• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Summer transfer thread, AvB window wrap up pg 1527

Which player would you like to see take over from Luka Modric?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Spurs are considering a move for Swansea midfielder Joe Allen, who is thought to have a buy-out clause of £10m if any club other than Liverpool, Chelsea, Arsenal or the two Manchester sides bid.

We're not good enough?

Should buy him for £10m, and sell him for £15m.

Not like Daniel to pass up an opportunity like that.

Is this about Adebayor?

My guess is we'd like him but he's being stubborn in his wage demands.

Hope we sort something else, 3 weeks today season starts.

The last I saw from Ben was a suggestion we were getting Sahin as part of the Modric deal - so Im guessing here he is saying Modric deal is off and AVB isnt happy?

It's about signing players that fit into our system, he doesn't have to be one of Europes biggest names. When people say if we sign player x we won't challenge top 4 because they're not some sort of marquee signing they're talking nonsense....

Im curious how people reach these conclusions. Sometimes its completely obvious a player isnt right or good enough - but there are plenty in the middle ground that are good decent players who can fit a system and make it tick.

Top teams always have them. They might not be glamorous or high profile, but they do the job!

The last I saw from Ben was a suggestion we were getting Sahin as part of the Modric deal - so Im guessing here he is saying Modric deal is off and AVB isnt happy?

No, it's getting like Chinese whispers in here again.

Ben says we're interested in Sahin.

Jetset says we're not as AVB doesn't want him.

The stats in isolation hold Joe Allen in a positive light. He had one of the best pass completion rates last season although it has to be kept in mind that this was in a Swansea team that kept possession in a deeper position on the pitch and he appears able to be able to put in a tackle despite his slight stature. In many ways with our restricitve budget in comparison to others, i believe we have to look at signing players who have shown potential for greater improvement whilst performing in the top leagues and hope they fufill that with us. In many ways i think Allen fits this bill but as a replacement for Modric? I can't see it as anything other than a step backwards. I dont personally think it is worth spending the quoted £15 odd million it may take to secure him, especially if that means that we then can't purchase a more ready made replacement for Modders.

AVB has already said "no, no, no" when asked about Carroll.

haha you really believe him? Look beggars cant be choosers and unfortunately at the moment we are beggars when it comes to strikers.

It is also a deal for Levy, 2-3m outlay cheap and cheerful.

[Update 270] Ben re: sahin

Told we are trying sahin now could happen

[Update 272] JJetset on Sahin

Kevin Morgan ‏@whitelightyid
@jetsetyid Sahin?

The original JJetset ‏@jetsetyid
@whitelightyid There still is no deal as it fell through the other week so I'm not sure what Ben is hearing as it's not happening currently?

The original JJetset ‏@jetsetyid
@whitelightyid Yes it's dead, Mr VB doesn't likee...

Thats the first time that much has been posted - previously only seen

Who: Ben
When: 27/07/12
Where: FTL

Who: JJetset
When: 28th July
Where: Twitter

There still is no deal as it fell through the other week so I'm not sure what Ben is hearing as it's not happening currently?

He then said.............

Yes it's dead, Mr VB doesn't likee...

Not at all. Simply that Andy Carroll is not one of our targets.....

Oh ok sorry - I will rephrase.

Although Andy Carroll is not one of our targets i would not be surprised we get him in simply because we seem to be running out of options, he is fairly cheap and cheerful and he would definitely come to us.

A week before the season starts, AVB might think fudge I only have Defoe up front I need someone in arghhhhhhhhhhh - Carroll

Oh ok sorry - I will rephrase.

Although Andy Carroll is not one of our targets i would not be surprised we get him in simply because we seem to be running out of options, he is fairly cheap and cheerful and he would definitely come to us.

A week before the season starts, AVB might think fudge I only have Defoe up front I need someone in arghhhhhhhhhhh - Carroll

Oh ok, if we have that scenario then I could see that happening. To be fair that would be one of our better panic buys, I actually rate the guy....

Am I the only one here who is starting to worry about our newest administrator? With over 5 thousand posts on the new forum, Jordinho must have discovered a "Harry Potter-like time turning charm" , or "he" has developed a special computer algorithm that can decipher the written word to determine a suitable (and sometimes witty/humorous) response, which his computer can then automatically post?

The only other rational answer to his phenomenal output can be provided in the words of this classic song:

[video=youtube;LuqEbRzy_t8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LuqEbRzy_t8[/video]

.......Only joking Jordinho, please keep up the good work!!

Thats the first time that much has been posted - previously only seen

Who: Ben
When: 27/07/12
Where: FTL

Who: JJetset
When: 28th July
Where: Twitter

There still is no deal as it fell through the other week so I'm not sure what Ben is hearing as it's not happening currently?

He then said.............

Yes it's dead, Mr VB doesn't likee...

Not clear whether that's AVB doesn't like Sahin, or AVB doesn't like that it's dead.

If the former then I guess Sahin isn't as mobile or hardworking as Moutinho (though he's more creative).

Oh ok, if we have that scenario then I could see that happening. To be fair that would be one of our better panic buys, I actually rate the guy....

i think what im trying to get at is... why are we still three years without a striker? Ade seems to be a striker not that we really wanted but just seemed a feasible option.

People blamed Harry but we are nearing the season start and still no striker. That should have been or first signing in. its kinda worrying. you can have the best 10 players in a team but if you dont have a striker or two capable of finishing things off then well- mid table

Back