• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The Goon Thread

Wheelchair is a very good young player.

But that doesn't mean that he isn't also overrated.

The way some in the English media talk about him, you'd think that he's already world class.

And he is nowhere near that level yet.

I remember reading an article talking about the next young crop of English stars headlined by Wheelchair and Bostock. Why did ours have to come brick, so disappointing!

I no longer have the time nor the patience to read this board properly, so this point may well have already been raised, but I think it is hilarious for Arsenal to be announcing 5 new contracts on the same day while ickle Theo holds them to ransom. It seems as if they are trying to give the impression that their future is secure, which couldn't be further from the truth.

You just know that when these players start to get to the right age (and the right level of ability/consistency) the big clubs will start circling them, and they fact that this has not yet happened is a measure of their immaturity, not Arsenal's ability to keep their youngsters. These contracts are nothing but insurance against such players being gifted the negotiating power that has been exercised time and time again over the last few years. Walcott isn't even a class player and they are even at risk of losing him.

Wheelchair is the only decent bit of news out of those 5 contracts, he is the only one who could be a serious force in the near future and even he is inconsistent and hot-headed - it will be 3 or 4 years before he starts to peak, by which point he will have a couple of years left on his contract and his 'love' for Arsenal may well have diminished in favour of his professional ambitions. Just as it did for Fabregas and RVP.

Meanwhile Walcott continues to dig his heels in and Wenger's Christmas deadline looks increasingly speculative - only making him seem more powerless and deluded.

I don't care what their goal difference is, nor that they are a mere 2 points behind us. If we finish below them this season it is purely our fault. They are over the hill as a club and unless some ridiculous things go on in January, they are worse than us both in terms of first XI and squad depth.

Gibbs is still unaware of how to play an offside trap. He is decent but again, it'll be a few years before he is good enough for the big European clubs to take interest.

Rose is better than Gibbs.

Not from what I've seen of Rose with us. It might be that when he returns to us he will prove better than Gibbs, then again we might sell him, so who knows on that score, not me anyway.

In general, if we finish below Arsenal it will almost certainly be because they are better than us, and I think some posters are seriously underestimating how good Arsenal still are.

Time will tell of course. They are favourites to finish above us for some very good reasons, their squad is of a similar level to ours and they have proven course and distance over us time and again and again.

Last edited:
I'm not underestimating them, If I had to put money on us or them finishing in the top 4 then it would be them. I just think Danny Rose is better than the rarely fit Gibbs and will go on to have a better career than him. I watch Gibbs and I see nothing other than a decent enough athlete who can pop it about nicely with little conviction in his play. I don't think he's a great defender and has the Walker bug of playing everyone else onside and I don't see him contributing much going forward. I watch Danny and he's quick, very tenacious, switched on and strides forward down the left trying to actualy push Sunderland forward.

Infact, I think Arsenal have a problem with a lot of these players in that they look nice on the eye, they play it around comfortably but they're not greatly effecting the game at either end of the pitch. Wheelchair - excellent 1st touch, control, spacial awareness, short passing but at the end of the day you need more than that if you're going to be as highly rated as many claim he already is, for me he's a slightly more dynamic and aggressive version of Joe Allen. I think a team with a fully fit(never going to happen) Abou Diaby gets more points than one with Wheelchair. Oxlade Chamberlain has been fast tracked into the England side for pretty much no reason other than he's young and plays for Arsenal - what is his game exactly? He's a promising talent who is quite good at a lot of things but I see no standout ability in his game. Jenkinson will probably find it hard to shake off the "joke" tag from other supporters but he's actually looked pretty decent in fairness to him, not sure how much he can really push on but he's not a bad player. Ramsey's lost his way completely, not sure he'll ever get "it" back.

Wheelchair would be in our side right now, Oxlade Chamberlain would be a useful option to have. I don't think Gibbs would be much use to our squad, especially with his injury problems, Jenkinson could probably compete for a RB spot but I doubt he'd ever hold down a 1st team place for an extended amount of time and Ramsey just isn't good enough. I'm sure Arsenal fans are happy to tie them all down to long contracts but if that is their "core for the future" then I think they have more to worry about than we do.

I still don't see anything good about Jenkinson. If anything his confidence has risen and that is why he's looked better than he did last year when he was obviously nervous every game. Which you are bound to be when you go to Arsenal at that age and get thrown in at the deep end because the first choice right back gets injured.

He is still error prone and even cost Arsenal all 3 points against Swansea by just not releasing the ball. I'd just only TWO players from Arsenal who would come here and start right now and that is Bacary Sagna for right back and Santi Cazorla to play off of Adebayor. That is it.

Anyone who thinks Wheelchair is overrated take your rose tinted glasses off for a second and get a grip. We all wish we had a player like him.

He's a great player, who's also overrated. People are talking of him winning a World Cup for England single handedly, he ain't that good.

He's a great player, who's also overrated. People are talking of him winning a World Cup for England single handedly, he ain't that good.

He ain't that good YET. The little ugly vile hideous scumbag is 20 and just back after a 17 month injury. For someone that inexperienced he shows HUGE potential.

He ain't that good YET. The little ugly vile hideous scumbag is 20 and just back after a 17 month injury. For someone that inexperienced he shows HUGE potential.

England's biggest problem in tournaments is we can't keep the ball. All I hear from pundits/scum fans is that we will be fine once Wheelchair gets back into the England side, he's not Messi. One player who is good on the ball isn't going to solve all of our problems.

all either:

a) vastly overrated. (oxlade-chamberlain, Wheelchair)

or

b) brick. (jenkinson, ramsey, gibbs)

or a combination of both, this image doesn't strike fear into me at all.

Ramsey is brick, even scum fans say that!

Jenskinson is average.

Gibbs is a very good left back and will be one of the best left backs in the prem for years to come.

The Ox is a good player, but he is also overrated.

I can't stand Wheelchair, but I would have a player of his ability (not him specifically) in my team any day of the week.

I still don't see anything good about Jenkinson. If anything his confidence has risen and that is why he's looked better than he did last year when he was obviously nervous every game. Which you are bound to be when you go to Arsenal at that age and get thrown in at the deep end because the first choice right back gets injured.

He is still error prone and even cost Arsenal all 3 points against Swansea by just not releasing the ball. I'd just only TWO players from Arsenal who would come here and start right now and that is Bacary Sagna for right back and Santi Cazorla to play off of Adebayor. That is it.

I agree. I don't think it is reasonable to claim that Arsenal are still better than us. It's about neck and neck - I think we have the better personnel but they have a system that has been in place for years and is conducive to winning a lot of points over the course of a season; personnel means less for them. They are more reliable, but I think if we even come close to reaching our potential for the rest of the year we will come above them quite comfortably. Of course I don't anticipate that happening but we still should nick it ([-o<)

Ramsey is brick, even scum fans say that!

Jenskinson is average.

Gibbs is a very good left back and will be one of the best left backs in the prem for years to come.

The Ox is a good player, but he is also overrated.

I can't stand Wheelchair, but I would have a player of his ability (not him specifically) in my team any day of the week.

In 3 or 4 years' time Ramsey will not be amazing (broken leg seems to have ruined his career) and Jenkinson will still be brick.

Gibbs will be a top left back, Chamberlain will be on his way to becoming a top player and Wheelchair will be Arsenal captain and probably one of the best players in the league.

The ramifications of this? The first 2 will stay until they are replaced by some new, younger signings and the latter 3 will all be on their way out! That is of course unless Arsenal appoint a decent manager..

In 3 or 4 years' time Ramsey will not be amazing (broken leg seems to have ruined his career) and Jenkinson will still be brick.

Gibbs will be a top left back, Chamberlain will be on his way to becoming a top player and Wheelchair will be Arsenal captain and probably one of the best players in the league.

The ramifications of this? The first 2 will stay until they are replaced by some new, younger signings and the latter 3 will all be on their way out! That is of course unless Arsenal appoint a decent manager..

I could possibly see Wheelchair staying for the duration, but I agree the other good players will go if they don't improve, that's how football works.

Another thing, why is there such a big fuss being made about whether Walcott stays or goes? Another overrated English player who plays for Arsenal. Why would any top club want him? He wouldn't start for United, Emirates Marketing Project or Chelsea.

Back