• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The Immense Struggle to avoid the European Conference League

You make it sound like we were playing Burnley football. I mean, in our last 13 games we let in 8 goals (that's 0.6 GA per game!) and scored 35. Nah mate, the defense was fine last year and not at the expense of scoring goals. Not sure how it all went to brick this season.
It went to brick as key players started really making basic, basic errors
Hugo being a big one
I can’t think of him making an error leading to a key goal last season
I can think of many this season
When it starts from your keeper you have issues
Then add in our best CB saving himself for the World Cup ….
Then pile on with the other issues such as retaining the ball in the attacking third and it all becomes a cluster fudge

I don't disagree, but our defense hasn't been this bad in a while. You have to go back to 14/15 to find a season where we shipped in so many goals. Even the season we finished 7th we weren't as bad defensively.

Everyone is clamoring for a CB, but at the start of the season I don't think anyone thought CB was our highest priority, given how well we performed at the tail end of the previous season. Of course now it is, but that's more in hindsight.

Actually, many on here were clamoring for a top quality left sided centre back in the summer.

Actually, many on here were clamoring for a top quality left sided centre back in the summer.
Yes, they were, but not because we were not solid defensively last year. It was because we wanted a ball-playing LCB for Conte's system, given Davies was limited in that area.

Last season Conte didn't have the time to really implement his approach having joined part way through the season, this season we have seen what the team looks like with him having had a full preseason to get stuck in to the players.
I said it in another post that I think that the full Conte preseason was more detrimental than helpful. In his first season he implemented an outline of his system, but there was still some freedom for the players to express themselves. Once he went all rigid, it just stifled the performances. All Conte had to do was dial it back a bit> Who knows, maybe that might have impacted the performances to the better.

We were also linked to Bremer for a long time during the summer but maybe just speculation.
We were, but that was one we thought was even less necessary, given he's a CCB and everyone was really happy with Dier at the time.

We were, but that was one we thought was even less necessary, given he's a CCB and everyone was really happy with Dier at the time.

I don't get how you could say "everyone was really happy with Dier".

No one has been happy with Dier for a long long time (apart from a few Dier fan boys). Even in the summer. We were all saying we need Two new CB urgently.

From the fan's perspective the guys been a weak link every since he kicked up stink about wanting to play in defence.

He's a very good squad utility player who should always be on the bench when all of the first 11 are fit. He should never be first choice in any position. That's cos he's undependable over a whole season. He's the epitome of Sp'ursy. All mouth and no substance.

This club will never move forward until he has been moved on. He is a poisoned chalice for each and every manager and will end up getting them sacked.

Dier needs to be sold before even Sanchez to be honest. As Dier is toxic to our progression under the new manager. Having Sanchez at the club but not playing him will have no bearing on the squad. Having Dier at the club but not playing him, is gonna be a problem.

Injuries are one part of it imo. We've had lots of players out with injuries for long periods, while those not injured were out of form. We've not had much luck in that department.

Reality is not accepted when folks just want to bitch. All clubs get injurys but i can not remember a season when we have had so many ( especially long term)

I don't get how you could say "everyone was really happy with Dier".

No one has been happy with Dier for a long long time (apart from a few Dier fan boys). Even in the summer. We were all saying we need Two new CB urgently.

From the fan's perspective the guys been a weak link every since he kicked up stink about wanting to play in defence.

He's a very good squad utility player who should always be on the bench when all of the first 11 are fit. He should never be first choice in any position. That's cos he's undependable over a whole season. He's the epitome of Sp'ursy. All mouth and no substance.

This club will never move forward until he has been moved on. He is a poisoned chalice for each and every manager and will end up getting them sacked.

Dier needs to be sold before even Sanchez to be honest. As Dier is toxic to our progression under the new manager. Having Sanchez at the club but not playing him will have no bearing on the squad. Having Dier at the club but not playing him, is gonna be a problem.
We're saying this now, but iirc at the tail end of last season we were singing a different tune. Everyone was saying how improved he was under Conte and that CCB was not a priority decision.

We're saying this now, but iirc at the tail end of last season we were singing a different tune. Everyone was saying how improved he was under Conte and that CCB was not a priority decision.

As i remember it people acknowledged the improvement in performances but there was also a sentiment that it was not going to last/we still needed competition at the very least, i do agree that it wasn't considered an outright priority of the fanbase to sign a CCB in the way that LCB was considered

You may have been thinking that, most fans new that in the Summer Dier had to be upgraded.
There was no way we were looking forward to going into the new season with Dier as first choice CB...

You may have been thinking that, most fans new that in the Summer Dier had to be upgraded.
There was no way we were looking forward to going into the new season with Dier as first choice CB...

I always chuckle to myself when I read about our need for a left sided central defender.

We scouted Kim Min-jae and he was available we did not sign him so Fenebache signed him for 3 million Euros. He excelled there so Napoli signed him for 18 million Euros the following summer. Alas, now he is probably out of our league.

I always chuckle to myself when I read about our need for a left sided central defender.

We scouted Kim Min-jae and he was available we did not sign him so Fenebache signed him for 3 million Euros. He excelled there so Napoli signed him for 18 million Euros the following summer. Alas, now he is probably out of our league.

Def missed a trick not signing him. And I am sure Sonny would have made him very welcome and help him 'bed in' quickly

Bonkers. IIRC, it sounded very much like he wanted to come, he seemed to have the required physicality, there's the Sonny link of course -- why wouldn't we have taken a punt?!

Bonkers. IIRC, it sounded very much like he wanted to come, he seemed to have the required physicality, there's the Sonny link of course -- why wouldn't we have taken a punt?!

Indeed, and he has been arguably the best central defender in Italy this season, the Kingpin in Napoli's defence.

He would have walked here
Guy really looked like he may be quality but you never know
So we bottled it

Reality is not accepted when folks just want to bitch. All clubs get injurys but i can not remember a season when we have had so many ( especially long term)
I don’t think this season has been extraordinary for injuries. Where we have had them, Bentancur aside, either it’s not been a regular or we have had cover in that area. That’s how it feels anyway.

I don’t think this season has been extraordinary for injuries. Where we have had them, Bentancur aside, either it’s not been a regular or we have had cover in that area. That’s how it feels anyway.
How about Kulu (who we don’t have a decent back up for even tho Gil played decently ina. Couple of games) and Lloris (even tho he’s had a horrible season he is a regular). Richie has been out for long chunks too. The amount of injuries is disruptive.

Back