• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The Official EURO 2012 thread

Who will win Euro 2012?

• Spain

Votes: 17 17.3%
  • Germany

Votes: 54 55.1%
  • Holland

Votes: 17 17.3%
  • France

Votes: 3 3.1%
  • Italy

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • England

Votes: 2 2.0%
  • Croatia

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • Poland

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Ukraine

• Other

• Total voters
Did anyone else watch that game as a neutral? Watching it I had very little emotion either way.

I pretty much did, no ties either way.

Wish my post in one of the previous Harry threads was still around, where I predicted England at best would get out of the group playing totally uninspiring football, winning (by one goal margins) or drawing and then going out with a 0-0, or 0-1 loss.

That was disgraceful, several players under Hodgson have shown they can play, but the zonal sit back and allow your opposition 75% of the possesion is absolutely going to burn you in the end, for 120+ minutes nobody was under orders to pressure Pirlo? really?

England is not a great team, but Hodgson has managed to make them look like a League 2 team playing in the FA Cup looking for a replay at best.

Hart 7 - did everything though distribution could have been better.
Johnson 6 - had his moments early on going forward, and actually half decent at the back for a change
Terry 6 - made several critical blocks
Lescott 6 - coped well with Balotelli for the most part
Cole 5 - commentators keep on about how good but missed a pen and frankly lacked real class
Milner 4 - worked hard all right but produced precious little
Gerrard 7 - decent performance from the captain but way, way short of what he was once capable
Parker 5 - all the usual blocks but utter brick going forward - as usual
Young 4 - missed penalty says all you need to know about his performance
Rooney 5 - painfully ordinary
Wellbeck 6 - quality touches early on but fluffed his one good chance before being subbed

Subs
Henderson 3 - what the hell is he doing in the England squad?
Carroll 6 - almost impressive ... for a carthorse
Walcott 4 - poor, just poor

Agree with all of that apart from the Carroll rating. Thought he was one of our best players when he came on. Did his job, just no one was there when he headed the ball down

Hart 7 - did everything though distribution could have been better.
Johnson 6 - had his moments early on going forward, and actually half decent at the back for a change
Terry 6 - made several critical blocks
Lescott 6 - coped well with Balotelli for the most part
Cole 5 - commentators keep on about how good but missed a pen and frankly lacked real class
Milner 4 - worked hard all right but produced precious little
Gerrard 7 - decent performance from the captain but way, way short of what he was once capable
Parker 5 - all the usual blocks but utter brick going forward - as usual
Young 4 - missed penalty says all you need to know about his performance
Rooney 5 - painfully ordinary
Wellbeck 6 - quality touches early on but fluffed his one good chance before being subbed

Subs
Henderson 3 - what the hell is he doing in the England squad?
Carroll 6 - almost impressive ... for a carthorse
Walcott 4 - poor, just poor

Disagree with a couple

- Johnson had a good game, and for most part, good tournament
- Gerrard, great delivery, but not a good game today, looked tired and was part of the reason England was overun
- Milner, terrible
- Walcott, only player worse than Milner
- Parker, really don't get playing Scott if you sit back and give the opposition the ball, couple of usual poor passes
- Rooney, another tournament where an injured/suspended "saviour" is carried, honestly Hodgson should have left him home and given the games to Wellbeck, Carroll and Defoe
- Henderson, seriously stand by my previous comment that picking him on it's own should be a firing offense.

Pirlo showed up Gerrard and Rooney, he maid them look like carthorses, nothing changes every single tournament it is the same.

We do not have the technical ability.

A summary of euro 2012

The wrong players were picked.

We played negative football.

We fluked our way to the top of our group.

We were lucky to take italy to penalties

Ashley young fudging sucks

England have never been good at keeping the ball in my lifetime. Every nation who comes to Wembley outpasses us!

Ashley Young easily the worst English player in the tournament!

Cole was terrible too tbh not just because of the penalty, he got torn a new one by Debuchy and I bet he breathed a huge sigh of relief when Abate went off injured!

Pirlo was immense tonight!

Face it, we are just not as good as the real top sides, and I don't see that changing anytime soon.

Hodgson is a joke.
Negative football and England was dominated by a poor french side and got lucky vs Sweden and Ukraine.

Get Harry in.

Not Hodgson fault - the players are not good enough, it would have been the same with Harry. Take all the foreign players out of the PL and the football would be dross.

England have never been good at keeping the ball in my lifetime. Every nation who comes to Wembley outpasses us!

Ashley Young easily the worst English player in the tournament!

Cole was terrible too tbh not just because of the penalty, he got torn a new one by Debuchy and I bet he breathed a huge sigh of relief when Abate went off injured!

Pirlo was immense tonight!

Face it, we are just not as good as the real top sides, and I don't see that changing anytime soon.

Not until the way our grass roots changes. I mean if we want a good passing team, we should be picking the right players for the job.

Lennon, Wheelchair, Carrick would be good picks for midfield as they are all good pass and movers.

Not Hodgson fault - the players are not good enough, it would have been the same with Harry. Take all the foreign players out of the PL and the football would be dross.

I agree.

The only thing you can blame him for is not getting the tactics right when it came to stopping Pirlo, he ran the show. Hang on, blame him for keep sticking with Young too, he was horrific in every game! Did nothing going forward and he does not know where to be on the defensive side, he doesn't have a clue!

Not until the way our grass roots changes. I mean if we want a good passing team, we should be picking the right players for the job.

Lennon, Wheelchair, Carrick would be good picks for midfield as they are all good pass and movers.

Agree with that, but not a lot could be done this tournament about it or 2 of those players mentioned (Carrick refused to be part of the squad if he didn't start, and Wheelchair injured all season). Still very strange Lennon wasn't picked.

I meant for future tournaments or games really. We need a set philosophy (if it is pass and move ) and pick players who SUIT that way of play and not just big names regardless. Wheelchair is perfect for it (i hate to say it). I'd actually love to see a Rooney in central midfield alongside Wheelchair with Carrick deeper. Lennon on the right side and Chamberlain perhaps on the left.

World Cup 2014:

------------------- Hart (c) -----------------
Walker --- Lescott --- Smalling --- Baines
------------- Jones ---- Wheelchair -----------
Lennon --------- Rooney ------- Ox-Chamb
----------------- Welbeck -------------------

Stockdale, Butland, Richards, Caulker, Dawson, Gibbs, Livermore, Barry, Walcott, A.Johnson, Carroll, Bent

Last edited:
Lol. England are brick. Terrible first touch, no vision, can't pass the ball 10 yards square. We're so mediocre it's untrue!!! :)

World Cup 2014:

Stockdale, Butland, Richards, Smalling, Dawson, Gibbs, Livermore, Barry, Walcott, A.Johnson, Carroll, Bent

I would put money on Terry, Cole and Gerrard still being in the team. That's one of our main problems, players get picked on reputation.

World Cup 2014:

Stockdale, Butland, Richards, Smalling, Dawson, Gibbs, Livermore, Barry, Walcott, A.Johnson, Carroll, Bent

fudge me, Smalling must be good; a starter and a sub!? :mrgreen:

Back