• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The midweek/weekend games thread

whos fatter?

• grant holt

Votes: 2 10.5%
  • mark viduka

Votes: 17 89.5%

• Total voters
Because everyone thinks he is doing well with plucky old Wigan, but the truth is Wigan (especially when he first took over) have the players to be comfortably clear of the relegation battle and have had for the last two or three seasons. And yet every season they are in the midst of it.

cant agree with that.

anyway, i think its more likely that Villa will go after Lambert or Rodgers.

cant agree with that.

anyway, i think its more likely that Villa will go after Lambert or Rodgers.

they was in for Martinez last season but he turned them down because he had a 3 season agreement with the chairman, that's up this summer so theoretically might be open to moving this summer

Last edited:
I know that a lot of people are very keen to see the back of Redknapp, but Martinez? fudging really? I wonder if these clowns were the same idiots who wanted Redknapp fired for Coyle last Summer.

like i said, Redknapp's appointment attracted a very negative response from most Tottenham fans when Levy decided to hire him 4 years ago. Sometimes the most unlikely choice turns out to be an inspired one. Redknapp is clear proof of that, and whenever Levy decides to make the next change hopefully he is just as inspired and lucky, whether that be a Martinez, or a Rodgers, or lets say a Deschamps or a Blanc if he goes down the foreign route.

I think Lambert is a good shout for their style of players. Norwich this season have some how got under the radar that they play very direct...almost to the point of long ball.

Lambert is an O'Neil clone, thats probably what is attracting Lerner

they was in for Martinez last season but he turned them down because he had a 3 season agreement with the manager, that's up this summer so theoretically might be open to moving this summer

there was a bit of that loyalty aspect, but i also think it had a lot to do with that fact that Villa didnt have the money to take the club further, Lerner has severly restricted what can be spent on wages and transfer fees, and Martinez felt if he was to leave Wigan it would be to a club willing to be more ambitious

there was a bit of that loyalty aspect, but i also think it had a lot to do with that fact that Villa didnt have the money to take the club further, Lerner has severly restricted what can be spent on wages and transfer fees, and Martinez felt if he was to leave Wigan it would be to a club willing to be more ambitious

yeah, i think any promising manager would do well to avoid working for Villa at this moment in time

An FA Cup win and a 5th place with West Ham. And with average teams comfortable mid-table performances.
I usually agree with most things you post but I think you're wrong this time.

How old was Redknapp when he achieved this?

Martinez is 38 years and is still learning as a manager you can't just rule him out because he has failed to get Wigan into the top half of the table, I would say keeping a team like Wigan up every year is an achievement.

An FA Cup win and a 5th place with West Ham. And with average teams comfortable mid-table performances.

wow missed that, are you comparing managing a club like Wigan with that of managing West Ham?? and with Pompey who were heavily bankrolled into bringing in players on massive top 4 style wages???

wow missed that, are you comparing managing a club like Wigan with that of managing West Ham?? and with Pompey who were heavily bankrolled into bringing in players on massive top 4 style wages???

Yes I am. West Ham when Redknapp took them over were in a far worse situation that Wigan were when Martinez took over.

I know this isn't really about Martinez and people just want to dig at Redknapp and play "Fantasy Football Manager" to replace Redknapp but what exactly has Martinez done of extreme note? He seems like a nice guy (almost a little TOO nice) but he has done nothing to suggest that he is capable of being a better Manager than Redknapp in the future, let alone right now. Paul Jewell did a better job than Martinez at Wigan or have people forgotten that? So did Bruce for that matter.....

Yes I am. West Ham when Redknapp took them over were in a far worse situation that Wigan were when Martinez took over.

I know this isn't really about Martinez and people just want to dig at Redknapp and play "Fantasy Football Manager" to replace Redknapp but what exactly has Martinez done of extreme note? He seems like a nice guy (almost a little TOO nice) but he has done nothing to suggest that he is capable of being a better Manager than Redknapp in the future, let alone right now. Paul Jewell did a better job than Martinez at Wigan or have people forgotten that? So did Bruce for that matter.....

not the position, more the size of the club, fanbase, the resources, the history.....im no fan of the spammers, cant bear it if they get promoted on Saturday, but they are and have been on another level to Wigan

they won the world cup didnt ya know??:D

if you get the chance, ask Redknapp what he thinks about comparing the relative potentials of Wigan and West Ham

not the position, more the size of the club, fanbase, the resources, the history.....im no fan of the spammers, cant bear it if they get promoted on Saturday, but they are and have been on another level to Wigan

they won the world cup didnt ya know??:D

if you get the chance, ask Redknapp what he thinks about comparing the relative potentials of Wigan and West Ham

Wigan had private cash pumped into them. They were the Emirates Marketing Project of the lower divisions and have a Chairman who loves them.

Wigan had private cash pumped into them. They were the Emirates Marketing Project of the lower divisions and have a Chairman who loves them.

the cash pump dried up soon after martinez took over.....now they are just about being kept afloat, and have to sell their best players on a yearly basis, not add to the squad like they used to be able to

the cash pump dried up soon after martinez took over.....now they are just about being kept afloat, and have to sell their best players on a yearly basis, not add to the squad like they used to be able to

Which is a credit to Martinez, because this is the strongest Wigan Premiership team by far. He has bought well in the transfer market in terms of player quality, but Jewell and Bruce got better league positions with an inferior team.

anyway MLK, you dont have to worry about martinez or any other manager....Levy darent let go of Redknapp, the current set up is ideal for Levy. Guaranteed top 6 finishes, he wont risk changing the management unless a top top manager like a Mourinho, Ancelotti or Hiddink shows an interest in managing Spurs

In 30 years of managing.

And Martinez is how old exactly?

Doesn't matter though does it? People seem to think age is relevant when it comes to Manager ability, but history says otherwise.

We'll have to wait a few years to see which one of us right, but I'll stick my neck on the block and say I don't think Martinez will ever manage a club in England that finishes top six in the Premiership.

Which is a credit to Martinez, because this is the strongest Wigan Premiership team by far. He has bought well in the transfer market in terms of player quality, but Jewell and Bruce got better league positions with an inferior team.

Bruce and Jewell had the likes of Palacios, Heskey, Valencia, Catermole, Baines, much better players than what Martinez has now.

its not the strongest Wigan side compared with past teams

Back