• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The Immense Struggle to avoid the European Conference League

How about Kulu (who we don’t have a decent back up for even tho Gil played decently ina. Couple of games) and Lloris (even tho he’s had a horrible season he is a regular). Richie has been out for long chunks too. The amount of injuries is disruptive.
Richie hardly got any games when fit lloris some would say that was a good thing. Kulu, ok,I'll give you . But tbh we've always had seasons with injuries to key players but , imho, perhaps, Kulu aside we have never been in as good a position as we have been this season in terms of cover. Injuries alone don't absolve the manager for poor form.

Bonkers. IIRC, it sounded very much like he wanted to come, he seemed to have the required physicality, there's the Sonny link of course -- why wouldn't we have taken a punt?!
Think I read some quotes from Mourinho saying he asked the club to buy him but the club had reservations about him and didn’t think he was worth the money (can only think ‘the club’ means Hitchen here?

Think I read some quotes from Mourinho saying he asked the club to buy him but the club had reservations about him and didn’t think he was worth the money (can only think ‘the club’ means Hitchen here?
Yep but he said that at Roma
And got his timing wrong of where he was at as a player (Kim)
When I read the Jose quotes it read to me of someone being smart after the event

whoever was in charge though missed a trick
For the original fee it was a no brainer

I don’t think this season has been extraordinary for injuries. Where we have had them, Bentancur aside, either it’s not been a regular or we have had cover in that area. That’s how it feels anyway.
I believe statistically the English’s side in the CL have had a higher proportion of injuries compared or normal. Something came out on it a few months ago
Don’t forget we have had a compressed season as a World Cup
Some teams haven’t had the pain of their players going through those stresses and their performances have shown thag

Bonkers. IIRC, it sounded very much like he wanted to come, he seemed to have the required physicality, there's the Sonny link of course -- why wouldn't we have taken a punt?!
Because we were backing fudging Conte. Two players we were linked to, him and Kvaratshkelia, that Conte more than likely didn't want and we didn't get them as a result. Not that it would have made any difference. They would be rotting on the bench in favor of playing an out-of-form Sonny and Dier/Sanchez.

Because we were backing fudging Conte. Two players we were linked to, him and Kvaratshkelia, that Conte more than likely didn't want and we didn't get them as a result. Not that it would have made any difference. They would be rotting on the bench in favor of playing an out-of-form Sonny and Dier/Sanchez.
I'm sure the links were earlier than that, before he went to Fenerbahce, so it would have been Mourinho in charge.

Hahahaha We’re 5th! I do wonder what some of our modern support would have done pre Enic when mid-table was a good season!

ahorcado-de-nudo.jpg

Hahahaha We’re 5th! I do wonder what some of our modern support would have done pre Enic when mid-table was a good season!

You say that like if ENIC hadn't taken over we wouldn't be where we are today...As if someone else couldn't have taken over from Sugar and done a better job.. . will never know.

What we do know is that in the 20+ years of ENIC we have finished about 7 times in the top 4.
But if look at the 80s before Sugar in those 10 years we finished 5 times in the top 4 anyway (I might need to double check that).
So it's not like we shouldn't be aiming for that anyway. We also won many trophies in the 80s.

So whilst ENIC have done a great job in stabilising the finances and infrastructure, the football achievements can be significantly questionable.

People say pre-enic and only refer to the few seasons under Sugar. Maybe that's all the can refer to due to their age. I support Spurs since 1979 so maybe I remember having great teams who were challenging in the top 4 or winning trophies.
What I do know is that the term "Sp'ursy" is a creation of Legacy of ENIC.

You say that like if ENIC hadn't taken over we wouldn't be where we are today...As if someone else couldn't have taken over from Sugar and done a better job.. . will never know.

What we do know is that in the 20+ years of ENIC we have finished about 7 times in the top 4.
But if look at the 80s before Sugar in those 10 years we finished 5 times in the top 4 anyway (I might need to double check that).
So it's not like we shouldn't be aiming for that anyway. We also won many trophies in the 80s.

So whilst ENIC have done a great job in stabilising the finances and infrastructure, the football achievements can be significantly questionable.

People say pre-enic and only refer to the few seasons under Sugar. Maybe that's all the can refer to due to their age. I support Spurs since 1979 so maybe I remember having great teams who were challenging in the top 4 or winning trophies.

Football changed in the PL era with the tv money & CL format helping to establish a closed off top 4, breifly Saudi Sportswashing Machine & Leeds gave it a go early on, before they dropped out of the league and Everton had 1 season breaking in before dropping down to a mid to lower table side but i think the fact that we are the only side* to have broken in and remained around the top end of the table during our off years shows quite well that the chances of other owners repeating that are quite slim, at least not without providing a lot of outside funding to do so.

*Obviously City as well but they are state backed so not a fair comparison.

Sugar was slap bang in the middle of the Sky revolution, and still managed to fudge up our PL/CL involvement. Sold a few dishes though. It could've been a lot, lot worse than Enic, with only a tiny chance (i.e if Ambramovich or Etihad had bought us, and these came later) it was ever going to be better trophy wise, if not worse morally.

We were going bankrupt at least twice in the 80s and 90s
The new stand tucked is up
That era was very different though
The game had less fans attending and awful facilities
It’s evolved massively
Now though you need mega money just to be relevant

It's all hypothetical...but we weren't at any risk of Bankruptcy under Sugar, the Prem money had started. But if he hadn't sold to ENIC and if he waited for someone else to come in there is nothing to say we would have or wouldn't have been in the same position now.

ENIC didn't save us from financial troubles, they just ended the Sugar era which was frustrating for Spurs fans. It was Sugar/Tel who saved us from Bankruptcy.

My comments are purely in reference to people who imply we should be grateful to ENIC/Levy as we don't remember how life was before ENIC...as if ENIC were some great saviour.

ENIC are a business who purchased Spurs at a good time from business point of view. A sleeping giant who was stable financial but with the potential to become a massive investment with all the money coming in to Football.
Other businesses could have come in at any point over that 12-24 and done the same or better.

Judge ENIC on the football business they purchased, but do not make at that we owe them anything. It's all business for them and it should be how we should scrutinized them.

It's all hypothetical...but we weren't at any risk of Bankruptcy under Sugar, the Prem money had started. But if he hadn't sold to ENIC and if he waited for someone else to come in there is nothing to say we would have or wouldn't have been in the same position now.

ENIC didn't save us from financial troubles, they just ended the Sugar era which was frustrating for Spurs fans. It was Sugar/Tel who saved us from Bankruptcy.

My comments are purely in reference to people who imply we should be grateful to ENIC/Levy as we don't remember how life was before ENIC...as if ENIC were some great saviour.

ENIC are a business who purchased Spurs at a good time from business point of view. A sleeping giant who was stable financial but with the potential to become a massive investment with all the money coming in to Football.
Other businesses could have come in at any point over that 12-24 and done the same or better.

Judge ENIC on the football business they purchased, but do not make at that we owe them anything. It's all business for them and it should be how we should scrutinized them.
totalbrick

Back