• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The Official Olympic Thread

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=acb_1344200907

Someone threw a waterbottle onto the track just before the start, hoping to cause a false start maybe.

I see some tosser has been arrested for throwing a bottle onto the track at the start of the 100m final. I know he has not killed anybody but he deserves a tough prison sentence for complex stupidity

I only noticed that now after watching the highlights show.

Just wanted some attention.

From the Guardian:

A man has been arrested for shouting abuse and throwing a plastic bottle on to the track just seconds before the start of the Olympic 100m final.

A Dutch judoka who was sitting behind the man said she had tackled him after the incident, but had missed Usain Bolt's 9.63 second Olympic record in the process.

The plastic bottle being hurled on to the track towards the athletes was clearly visible to the hundreds of millions of TV viewers who had tuned in to watch the blue riband event of the Games.

Edith Bosch, who won a bronze medal last week in the 70kg category, had a trackside seat in the second row, but said on Twitter that she attacked the man after he threw the bottle.

"Some drunk in front of me throws a bottle onto the track!! I hit him … Unbelievable," she said, adding the hashtags "angry" and "norespect".

She revealed in her next tweet that she had missed the race in the commotion: "Dammit ... and I missed the 100m! What a BEEP".

Total tool, an absolute nobody who wont get his 15 minutes of scumbag fame thanks to the Dutch girl. Makes your blood boil to think that he got a front row ticket to this event, that he almost screwed up the work put in by those lads, that he almost wrecked an evening for millions of viewers.

Hope Edith doesn't get charged with assault, swap her bronze for a gold I say and make tosspot pay for it.

media_l_1310483.jpg

He was denied entry a few years ago, those blades provide an extra spring to his step.

According to an interview I saw today he was denied entry to the Beijing Olympics at first, but later that was overturned (but not in time for him to qualify or something) and a lot of tests had be done that showed that he didn't gain an unfair advantage.

I'm no expert, but I don't really understand how they would provide him with an unfair advantage. The energy in the blades that is released when they extend must first be put into them when he pushes down. Are these things really better at transporting that energy than a human leg? And of course he has the disadvantage of not having his calf muscles so even if there was some intrinsic advantage in the blades they had to overcome that as well.

From the Guardian:

A man has been arrested for shouting abuse and throwing a plastic bottle on to the track just seconds before the start of the Olympic 100m final.

A Dutch judoka who was sitting behind the man said she had tackled him after the incident, but had missed Usain Bolt's 9.63 second Olympic record in the process.

The plastic bottle being hurled on to the track towards the athletes was clearly visible to the hundreds of millions of TV viewers who had tuned in to watch the blue riband event of the Games.

Edith Bosch, who won a bronze medal last week in the 70kg category, had a trackside seat in the second row, but said on Twitter that she attacked the man after he threw the bottle.

"Some drunk in front of me throws a bottle onto the track!! I hit him … Unbelievable," she said, adding the hashtags "angry" and "norespect".

She revealed in her next tweet that she had missed the race in the commotion: "Dammit ... and I missed the 100m! What a BEEP".

Total tool, an absolute nobody who wont get his 15 minutes of scumbag fame thanks to the Dutch girl. Makes your blood boil to think that he got a front row ticket to this event, that he almost screwed up the work put in by those lads, that he almost wrecked an evening for millions of viewers.

Hope Edith doesn't get charged with assault, swap her bronze for a gold I say and make tosspot pay for it.

media_l_1310483.jpg

I noticed the bottle in a couple of the replays.

That's a pretty cool story. Hope his face hurts in the morning.

Todays chances

After the most memorable weekends for Team GB, things might ease down slightly it terms of full-on drama - but there are still a number of chances to add to the medal tally.

Team GB's athletics captain Dai Greene will take to the track in the evening (8.45pm), with the Welshman out to improve on a disappointing run in the semi-finals.

Greene qualified as seventh fastest and faces a huge fight on his hands to claim the gold against the likes of Felix Sanchez and Javier Coulson.

There is also a medal chance for Holly Bleasdale in the women's pole vault final, which is scheduled to get underway at 7pm.

The best chance of a gold for Team GB, though, will be at the velodrome when Jason Kenny goes for glory in the men's individual sprint at 5.40pm.

Kenny, selected ahead of Sir Chris Hoy, must first overcome Trinidad & Tobago rider NjisaneNicholas Phillip in his semi-final at 4pm.

Other action in the velodrome sees Victoria Pendleton take on Olga Panarina in the quarter-final of her individual sprint campaign at 4.40pm, while Laura Trott will be in the omnium elimination race at 6.20pm.

Having won two gymnastic medals on Sunday, Team GB will be hoping that Beth Tweddle can add to the haul.

The hugely popular 27-year-old takes part in her favoured uneven bars event at 2.50pm - with Tweddle having topped the scores in qualification.

In equestrian, the showjumping team event reaches its climax - with Team GB's squad of Nick Skelton, Ben Maher, Scott Brash and Peter Charles currently in joint second with Switzerland, Sweden and the Netherlands.

Britain last won a showjumping medal in 1984, but they will fancy their chances of overhauling Saudi Arabi when action gets underway at 2pm.

Oksana Chusovitina got 5th place in vault in gymnastics. She is 37 YEARS OLD!

Some of her medals, note the countries:

Gold at the 1991 World championship for Russia
Gold at the 1992 Olympics for the Unified team of Former Soviet Republics (or whatever they called themselves),
Gold at the 2003 World championship for Uzbekistan
Silver at the 2008 Olympics competing for Germany.

I understand she was upset about losing the gold because her fall but did you see how indignant and ungracious in defeat that American gymnast was? It was painful to watch her be so stoic towards her fellow competitors.

I understand she was upset about losing the gold because her fall but did you see how indignant and ungracious in defeat that American gymnast was? It was painful to watch her be so stoic towards her fellow competitors.

The NBC commentary building her up was absolutely hilarious. "Obviously, she's by far the best gymnast here and she'll be able to prove that in a minute" .....

"well, she's still the best gymnast, even if she wasn't today"

Brilliant stuff.

Looks like Australia could get another hold before Spurs sign a striker. Even we couldn't stuff up the Men's Laser Class from here. Always rated that event ...

If he loses on execution points that means he loses because he tried a more difficult routine. Seems the wrong way round. If the scores are tied I'd give more credit to the one who tried the hardest routine.

Anyhow, agree with the sentiment on the three medals. An amazing performance.

I agree, otherwise you're effectively rewarding the other guy for playing it safe. Seems a bit unfair to me.

Please tell me someone in Internetland capped that German hurdler pulling her shorts down almost showing some box!!

Aus v Russia in the basketball. Mills with the clutch 3. What a finish.

Bring on the Dream Team!!

Aussies are due a few golds in the next few days.

They'll still be up the table when you do total medals won........but reading the hysterical reaction in your media is priceless!

Hungary's 200m breaststroke champion Daniel Gyurta has revealed he will have a copy of his gold medal made in memory of the former world champion Alexander Dale Oen.

Dale Oen, who was from Norway, died at the age of 26 earlier this year from a rare heart disease while at a training camp in Arizona.

The Norwegian had won the 100m breaststroke at the world championships less than a year earlier and was one of the favourites in the 100m and 200m events for the Olympics.

Gyurta told Hungarian reporters on Friday that he will send a copy of his gold medal to Dale Oen's relatives.

"We became very good friends this year," Gyurta said. "I'm sure that he would have won the 100 here in London.

"This is the least I can do to pay respect to my friend."

Bjorn Soleng, the General Secretary of the Norwegian Swimming Federation, said on behalf of the family that he is sure they will appreciate the gesture very much.

South African Cameron van der Burgh, who took out the 100m event, dedicated his swim to Dale Oen.

Dale Oen became a hero in Norway after dedicating his world championship win to the 77 people killed in last year's massacre by Anders Breivik.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2012/aug/06/daniel-gyurta-alexander-dale-oen

We've had no luck and also you bastards have loaded up your resources in sports we generally go alright in (cycling, rowing).

In swimming we miss having freaks like Thorpe, Hackett, Perkins, etc.

We've had no luck and also you bastards have loaded up your resources in sports we generally go alright in (cycling, rowing).

In swimming we miss having freaks like Thorpe, Hackett, Perkins, etc.

Anything to spite you!

The budget for sports had been cut in teh UK as well......and we've won medals in 12 sports so far......so no one sport speciality.

I know i've been harsh but we've copped YEARS of dogs abuse over Aussie success. It's funny that a country should solely define itself based on sporting prowess.....and when you don't live up to your own high standards you vent spleen on the 'failures'.

Your media build people up and knock them down......just like ours do but probably even worse. Some journos need to look themsleves in the mirror!

Back