• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The Immense Struggle to avoid the European Conference League

I don't disagree, but our defense hasn't been this bad in a while. You have to go back to 14/15 to find a season where we shipped in so many goals. Even the season we finished 7th we weren't as bad defensively.

Everyone is clamoring for a CB, but at the start of the season I don't think anyone thought CB was our highest priority, given how well we performed at the tail end of the previous season. Of course now it is, but that's more in hindsight.

:eek:

I don't disagree, but our defense hasn't been this bad in a while. You have to go back to 14/15 to find a season where we shipped in so many goals. Even the season we finished 7th we weren't as bad defensively.

Everyone is clamoring for a CB, but at the start of the season I don't think anyone thought CB was our highest priority, given how well we performed at the tail end of the previous season. Of course now it is, but that's more in hindsight.
Including the manager who prioritised other areas
Amazing how quickly the wheels can fall off
For us it started with Hugo though in big games making basic childlike errors

As of today, we cannot be overtaken by the following :-

Leeds United ..... ..... GW31
Everton ..... ..... ..... GW30
Nottingham Forest ..... GW30
Leicester City .... ..... GW30
Southampton ..... ..... GW30
All the while getting less optimistic about being optimistic.

I thought CB was a priority last summer and we were looking at lots of top name CB's (especially a leftsided one) but failed to sign anyone and ended up with Lenglet on loan.
We were looking at LCBs, not so much because our defense was weak, but because we wanted a better ball-playing LCB in place of Davies. And we were not targeting any CCBs either, given how well Dier had performed. Even Sanchez had done very well each time he played. I honestly don't know how it all went so horribly wrong this season. Slot's philosophy may offer a clue: "Slot believes that more defensive football is not only more tiring but less stimulating for the players. Slot argues they cannot improve by primarily thinking about defending."

I honestly don't know how it all went so horribly wrong this season.

I think part is simply that if you invite teams to attack you by playing counter attack football and do this despite you having a poor defence, your poor defenders at some point will break under the pressure. Could have happened last year, but did more so this season. Possibly just luck. Having no leaders in the team which could help yuo through difficult times doesnt help either.

Also Son and Perisic's form, and to an extent Kulu too, this season haven't helped either given that if a number of your key attacking players are on dreadful form then they'll lose the ball quicker, giving more possession to the other team and thereby putting your weak defence under even more pressure.

Our tactics under Jose, Nuno and Conte make zero sense when your defenders are weak. The tactics have put more pressure on the weakest part of our team. Completely illogical

I think part is simply that if you invite teams to attack you by playing counter attack football and do this despite you having a poor defence, your poor defenders at some point will break under the pressure. Could have happened last year, but did more so this season. Possibly just luck. Having no leaders in the team which could help yuo through difficult times doesnt help either.

Also Son and Perisic's form, and to an extent Kulu too, this season haven't helped either given that if a number of your key attacking players are on dreadful form then they'll lose the ball quicker, giving more possession to the other team and thereby putting your weak defence under even more pressure.

Our tactics under Jose, Nuno and Conte make zero sense when your defenders are weak. The tactics have put more pressure on the weakest part of our team. Completely illogical
Add in a keeper that doesn't instill confidence in the defence and it's a recipe for trouble.

I think we all were but then the defence off the back of last season looked solid
Not really.

We did a lot of massed ranks defending last season and remarkably skipped the glaring mistakes that have been a constant problem for us these last 5 years or so. The numbers looked decent but it wasn't because individually our defenders were of high quality. A bit like under Jose we just had a hell of a lot of bodies in the box and in the way making it difficult for clean opportunities for the opposition. 1 on 1 we still had our issues and in situations that required good decision making we were often still lacking at times.

I wanted a left sided CB and a central CB in the summer. It seemed we were very strong on the LCB but probably thought between Dier and Sanchez we had enough to get by.

Sent from my XQ-BC72 using Fapatalk

Not really.

We did a lot of massed ranks defending last season and remarkably skipped the glaring mistakes that have been a constant problem for us these last 5 years or so. The numbers looked decent but it wasn't because individually our defenders were of high quality. A bit like under Jose we just had a hell of a lot of bodies in the box and in the way making it difficult for clean opportunities for the opposition. 1 on 1 we still had our issues and in situations that required good decision making we were often still lacking at times.

I wanted a left sided CB and a central CB in the summer. It seemed we were very strong on the LCB but probably thought between Dier and Sanchez we had enough to get by.

But conte didn’t push for this
And w know he pushes for what he wants
So I assume he was happy
We defended as a team much better and a key last season was we didn’t have a keeper cost us so many points

But conte didn’t push for this
And w know he pushes for what he wants
So I assume he was happy
We defended as a team much better and a key last season was we didn’t have a keeper cost us so many points
Yeah Conte seemed to mistakenly believe that Dier and Sanchez would be enough and Lloris has been a bit of a disaster which tbh is unsurprisingly he's been on his way down for a while.

If by defending as a team you mean the entire team in and around our own penalty box then yeah sure enough. But in terms of individual defending and group defending we were quite lacking. Sheer numbers is what worked and I'm always weary of classing that as good defending. We just had a hell of a lot of bodies in the way. [emoji28]

Yeah Conte seemed to mistakenly believe that Dier and Sanchez would be enough and Lloris has been a bit of a disaster which tbh is unsurprisingly he's been on his way down for a while.

If by defending as a team you mean the entire team in and around our own penalty box then yeah sure enough. But in terms of individual defending and group defending we were quite lacking. Sheer numbers is what worked and I'm always weary of classing that as good defending. We just had a hell of a lot of bodies in the way. [emoji28]

I don’t agree that we played that way last season
I think we were more expansive
But a key was… we scored first and early

The continued adherence to a strict format of play when we don’t have the players for it is bemusing.
If you want to play out from the back, play Forster, not Lloris, for example. And if you don’t want to be continually overrun in midfield, maybe play three in midfield.
Based on our defence and recent performances, I'd play with two goalkeepers as well.

We were looking at LCBs, not so much because our defense was weak, but because we wanted a better ball-playing LCB in place of Davies. And we were not targeting any CCBs either, given how well Dier had performed. Even Sanchez had done very well each time he played. I honestly don't know how it all went so horribly wrong this season. Slot's philosophy may offer a clue: "Slot believes that more defensive football is not only more tiring but less stimulating for the players. Slot argues they cannot improve by primarily thinking about defending."

The talk all through the summer was that despite getting 4th, our defence was still weak and we needed two CB's at the level of Romero if we wanted to challenge this season.
We were all talking about spending big money on one younger CB and also picking one on the many free transfers available at the time, as Dier wasn't the solution going forward. We also talked about the fact that that's what Conte would want to make us challenge in his second season and as we secured CL, it would be possible.
We got linked with so many names (rumours, I know).
But in the end we ended up getting a substandard reject on Loan as nothing materialised.
Then everyone said it's because we couldn't complete the deal in summer for our main target and we will probably go back for it in the winter.
Conte wanted CB's but didn't get them, the writing was on the wall.
The problem is we Spurs fans live in hope that the rubbish we have are better than we really know they are. Then we wonder why we don't win anything.
When we have seen a team with the quality Toby and Jan, why are we deluding ourselves to say that having anyone of Dier, Langlet and Davies as first choice is not a crisis in defence?

The last time we had anything like the quality of Toby and Jan was when we had King and Woodgate for a season and a bit. Is it a coincidence that that was the last time we managed to cross the line and win a trophy?

Not really.

You make it sound like we were playing Burnley football. I mean, in our last 13 games we let in 8 goals (that's 0.6 GA per game!) and scored 35. Nah mate, the defense was fine last year and not at the expense of scoring goals. Not sure how it all went to brick this season.

You make it sound like we were playing Burnley football. I mean, in our last 13 games we let in 8 goals (that's 0.6 GA per game!) and scored 35. Nah mate, the defense was fine last year and not at the expense of scoring goals. Not sure how it all went to brick this season.

Last season Conte didn't have the time to really implement his approach having joined part way through the season, this season we have seen what the team looks like with him having had a full preseason to get stuck in to the players.

Back