• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Tim Sherwood…gone \o/

Do you want Tim Sherwood to stay as manager?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Re: Tim Sherwood - Head Coach

Scara - AVB should have punished Adebayor briefly, spoken to him like a man, shook hands, shown the squad that their differences were resolved like men and that both men respected one another and now they move forwards together.

That's fine in your office and mine where we employ people for their input and what they can bring mentally to the table. That's not how football teams are set up.

You have a group of not very bright, young, rich, unrestrained kids all thrown together with fame, money, women, etc thrown in. There's a very good reason why the military style of discipline works in football, and why a democracy is unlikely ever to.

Even if we accept that AVB got it wrong in telling Ade he wouldn't play again (I still don't think he did at all), then to go back on that is even worse than seeing it through. What Levy should have done is listen to his manager, sell Ade and use those ridiculous wages to invest in someone with the right attitude.

I think the guy who writes stats bomb either doesn't understand PDO very well, or is just very bad at writing clearly.

If you look at this guys page, he says this:-

To give this chart some context let’s consider a fictional team that recorded a PDO of 1200 in each and every game it played in a given season, and thus had a seasonal PDO of 1200 after each and every game it played. For the first 8 games of the season that’s perfectly normal – random bounces happen and over a small number of games (and thus a small number of goals) these can have a large effect on a teams PDO. After 9 games though a PDO of 1200 sits above the line of statistical significance. In other words it suggests that a team isn’t benefitting just from random bounces, but is also doing something skill based to push their PDO that high.

Statsbomb guy seems to think that everyone should have a PDO of 1000, which is stupidly simplistic because (for example) we're the only team who has Lloris so obviously our save % is going to be higher than everyone else's.

Over a season PDO regresses towards the mean. Not to the mean.

Ok, here goes...

I thought last night was Timmeh's first good performance in the job

- Correct team
- 5 across the middle, including 3 of the big boys
- A proper DM
- A high line
- Better possession/slightly more controlled (we even hit 50%)
- Positional discipline was getting closer to normal
- Pressing was more energetic

Perhaps now he's made his point about being the anti-AVB, no one will notice if he slyly starts imitating him a bit. ;-)

Last edited:

Good post GB. Hopefully now everyone can put the whole "AVB vs Ade vs Sherwood" debate behind them for a while.

Everyone on this MB (except Greg) is delighted with the manner of the win as much as the win, inasmuch as the manager had clearly thought about team selection and formation. Criticism is pretty pointless after a 4-0 away win but we did get the rub of the green in that Saudi Sportswashing Machine's shots were either at the keeper or saveable, and at 1-0, in the first half, we looked pretty open to me.
Still, morale in the group must be high, players are coming back from injury....I'll bet they can't wait till the next game...I wish it was at the weekend.

4 nil, attacking and dynamic = Not even close to AVB

you must be screwing that we won ;)

The main thing AVB would have done differently was switched us to coast at 2-0 with the next game in mind, rather than go for dead rubber goals.

The main thing AVB would have done differently was switched us to coast at 2-0 with the next game in mind, rather than go for dead rubber goals.

Which would have been pathetic, given our inferior goal difference and the gap between last night and our next fixture. ;)

Which would have been pathetic, given our inferior goal difference and the gap between last night and our next fixture. ;)

Or perhaps not if it gave us extra freshness for Stoke and West Ham away in the spring. Remember how Redknapp's teams crumbled in the run-in because they weren't conserved enough during the easy matches.

Ok, here goes...

- Correct team
- A proper DM
- A high line

Perhaps now he's made his point about being the anti-AVB, no one will notice if he slyly starts imitating him a bit. ;-)

This is really not good enough. 50% possession? Timmeh needs to **** off back to the youth team and let a real manager like AVB show him how it's done. He'll get us hitting 60% in no time.

Last edited:

Or perhaps not if it gave us extra freshness for Stoke and West Ham away in the spring. Remember how Redknapp's teams crumbled in the run-in because they weren't conserved enough during the easy matches.

8 day recovery time, plus a number of changes likely for the next game mean that the minimal extra effort that scoring those 2 goals took will have no impact on the squad's overall conditioning one bit IMO.

Last edited:

Not comparable,Redknapp had a smallish squad so he couldnt rotate. We had to play Bale, VDV, Modric etc etc etc

Nowadays, on the other hand, you can tell TS is rotating and using the squad, so the players should be fresher and able to play 90 minutes. Perfect example, this week against Everton and Saudi Sportswashing Machine - fairly different teams.

No i don't remember that at all.

2008/2009 = 6 wins and 1 draw from the final 10 games

2009/2010 = 7 wins and 3 loses from final 10 games

The 2010/2011 season was because of our involvement in the CL where we were not able to juggle both competitions efficiently and the 2011/2012 was because Redknapp had other things on his mind.

Wasn't crumbling then perhaps more due to improper use of the squad and over-reliance on some players that could have been spared a bit?

That instill confidence in a team and make them feel better about their performance. I guess Emirates Marketing Project and 'Pool don't gain confidence when they smash people with all those 'dead rubber' goals. Stick to the plan, don't deviate, don't allow for emotion, can't allow for emotion....

And the crumbling had nothing to do with 'Arry getting ready for his England job at all then.

Ok, here goes...

- Correct team
- A proper DM
- A high line

I hated the midfield set up last night tbh. Capoue had a terrible first half imo, Paulinho had no interest putting a tackle in. We were pretty open. Saudi Sportswashing Machine had decent chances.
Saudi Sportswashing Machine were awful and yet Lloris still had to pull off a string of saves.
But we were clinical upfront so that put a gloss on everything.

We've played much better under Sherwood than last night.

errm ...... no.

hey AS, which do you disagree with?

GB' Points were:

- Correct team
- A proper DM
- A high line

Back