• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The Official Olympic Thread

Yeah, think with the right training and mind set, Gemili could end up being of our best sprinters of all time, only time would tell.

He's 18 and has only been training for 6 months!!

He doesn't have much muscle either........I would be VERY surprised if he didn't have 9.8 in him! But we have had fast juniors before so lets see.

Yeah.....you need a high knee lift and to drive through the track, someone like Lennon is classic, he uses the drive phase well but then the flat speed over distance would be an issue.

Some NFL players could definitely run that if they focused on it. Their 40 yard dash times are insane.

Lots of college running backs are sprinters and vice versa......you used to get it more in the past where sprinters would go and have a second career in football, but it doesn't seem to happen that much now.

I reckon Kyle Walker over distance would beat Lennon. I also think at a stretch maybe Bale too.

Bale would probably be a fantastic 200/400 runner........stamina over longer distances.

Lennon would be class over 60 metres indoor, same with Walker

Would love the govenment to come out and talk about turning the Olympic site into an Sports Academy for the country.

I would imagine the whole country would be pleased to turn it into an American style college site.

All the coaches, all the 16-20 year olds in one place. Of course each of the chosen subjects sponsored by business, each venus given a sponsors name, like the O2 Velodrome or Heinz Copper Box.

Then every year the park comes alive again for National finals.

I think it could be a vote winner too. A reason to celebrate getting the Union Jack out.. which people cannot refute, the past 2 months with the Jubillee and Olympics has brought a feel good feeling back.

Make sure its on the BBC though.

I'd much rather 30k went to someone wishing to give up there life to do something like this than subsidise a lazy **** mum and dad who have 4 kids living in a 1.2m property in Fulham and hasn't had a job in there life.

Some NFL players could definitely run that if they focused on it. Their 40 yard dash times are insane.

Definitely. Those times are with all the excess weight needed to play football. If they trained for track some would be very fast. But there is a lot more money in the NFL. You have to be among the elite few to get rich in athletics, a journeyman NFL will make a lot more than most.

Definitely. Those times are with all the excess weight needed to play football. If they trained for track some would be very fast. But there is a lot more money in the NFL. You have to be among the elite few to get rich in athletics, a journeyman NFL will make a lot more than most.

They are at college when they do the 60 yard dash, when they do the combine they have had no monies from 'the NFL', as its against college rules to be given cash incentives or gifts. See Reggie Bush!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-19145269

fudging politicians arguing over who the success is down to!!

Maybe it's the athletes? Scum the lot of em.

Labour trying to attack the government but:

In the good old days when we had lots of playing fields in all ou our schools.
1972 18 medals. 4 Gold. 12th in Medal table
1976 13 medals. 3 Gold. 13th in Medal table

Awful post Thatcher modern era when we have no playing fields left.
2004. 30 Medals. 9 Gold. 9th in Medal table
2008. 47 Nedals. 19 Gold. 4th in Medal table

Perhaps it is not that simple after all.

The majority of medal winners are from a long way from London.

Why should all talented 16 year old be sent hundreds of miles away from home?

We have pockets of talent around the country and that's where it should be IMO, Manchester, Sheffield, Birmingham and Glasgow etc all have good facilities.

London has lagged behind for its size and these olympics have address that, so the Velodrome and Aquatics centres for instance will mean London now has world class facilities for local athletes.

Bostock can apparently do it in under 11 seconds, Walcott as well.

I would love to see what Bale could do 400m in, I reckon it would be under 50 seconds.

I got another infraction!! :)

This is why:

For your posts in the Olympic thread,only a minor infraction but as much as I'm all for gloating about sporting prowess, constantly insulting all Australian's, carrying on without provocation and then telling someone to go away when they tell you to give it a rest is beyond what's acceptable.

Thoughts? Personal attacks fine.......stating my opinion and telling an overbearing and over active mod to leave me alone?

Hmmmmm!! :)

I say we have a more transparent process here.

Ginolius seems to think GG is his own personal forum......so watch your step........remember, your opinion mustn't EVER insult anyone!! Especially not self-styled SS internet police!!! :)

The majority of medal winners are from a long way from London.

Why should all talented 16 year old be sent hundreds of miles away from home?

We have pockets of talent around the country and that's where it should be IMO, Manchester, Sheffield, Birmingham and Glasgow etc all have good facilities.

London has lagged behind for its size and these olympics have address that, so the Velodrome and Aquatics centres for instance will mean London now has world class facilities for local athletes.

Its no different to going to another city to go to Uni. Just this Uni is a big sports facility in London and itsn't a Uni but more American sports college.

Of course still have local amenities, but there should be a centre of excellence.

I believe the reason we have done well in the modern era is purely due to the amoint of funds placed into different sports, 25m into rowing for example. Giving people the sponsors to enable them to give up jobs, also Lottery money was not around in the Thatcher years. Also as eluded to the other night on TV by Denise Lewis is because everyone is sharing work ethic, bringing together everyone ideas, taking the best of everything, and not a coach keeping there secrets close to their chests.

Not to make this party political....but the Lottery was a Tory policy! :) And the funding for sports was introduced by them! :)

I like the idea of centralising pools of talent, that what Cycling already do in Manchester for instance.

But I would have them spread around....why have everything in London where the cost of living and expenses is the gighest in the country?

Back