• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Tim Sherwood…gone \o/

Do you want Tim Sherwood to stay as manager?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Re: Tim Sherwood - Head Coach

hey AS, which do you disagree with?

GB' Points were:

- Correct team
- 5 across the middle, including 3 of the big boys
- A proper DM
- A high line
- Better possession/slightly more controlled (we even hit 50%)
- Positional discipline was getting closer to normal
- Pressing was more energetic

disagree with the idea that none of that stuff has been implemented before

The main thing AVB would have done differently was switched us to coast at 2-0 with the next game in mind, rather than go for dead rubber goals.

No, the the main thing AVB would have done differently, would be to not start Bentaleb or Adebayor and not create chances for Soldado, rely on long shots or an unjustified penalty, and when all else fails, try and settle for a 0-0 and fail.

Younes Kaboul believes Tim Sherwood's White Hart Lane history is behind his great start to life as Tottenham head coach.

Sherwood replaced Andre Villas-Boas in December following five years on the coaching staff at White Hart Lane and has collected seven wins from his 12 games in charge in all competitions as Tottenham continue their challenge for a UEFA Champions League place next season.

Having worked closely with the first time throughout his time at Tottenham, Kaboul feels the 45-year-old is the perfect man to lead the club.

Tottenham have been linked with a move for a more experienced head coach at the end of the season, with Louis van Gaal reported to be a candidate, but defender Kaboul would rather Sherwood was given a chance.

"He deserves it," the Frenchman told the Evening Standard. "He knows the club well, he's been here for a long time and he knows exactly what he's doing.

"He learned a lot in the past and the best fact is that he played football at a high level. His playing career is important, because he knows what it is like for us.

"We don't waste time on other stuff, because he went through everything and he understands. He knows the game perfectly. I remember that when Harry Redknapp was manager (from 2008-2012), Tim and (coaches) Les Ferdinand and Chris Ramsey would come to nearly every game.

"Wherever we were playing, it didn't matter; they would be there. They would talk to us about how to deal better with certain situations on the pitch and even then, I could see Tim becoming a manager. He just had to be patient and wait for his chance."

http://www.fourfourtwo.com/au/news/kaboul-not-surprised-see-sherwood-flourish#3f1eC5hZGtiAkBKj.99

Sometimes I do this at work, I may not agree but rather than butting heads I will try a different angle and approach some other direction and in the end the originator thinks it was their idea and that they got their way, but in reality I have done what is best for the company and do not need to get the plaudits etc.

Exactly this. It is a skill I never had when I was young but increasingly use now

Younes Kaboul believes Tim Sherwood's White Hart Lane history is behind his great start to life as Tottenham head coach.

Sherwood replaced Andre Villas-Boas in December following five years on the coaching staff at White Hart Lane and has collected seven wins from his 12 games in charge in all competitions as Tottenham continue their challenge for a UEFA Champions League place next season.

Having worked closely with the first time throughout his time at Tottenham, Kaboul feels the 45-year-old is the perfect man to lead the club.

Tottenham have been linked with a move for a more experienced head coach at the end of the season, with Louis van Gaal reported to be a candidate, but defender Kaboul would rather Sherwood was given a chance.

"He deserves it," the Frenchman told the Evening Standard. "He knows the club well, he's been here for a long time and he knows exactly what he's doing.

"He learned a lot in the past and the best fact is that he played football at a high level. His playing career is important, because he knows what it is like for us.

"We don't waste time on other stuff, because he went through everything and he understands. He knows the game perfectly. I remember that when Harry Redknapp was manager (from 2008-2012), Tim and (coaches) Les Ferdinand and Chris Ramsey would come to nearly every game.

"Wherever we were playing, it didn't matter; they would be there. They would talk to us about how to deal better with certain situations on the pitch and even then, I could see Tim becoming a manager. He just had to be patient and wait for his chance."

http://www.fourfourtwo.com/au/news/kaboul-not-surprised-see-sherwood-flourish#3f1eC5hZGtiAkBKj.99

Interesting. Does anyone think that there is some implied criticism of AVB here?

Exactly this. It is a skill I never had when I was young but increasingly use now

On this particular point, i see it a lot in 16-25 year olds that they need constant reassurance or when they do something right plaudits even for the smallest success, also something else i have observed is that they love to drop others in it if they make a mistake of some sort. I have a young lad work for me and he is always doing this.

Before anyone has a pop im not saying all kids are like this just a lot more then when i was that age, i blame it on reality t.v. but then i blame most things on reality t.v.

Interesting. Does anyone think that there is some implied criticism of AVB here?

you could definitely read it that way - but i remember reading similar things when AVB took charge "it's good to have more focus on tactics" etc and the same again when Redknapp took over from Ramos.

First thing i thought when i read it, the bit where he mentions redknapp then misses out avb and talks about sherwood and mentions how he has played the game.

I know papers like to stir up **** but if you read the interview the is only way to take it i think.

from that snippet personally not (I have not read the full article though), might just be me but I read that more as wanting to say something nice about the current bosses

if you want to stick the boot in you give an example referring to "other" managers

you could definitely read it that way - but i remember reading similar things when AVB took charge "it's good to have more focus on tactics" etc and the same again when Redknapp took over from Ramos.

You're right. He could just be blowing smoke up Sherwood

He could be, but more likely a swipe at AVB who didn't play at a high level

is that really a thing though, look at the major clubs in the major leagues right now,other than Munich and the 2 Madrid sides, which clubs managers were top players?

look at the PL, Jose, Pelligrini Wenger, Rodgers, Moyes, Martinez, where did they play?

even Ferguson, unquestionably the greatest football manager of all time never hit the heights as a player, Uniteds success owe more thanks to the shop stewarding on the dockyards than they do the front line of Dunfirmline, in time I'm sure Mourinho will overtake him and will probably never be surpassed, the skills for management are different from those of a player

He could be, but more likely a swipe at AVB who didn't play at a high level

I think it's probably that most players are just actually thick and just reel off sound bites and cliches as often as they can.

The new man is always great. Until he gets rid of him.

I think the guy who writes stats bomb either doesn't understand PDO very well, or is just very bad at writing clearly.

If you look at this guys page, he says this:-

To give this chart some context let’s consider a fictional team that recorded a PDO of 1200 in each and every game it played in a given season, and thus had a seasonal PDO of 1200 after each and every game it played. For the first 8 games of the season that’s perfectly normal – random bounces happen and over a small number of games (and thus a small number of goals) these can have a large effect on a teams PDO. After 9 games though a PDO of 1200 sits above the line of statistical significance. In other words it suggests that a team isn’t benefitting just from random bounces, but is also doing something skill based to push their PDO that high.

Statsbomb guy seems to think that everyone should have a PDO of 1000, which is stupidly simplistic because (for example) we're the only team who has Lloris so obviously our save % is going to be higher than everyone else's.

Over a season PDO regresses towards the mean. Not to the mean.

I think you've got a couple of pretty major misunderstandings there.

Firstly, most people use the term "regress to the mean", they very rarely actually mean that as regression to exactly 1 - it's just a phrase used that means exactly the same as regress towards the mean. The author at statsbomb neither suggests he thinks all teams will end up with a PDO of 1000 nor is he an idiot, so I'd be very surprised if that's the intention behind what he's saying.

Secondly, I think you've completely misunderstood that part of James's blog. What he's saying is that no teams keep a PDO of 1200 - if a team did then you could discount the luck aspect of PDO, but you can't because no teams do. It's been a while since I read that post but off the top of my head I seem to remember that his conclusion is that at least 60% of PDO is the luck element.

I may have missed a post, but in the one I quoted GB didn't say that it hadn't

so what was the point in mentioning it now? why not mention it before rather than throwing out disparaging comments of all sorts that he has constantly been doing? why rubbish everything 'Timmeh' 'NBD' does in other games?
and why insinuate that its stuff he got right in this game as opposed to others? which is the key here...if you even remotely follow what he says like i do with yours, his and scara's in his case you notice and clear trend and for him to mention that now is him saying that he is finally getting it right

even goes on to say that he's jacking someone else's blue print??!! I think multiple users use his account....it has to be. anyone can see that AVB doesnt play a dynamic game...or should i say...DIDNT play a dynamic game

hey look, you can defend this guy its all cool...i just dont agree that none of that stuff happened before for him not to mention it

Back