• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The Official EURO 2012 thread

Who will win Euro 2012?

• Spain

Votes: 17 17.3%
  • Germany

Votes: 54 55.1%
  • Holland

Votes: 17 17.3%
  • France

Votes: 3 3.1%
  • Italy

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • England

Votes: 2 2.0%
  • Croatia

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • Poland

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Ukraine

• Other

• Total voters
Sorry,but if your midfield consists of Parker,Milner,Young and Gerrard(great player,but simply doesnt have the stamina to play MF anymore) then you will lose against the international top teams,no doubt.

Leaving Carrick out of the squad is possibly the dumbest decision ever.

Joe Hart completed more passes (45) than any other England player tonight.

All depends where you get your stats from

W756v.jpg

Interesting quote from Hodgson
"We've watched players taking penalties in training – it has become an obsession for us in English football – and they'd done extremely well. But you can't reproduce the tension, the occasion, the nervousness."

I listening to some programme on 5live before the tournament and they had O'Leary and a few of the Irish lads from Italia '90 on it talking about the tournament. They mentioned what Jack Charlton did to prepare for penalties. At the end of each days training he went off and left them to it taking penalties. But what he made them do was make bets on the penalties. So each player would be taking his penalty knowing his money would be on the line and the money of some of this teammates who backed him, as well as a few goading him no doubt. This went on every day. On the day of the Ireland Romania shootout Charlton told the playeys to decide themselves who the best 5 were. They knew at this stage who was calmest under pressure. All 5 were scored of course.

[h=1]Now we need to find kids who can play just like Pirlo[/h][h=2]England 0 Italy 0 (aet, Italy win 4-2 on pens)[/h]
58_eng_1D_840x420_1535398a.jpg
LOOKING TO THE FUTURE ... skipper Steven Gerrard with young Lions Jordan Henderson, Theo Walcott and Andy Carroll

HarryRedknappBYLIN_1528654a.jpg
By HARRY REDKNAPP

Published: Today at 01:21

[h=3][/h]

Q: WHAT’S the fallout from last night’s defeat?

A: We must learn a lesson from this and do our utmost to produce an Andrea Pirlo of our own.
Let’s be fair to ourselves and the Italians and admit it’d have been an injustice had we won. They were by far the better team even though there is no one more patriotic than me.
I am pinning a lot of hope on the new St George’s Park development centre and on coaches at every level in England.
We must get our kids to play, play, play. Realise it’s not all about being strong, big or fast.
Look at Pirlo against England — he had no pace, strength and he’s ancient. But what a fabulous display.
What we have got to do is bring through kids who as defenders will be happy to bring the ball out and forwards who want to receive the ball in tight areas surrounded by the opposition because they are comfortable in possession.
Q: WHAT did you think of England’s display?
A: I was pleased we came in level at half time. Italy dominated possession. They had twice as many touches as we did.
They enjoyed that because of the extra man in midfield — Pirlo. Although I don’t think many Italian players would get into the top teams in the Premier League they were better in the most important areas.
Roy Hodgson got the best out of the squad he had available to him in the time he had after getting the job.
He knows that it’s all about the future now and moulding the team his way rather than getting one together that is difficult to beat.
It was hard for our midfielders to make much impact because they were overrun by Italy’s three in the middle. And they just got stronger and stronger as the game went on.
Q WHO performed well in this match?
A: Glen Johnson. He performed miracles in my opinion.
He made last-ditch saves, superbly-timed blocks and looked good going forward. Glen doesn’t always get the recognition he deserves. But I had him at Portsmouth after he came through at West Ham.
England are blessed in the right-back position. We have Glen and Kyle Walker coming through. So that is a position in which we have a lot of strength in depth.
Q: HOW did you assess England’s tactics?
A: We played as positively as we could. It was 4-4-2 or 4-4-1-1 with Wayne Rooney dropping in when he could.
England’s tactics were to react well and hit Italy on the counter-attack. Italy keep the ball well, they don’t lose it very often and the stats showed that at half time.
In the second half it was about hanging on and trying to use Andy Carroll’s power and height.
58_qwoypirl_24_532_1535340a.jpg
WELL DONE ... Roy Hodgson hails Andrea Pirlo

We did well with what we set out to do. Roy harnessed our qualities to the best. England got bodies in and made it hard for them to get through us. Everybody in that team works hard.
Striker Danny Welbeck did really well coming back defensively and we have the players that, when they lose the ball, work hard for each other and are then dangerous on the break.
By comparison, Mario Balotelli did not get back and dig in nearly as much for his team as Welbeck did.
Q: HOW does this leave you feeling for the Brazil 2014 World Cup and the way forward for that competition?
A: Strangely it was the absence of Jack Wheelchair which was felt most keenly. He can be our Pirlo.
He’s the type of player I’m talking about who doesn’t rely on strength or speed — he’s a genuine footballer.
I am reminded of when Clarence Seedorf came to Tottenham a couple of years ago with AC Milan in the Champions League.
He was then 35 or 36 years old and we won and went through but boy did he play well, did he have a magnificent football brain which is ageless.
When players like Luka Modric, Eyal Berkovic and the like are on form they are match changers. It’s been a problem for us for the last 30 years — it’s why we haven’t won anything.
Q: WHAT didn’t work well in this match?
A: To progress at international level you have to be able to keep the ball. England struggled with that.
But Roy knows that. What he did was get the best out of the squad he had and it is something he will definitely work on.
By having Pirlo in the middle as an extra man, it was hard for Scott Parker and Steven Gerrard to get near him because he had two others who could peel off and get into space of their own.
The difference in the two teams shows that if you are going to compete on the world stage you have to be able to keep the ball. The only other midfielder we had in reserve was young Jordan Henderson.
Q: IS this the end for the so-called Golden Generation?
A: Gerrard was still our best player at Euro 2012. John Terry was magnificent. We still need those players because now there is World Cup qualification for Brazil in 2014 to think about.
We need to bring through a few youngsters, the likes of Wheelchair I have already mentioned.
But while we are doing so, players like Gerrard, Terry and others will be of vital importance.

The most hilarious idea, is that - wait for it - there's a "premium" for English footballers; errr, WHY!? There should be a fudging discount, never mind a premium!

I've made this point before. Whenever a foreign player is linked and we all get excited, you'll get comments about signing Carlos Kickaball's, and if an english player had "inho" on the end, we'd over rate him.

What gonads. Truth is, if your last name ends in inho, chances are you weren't brought up in the inferior system which breeds players with last names like Smith. I'm quite happy to put blind faith in the next big thing from Brazil, Germany, Spain or Italy because they've got the pedigree to actually produce the big players we hope they become.

At least Harry would've taken Lennon

Milner is fudging brick

What the fudge has happened to Young?

Harry Redknapp's hopes of luring James Milner to White Hart Lane are being scuppered because Tottenham cannot compete with Emirates Marketing Project's millions.

Redknapp is seeking top quality reinforcements to help Spurs break into the 'big four' and compete in the Champions League but he has admitted the money Emirates Marketing Project are able to table leaves the Londoners 'out of our depth'.

Milner has a meeting with Villa to discuss his future on Monday but his departure from Villa Park now seems unavoidable with bad blood crewing between the midfielder and his manager Martin O'Neil.

When asked if he would bid for Milner, Redknapp said: 'No, we wouldn't be able to.

'Anybody would like James Milner, he's an outstanding young player, but he'd be way out of our depth.'

Regarding Ashley Young, Redknapp added: 'Again, I wouldn't think they'd want to sell Ashley Young.

'He is a good player but he belongs to Villa. We've not made any enquiries for him at all.'

Redknapp always liked Milner, so does Jamie, and of course we all know that Redknapp snr takes his sons advice on board

You gotta love the BBC commentary when Henderson came on, trying to hype him up... "THIS IS HIS MOMENT... HIS COMING OF AGE!"

lmao he was turd as always

World Cup 2014:

------------------- Hart (c) -----------------
Walker --- Lescott --- Smalling --- Baines
------------- Jones ---- Wheelchair -----------
Lennon --------- Rooney ------- Ox-Chamb
----------------- Welbeck -------------------

Stockdale, Butland, Richards, Caulker, Dawson, Gibbs, Livermore, Barry, Walcott, A.Johnson, Carroll, Bent

fcuking eck, that looks horrible

what a dearth of talent coming thru, after the Golden Generation we have the brick Generation

Another thing: for all of Richard Scudamore tossing himself off over the 'product' of the Premier League and how wonderfully amazing it is: what exactly has been the benefit to the fortunes of the English National Team? Perhaps I'm being simplistic, but it looks like England are producing very brick, very average, very overpaid footballers.

England in fact seems to be the only league which talks itself up as being amazing, yet its national team is a national embarrassment. Italy, Germany, Spain - all have very strong pedigree; England? Oh, errr 1966 :ross: The most hilarious idea, is that - wait for it - there's a "premium" for English footballers; errr, WHY!? There should be a fudging discount, never mind a premium!

Richard Scudamore has no interest in the England national football team. The problem is that no other country has such a disconnect from how their football association and top league is run.

Then again, the overall strength of a respective league has rarely been reflected in the quality of it's national team. Spain in recent times is fairly unique in the way it's national team has been doing well at the same time as it's clubs.

Richard Scudamore has no interest in the England national football team. The problem is that no other country has such a disconnect from how their football association and top league is run.

Then again, the overall strength of a respective league has rarely been reflected in the quality of it's national team. Spain in recent times is fairly unique in the way it's national team has been doing well at the same time as it's clubs.

I disagree with that. Didn't Italy win the WC in 2006 after Milan won the CL in 2005?

Germany are strong now and Bayern have made two CL appearances in the recent years.

The difference is our top teams dont have any English players, because they're brick.

Despite having a 'minor' football league, Portugal are also looking good at the moment, Porto and Sporting having put in great EL performances, and have domestically based players in their national squads.

I disagree with that. Didn't Italy win the WC in 2006 after Milan won the CL in 2005?

Germany are strong now and Bayern have made two CL appearances in the recent years.

The difference is our top teams dont have any English players, because they're brick.

Despite having a 'minor' football league, Portugal are also looking good at the moment, Porto and Sporting having put in great EL performances, and have domestically based players in their national squads.

they are dying out, English players at the big clubs i mean, but if you look at the current England team there is Hart and Lescott from the current Prem champions, Young, Rooney, Wellbeck from the team who finished second, and Terry and Cole from the current CL winners....thats 7 players from our best sides

The inevitable conclusion to the baffling decision of appointing a mediocre yes-man who sets his team out not to concede as opposed to outscoring the opponent

Arry wouldn't have taken half of those painfully average overpaid cloggers, and would have inspired the rest into some kind of dynamic unit - much like an Energy drink - short term boost to extract the optimum output - perfect man for the job. And he would have most certainly set out to attack what is the weakest Italian team on paper in nearly 2 decades instead of playing for a fudging draw. Hart was already time wasting at the beginning of the second half! Dear, oh dear. I also doubt the would have caved in to media toss-off pressure of playing the 'world-class' Mooney who awlays delivered on the big stage for England, right? In addition to looking utterly out of form. Won't even go into Welbeck and Carrol, Milner, Downing or Henderson.

Once again we are left with a situation where fine margins exist, and yet people want to make a crisis out of a non-issue.

If reaching the semi's is an excellent achievement, then being knocked out of the QF's on penalties cannot be a disaster.

Once again we are left with a situation where fine margins exist, and yet people want to make a crisis out of a non-issue.

If reaching the semi's is an excellent achievement, then being knocked out of the QF's on penalties cannot be a disaster.
Depends on your perspective I suppose.

If you consider England's 9 goal attempts to Italy's 35, 4 on target to Italy's 20, and 32% possession to Italy's 68%..... I suppose you could make an argument for England having had a successful tournament.....

OK, that's a bit facetious, and I actually think England getting out of the group was a success, so while being knocked out by Italy wasn't a diaster (disasters are things like earthquakes and floods and such like.....), England were basically brick.

Last edited:
Depends on your perspective I suppose.

If you consider England's 9 goal attempts to Italy's 35, 4 on target to Italy's 20, and 38% possession to Italy's 68%..... I suppose you could make an argument for England having had a successful tournament.....

OK, that's a bit facetious, and I actually think England getting out of the group was a success, so while being knocked out by Italy wasn't a diaster (disasters are things like earthquakes and floods and such like.....), England were basically brick.

The bottom line is team's play badly sometimes. And sometimes good teams are outplayed by poorer teams. In terms of England/Italy? Italy are better than us. We were the underdogs in that game and a 0-0 result on neutral ground isn't a bad result. The performance wasn't great, but many praise a team being able to play poorly and still come away without a defeat.

But like the whole Spurs 3rd, 4th or 5th nonsense from last year, people go from one extreme to another when in reality we are talking fine margins. QF was the expectations that most people felt we could achieve. We won our group, and made the QF and then weren't actually beat in that QF during 90 mins (or indeed 120 mins) and were dumped out on penalties. Objective met IMO so not sure why so many people seem to be so upset. It's not as if we were ever had a realistic chance to win the bloody thing!

It's always the same when England loses...all doom and gloom,the whole football system is brick,too many foreigners in the EPL,all english players are brick etc

Just think for a second about the opposition yesterday,the Italians were fudging great.They are not gonna be underdogs against anyone,including Spain and Germany.They have played a sensational game and deserved the win and there is nothing England could have done yesterday with the squad Hodgson took to the Euro's.

When Chiellini gets back they will be even stronger in defense and if Balotelli decides to score a few goals,they will probably win this tournament.

Back