• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The Inbetween Transfer Windows Rumour Thread

The Shakhtar Donetsk forward Willian is determined to leave the Ukrainian champions and says that he wants to join Chelsea, Milan or Internazionale. The attacking midfielder has been a transfer target for Chelsea and he demonstrated his worth with a thrilling performance against them in his team's 2-1 Champions League victory on Tuesday night.

Shakhtar priced Chelsea out of a move for Willian last January – they value him at upwards of £25m – and their stance remains that he is not for sale. But the 24-year-old Brazilian, who is under contract until the summer of 2014, sounded increasingly frustrated at his employers, who also blocked an approach from Tottenham Hotspur in the summer.

Willian spoke as he clutched a Chelsea shirt that was given to him by a fan after Tuesday's game, which had two question marks on the back where the number should go. It ought to be noted that Chelsea are well-stocked with attacking midfielders who can play wide or centrally after a summer spending spree.

"I would like to move from Shakhtar, my work here is complete," Willian said. "I would like to play in a big team in a big tournament, like the Premier League or Serie A. I like Chelsea, Milan and Inter. I have always followed the two Italian teams because my role models when I was young were Ronaldinho and Ronaldo, and they played for those teams.

"I knew that Chelsea wanted me in the past but the club didn't want me to leave. I think it was about the price. I still have two seasons left on my contract at Shakhtar and the only thing I can do is keep playing well, try to go on in the Champions League and hope to move next year. My dream is to play with the seleção in the World Cup in Brazil and I will have more chance to realise the dream if I play for a big team."

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2012/oct/24/willian-chelsea-shakhtar-donetsk

On to the next one on the list.

oh wow, a steed malbranque quip. displaying rare cutting wit as usual. :lol:

next thing i know you'll be making massive penis jokes. [-o<

Willian would be mad (or very confident in himself) to move to Chelsea. Will be tough competing with Hazard, Mata, Oscar, Moses, Sturridge and Marin. Going to Inter or Milan would make sense, but is joining a top team in Serie A still more attractive than a sub top team in England? Was a big fan of Serie A in the 90's but IMO the league has been on the decline since then. Really hope that AVB's long time interest in Willian can persuade him to join Spurs. Would add much needed flair and creativity to the attack.

Willian would be mad (or very confident in himself) to move to Chelsea. Will be tough competing with Hazard, Mata, Oscar, Moses, Sturridge and Marin. Going to Inter or Milan would make sense, but is joining a top team in Serie A still more attractive than a sub top team in England? Was a big fan of Serie A in the 90's but IMO the league has been on the decline since then. Really hope that AVB's long time interest in Willian can persuade him to join Spurs. Would add much needed flair and creativity to the attack.

Persuading him won't be the difficult part. Finding the £25m that Shakhtar are demanding, plus wages (Russia is the highest waged league around remember, so he will have to take a substantial cut to move to us) will be the issue.

Shakhtar are absolutely loaded, so have no incentive to drop their price.

Persuading him won't be the difficult part. Finding the £25m that Shakhtar are demanding, plus wages (Russia is the highest waged league around remember, so he will have to take a substantial cut to move to us) will be the issue.

Shakhtar are based in Ukraine, so the wages are really only high relative to Dynamo Kiev and Dnipro Dnipropetrovsk, but other than that, pretty much spot on. Willian will cost a LOT of money, unless his contract's going to run out soon. Roughly the same amount as we were allegedly prepared to spend on Moutinho, most likely. So it won't be Willian + one other if we do end up going for him, it'll just be him.

What Dubaispur said.

We didn't splash the cash when we were in the perfect position to benefit from it last year.

Why anyone thinks we're going to spend big whilst it looks like we're not going to be in such a great position is crazy.

Shakhtar are based in Ukraine, so the wages are really only high relative to Dynamo Kiev and Dnipro Dnipropetrovsk, but other than that, pretty much spot on. Willian will cost a LOT of money, unless his contract's going to run out soon. Roughly the same amount as we were allegedly prepared to spend on Moutinho, most likely. So it won't be Willian + one other if we do end up going for him, it'll just be him.

Agree.

And if we're going to spend £20m+ and those sort of wages on just one player, then Willian would be a distance third behind Moutinho and Leandro for me.

We didn't splash the cash when we were in the perfect position to benefit from it last year.

Why anyone thinks we're going to spend big whilst it looks like we're not going to be in such a great position is crazy.

Hopefully the difference is that Levy trusts AVB to spend sustainably and in a way that will generate return on investment (through sustained success), which he obviously didn't with Redknapp when he was banging on about Rio Ferdinand, Joe Cole and Craig Bellamy 10 months ago.

Agree.

And if we're going to spend £20m+ and those sort of wages on just one player, then Willian would be a distance third behind Moutinho and Leandro for me.

GB did you actually read what he said? he just said Shakhtar are not Russian based so wages tare not high...to which you're agreeing but still mentioning the wages being high?

GB did you actually read what he said? he just said Shakhtar are not Russian based so wages tare not high...to which you're agreeing but still mentioning the wages being high?

Sorry - I was agreeing with your comment that's we'll only be able to sign one player in this bracket.

Although Shakhtar are obviously not in Russia, they are still subsidised by an oil billionaire like many Russian clubs are. Just like PSG do, they have to pay well over the top wages to attract decent foreign prospects to that league.

Willian himself has previously talked about how he would need to take a significant pay cut to enable a move to Chelsea (who obviously pay much better than we do).

Oh don't worry, when Chelski cough up the cash for transfer and wages, he will be persuaded.

And then sent out on loan with the rest of Chelski's leftovers after about a month in blue.

I disagree.

Who have Chelsea signed for £20m+ that have been left to rot on the bench or loaned out? I can't think of many personally.

If they pay that kind of money for him it's kind of implied that they rate him very highly and that he will get game time. Players like Luiz, Ramires and Torres have been varying in their performance, but without being overlooked later on. Partly because they haven't had other better players, but also partly because once they've paid that kind of money for them they seemingly give them a good chance to adapt.

Much more puzzling that players like Marin and Moses go there to join the ranks of Parker and Sidwell who were brought in fairly cheaply and hardly even given a go at things. Even Sturridge even though he has been there a while was brought in fairly cheaply and it's much easier for the manager to look past him when selecting a team than someone really expensive.

Also, if he's not any better than Marin, Moses and Sturridge I wouldn't want Spurs to pay anywhere near the kind of money that is being mentioned for him.

Lukaku was bought for £18m and hardly got a game. Loaned out.
Zhirkov was bought for £18m and hardly got given a proper go.
SWP was bought for £21m and ended up rotting on the bench.

Lukaku was bought for £18m and hardly got a game. Loaned out.
Zhirkov was bought for £18m and hardly got given a proper go.
SWP was bought for £21m and ended up rotting on the bench.

Lukaku is still very young, time will tell how that works out.

I'll give you Zhirkov and SWP, although Zhirkov did get quite a few games.

That's still the rather large majority of the £20m+ (and around) players that have been given a proper go and not much worse if worse at all than most clubs that regularly buy players in that kind of price range I would guess.

Back