul would rather Sherwood was given a chance.

"He deserves it," the Frenchman told the Evening Standard. "He knows the club well, he's been here for a long time and he knows exactly what he's doing.

"He learned a lot in the past and the best fact is that he played football at a high level. His playing career is important, because he knows what it is like for us.

"We don't waste time on other stuff, because he went through everything and he understands
. He knows the game perfectly. I remember that when Harry Redknapp was manager (from 2008-2012), Tim and (coaches) Les Ferdinand and Chris Ramsey would come to nearly every game.

"Wherever we were playing, it didn't matter; they would be there. They would talk to us about how to deal better with certain situations on the pitch and even then, I could see Tim becoming a manager. He just had to be patient and wait for his chance."

http://www.fourfourtwo.com/au/news/kaboul-not-surprised-see-sherwood-flourish#3f1eC5hZGtiAkBKj.99
definite dig at AVB

Or ****-kissing the new boss because he wants a starting place.
how about if he just said this and this alone, is it enough **** kissing for you???............."yeah Tim is great, I could telll he would be a manager one day. He knows the game perfectly. I remember that when Harry Redknapp was manager (from 2008-2012), Tim and (coaches) Les Ferdinand and Chris Ramsey would come to nearly every game.

"Wherever we were playing, it didn't matter; they would be there. They would talk to us about how to deal better with certain situations on the pitch and even then, I could see Tim becoming a manager. He just had to be patient and wait for his chance."
.............no need for an AVB dig was there:-k

how about if he just said this and this alone, is it enough **** kissing for you???............."yeah Tim is great, I could telll he would be a manager one day. He knows the game perfectly. I remember that when Harry Redknapp was manager (from 2008-2012), Tim and (coaches) Les Ferdinand and Chris Ramsey would come to nearly every game.

.............no need for an AVB dig was there:-k

That's plenty good ****-kissing. Should get him a start against FC somenobodyUEFAclub at least ;)

Pretty much, yes.

I respectfully disagree, can't see how anyone who has knowledge of the game would think differently. But, we'll have to agree to disagree.

Regular qualification has to be the minimum target - one-off qualification doesn't make that any more likely to happen. In fact, our recent history would suggest that one-off qualification makes it less likely.

If he'd had time to fully implement the system he wanted to then I think we'd have had a very good chance, yes. It's impossible to say something would or wouldn't have happened, but IMO the right steps were being taken to get there.

I'll state again though, as you must have missed it before - simply motivating our players will only get us into the CL if two or more of the richer clubs **** up. We need a long-term system in order to get past them permanently. IMO AVB was implementing a system that will do that, hopefully soon we'll employ a manager who can do that.

Statement in bold is a ridiculous statement. Also, how can it possibly make it less likely?

I haven't missed it at all, you're mis-interpreting my arguement which is that TS may have more to him than just motivating the players (something you seemingly decided the day he took over). None of us know this yet, but only time will tell.

You've made an assessment that AVB was implementing a system that would have had us qualify for CL regularly after 18 months of watching him spend one season with the best player in the league (and not qualify), then 6 months struggling to score goals. Anyone that challenges this is told he simply 'needed more time', 'didn't have Ade' or 'the players hadn't settled'. But you've have made an assessment that TS will not create any kind of system at all after 6 games of watching him.

Explain to me how you can make that assessment?

Swansea had more shots than us, more of the ball than us, had the ball in the final third more than us.

And yet they still lost. They sound pretty much like AVB's Spurs, then.

No wonder they sacked their manager. Another sharp dressing, smooth looking, foreign accented operator who has rapidly hit the buffers in all his appointments.

I seem to recall a lot of clamour to get him in at Spurs. Some people never learn.

Ok, here goes...

I thought last night was Timmeh's first good performance in the job

- Correct team
- 5 across the middle, including 3 of the big boys
- A proper DM
- A high line
- Better possession/slightly more controlled (we even hit 50%)
- Positional discipline was getting closer to normal
- Pressing was more energetic

Perhaps now he's made his point about being the anti-AVB, no one will notice if he slyly starts imitating him a bit. ;-)

Yeah, it's great that Tim has finally started to replicate all those 0-4 away wins we got accustomed to under ABV.

I think you've invented a new comedy art form beyond parody.

i have it on good authority that the players were fully made up with the AVB appointment and genuinely liked the guy - you only have to look at his and Bales mutual affection which was on display several times last season to see that. It may possibly have turned a bit sour this season (can't see him being sacked if the players were in full support of him at the time) but i think you may be overlooking last season a fair bit Pirate and what seemed to be a very strong squad harmony. Sherwood has been here a fraction of a seasons length so far so there's no real comparison at this time.

Remember AVB specially made Kaboul captain on his first match back (even though Dawson was playing), to acknowledge the hard work he'd put in getting himself back to fitness.

Tbh if 'he knows where the canteen is' and 'Tony Parks told me he was a mediocre player here in the 90s apparently' are the best things Kaboul can think to say about Timmeh's coaching, isn't that damning with faint praise?

Yeah, it's great that Tim has finally started to replicate all those 0-4 away wins we got accustomed to under ABV.

I think you've invented a new comedy art form beyond parody.

Come on - Saudi Sportswashing Machine are in the worst form in the league at the moment. The victory/scoreline weren't important/in doubt.

What was important is that after a dozen games, Timmeh showed signs that he's slowly learning his lessons and performed more like a professional in his approach to the match.

Remember AVB specially made Kaboul captain on his first match back (even though Dawson was playing), to acknowledge the hard work he'd put in getting himself back to fitness.

Tbh if 'he knows where the canteen is' and 'Tony Parks told me he was a mediocre player here in the 90s apparently' are the best things Kaboul can think to say about Timmeh's coaching, isn't that damning with faint praise?
:lol: stop it

Come on - Saudi Sportswashing Machine are in the worst form in the league at the moment. The victory/scoreline weren't important/in doubt.

What was important is that after a dozen games, Timmeh showed signs that he's slowly learning his lessons and performed more like a professional in his approach to the match.
what, like when West Ham came to the Lane earlier in the season on the back of 2 goals, 2pts in 5 league games and still managed to spank us 3-0???

When players are winning everything is rosy. We are winning so the question of respect is not so much an issue...though there were quotes about apparently from Capoue which some would argue may show a lack of respect...basically any player going 'off-message/controversial' could be perceived as showing a lack of respect..

When players are winning and a team is challenging near the top, for cups etc, it all looks good. A better time to judge is perhaps when things are not going so well results wise.

I really don't know where you get this idea that the players didn't respect AVB; at least any less than any of our recent managers.
Have you any actual examples to show this 'lack of respect'?
I'm sorry but unless you have some clear examples (and you are not simply using Ade as your 'proof') it seems this is an idea purely in your own head

I think you will find that AVB had not exactly exemplary records with Ade, Thudd, Lloris, Dembele, Verts, BAE, Lamela to name a few. How many other top managers do you know that have so many issues with so many players in such a short time?

You haven't backed it up at all. Just for clarification, here's the statement I asked you to back up:

Telling me that AVB hasn't proven himself with the same team over more than a single season couldn't be less relevant. I may as well have asked you for a mathematical proof and you responded with "Yellow".

We are talking about respect for a coach. I have said that AVB has neither the playing career nor the management career that would immediately demand respect from players. His "one season wonders" could possibly be the Forest Gump effect of simply being in the right place at the right time. We won't know this until he has earns respect by being at a club for more than one year and achieve success over a sustained period with one team, that is all. He could be a great coach in time, but we simply don't know this yet. Exactly the same with TS.

I think you will find that AVB had not exactly exemplary records with Ade, Thudd, Lloris, Dembele, Verts, BAE, Lamela to name a few. How many other top managers do you know that have so many issues with so many players in such a short time?

Ade, - well is AVB the first manager to have an issue? No
Thudd - what issue was there, apart from lack of playing time? In fact didn't Thudd play a lot in the last 10 games or so last season? When he did play was he not often off the pace in key games??
Lloris - he was/is clearly our no1 keeper; what issue was there??
Dembele/Verts - what issue was there??
BAE - What issue was there? It's not as if he was injured most of last season or anything...
Lamela - well if AVB had an 'issue' then TS has one too...

If you want go be a pedant, can somebody then say of Redknapp: - Piennar, Bentley, Pav, Bent, Krancjar, Corluka, VDV, Defoe??

As i said before unless you give CLEAR EXAMPLES and ones that other managers wouldn't have (i.e. balancing and rotating a large-ish squad) then you are just clutching straws and creating issue in your own head

We are talking about respect for a coach. I have said that AVB has neither the playing career nor the management career that would immediately demand respect from players. His "one season wonders" could possibly be the Forest Gump effect of simply being in the right place at the right time. We won't know this until he has earns respect by being at a club for more than one year and achieve success over a sustained period with one team, that is all. He could be a great coach in time, but we simply don't know this yet. Exactly the same with TS.

And I'm asking you to tell me why you think a playing career is relevant. For that matter, why would players respect a manager with zero experience more than one who's actually managed before and won stuff?

AVB just missed out on 4th by a point an got the highest points total we've ever had, plus the most away wins. That alone should have given him enough 'respect'.

Be honest it's YOU that doesn't respect AVB and you are trying to cover that by saying 'the players didn't' and are clutching every straw available to prove your wildly speculative theory

And I'm asking you to tell me why you think a playing career is relevant. For that matter, why would players respect a manager with zero experience more than one who's actually managed before and won stuff?

Yeah, I'm still waiting for an answer on that one too..:-"

Back