• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The Goon Thread

Fair points.

I think however it could also be said that Wenger 'had' a bigger winning mentality in the past; he has slowly been less and less able to re-create, though of course he does have the experience of winning in the first place.

Time will tell, but hopefully we can finally prove this year to be able to surpass them; it really would lead to mass suicide in the Gooner fan ranks; they REALLY wouldn't be able to handle being beneath us.

COYS
Fair comments too GG, I would love it absolutely love it if we finally finish above them. It's prety much the only thing they're clinging onto these days, forever finishing above us and getting CL

We finish above them, for me that knocks them out of the CL as well. A double whammy which as you say will cause a mass implosion in the already fragile Arsenal ranks. It might shut Chesney up too for a while :)

Yes, but didn't we massively close the gap under Harry?? We have been finishing behind Arsenal for years and long before Harry got to uis; plus the gaps were so large that St Totteringham's day was often in early April.
Perhaps your statement should be 'Wenger has had it over every Spurs manager since he's been with Arsenal and only Harry and Jol got close to overtaking him and now I think that AVB will overtake Wenger'.

Also, please can you describe what you mean by 'winning mentality'.
Jol was the only manager to get us within a point of the goons; he was only a dodgy lasagne away from doing it. Lets face it they have made a pact with the devil to finish above us.

I don't really think Arsenal have this amazing winning mentality. I think they are a confidence squad. When it's going well for them it goes very well, when it isn't they retreat into their shells. If they had a winning mentality I think they'd have made a bigger fist of a title challenge over the past few years.

RVP had a winning mentality. Probably their last player that did. He was the one that got them out of trouble. This current crop...I don't actually fear too much and their win over us was seriously lucky and papered over the cracks.

You may be right, but Wenger always manages to get them in the top 4 season in season out. I was convinced we woulf finish above them last season. I accept that they are worse than they were last season, but I'm not getting excited until the day we are above them and there is no mathmatical way we can finish below them.

...plus there's still the Jan transfer window and from current reports Arsenal FC have a fresh injection of funds for transfers from the settling of the books of the new stadium and renegotiated sponsorship deals. financially we're still not top 4 yet (especially wages and performance bonuses where it counts) and our stadium plans are yet delayed.... if we do make top 4 and CL we would have done really well.... pity the rags still don't recognize how big an achievement it was in recent years, but chose to focus on off field antics e.g. OS bid, Redknapps' trial...

Re: OT Sol Campbell Says Theo Must Stay and Be Loyal...

Yep no criticism of Walcott in there at all. In fact, he's criticising the club for not paying him enough, which pretty much sums up what Campbell has always been about

Exactly. Campbell is being true to his principles, backing the player asking for more and criticising the club for not breaking their wage structure to accommodate him.

...plus there's still the Jan transfer window and from current reports Arsenal FC have a fresh injection of funds for transfers from the settling of the books of the new stadium and renegotiated sponsorship deals. financially we're still not top 4 yet (especially wages and performance bonuses where it counts) and our stadium plans are yet delayed...

The acid test is if both Scum and Spurs are bidding for the same player (not developing youth player but full fledged international), which club the said player is more likely to sign. at this stage, I think it is still more likely that the Scum will win the player signing. (unless the Scum still insists on inclusion of a 25% salary reduction in the event of failing to qualify for UCL)

We finished a point behind them last season too.

You can point to a lot of different points throughout the season, but for me, that last minute penalty at City was the big one.
I can still remember Benny keeping the ball in play when he could have just let it run out of play and then threw the ball back to Friedel wasting good 30 seconds. I still say had he done that the whistle would have blown as Brad hoofed the ball back upfield.
Of course, had WBA had a decent goalie on the last day, but thats another matter entirely

You can point to a lot of different points throughout the season, but for me, that last minute penalty at City was the big one.
I can still remember Benny keeping the ball in play when he could have just let it run out of play and then threw the ball back to Friedel wasting good 30 seconds. I still say had he done that the whistle would have blown as Brad hoofed the ball back upfield.
Of course, had WBA had a decent goalie on the last day, but thats another matter entirely

I understand why he didn't let it out though. He obviously thought we could go and win the game and we didn't want to settle for the draw (considering how close we came moments before). I believe he mentioned this to his followers on twitter after getting abused for it.

I'd say Defoe missing at the other end was a bigger one imo..

Five young internationals sign new contracts

Arsenal Football Club is delighted to announce that five of its young internationals have today signed new long-term contracts.

The quintet of Kieran Gibbs (23), Carl Jenkinson (20), Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain (19), Aaron Ramsey (21) and Jack Wheelchair (20), who are all full internationals, and between them have already made more than 350 first-team appearances for the Gunners, have all committed their long-term futures to Arsenal.

All five players who have signed new deals represent British countries. Midfielder Ramsey has made the most appearances for his country, playing 24 times and also captaining the Wales national team. The other four players who have put pen to paper on new deals, are all full England internationals. Defender Jenkinson is the most recent to win his first cap, making his full England debut in November in the friendly international in Sweden. Defender Gibbs was a regular under-21 international and has now won two England caps, with midfielder Wheelchair representing the Three Lions on nine occasions.

Manager Arsène Wenger said: “We are delighted that these five young players have all signed new long-term contracts. The plan is to build a team around a strong basis of young players, in order to get them to develop their talent at the Club. Jack is certainly the best known, the leader of this group - but the other four players are exceptional footballers, and we’re very happy that we could conclude their new deals at the same time.

Wenger continued: “Gibbs, Jenkinson, Oxlade-Chamberlain, Ramsey and Wheelchair represent a core of the squad and it’s an extension for a long period for all of them. I’m a strong believer in stability and I believe when you have a core of British players, it’s always easier to keep them together and that’s what we’ll try to achieve going forward.”

Everyone at Arsenal Football Club looks forward to the continued contribution of Kieran, Carl, Alex, Aaron and Jack in the forthcoming years.

gun__1355928975_5signings.jpg

No Walcott though.

Wheelchair is a massive signing for them, as I said elsewhere he can be their new Adams, he is so up for it when he plays.

Wheelchair is a massive signing for them, as I said elsewhere he can be their new Adams, he is so up for it when he plays.

Long contracts don't mean that players stay. Didn't Modders have 3 or 4 years on his when he left?

I wouldn't say that he's a "massive signing". He was always expected to sign a new contract.

Long contracts don't mean that players stay. Didn't Modders have 3 or 4 years on his when he left?

that's true, but I think Wheelchair will stay and become the new 'Mr Arsenal' - may be wrong of course

I suspect he wouldn't be as good in another club actually, but may be wrong there too.

Back